Start by marking “Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1)

Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  42,740 Ratings  ·  4,820 Reviews
Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what i
Published September 22nd 2011 by BookSurge Publishing (first published January 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tiger's Curse, please sign up.

Jess It depends - lots of people enjoyed it but I personally really hated it because the main character is quite annoying.

Emily May
Nov 05, 2015 Emily May rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I had to describe Tiger's Curse in one word, that word would be embarrassing. I'm not joking.

Have you ever been in the company of one of those people who is not vindictive or mean, but is unintentionally racist in a way that makes you feel really uncomfortable? Maybe they mimic a foreign accent and think they're being funny. Or they make a joke and don't know the history well enough to know how not fucking funny it is. This book is like one of those people.

Let's start at the beginning of thi
Colleen Houck
Umm, Obviously I've read it since I wrote it. Have most of the lines memorized now.
Lea

**WARNING:** RANTING AHEAD....

This one is actually getting 1.5 stars NOT 2-- THAT'S how much I loath you Kelsey Hayes-- you can take your dumb "love-plant" and SHOVE IT.

***********************************************

What would you do if someone offered you an all-expenses-paid trip to India with a mysterious white tiger who also happens to be a handsome Indian prince? Eighteen-year old Kelsey Hayes is faced with just this offer after spending 2 weeks working as a hired hand at a local circus one
Vinaya
Seriously, GR? I mean, SERIOUSLY? You thought you could just... delete my review and it would be gone forever? I'll take your deletion and raise you one cached copy of my review and one middle finger.

My five year old nephew had to prepare a piece about himself for kindergarten last week. It went something like this: Hi, my name is Manoj. I'm five years old. I like singing. I am also a good dancer. My favourite food is Maggi noodles.

What's shocking is that Colleen Houck's prose bears a startlin
V
May 17, 2014 V rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Tiger’s Curse has to be one of the most embarrassingly incompetent books I have ever read.

When I first read it in February 2012, I railed against its poor quality and abominably ridiculous characters, but ultimately didn’t include it in my end-of-year ranking of the worst books I’d read. In fact, I was even generous enough to give it half a star for some modicum of originality.

I’m now prepared to shave off that half a star and promise to kick my paradox self upside the head if I ever get the op
Holli
If you are looking for a good YA paranormal romance series, look no further. SERIOUSLY. You will read, re-read, and then read some more ... until your entire life, lives, breaths, screams, TIGER, and your family threatens to have you committed. Just start collecting everything Tiger now, and save yourself some time. :)

Now that I've got that out of the way, lets start with the review.

Appearance...

The first thing I noticed when I spotted this book was the detail in the cover. I'm not a shallow
Demo
Aug 14, 2012 Demo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of un-self-confident martyr heroines
Ceilidh
Jul 05, 2013 Ceilidh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m white. Being white means I have a certain level of privilege that people of colour are not afforded. I’ve never had to experience racism, I’ve never been slurred based on the colour of my skin and I don’t have to live with the extreme social and economic gap that people of colour do in terms of employment, higher education, sexual assault, health issues, etc. Sometimes when I’m looking at an issue, it can be very easy for me to look over the experiences of others. This isn’t deliberate but i ...more
Kogiopsis
Edit: 9/27/2014 Retroactively reducing my ratings for these books because when I first read them I did not notice the racism/cultural appropriation.

Okay, I just cannot be bothered to write a long review for this book. I can barely be bothered to write a review at all. The writing was terrible and the pacing painful from beginning to end, but the characters weren't a total waste (well, until Kelsey suddenly and inexplicably decided to be stupid and push Ren away. You know, I was sort of enjoying
Ashley
When I was nine years old, I wrote a story called "The Two Trees," which in addition to being basically plagiarized from a number of sources (most notably The Ordinary Princess, but also a smidge here and there from Aladdin the film and The Farthest-Away Mountain), was obviously written by a nine year old. Like, if you would have picked it up and read it completely out of context and then somebody asked you to list off three things that described it, the list would look something like this:

1. Pr
Faye, la Patata
Oct 21, 2015 Faye, la Patata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I TRIED, GUYS. I TRIED. BUT I JUST CANNOT FINISH THIS... THIS THING.

Just look at my status updates to see why I abhor... ABHOR... this book.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:

Exhibit E:

I am DONE!. I wouldn't wish this book even upon my worst enemy.
Zuleeza
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

I had a high hope. A very high hope. As high as Charlie Sheen on crack.

Yup, you got the idea.

I like how the overall concept based on an Indian myth. Hmpphh...I just like stories from India in general. I can watch Hindi movies without subtitles.

I kid you not.

I like cats. Tiger, leopard, cheetah, puma, they are ALL cats to me. I'll risk my life just to pat their heads.

