Start by marking “Executive Privilege: with Capitol Murder teaser” as Want to Read:
Executive Privilege: with Capitol Murder teaser

Executive Privilege: with Capitol Murder teaser (Dana Cutler #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  5,139 Ratings  ·  526 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Phillip Margolin is back, this time with a powerful tale of murder that snakes its way through Washington, D.C.'s halls of power, leading straight to the White House and the most powerful office on earth.

When private detective Dana Cutler is hired by an attorney with powerful political connections, the assignment seems simple enough: follo
Audio
Published May 20th 2008 by HarperAudio

To ask other readers questions about Executive Privilege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executive Privilege

Marvin
Oct 15, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Executive Privilege is what some would call an airport novel or, a little less kind, a potboiler. Before you take that as a criticism, let me comment that there is a important need for potboilers. Man can not live on Pynchon alone. Sometime we need to escape into a world where good and bad is tightly defined, the sex is sleazy, and everything is wrapped up in a neat if ridiculously implausible package.

Phillip Margolin writes really good airport novels. While Thomas Pynchon need not worry about h
Adrian McCarthy
It's not a bad book, it just wasn't for me. I don't care for the style of writing; there's far to much telling instead of showing. I don't want a three paragraph backstory interrupting the action every time we meet a new character. There were too many point of view characters to really identify with anyone. The plot held no surprises. You immediately know who the good guys are, who the bad guys are, and the story just sort of plays out without anyone facing any real challenges. I never once felt ...more
Kevin Allmaras
Nov 19, 2011 Kevin Allmaras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of the series with Brad Miller and Dana Cutler. Thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Good introduction of characters, nice plot line that keeps you guessing and plenty of action. A real page turner. The story starts out as a young college student is murdered and is mutilated like a victim of a notorious serial killer. Dana Cutler an ex-cop turned private eye has been hired by an unnamed client to follow the young woman when she tracks her to a private home that has high security she starts takin ...more
grixor
Jun 23, 2016 grixor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truyện hay, đọc cũng có tính li kì, nhưng cái kết chưa được hoành tráng cho lắm. Nếu có sách, mình chắc vẫn sẽ đọc tiếp Dana Cutler.

Một vài review mình vừa đọc phê bình cách viết của tác giả, cách tác giả miêu tả nhân vật. Thực sự là mình không để ý đến mấy cái chi tiết đó, hoặc có thể dịch giả đã hoàn thành quá tốt nhiệm vụ của mình.

Mình đọc cuốn này trong tình trạng vất vưởng, ngồi/nằm trên xe suốt 20 tiếng đồng hồ, rồi đọc nốt trong tình trạng 3h sáng dậy không ngủ lại được, nên review có vẻ
Caitlin O'Sullivan
The President of the United States is linked to the murders of two young women by a junior lawyer and a private detective, triggering a race against time as ruthless elements connected to the president attempt to destroy evidence and the Good Guys attempt to find it and bring the killer to justice.

As other GoodReaders have noted, this is an airport novel: twist-and-turn-y enough to keep your attention, but not so complicated that it ever risks confusing the reader. I'd be happy to give it three
Rick
Jan 04, 2013 Rick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit that after finishing this work I was scratching my head. It wasn't the "mystery" element of the book the cause this condition -- instead, I was perplexed at how the author managed to make an interesting concept into a pretty boring mystery book.

Now I won't brag that I'm a great intellect nor did I expect a tour de force novel. But I figured out "who-dunit" in the first quarter of the book so the only real remaining suspense was how the author was going to pad the book for the balance
Lori
Apr 13, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Marcus
Apr 21, 2011 Marcus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Very strange - I couldn't get into this book despite all the action. It just didn't grab me. There was just something about it that struck me as...I don't know pedestrian maybe? But here's the strange thing, one quarter of the way into a book that's not grabbing me, I pick up Hostage Zero by John Gilstrap and am hooked almost right from the start even though both are from the same genre, political thriller/action story.

However, while HZ started off with the discovery of a kidnapped boy and a pr
Michael
Aug 23, 2013 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a published author so I don't like writing terrible reviews, but this is a book review site after all. I see that only eight people have given this book one star. I'm going to be the ninth.

There is a lot of telling and not showing in the writing. Never have I read a book and been so distracted by the writing that I started trying to figure out how it could have been written better. My prose has never been that great, but this book should give aspiring writers everywhere hope that one da
Nicole Hughes
Um. This book is hard to figure out. I love the creativity and the main plot idea behind this book. PLUS, I got it free on my Kindle! Whoo hoo! However, it was one of the most poorly written books, in terms of style, I have ever read. It was almost painful to read. Ugh. I was interested in the book and wanted to finish it, but the plot twists seemed obvious, and the style was on a 7th grade level. Gross.

