4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  47 reviews
One day, a little white owl sets off to see the world. When he meets some beautiful, colorful owls, he can't wait to share his toast and all of his happy stories. But these pretty owls do not want to be friends with a plain little owl like him...
Published September 2010 by Scholastic (first published 2010)

Zainab Jalil
One day, a little white owl sets off to see the world. When he meets some beautiful, colourful owls he can’t wait to share his toast and all of his happy stories, but there pretty owls do not want to be friends with a plain, little owl like him...
...that is until they realise that he may be plain on the outside but that his heart is colourful and full of wonderful, imaginative stories. The book is a brilliantly illustrated story that is imaginative and portrays a simple message about difference...more
Bethany
1. Opening: I am going to read aloud Little White Owl by Tracey Corderoy. Do you notice anything different about Little White Owl compared to the other owls on the cover? Is there a time you felt different then others around you? We have discussed how no one is the same and we all have our differences that make us unique. As I am reading listen and look for ways that Little White Owl becomes friends with other owls who are alike but also different from him, and the happiness he brings to them. A...more
Amanda Hicks
The little white owl lives all alone in the snow. He has no friends and no family. One day he got curious about what was out in the big world. On his journey, he met some bright and colorful owls. At first they didn't want anything to do with him because he did not look like them. However, after he told them many colorful stories he had kept deep down, they never wanted his sTories to end! The owls promised to keep in touch when the snow owl had to return home. This story could teach children ne...more
Amie
Title: The Little White Owl by Tracey Corderoy and Jane Chapman (2010).
Short Description of the Book: This book is about a lonely white owl that doesn’t have a name, parents, or friends, but he was still happy. One day he goes on a trip to see the world and finds rainbow colored owls. At first, the other owls do not want to talk to him or listen to him because he is different, but after listening to his happy stories, they become friends. This book helps to address diversity, but uses animals in...more
Karen
Oh my -- this book is going on my "must buy" list.

My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. When I went to return it to the library today, I couldn't find it; he had hidden it. I found it, so it will go back next week.

My son was initially drawn to the book because of the owl -- he has a love/hate relationship with owls. I was drawn to the book because of the wonderful Jane Chapman illustrations.

The little white owl doesn't look like much from the outside. He looks...more
Patricia
Chinasa Izeogu
The little white owl lives all alone in the snow, but has a vivid imagination to entertain himself. One day he feels quite alone and ventures off to find out what the world holds. He comes across a tree filled with vibrantly feathered owls. He asks to join them but is dismissed. He offers to entertain them with his stories and they grow to like him and follow him home. Corderoy has written another great story highlighting individuality. The illustrations are as whimsical as little owl's stories....more
Amber
The Little White Owl is about a young, nameless, orphaned owl whose head is full of happy, imaginative stories.

The little owl goes on an adventure and ends up finding a tree full of brightly colored owls who do not want anything to do with the little white owl because he is so plain in their eyes. Yet, this did not phase the little white owl and he convinces the colorful owls to listen to one of his stories.

The Little White Owl is a story about making friends. The colors in this book are just da...more
Ashley
A story about the power of stories? Thank you! The Little While Owl is very charming for such a lonely little guy, but he brings friendliness to a very quite crowd and teaches them about companionship and adventure. A fun book to share!
The Little White Owl is the enchanting tale of the lonely, little, white owl. He lives alone, somewhere very cold and snowy. One day he decides to venture out into the world in search of other owls. Eventually he comes upon a tropical area with many owls of vibrant hues. However these owls are not kind to the little owl as he doesn't look like one of them. But, the little owl, with his gift for creative story-telling slowly wins them over. This is a favorite book in our home for the colorful and...more
Kymberly
So cute and beautiful illustrations!!! It's about a cute little white owl who has a heart full of colorful stories! Very heartwarming and a overall good read for young ones!
Dorathea Maynard
Cute, friendly, engaging, clever, creative, and about some of my favorite things: owls, traveling, stories and storytelling!
Samantha
Nov 21, 2011 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Illustration Appreciators
To begin with, I love owls. Owls have such a majestic aura and so much wisdom. When I found this book lying about, I couldn't resist.

The story itself was so sad. I love that little white owl, but he's so alone...even after he found friends, he still ended up all alone. At each turn of the page, I kept have the urge to hug him and adopt him myself.

