Start by marking “An Election” as Want to Read:
An Election

An Election

Subterranean Press is proud to present an election-oriented short story by John Scalzi on Whatever.

When his city council representative is hit by a bus, David Sawyer decides to run for the newly-vacated seat. One problem: He's a human in an alien-majority district that hasn't voted in a human in half a century. Can Sawyer pull it off in a race that includes a politically s
Published November 1st 2010 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about An Election, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Election

seak
Jan 29, 2012 seak rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I always know that when I read Scalzi I'll be entertained. Whether it's his science fiction, his blog (whatever), and now his short fiction.

An Election is a humorous story of a guy, David, who decides to run for city counsel. It just so happens no human has been a representative for the third district in 44 years, not to mention no human has even run for the position in 36.

David's husband, James, attempts to talk him out of it, but to no avail.

Most of the fun is found in the different aliens Sc
Jim
Feb 06, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, 1ebook
A fun & funny election in the future. Short, free & well worth the read. It's available on his web site here:
Chris
Feb 05, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Laurel
Funny little sci-fi story that I could knock out because I was too lazy to get up from the computer but wanted to read something. It took a few productive minutes away my internet surfing time, but one can only look at so many pictures of Candice Swanepoel, right?

See what I mean? Stop drooling surfing and start reading the story!

Read it for free online: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/11/01...

Laurel
Feb 04, 2012 Laurel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
There is something wonderful about sitting down in a comfy chair, cup of coffee in hand, and reading a great story during a single sitting. The moment becomes even greater if the story makes you snort coffee in the process, due to moments of laugh out loud funny! My two beloved pups also adored the pet protection undertones of the piece. Thanks for making my Sunday a little brighter, Mr. Scalzi!
G33z3r
John Scalzi can certainly bring on the humor when he wants to. In this short story, the human Dave decides to run for city Council in the most xeno-diverse district in the city. It seems most of his neighbors are of half a dozen alien species, and a human hasn't represented the district in almost five decades. As he launches his door to door campaign, both his less than supportive husband and his campaign manager (whose only in it for the college credit) ladle on large scoops of sarcasm. It's al ...more
Natalie
Dec 25, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
this little primer should be required reading for the spouse or partner of anyone who contemplates running for office or taking a role in a campaign & it's hilarious too - great combo !
Shelly
Mar 02, 2015 Shelly rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Hehe, "I want to eat your pets!"
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
It's a cute short story. It's a sci-fi political satire. You should probably go read it now.
Ron
Dec 01, 2012 Ron rated it liked it
Not one of Scalzi's best efforts.
Cole
Dec 27, 2016 Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick and makes you wany more

Scalzi has a knack for creating characters out of thin air and making you want to explore them more and more. We need more Scalzi in this world.
Chang
May 07, 2017 Chang rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A very enjoyable read. Fun sci-fi (and the typical John Scalzi brand of goofiness) take on an election.
JDK1962
May 04, 2017 JDK1962 rated it liked it
An entertaining enough throwaway short story.
Itay
Oct 19, 2016 Itay rated it liked it
A funny little political short story from one of my favourite authors which I am happy to add to my collection. Nothing too profound, just a funny little story.
Alice
Nov 01, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up either for free or at an extreme discount, and forgot I had, for a while. I'm glad I remembered in time to give it a read. It was a quick, thoroughly enjoyable read.

"An Election" is a short story about a city with alien inhabitants. The science fiction elements are presented as if we, the readers, are already familiar with them, and just as blandly as the fact that the man running for office has a husband. His sexuality is no obstacle at all; what almost proves his downfall is h
Fil Garrison
A fun little story in the oeuvre of Mr. John Scalzi - whose short stories I've been slowly collecting and downloading from Amazon for short in-between novel reads.

I have to admit, for some reason, I both love and dislike John Scalzi. I think on the one hand, his sheer personality as an author on his blog, his thoughtfulness, his ideas and his honesty are all things that I absolutely love about the man. His writing is generally fun, borderline pulpy, never really romantic or groundbreaking, but s
Hart
Feb 11, 2017 Hart rated it it was amazing
Just adding a note for my friends who prefer books with lgbt+ characters: this hilarious sci-fi short story is not a romance, but the main characters are David, a gay man; his rather long-suffering husband (their dynamic reminded me a lot of Lito & Hernando on Sense8); and a young woman who becomes David's campaign assistant. David decides to run for local office in a district that has always been governed by aliens, and lots of ridiculous things happen. So funny, and it's nice to laugh abou ...more
Annabeth Leong
Feb 28, 2013 Annabeth Leong rated it liked it
Randy
Jan 28, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A humorous look at the election process in an SF setting.

David decides he wants to run for councilperson in his district after he reads of the death of the current office holder when he steps in front of a bus.

David has a problem though. At thirty-five, nearly thirty-six, he wasn't even born the last time a human held the office. he wasn't even born the last time a human ran for the office. His husband tried to tell him, his new campaign manager, an unpaid intern working on her thesis, tried to
Megan Robison
Always up for some interspecies teamwork
Mike
Mar 29, 2012 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An Election is a very short story that focuses on a human named David, his perhaps unwise decision to run for office in a predominantly alien district, and the hijinks that ensue.

So far all I've read by Scalzi are a few short stories, all of comedic bent. His writing style suits the material well and David's tale is enjoyable. The characters and setting are well developed, almost too much so. There are great details to everything that would seem to support a more substantial offering. While good
Jake Hawken
Jun 15, 2014 Jake Hawken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Scalzi writes, confidently, in a variety of styles, and this is an example of his more comedic style. I found the story charming, if a little goofy. The metaphor of the story is VERY thinly veiled, but the goofiness of the style makes you forgive that fact, because after all, it's not super serious. He makes his point though, and makes it quite well, all while telling an entertaining tale. I'm not sure if one (very) short story is worth 99 cents, but I don't have much buyer's remorse, so I ...more
John Walker
Oct 12, 2015 John Walker rated it really liked it
This story reminds me why Scalzi is my new favorite SF writer (make that writer in general)! Bought this as a $0.99 Amazon special to read while traveling, am not disappointed. Scalzi's premises are great, this story continues in the vein of "How I proposed to my wife" (another Scalzi short I highly recommend) turning multi-species (aliens!) cultural race relations into an amusing romp as the main character David Sawyer decides on a whim to launch a political campaign for city council as the fir ...more
Kate
Jan 28, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, e-book, own
A fantastic short story- An Election definitely lives up to Scalzi's unique brand of humor. The main character, David, decides to run for city council; a move that makes perfect sense until it turns out that in his district, humans are the minority. No human being has been elected to city council in nearly fifty years. Scalzi nails some of the absurdity of politics with this one; I also really enjoyed the relationship between David and his loving, but exasperated, husband.
Mei
May 21, 2012 Mei rated it really liked it
Have I ever mentioned that I love John Scalzi? because I kind of do. He's an amusing writer who creates engaging worlds that may or may not be likely to happen.

An Election is an absurdly quick read, a little snack of his style and is probably one of the best for character banter and sheer "reading on the bus while trying not to grin like a dork all the time" enjoyment.

yeah, I kind of love John Scalzi.
Chris
Jan 13, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A good addition to my Scalzi shot story library. It is as any one would expect from Scalzi. Humourus spin on a mundane event. Always a pleasure to read and digest. I will say the ending did seem a little rushed, as if he had to keep it within a certain word count, but overall it ranks about middle of the road to slightly behind some of his other shorts.
Mayank Agarwal
Sep 05, 2015 Mayank Agarwal rated it it was ok
Fun little story, not among Scalzi’s best works, still an entertaining read with great imagination and world building. The story is about aliens and humans living together, standing up for elections and votes.

The problem with the story is it didn’t have an interesting plot twist and as much witty humor as i have come to expect from Scalzi, it felt rushed in the end.
Molokov
Sep 11, 2016 Molokov rated it really liked it
A great short story about a council election in a city district mostly populated by aliens. The politics is, of course, fairly standard (well, standard American), but having extraterrestrial species in the mix (and humanity the minority species in the district) gives an interesting twist to the events of the story and adds a lot of humour.
Peter
Jan 12, 2012 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another of Scalzi's short & fun little stories. :) As usual it deals with aliens but treats them more or less like normal people, in this case voters. I couldn't detect any profound messages in this particular story but it was entertaining nonetheless - as usual the characters were very believable if only briefly sketched and the plot moved along briskly.
Charles Gatlin
Dec 10, 2015 Charles Gatlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and entertaining tale of local politics

Diversity of characters is the main interest in this story of local politics in a city of the future--diversity of species, with multiple alien characters and diversity of humans, with same sex couples, college students, and Canadians.
Angie
Feb 08, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
If you think ethnice diversity is a problem in current elections, wait until we have species diversity! This is a light-hearted tale about a human trying to run for office in a district where we are the minority. Fun!
  • Hostile Takeover (How to Succeed in Evil)
  • Clash of the Geeks
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour
  • Space Raptor Butt Invasion
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy, 2011 Edition
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Insight: Reflections on the Gifts of Being an Introvert
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • Overtime (Laundry Files, #3.5)
  • Clockwork Fagin (Free Story from Steampunk!)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2 #1
  • Doctor Who: The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Time Traveller
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.03)
  • Farscape Vol. 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning
  • All Seated on the Ground
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)
More about John Scalzi...

“As a general rule when it’s a city bus versus any biological creature, it’s safe to bet on the bus.” 0 likes