Mrs. Horton, you read this one right? I am curious what you thought about the style.
Una Tiers
Jan 02, 2013 Una Tiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, the blood and gore precluded me from giving it five stars. The pace is terrific. Characters are a little shallow. The author keeps you guessing until the surprise ending.
Feb 26, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm not the largest fan of legal thrillers, Phillip Margolin has always managed to grab my attention. I became hooked when I read Sleeping Beauty (2004) which, despite the various negative reviews I've read on it, was actually very, very suspenseful and unpredictable.

Executive Privilege features scandal in the White House; in which young girls turn up dead after having "relations" with the President of the United States. When tough-girl, private investigator Dana Cutler witnesses a secr
Stacey
Jan 08, 2009 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacey by: Amy
This book is super exciting and definitely a page turner, or in my case, next disc please! I enjoyed it so much I listened to it a second time before returning it to the library.
This is the kind of book that would make an awesome movie only we all know it would be mutilated since books are always better than the movies!
Dana Cutler is an ex-cop turned PI after a horrible personal experience. Dana is hired by a DC attorney to tail Charlotte Walsh, a teenage campaign volunteer and college student
Jo-Anne
Apr 20, 2013 Jo-Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dana Cutler, a former cop turned private eye, is asked to follow a young college student. After taking pictures of her at a farmhouse and being chased by armed guards the college student is killed by a serial killer. Later Dana is amazed when her pictures showed the college student met with the President. Meanwhile, across the country, Brad Miller, a young associate at a Oregon law firm is handling the appeal of a serial killer who is adamant about the one murder he didn't commit. It is the murd ...more
Dan Pollock
Aug 07, 2013 Dan Pollock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a mystery fan, certainly not a legal mystery fan. And I don't consider Phillip Margolin a dazzling writer or stylist, like Scott Turow, say. But he is a master storyteller, and not a waster of words. The sense of story traction is instantaneous, the characters are sharply drawn, sympathetic or despicable, as needed; and the legal expertise obvious. But best of all is the sense of an intricate, skilfully engineered and complex plot, with information revealed or concealed carefully by the ...more
Jay Deb
Dec 31, 2012 Jay Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nicely plotted novel, no doubt. A woman PI is the main protagonist who does all sorts wired things once she uncovers that the president might be involved in murder of a teenager. Story moves on to another teenager's murder by apparently a serial killer. Guess who is the real murderer?
A young lawyer uncovers the truth about second murder and stumbles upon a third murder. The president does things that, for me, fails the plausibility test.
Lot of action, as CIA agents etc try to wipe the murder
Margie
Jun 22, 2011 Margie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like the writings of Phillip Margolin, but he dropped the ball with this book. It has to do with the President of the US, who is a horndog and his secret service men covering for him. There are a series of murders which may or may not be tied indirectly to the president. This was all very interesting except that he kills the book by not keeping up the suspense as the killer is caught.
Tom
Jun 04, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Altogether ridiculously far-fetched. Don't bother; though, if you're stranded and it's the only book available, and you get started, you will want to find out what the hell happens to these wholly implausible people in a wholly implausible situation.
Coki
Nov 11, 2008 Coki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blech - "twist" ending seen from the very beginning. Flashback at the beginning of the book never supported. Bad characterization. All of this makes for a poorly written book. Margolin - you are off the list.
Judy
Oct 29, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great beach read! It kept my interest start to finish. As a matter of fact, it was a real page-turner for me. Even though I figured things out a good while before the ending, the author did a great job of making me want to see how he would work things out. Definitely worth my time.
Chris
Mar 03, 2016 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm a big fan of Phillip Margolin's books, I was disappointed in this one. The characters were interesting, but the premise was so unrealistic! I felt let down!
Betsy
Oct 04, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why I have not read this author before. I enjoyed the story and the tenacity of Dana. I will continue on in the series. 4 stars
Charles Thibos
Jan 17, 2016 Charles Thibos rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not good
The Truong
The premise is too unbelievable of a story.
Kshydog
Liked this book more than many others because not a lot of time was wasted with descriptions yet the action kept moving. It was a hard book to start as so many people were getting introduced but at least they almost all ended up in the story and actually played a part in it. Although it was not hard to figure who were going to be important suspects, the way that the action went made it interesting.
Todd
Feb 20, 2017 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast and intense

Fast pace, endearing heroes and nasty villains. And a twist at the end. Check it out you won't regret it.
Judy Green
Jan 24, 2017 Judy Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UNC+
Tal
Mar 07, 2017 Tal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though there are a LOT of similarities in all of his books that I have read thus far, the combination of characters boost this book back into the 4 zone for me.
Nancy
Oct 06, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting settings, political intrigue and plot twist made this an pleasing read.
Katherine W.
3.5 Stars

Entertaining but predictable.
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • From the Ashes
  • The Hunt
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Protector
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • Gutshot Straight
  • Amberville
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Spinning
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • The Breath of God
  • Everybody's Daughter

Dana Cutler (4 books)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)