Unfortunately, I had risk my sanity because this book has cats tigers.

It wasn't pl
Inday-Elie
Jan 26, 2012 Inday-Elie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who wants to get swoon out for a change, people who have a very bland lovelife lol
WARNING: This book has the ability to make you succumb to constant daydreams and irregular bouts of hopeless romanticism while reading. So word of advice? grab that pillow and head for your room, cause someone might think you've lost it when they see you squealing around like an idiot. haha!

oh my....is it so wrong to think that Alagan Dhiren would probably look like this?

or maybe this?

While I, on the other hand is looking like this...

Initial reaction.

yousexy Pictures, Images and Photos

then...

lol! Im swept all over!! :)
okey,
Cait (Paper Fury)
I wanted to read this book because a) fantasy, b) tigers!! and c) the COVER IS DOWNRIGHT GORGEOUS. #ShallowBookworm Several people warned me that it wasn't terrific buuuuut....I read it anyway. I'm not SORRY I read it. But it really was a pudding of cliches and annoyances and DISTURBING ROMANCE and slowness. Consider me wailing. It's so gorgeous. Omg. That cover. I am forever devastated.

STUFF THAT ANNOYED ME AN EXTRAORDINARY AMOUNT:
• The narrator, Kelsey, is as interesting as a burnt potato. She
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Well, I had trouble deciding between 2 and 3 stars on this one. I feel like 2 stars seems harsh, but 3 is too many. It would probably be like a 2.5, but I'm rounding it down because ... I'm a mean person, I guess. This book did have some redeeming qualities, but over all it was just kinda "meh" for me.

When I started reading this, I thought it was pretty good. It was a unique and interesting premise, with an unusual setting. And Kelsey seemed like a decent protagonist at first. But, then the plo
Erica (daydreamer)
NO! No no no no! Kelsey, go back, go back!

Oh my gosh, this book, this breathtaking, thrilling, romantic, utterly perfect book. It swept me away in blissful awe. The India setting, the mythical lure, the enchanting curse, the charmed aura of India’s 300 year old prince. I was completely captivated by the story, the characters, the setting, just, everything! And the romance, oh so swoon. So completely gush worthy and butterfly inducing and breathtaking. This book is so original and creative. A 300
Jen
I'm so mad at this book I'm writing this review before I finish listening to the last hour, which has been torture to listen to.

I started out loving this book which is the only reason it does not have 1 star. I loved the strong, brave, kind main character Kelsey, who got stuff done without whining about it. I loved the Indian mythology and the curse-breaking premise. I was willing to look past the somewhat sappy and cheesy romantic dialogue because unlike certain other books *coughtwilightcough*
Adriana
Prepare thyselves: this is going to be a long-winded review.

When I think of my experience with Tiger’s Curse, I think “traumatizing”—contending with many other words for the title, of course. Reading this novel ignites a vicious hatred and an anger within me—the likes of which I have not felt since I mistakenly read Fifty Shades of Grey (I don’t want to talk about it). Not only is this book written appallingly and not only should it have never even been CONSIDERED for publication, but it is frig
Sakina
Sep 29, 2014 Sakina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
Recommended to Sakina by: Ashley

Oh goodness...reading this was pure torture!!!

When I was recommended this book, I saw the cover and the title and thought, "wow interesting" then I read the synopsis: A 300-hundred year old Indian curse? A trip halfway around the world? Magic, Dark Forces, Risk, Ancient prophecy? And along with the fact that many of my friends gave this book a 4 or 5 star rating. I was exuberant to start this. When I started reading this book I didn't know I was setting myself up for MAJOR disappointment!

Dana
Dec 24, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Something that happens all the time in YA novels:

description

WHHHY Kelsey! Even after (view spoiler)

Other than that, I loved the book.
Cndbooks
Oct 25, 2011 Cndbooks rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't say this really captured my attention. In all honesty I couldn't wait for it to be finished.
I realize this is a young adult book, but I feel like the writing is rather juvenile. There are a lot of descriptions that don't need to be in there. Some of it was beautiful and the Indian mythology was interesting, but there was dialogue and events that could have been scrapped. There were things mentioned that I thought must have only been in there because it was going to come up later, and th
Anoolka
Where the hell did my review of this book go?! Who's deleting the reviews? It's a good thing I remember what annoyed me in this book and will write this review yet again. I might have given it a 2 for actually interesting setting, but..no.

