Fireman Small

Fireman Small (Fireman Small)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Fireman small has a busy day rescuing people and fighting fires . . . and it's not over yet. Just as he's preparing for a good night's sleep, the fire bell rings yet again.
Published August 26th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

Jaymie Shook
THANK YOU Fireman Small!
by snacksformax
In honor of 9/11, today we're reviewing a book called Fireman Small by Wong Herbert Yee. I came across this book at Half Price Books and couldn't not bring it home with us, especially with the anniversary of the tragedy coming up, giving all of us another chance to remember the great sacrifice made by so many first responders 12 years ago.

Fireman Small, Snacks for Max, 5 snacksFireman Small is about a fireman in a small town who comes to the rescue for ever...more
Kim T.
Great repetition. Loved this!
Connie
This is a very cute story of a fireman (the only firefighter this side of the bay!) who deals with a series of escalating problems alone: Rescuing a kitty from a tree, a child from a well, and finally putting out a fire!

The use of rhythm is terrific, and the illustrations are great.

I will note that it's unrealistic. Real firefighters work in teams utilizing the buddy system, and a child who is *really* obsessed with firefighters will know that.
Rebecca
Fireman Small just can't any sleep because he's the only fireman in the bay and he must always work to help everyone. He saves the cat from the tree, the bunny from the well and the bakery that is on fire. He finally can get some rest when his friends ring his doorbell to tell him thanks for all his help. It's a humorous story and my kids enjoyed it.
Heather
24 months - a very cute read, good use of repetition without being boring. Great rhyming and story telling. The unique artwork seemed familiar to Eek There's a Mouse In The House an GR confirmed it's the same author/illustration, we love that one too! We will have to search out and read more of his titles.
Oct 30, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids who love firetrucks
I like the rhythmic language of this book. It allows me to read it while pondering two great mysteries: Why is Fireman Small human while everyone else in the city is an animal? And why are there pictures of rabbits on most--BUT NOT ALL--of the pages? Wong Herbert Yee, you mystify me.
Amy
I read a lot of books out loud to Caleb. A lot. This book has such delightful, musical rhymes (and sweet illustrations) that it's truly a pleasure to read over and over. (As opposed to some other ones I've read.) I plan to read all the other books I can find by this author.
Lynne
Loved reading this book to my girls. They could recite it along with me because of the repetition. (plus, I loved how I could add emphasis to Fireman Small's actions. . .)
Gayle
I read this book so often, I can recite it from memory 13 years later. Loved the story, the cadence (fun to read aloud) and the artwork.
Love it!
Linda Costello
I read this book while discussing community helpers in Pre-K. Fireman smalls helps all sorts of different animals in his community.
Jessica
A little bit of a strange story - he's the only fireman and basically does his job or sleeps.
Daniel Lau
I like this book because Fireman Small saved three friends in an emergency accident.
Melissa
I could read this book every night to Lucas! We both adore it!!
Bobby
4 stars just based on how much my son loves this book.
Dallin
I wonder how he did four rescues in one night!
Reepacheep
Jan 16, 2012 Reepacheep rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Reepacheep by: my youngest son
A fun read-aloud book, nicely illustrated.
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Em
Em marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Pradeep
Pradeep marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Aaliyah
Aaliyah marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jasmine Olivia
Jasmine Olivia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole Who Likes Rain? Tracks in the Snow