Start by marking “Smart Self-Publishing: Becoming an Indie Author” as Want to Read:
Smart Self-Publishing: Becoming an Indie Author

Smart Self-Publishing: Becoming an Indie Author

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Brief, practical guide for independent authors covering a myriad of topics from cover art to formatting to marketing tips.

Publisher's Note:

This title is no longer available. Contents out-of-date. Removed from the market.
Kindle Edition
Published November 6th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Smart Self-Publishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Self-Publishing

Linda Acaster
This is an excellent, no-nonsense guide by a woman who, in British terms, doesn't suffer fools gladly and isn't afraid to call a spade a ******** shovel. For someone who has gone down the indie route within the last year, I found much to agree with and much to tick for future reference.

The book covers everything a writer proposing to go indie needs to consider, both on the print and ebook front, and is an excellent one-stop-shop to organise a plan of action.

I have to add that I came across the n
Jill Myles
I bought this because I'm a sucker for 'How To' Guides, and a lot of it is basic information that you can find on the net just by poking around and doing simple searches. That being said, there is a lot of good, focused information in here, and if you're interested in self-publishing but don't know where to start, I think this is a great place.

That being said, if you already know where you're going in self-publishing and are looking for tips and tricks to take you to the NEXT level, this might n
Janette Fuller
This book is a crash course on self-publishing. It begins with discussing the meaning of self-publishing and determining if it is going to be right for you. Ms. Winters lists the following "success predictors" in indie authors;

You need to be a good writer.
You need to have the ability to separate yourself from your work.
You have to be a self-starter.
You have to be organized.
You have to be in it for the long haul.
You need the ability to blaze your own trail and forget the naysayers.
You need
Sara Reinke
In a style that's both informative and entertaining, Zoe Winters shares her trials, tribulations and tricks of the trade when it comes to the growing world of independent publishing. Winters doesn't pull any punches, or promise quick money or easy answers. She emphasizes that her personal approach is that of running a business, something any writer -- no matter their avenue of publication -- should do. Like any business, indie publishing is a gamble. But for those who are not only brave enough t ...more
Becca Mills
This is the single most useful book I've read in a long time. Winters covers the process not only of becoming an independently published author, but of pursuing success through marketing once you've made your book available, and she does it comprehensively. I very much wish I had read this book earlier in my own authorship process.

The book begins with a look at the mindset of the successful indie author. Some of Winters's suggestions might seem obvious (for instance, that you have to set and adh
Eden Tyler
Loved it. I like Zoe's straight-forward style and how she expresses that these things are what have worked for her, but doesn't demand you do it the same way. They are just suggestions, albeit great ones, to give you a really good base to do even more research as to the direction you want to take your book. I recommend it to any writer -- even those going the traditional publishing route ... so people know this is a good, viable option. Not necessarily just a path for those who can't get publish ...more
Ana Mardoll
Smart Self-Publishing / B004AYD90U

I want to be clear that I'm glad I bought this book. It was a good read, very entertaining, and had a lot of valuable information in it. I was jotting notes as I went and I feel like I've learned a lot.

However, this book could be a lot better. I would really like to see a few more end-of-chapter and topical checklists so that you don't have to dig back through prose each time you want to look something up. And while for the most part I enjoyed the author's conv
Ty
If you are trying to make it as an indie author, aka a self-published author, in this modern digital world, you really need to be checking out the blog of paranormal romance indie author Zoe Winters. Though I don't normally read paranormal romance books, for some little time now I've been following Zoe's career and some of her advice. Because she has a lot of good advice to give! Zoe can be quite opinionated at times, but I find her funny. Zoe recently released this e-book about her path to succ ...more
Marc
If you're thinking about becoming an indie author, I believe this book is for you. It's great for beginners and people that have tons of questions. It'll help you decide which route to go. The problem is if you've already decided to go that route, you'll not find it that helpful.

This book didn't go into much detail as I thought it would. I've gotten more help from Zoe's blog posts. There was a lot of generalities in here. Just when something became useful or informational, it was on to the next
Jamie DeBree
It's difficult making the decision to "go indie", though it's getting easier by the day. Once you do, there's so much to learn and think about it can be very overwhelming. Zoe Winters breaks down the process to the absolute basics in this easy-to-read manual. Her style is conversational and very accessible, and the information presented in a logical, linear fashion that will demystify getting your work from draft to market.