Non-western country in urban fantasy YA lit. I'm there! Only it just does not live up to the potential. All the bits and pieces that are supposed to show us India and it's culture/mythology feel like lifted from Wikipedia. And I just don't get the hype. I gave
Helen Stavraki
May 27, 2016 Helen Stavraki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Η συγκλονιστική κατάρα του τίγρη που σε μαγεύει και σε ταξιδεύει σε ονειρεμένους κόσμους.
Μια παραμυθένια ιστορία αγάπης γεμάτη δράση αγωνία τρυφερότητα ρομαντισμό και μαγευτικές εξελίξεις.
Βασιλιάδες παλάτια ναοί θεές πρίγκιπες μυστικά αιώνων δυσεπιλυτοι γρίφοι ινδική κουλτούρα αρχαίος πολιτισμός κατάρες προδοσίες και παρα πολλή αγάπη ειναι τα στοιχεία του βιβλίου που το κάνουν απίστευτο συναρπαστικό τρυφερό και αξιόλογο σε σημείο να κατέχει επάξια μια θέση στην καρδιά του αναγνώστη.
Απολαυστικ
Mizuki
What a huge disappointment! If I could give the book zero star, I would have.

When I first read book's description on the backcover of Colleen Houck's Tiger's Curse, the first book of an adventure fantasy series which roofed itself both in the modern day India and the Hindu mythological world of curses, demons and deities; I was intrigued and wanted nothing more than to read the book. Adventure! Hindu mythology! Goddess Durga! What can possibly go wrong with all these supposedly epic setting?

Bu
Heather
There are very few books that leave me feeling the way this did! There's that saying that, 'you may forget what someone did or said, but you will never forget the WAY they made you FEEL'....Well, that's the way this series is for me. There may be some annoyances I have with it, such as the long explainations Mr. Kaddam always gives Kelsey about the myths, ect., and the Golden Fruit that can magically produce any kind of beverage or food for you, and the Divine Scarf that can make any type of clo ...more
Alexanne
Sep 30, 2011 Alexanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colleen Houck's Tiger's Curse took me on a life changing and spell binding trip to India for under $20. Never had I felt so emotionally attached to characters before. The Indian princes' sorrowful and painful yet mysterious and enchanting pasts really exites readers to learn more about these two compelling characters. And how can anyone forget the passionate romance brewing between our lovely Kelsey Hayes and her handsome prince Dhiren...and his younger brother Kishan? It seems Miss Kelsey is to ...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ok, I have to admit, I didn't read this book. Instead my 13 year old niece read it. She wanted the book and I happened to win it! Works out great right?

This is what she basically said:

"Can you get me the next book? I really want it. It was awesome". I asked her to explain why it was awesome, she said "I don't know, it just was, are you going to buy me the next one".

I guess that sums it up! I asked her how many stars she would give it, out of 5, she said 4 stars. I asked her why, she said "I don
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Re-read from Aug 10th-13th, 2013: I wanted to re-read this series for such a long time, and now I finally am! My feelings for this book are pretty much the same as before so I'm not changing the rating. I found it a lot easier to read this time because I was prepared for what was to come, like the super long paragraphs where they just described stuff or explained something.

Also, I noticed how Colleen planted little clues here and there of what was to come later in the series. I thought that was
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Full of magic, folklore, action and most importantly love in its true form, Tiger's Curse is one novel you must read.

Kelsey is an orphan who lives with her foster family in Oregon. She gets a job at the circus to help the animal trainer with the dogs and the tiger. Having a special bond with the tiger, Kelsey is immediately attached to Ren, the beautiful majestic Bengal white tiger. So much so that she gets invited to India, since Ren has been bought to live in a sanctuary. Kelsey agrees and sh
  • Cascade (River of Time, #2)
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • The Highwayman of Tanglewood
  • The Forgotten Locket (Hourglass Door, #3)
  • Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)
  • Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars, #1)
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • Darker Still (Magic Most Foul, #1)
  • Firelight (Firelight, #1)
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
  • The Gypsy King (The Gypsy King, #1)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Endless Magic (Star-Crossed, #4)
  • If I Should Die (Revenants, #3)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Illusions (Wings, #3)
  • Shifting
New York Times Bestselling Author Colleen Houck is a lifelong reader whose literary interests include action, adventure, science fiction, and romance. Formerly a student at the University of Arizona, she worked as a nationally certified American Sign Language interpreter for seventeen years before switching careers to become an author. Colleen lives in Salem, Oregon, with her husband and a huge as ...more
More about Colleen Houck...

The Tiger Saga (5 books)
  • Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
  • Tiger's Voyage (The Tiger Saga, #3)
  • Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga, #4)
  • Tiger's Dream (The Tiger Saga, #5)

“The fact is…I’m in love with you, and I have been for some time.” 584 likes
“Perfect! Now we're being chased by hoards of monkeys! Perhaps you would care to name their species as we're attacked, just so I can appreciate the special traits of said monkey as it kills me!"
"At least when the monkeys are harassing you, you dont have any time to harass me!”
389 likes