The illustrations are absolutely beautiful! All the owls are so colorful and adorable!! All the different patterns and colors and facial expressions...more
Kevin
Great book for teaching differences.
Rida
So cute I totally loved it!
Addie
Apr 30, 2011 Addie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
A little white owl lives by himself and doesn't have a mom, dad, or even a name. So he takes a trip and finds some pretty interesting very colorful new owls.
I LOVED this story. I love that it very subtly shows that no matter how different two people (or owls) are they can be very interesting and fun to be with. It teaches the importance of acceptance and giving others a chance even if they are different than you, because although they may look different they may be just the same as you.
Ramanda Flannery
This book is kind of like the little monkey book I read in my group. It is about a little white owl that lives all alone but keeps his head up. One day the little owl decides to go and explore his surroundings and runs into some very colorful owls. He tells them of stories about his home and they are so pleased that they want to go live there too.
I would use this book in my classroom to talk to my students about being different and not being ashamed of who they are.
Brandy Locchetta
This book is great to use throughout the school year for developing friendships, appreciating differences in one another, teaching tolerance and using your imagination. Activities that could be implemented alongside this book could include: a graph representing the different cultures present in the classroom, discuss what qualities make a good friend, talk about how the little white owl felt when no one wanted him around..., etc. Overall fantastic read!
Katie Curry
This cute book tells the story of a little white owl who lived all by himself, but never let it get him down. One day he decides to explore and finds some very colorful owls who are very different from him. The little white owl shares his magical stories from his home with them and the colorful owls desire to experience it for themselves! I would use this book to encourage my students to be different and to be proud of who they are.
Esther
Little White Owl was too cute! This white owl is very lonely until he finds an entire group of colorful owls. They initially shun him for lacking color, but after they hear of all of his wonderful stories he becomes the most popular jungle in the forest. Awesome book to discuss uniqueness, and discovering each other's strengths.
Amy Wise
This is a cute story about a white owl who decides to visit the world in search of friends and adventure. He meets some very colorful owls who at first don't want to be his friend, but he eventually wins them over with his imagination and stories. It's visually a beautiful book and the message of just being yourself is a good one.
Carissa Worm
I love this story! The little white owl is obviously very different form the rest of the owls, but he has a very special talent of story telling. All the other owls end up falling in love with him, and they see how is uniqueness is really a good thing! Great for talking about differences with students.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
4.5 stars. I loved the colors and the character designs. The little white owl is so sweet and good-natured that you can't help but like him. The other owls still don't know what hit them :) Those stuffy owls didn't stand a chance against the white owl's charming personality.

Full review to follow
Lauren
The story of the little white owl encourages kids to be different. The little white owl didn't look like anyone else or was even from the same place as everyone else. But he had wonderful stories from his home and the other owls wanted to experience it for themselves.
Cute story!
Tara
A white owl who loved toast and jam and had never met any other owls decides to go exploring. He meets some brightly colored owls who mock him for this plain plumage. His heart is happy and full of stories though, so he shares his many wonderful stories and turns them into friends.
Ana C
Dec 19, 2011 Ana C added it
THIS BOOK IS ABOUT AN OWL THAT DOESNT HAS A NAME OR A FAMILY. THIS OWL HAS ALOT OF STORIES IN HIS HEAD. THIS OWL FLIES ALL THE WAY TO OTHR OWLS AND HE ALSO VISITS THE OCEAN OR SOMETHING. THE OWLS DIDNT LIKE HIMSO HE TOLD THEM STORIES AND THEY STARTED TO LIKE HEM.
Courtney Sharpton
This is a great book. It encourages children to follow their dreams and to have adventures. Students that day dream will easily be able to relate to the little owl. The students will also love the the beautiful illustrations in the book.
Alisha Cromwell
This book was one of my favorites that we read in FE. It had great pictures and great picture support. The kindergarteners loved the book as well. Great discussion about the story after reading it.
Michaela
This is a cute book to use for friendship and imagination. The little white owl gets lonely, then goes out and meets new friends (owl) while dressing up and pretending to be different things.
Peacegal
Owls seem to go through cycles of pop-culture interest. Right now, they're stylish again.

Wonderful illustrations, rather boring and thin story.

by Tracey Corderoy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tracey is the author of Hubble Bubble, Granny Trouble. She was born and grew up in industrial South Wales and now lives in a hidden valley in Gloucestershire with her husband, two children and an ever-increasing menagerie of devilishly-cute-but-sometimes-rather-naughty pets.

A trained teacher, Tracey has always had a passion for wonderful literature and began writing for children in 2006. Her books...more
More about Tracey Corderoy...
Hubble Bubble, Granny Trouble A Flower in the Snow I Want My Mommy! Just One More Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam