No Fighting, No Biting! (I Can Read! - Level 2)

No Fighting, No Biting! (I Can Read! - Level 2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  35 reviews
FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Sometimes Rosa and Willy behave like the two little alligators in the stories Cousin Joan tells them.
School, 64 pages
Published November 1st 1978 by Turtleback (first published 1958)

Jane
I remember reading this book again and again. I love the story within the story which one never, NEVER sees in a beginning reader. I love that it's about the power of story.
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Contrarius
This book created one of the standard refrains of my childhood -- "No fighting, no biting!". That's what my mom would always tell my brother and me when we'd start getting too rowdy. I don't know how much that mantra actually calmed us down, but it certainly stuck with us. And since the phrase is still with me 40 years later, the book deserves all the stars I'm giving it. ;)
Tricia
children cannot get along and aunt joan shares a story about alligators with them. can i say that this is truly an easy reader classic? the illustrations (especially the facial expressions on both child and beast) really make the story.
Amanda
ah, one of THE books of my childhood.
at almost 40 i still reprimand myself with the classic words oft repeated to me by my sister

NO FIGHTING
NO BITING
Jen
This book is blah, blah, blah. Falls flat on its fanny from trying too hard to be a moral tale.
Jack&jude
Did not finish. The boys did not like it.
Rosa Cline
Even though this is a beginning reader; young listeners may get bored with it. The storyline is a cute one that starts out with human children fighting with one another then they are separated and read to and they begin to listen to a couple of baby alligators and what they all go through and learn that they shouldn't fight and argue with one another. It is a chapter book. My 21 mth granddaughter that usually enjoys sitting listening to books was bored with this book. But other children may like...more
When my sons were small we checked this book out of the public library at least once a month. They loved hearing about the 2 little alligators that almost get goobled up by a big alligator because they can't stop fighting and biting each other.

It is a great read aloud book for preschoolers, and perfect read alone book for kids a little older.

Pictures and storie (it is basically broken up into 4 stories) make this books one of my hands down favorites.
Stephanie Harris
This is the first book I ever read for myself. I still have the copy. I just sat down one day when I was about 4 and started reading, causing my mother to start screaming (I was the first child, obviously). From the day my second son figured out how to piss off his brother, my mantra was, "no fighting, no biting," and I have been known to refer to my children, now almost grown, as Lightfoot and Quickfoot. I look forward to reading it to my grandchildren one day.
Wooden Horse
I ended up editing and abridging this rather drastically as I was reading it to a 3-year old. It was originally written in 1958 and has a substantial amount of text. The main reason I cut a lot out was because the two siblings repeatedly squabble about where to sit on the couch which just became to tedious to read on every other page.
Maggie
I've decided to start marking books that were my favorites as a child so I don't forget to buy them for the children in my life.
===========
I think I liked this book because between my brothers and I, we likely needed this reminder more often than not.
Vicki Jaeger
Sep 12, 2009 Vicki Jaeger rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
One of my favorite kid's books of all times! (Entering it here so I remember it for baby shower gifts in the future.) We loved this book so much that the title became a saying in our house. A great book to talk about sibling rivalry & getting along nicely.
Kate
My older sister used to read this to my younger brother and me when she was stuck babysitting for us. It was fine advice then, and so it remains! I am delighted that I Can Read has made these titles available to newer generations.
Cheryl in CC NV
Hm. It's amusing, but I don't think amazingly so. It's a reflection of authentic childhood of any age - siblings that close in age will bicker. And they won't learn not to just from a book.
Jake
Since this is from the author of the "Little Bear" books, we had high hopes . . . but it was kind of boring at the beginning, and didn't make a whole lot of sense at some parts. But whatevs. :)
Kara
My mom turned the title into a house rule when my siblings and I were little. It was a necessary rule - we were all tiny savages with sharp little teeth. Ah, memories.
Brittany Perry
One with a good set of moral values and good behavior in it. I think it is better than an average children's book that has no point these days other than to entertain.
Melissa Mcavoy
A simple story that merges a squabbling pair of siblings with a tale of equally fractious alligator babies. Sendak's drawings are wonderful, as usual.
Anne
A very good book to read for kids to teach them about fighting, hitting or biting. And as usual, love the illustrations by Maurice Sendak!
Monica
One of my favorites from childhood...probably because I had a younger brother and we could identify a bit with the children in the story.
Jill
The story uses two alligator siblings to teach a brother and sister on how not to behave. I loved being read this story as a child!
Jocelyn Haeberle
A story within a story, each one with a moral but each one very enjoyable. I really enjoy the illustrations, the characters, etc.
Recs
this book is a bit bizarre. i like it because i love the alligators. the language is a little old- it's hard to read aloud.
Jennie
One of my families favorite books. As my dad always says "No fighting! No biting! And no blood on the carpet!" ;)
Summer
The kids loved the alligator stories, but they didn't like they last story about Rosa's tooth.
Julia
Another beloved Early Reader from my childhood about manners and getting along with siblings.
Jamie
This was one of very favorite books in 1st grade. This was a fun find at the library.
CLM
A childhood favorite, and I found a copy for my nephews a week or so ago!
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Old Mother West Wind
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • The Golden Egg Book
Else Holmelund Minarik is the author of the Little Bear series of children's books, which were successful as books, and were also made into a successful children's TV series. The Little Bear books sold more than 6 million copies worldwide.

Else Minarik was also the author of another well-known book, No Fighting, No Biting!

She was born in Denmark, and with her family immigrated to the United States...more
More about Else Holmelund Minarik...
Little Bear Little Bear's Friend A Kiss for Little Bear Little Bear's Visit Father Bear Comes Home