Start by marking “Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage” as Want to Read:
Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage

Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage (American Girls: Kaya #6)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Speaking Rain has returned to Kaya's family, but Kaya still has one last fear--that she'll never see her beloved horse, Steps High, again. When Kaya hears of a heard of Nimíipuu horses running wild in the mountains, she hopes Steps High is one of them. Kaya soon has a chance to find out for herself when she joins the elk-hunting party traveling into the mountains. Kaya is ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Perfection Learning

To ask other readers questions about Changes for Kaya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changes for Kaya

Miri
Kaya has her sister Speaking Rain back, her grief over Swans Circling is finally passing, her sister Brown deer is soon to be married, the only thing Kaya wishes she had now is her horse Steps High. When her uncle's visit and tell her of a herd of horses running free that they believe might me Niimiipuu Kaya is hopeful that her horse may be among them. When her father agrees to take her out to see the horses Kaya is delighted when she finds Steps High and her new foal, but on the journey home th ...more
Kyra
this book was pretty good. I read it in two days, since it was actually only four chapters long. The book had not much going on in it though; pretty much Kaya (an american girl) has searched for her stolen horse Steps High. Kayas tribe, (the Nez Perce) Hunters, come back with big news for the tribe.

First, the Hunters found a trail for Elk season. Second, Raven (a hunter) said he found a herd of wild horses said to be escaped from the Salish people.

Kaya then decides to go after her horse Steps H
Bree
This review is from the perspective of a mother - Kaya's final book is hair-raisingly adventurous, and Kaya displays more of her budding maturity.

Aah, American Girl, this series was going so splendidly. Kaya faced real physical and emotional dangers, loss and heartache. And then this book has gratuitous adventure, and then wraps the whole mess up in a pretty bow fictionally in a way that is glaringly different from teh rest of the series.

Oh, and then rips the rug out from under you in the Lookin
Christina
Nice ending to the series. Isobel and I finished this a couple of weeks ago and I'm having trouble remembering anything about it already (which is not a good sign) but I did like it. There was some good peril in this series that I think really introduced Iso to the idea of getting wrapped up in a book caring about the characters- it was fun to hear her ask questions, express concern, etc. as we read.
Now I'm curious about which American Girl she'll want to read about next!
Yvonne
Well, my 7 year old and I have officially finished the series. This has been my favorite series, so far, of the American Girl books. I really liked the character, Kaya, and it was nice to watch her come full circle. In the final book of the series, you see that Kaya has learned from her past mistakes, and is officially older AND wiser. I really enjoyed sharing this series with my daughter, and it sparked some great conversations.
Felicity The Magnificent
I liked this book because in the book Kaya's Escape Kaya's horse Steps High got taken away with the other horses and Kaya's sister Speaking Rain, and Speaking Rain returned home. In this book, Kaya still did not have Steps High. In the beginning of the book, Kaya found Steps High. When she found Steps High, Steps High had a foal. -by Felicity
Ashley
We finally made it through the Kaya series! This book was sweet and had a great message about growing older and being brave. Abby really liked the Kaya books--she liked the adventure and learning about Kaya's people. I liked--once again--the lessons that Kaya learns about herself and about her family.
Alice
I read this series aloud to my 6, 8, &12 year olds, and we all enjoyed them. I especially enjoyed the history at the end and the way my kids picked up and began using Nez Perce phrases. We will get another American girl series.
Kristine Pratt
Action! Adventure! Changes! This last book of the Kaya sextet thrilled all the way through and came to a satisfying conclusion. I liked Kaya at the end and think she's grown quite a bit.
Millie
Steps high! Thank goodness your home. I was really worried. Everytime I read a Kaya book I'm like where's steps high? Where's steps high?
Kimk
It was okay. Typically AG book. My 5 year old loved reading it together.
Brenna
So good! One of the best in the series!
Marilyn
Had to return it. Will finish.
Miss Clark
Read in year of publication
Valerie
Quick-read i enjoyed
G.R. Webster
it was a petty good book
Partridge Public
Sep 27, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JF Sha
Shelves: juniorfiction
Shaw, Janet PB
Cws
JAR4-AGK
Lydia Godleski
Lydia Godleski marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Adalie Dunn
Adalie Dunn marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Mia Robertson
Mia Robertson marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Kaylee
Kaylee marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Valdecina
Valdecina marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jan 25, 2015
  • Kit Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kit, #5)
  • Changes for Addy: A Winter Story (American Girls: Addy, #6)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Rebecca and the Movies (American Girls: Rebecca, #4)

American Girls: Kaya (6 books)
  • Meet Kaya (American Girls: Kaya, #1)
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1) Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3) Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4) Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)