Start by marking “Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage” as Want to Read:
Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage

Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage (American Girls: Kaya #6)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Speaking Rain has returned to Kaya's family, but Kaya still has one last fear--that she'll never see her beloved horse, Steps High, again. When Kaya hears of a heard of Nimíipuu horses running wild in the mountains, she hopes Steps High is one of them. Kaya soon has a chance to find out for herself when she joins the elk-hunting party traveling into the mountains. Kaya is ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Perfection Learning

Leona Petrovic
May 06, 2017 Leona Petrovic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The whole Kaya series is a great look at Nez Perce culture for kids and has great illustrations as well as story lines. None are too long or hard to read, so they are great for struggling readers!
I am so so so happy she gets reunited with Steps High, who happens to have an adorable little foal!!!!!Kaya has really matured throughout the series and this is an exciting ending.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book in the Kaya series is primarily about her search for her lost horse, Steps High. It's also about the normal activities of her tribe, in this case riding out and hunting elk so they could have meat for the tribe.

It's during the hunt that Kaya finds Steps High, but she first has to get her horse away from another horse that claims her as his, and then if she can do that get her horse, herself and her horse's foal out through a major fire.

One of the very interesting things in the series
Kyra
Mar 01, 2013 Kyra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was pretty good. I read it in two days, since it was actually only four chapters long. The book had not much going on in it though; pretty much Kaya (an american girl) has searched for her stolen horse Steps High. Kayas tribe, (the Nez Perce) Hunters, come back with big news for the tribe.

First, the Hunters found a trail for Elk season. Second, Raven (a hunter) said he found a herd of wild horses said to be escaped from the Salish people.

Kaya then decides to go after her horse Steps H
Bree
Jan 16, 2012 Bree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, children
This review is from the perspective of a mother - Kaya's final book is hair-raisingly adventurous, and Kaya displays more of her budding maturity.

Aah, American Girl, this series was going so splendidly. Kaya faced real physical and emotional dangers, loss and heartache. And then this book has gratuitous adventure, and then wraps the whole mess up in a pretty bow fictionally in a way that is glaringly different from teh rest of the series.

Oh, and then rips the rug out from under you in the Lookin
Miri
Jul 15, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaya has her sister Speaking Rain back, her grief over Swans Circling is finally passing, her sister Brown deer is soon to be married, the only thing Kaya wishes she had now is her horse Steps High. When her uncle's visit and tell her of a herd of horses running free that they believe might me Niimiipuu Kaya is hopeful that her horse may be among them. When her father agrees to take her out to see the horses Kaya is delighted when she finds Steps High and her new foal, but on the journey home th ...more
Christina
Apr 23, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice ending to the series. Isobel and I finished this a couple of weeks ago and I'm having trouble remembering anything about it already (which is not a good sign) but I did like it. There was some good peril in this series that I think really introduced Iso to the idea of getting wrapped up in a book caring about the characters- it was fun to hear her ask questions, express concern, etc. as we read.
Now I'm curious about which American Girl she'll want to read about next!
Yvonne
Feb 18, 2011 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, my 7 year old and I have officially finished the series. This has been my favorite series, so far, of the American Girl books. I really liked the character, Kaya, and it was nice to watch her come full circle. In the final book of the series, you see that Kaya has learned from her past mistakes, and is officially older AND wiser. I really enjoyed sharing this series with my daughter, and it sparked some great conversations.
Ashley
Nov 19, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We finally made it through the Kaya series! This book was sweet and had a great message about growing older and being brave. Abby really liked the Kaya books--she liked the adventure and learning about Kaya's people. I liked--once again--the lessons that Kaya learns about herself and about her family.
Felicity The Magnificent
I liked this book because in the book Kaya's Escape Kaya's horse Steps High got taken away with the other horses and Kaya's sister Speaking Rain, and Speaking Rain returned home. In this book, Kaya still did not have Steps High. In the beginning of the book, Kaya found Steps High. When she found Steps High, Steps High had a foal. -by Felicity
Alice
Nov 05, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series aloud to my 6, 8, &12 year olds, and we all enjoyed them. I especially enjoyed the history at the end and the way my kids picked up and began using Nez Perce phrases. We will get another American girl series.
Miss Clark
Read in year of publication
Stephanie
Listened to it as an audiobook. It was a satisfying close to Kaya's series.
Partridge Public
Sep 27, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JF Sha
Shelves: juniorfiction
Shaw, Janet PB
G.R. Webster
it was a petty good book
Elise
Jan 21, 2016 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories.
Marilyn
Had to return it. Will finish.
Kristine Hansen
Action! Adventure! Changes! This last book of the Kaya sextet thrilled all the way through and came to a satisfying conclusion. I liked Kaya at the end and think she's grown quite a bit.
Kimk
Feb 09, 2013 Kimk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. Typically AG book. My 5 year old loved reading it together.
Valerie
Quick-read i enjoyed
Kelly
Jul 21, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ag-books, own
Nice conclusion to Kaya's core stories.
Steve Rouhotas Jr
Jan 18, 2016 Steve Rouhotas Jr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libby-reads
"It is fun learning about other cultures!" Says LJ, my 6 year old reader.
Millie
May 21, 2013 Millie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steps high! Thank goodness your home. I was really worried. Everytime I read a Kaya book I'm like where's steps high? Where's steps high?
Kate Matson
Every single book in the Kaya series was amazing. I literally could NOT put it down! These were soooo good! The best part is they are quick reads and makes it easy to concentrate.
Brenna
Jun 10, 2011 Brenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good! One of the best in the series!
Randy Evans
Randy Evans rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Alyson Stone
Alyson Stone rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Leah Hale
Leah Hale rated it really liked it
May 17, 2017
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
  • Changes for Kit: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kit, #6)
  • Changes for Addy: A Winter Story (American Girls: Addy, #6)
  • Rebecca and the Movies (American Girls: Rebecca, #4)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)

American Girls: Kaya (6 books)
  • Meet Kaya (American Girls: Kaya, #1)
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)