Any writer who has either made the decision or is thinking about self-pu
Edie Ramer
So much information is packed into the pages, yet it's easy to follow, written in a way that actually makes it interesting. Even when she talks about the technical side. I'd already self-published my first book when I read this, but I still found information that helped me with my next one. And the information on promotion is brilliant! I emailed a tip to a writer friend who has a NY publisher. My only complaint is that I didn't have this for my first book. This is a must have guide for any indi ...more
Kimberly
This is one of the most helpful things I've seen on indie publishing, written in a style that is straightforward and accessible. Zoe Winters covers everything you need to start out publishing your own books, without drowning you in confusing information. She gives you just what you need to know, in simple enough terms that you can start immediately, and gives a much more realistic picture of the joys and pitfalls of being an indie author. And most importantly, she explains everything in such cle ...more
Marty Byk
Want to be an indie author? Buy this book! You can buy some others..but if you don't buy this one first...you're crazy. The casual and blunt style makes one feel as if the author's sitting next to you at some Target-bought backyard picnic table and you're both slamming down fistfuls of Turkish Coffee with Tanqueray chasers. It's funny, no-frills and dead on. It's the straight poop in all it's splendor. Self publishing isn't for the feint of heart but Zoe's book is the perfect companion to help y ...more
TL Jeffcoat
Are you wanting to become an Indie Author? Even if it's just one book, or if you want to make a living at it. This book is good. It's got a lot of useful information on how to format, who to use for printing and so on. It's also written by the same Zoe Winters that likes to speak her mind. That made it an entertaining read as well. An outspoken Indie Author that shares her secrets. Take notes while you read it. You're going to need this stuff to make it work right.
Ally
Loved this book. I really didn't expect it to be so detailed and instructive. It was cheap, and I expected it to be more full of personal anecdotes and encouragement because that's how these books usually are. But it's full of actual, practical advice. I'm Canadian, so some of the advice won't apply to me, but there are a lot of resources here. I think I'm going to go back over it as a reference guide.
Heather
I think a year ago I'd have rated this six stars. If you're a new indie writer this will be a terrific resource to get yourself going. However, I am about to release my fifth novel and much of the content here isn't new to me. However, I did find several interesting web sites and marketing tips, and I think they'll help me, so even experienced indie writers might want to check this one out.
Annette
I'm about 3/4 of the way through this book and am enjoying it immensely. Zoe has a laugh out loud sense of humor and it's backing up a lot of the information I've gleaned from reading other blogs and self publishing books. Thorough and entertaining. I'd recommend it for anyone on the fence about self publishing simply because Ms. Winters has a no holds barred approach to the topic.
Anne Mitchell
Short and sweet guide: some really useful advice (it genuinely hadn't occurred to me that self-pubbers can make their book any length they want!). Personally I'd have liked more on marketing and less on formatting (it doesn't cost much to get a professional to do the formatting, but you're on your own when it comes to the marketing). First book I read on my new Kindle!
Jay
If you're thinking about joining the indie publishing route this is a must-read for you. It's short, sweet, and to the point. There's more than enough information to get you started. Where she doesn't cover an item in-depth, she points you to the best place to find out. Don't start down the indie road without reading from Zoe's experience!
L.M.
A thoroughly helpful book for those who are interested in self-publishing. I used nearly 100% of the steps in this book for my own publishing journey. A wealth of resources are listed in the book. Also, Winter's candid and blunt writing style is refreshing and enjoyable.
Madeline Franklin
This book has a whole lot of information that was enlightening and incredibly valuable. Ms Winters is deinitely gung-ho about the self-publishing biz, which is awesome. A great read for anyone who's interested in self publishing their own work.
Simone Cannon
Great book if you're clueless about the independant publishing process. Zoe Winters supplied suggestions based on her own trial and error blunders. Reading this book will allow authors who self publish to proceed with caution.
Diane Vallere
Perfect tone for what it is. I don't know Zoe Winters, but I felt like I had a friend who takes no BS sitting on my shoulder saying, "Get on with it, already!" Highly recommended for anyone considering the Indie Author avenue.
A smart and highly readable guide for those considering or just starting out on the indie path - a must read for anyone considering self-publishing. I'd love to see her write some more advanced level books on indie publishing.
Jeanine
Zoe Winters is awesome! I would reccomend this book to anyone who is thinking about self-publishing their book, or books. I loved the way Zoe got down to business and didn't waste any time with bull sh**!
P. Alderman
Excellent advice for those authors who want to take the Indie plunge. Zoe's been at it since the beginning of Kindle days, and she's being generous enough to share her wisdom with the rest of us.
Wendy Bertsch
Zoe Winters has an entertaining voice and a down-to-earth approach to self-publishing that may save you a lot of grief.

Enjoy the book. Take the advice.
Narcisse Navarre
This book by Zoe Winters had some very helpful, no nonsense advice to offer the would-be indie publisher. I found it a worthwhile read. Recommended.
Lori Perry
This was very informative and made the self-pub proccess a lot less confusing and intimidating. Step by step guide that is really useful.
Shay Ray Stevens
First book I ever read about self publishing and I still refer back to it. :) Great tips, honest, and well worth your time to read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Writing Fight Scenes
  • Smashwords Style Guide
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • Save My Soul (Preternaturals, #2)
  • Mugging the Muse
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • Writing Active Setting: Characterization and Sensory Detail (Active Setting, #1)
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Keys to Great Writing
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
  • The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing

“Whatever you may have heard, self-publishing is not a short cut to anything. Except maybe insanity. Self-publishing, like every other kind of publishing, is hard work. You don’t wake up one morning good at it. You have to work for that.” 6 likes