Start by marking “The Science of Battlestar Galactica” as Want to Read:
The Science of Battlestar Galactica

The Science of Battlestar Galactica

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The official guide to the science behind the "Battlestar Galactica" universe"Battlestar Galactica" ("BSG") has been called the best show on television, and as real as science fiction gets. It has dealt with issues of religious freedom, patriotism, terrorism, genetic engineering, and the ultimate science fiction question: what does it mean to be human? While the re-imagined ...more
Published October 26th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Battlestar Galactica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Battlestar Galactica

Erik
As "Science Of..." books go, this one was better than most. Given that entire books could be made out of each chapter and still not exhaust the topics, the authors did an admirable job of boiling down the concepts to their essence and giving some firm scientific backing and theoretical speculation on the science side of this particular science-fiction show.

BSG did a lot in the way of research in an attempt to make the science at least plausible, without making the story the slave to the science.
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
It feels really strange to be giving this book 5 stars. After all, tie-in products usually come across as "shovelware" - a product with the logo just meant to separate the fan from his money.

That's exactly what I was expecting when I opened up the pages of this one.

What I got instead is Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything with Battlestar references. The authors explore anthropology, chemistry, medicine, physics, astronomy, military theory first, and tie it into Battlestar second.
Jason Craft
Ever wondered how things work in the BSG universe? Well this book has all the answers from the official science adviser for the show. Every fan should pick this up and delve down deeper into the inner workings.

Do not read this if you have not watched all of the show, as nearly every spoiler is covered.
Teresa Jusino
I'm marking this book as "read" even though I haven't finished it, because it's more of a reference book than a book that you read straight through. For my "official" review of it, check out the write-up I did over at Tor.com:

Amanda Paige
This book talked about the science in Battlestar Galactica not only how it worked on the show but how it would work (or wouldn't work) in the real world. Very fascinating book and even though I am not a science or math whiz I could understand it. If you are a BSG fan I would recommend this book.
Sixth Dimension Audiobook Reviews
"Excellent Physics Lesson 4.0 Based on BSG!"
What made listening to The Science of Battlestar Galactica the most enjoyable for me was the comparison of BSG to actual human life. ARE we creating our own Cylons like Frankenstein? Sentient is another word for consciousness or the ability to be aware of oneself. This audiobook was full of greatness! My favorite characters are the ones who created the Cylons. What I like about Tom Dheere’s performance is that he keeps a steady pace while speaking that
Jabriol

Excellent read. There is Hard science on every page. It makes Space travel feasible and credible.
Pete Freind
Way more interesting than I expected- legit science in here, not just nerdy TV techno-babble
John
I think 2.5 stars would be a better rating. It's slightly geared more towards a science "newb," but still offered new information. It's written in a glib style that mostly flows well, but it's two main problems are as follows:

1) "Moore's Law/The Laws of BSG" : The book helpfully points out that Ron Moore made a conscious choice *not* to explain how things worked in the BSG universe as he didn't want the techno babble to impinge on the drama. I'm dumb enough not to have picked up on this having w
Jason Tiearney
I normally don't venture into nonfiction that's not related to my area of study, but I figured, it's BSG, so why not. Overall, I enjoyed the book and found the author's sense of humor and dry wit a welcome addition to potentially boring subject matter. I found that I learned a lot about astronomy and many other scientific topics that I would never read about in any other circumstance, but the explanations, equations, and terminology still fell considerably beyond my knowledge and interest. Parts ...more
Evan O.
An excellent, clever, and informative supplement to what is, in my opinion, the greatest show on television.
David
The Science of Battlestar Galactica offers clear explanation and discussion of some of the technology and scientific concepts from the show - everything from starship propulsion and navigation to Cylon physiology. The book includes many photos, both publicity shots of the cast and stills from the show but in most cases these are only peripherally related, if at all, to the topic being discussed making the book feel 'padded' at times.
Mike
Science! Fiction! A fun little read.
Martin
Faszinierend, wieviel Gedanken sich die Autoren von BSG gemacht haben. Auch wenn es weitgehened nach Moore’s Law (It’s only a show. Enjoy it) ging, stand vieles auf soliden wissenschaftlichen Füßen.
Yianni
I'd probably have given it another star if I didn't already know most of the science in the book.
Xiaoyu Li
Science is a kind of religion, science is also funny.
Diego Marques
Every bsg fan should read this. Seriously!
Kevin Axe
Kevin Axe marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Mcromano
Mcromano marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Knowledge Here Begins Out There
  • The Cylons' Secret
  • Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica Miniseries, #1)
  • Unity
  • Battlestar Galactica 3: The Tombs of Kobol (Battlestar Galactica, #3)
  • Sagittarius Is Bleeding
  • Time Detectives: How Archaeologists Use Technology To Recapture The Past
  • Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
  • Final Crisis
  • Mining The Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets
  • Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Technical Manual (Star Trek Deep Space Nine (Unnumbered Paperback))
  • National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe
  • From Lucy to Language: Revised, Updated, and Expanded
This Is What You Just Put in Your Mouth?: From Eggnog to Beef Jerky, the Surprising Secrets of What's Inside Everyday Products Atmospheric Monitoring with Arduino: Building Simple Devices to Collect Data about the Environment Environmental Monitoring with Arduino: Building Simple Devices to Collect Data About the World Around Us Sensor Networks The Maker's Manual: A Practical Guide to the New Industrial Revolution

“I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

—John Cavil, Cylon Model Number One, “No Exit”
23 likes