Start by marking “The Man with the Dancing Eyes” as Want to Read:
The Man with the Dancing Eyes

The Man with the Dancing Eyes

An old-fashioned, modern-day love story.
"In the golden half light of a midsummer's evening, the sort where any kind of magic can occur, and often does, in the midst of a party held in a wild and rambling garden stood Pierre, teetering on highly unsuitable heels, surrounded by a symphony of overripe roses."
Pierre is the heroine of this loveable love story, and the magic t
Published August 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Man with the Dancing Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man with the Dancing Eyes

Clare
Apr 17, 2008 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on a whim during a trip to Anthropologie. I loved the drawings when I flipped through it. I am mildly ashamed of the love I have for this book because it truly has very little substance, aside from a handful of cute quips and a sort of impossible lifestyle for the heroine that is written to sound completely everyday. (It sort of makes you feel like anyone's story could be magical if Sophie Dahl told it.) I fully admit that it is complete fluff and some people would utterly loa ...more
Helen
Really gutted about this book as I so wanted to enjoy it, and I just thought it was pants. Well gutted as totally respect Sophie Dahl and her quirkiness and I really enjoyed her writings in her cook book which is Totally Brilliant. I feel I have to say I’m sorry I just didn’t like this short story. Even the illustrations I didn’t like and I Love quirky illustrations but these didn’t hit the mark for me and I can’t put my finger on why. I think I will have to give this book another read at a late ...more
Vanessa Townley
It was a good story with a nice collection of illustrations however I like a story with more substance I felt like I was reading a child's book for adults.
Andrea
Feb 18, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: Margaret Margitta
Why is love so difficult? I hope this is not a real story about Sophie, however, it will be someones story.

Great quick read.
Jenny Knutsen
The illustrations are beautiful, and the idea of the storyline is good, but hasn't been done in a way that captures the reader
Lara
Jun 13, 2009 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-york, 2009
An enchanting adult picture book with Chagall-like illustrations and a story that contains an uncanny number of things that I love (sea horses, New York, a stray dog).
Emma
Aug 06, 2010 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 'illustrated novella' is a refreshing light read. Sophie has a beautiful turn of phrase and the illustrations are a delightful throwback to the picture books of my youth.
Liz
Jan 07, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and illustrated. Takes about 20 minutes to read and just warmed my jaded little heart. A sweet, simple, tiny love story with whimsical illustrations.
Kathryn
What a confusing load of pants! Probably some deep underlying meaning but a big disappointment
Mickey Reed
Mar 18, 2011 Mickey Reed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I can't decide, two or three stars. Anyway, what I didn't like about this book at ALL was that this dream dude "committed an indiscretion" that seemed unforgivable to her at the time, but apparently time makes everything go away. We never find out what it is, exactly, but by the pictures (yes, pictures..) it seems like he was thinking of some other woman. Anyway, this sends the heroine (Pierre.. seriously??) off to NYC and blah blah.

I only picked up this book because I saw it in close proximity
Josie
Mar 09, 2007 Josie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Re-read in September 2015] Cute and whimsical, but lacking depth. There are bits that make me laugh out loud ("Pierre thought privately that she didn't really want to know about Blue's waters.") and I do like the quirky illustrations, but I can't justify keeping this on my five-stars shelf.
Catherine
Jun 07, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute book. It's a short love story with wonderful illustrations on every page, so it is as fun as a kid's book to read! I picked it up by chance at the local library (I was waiting in line to check out books and happened to be standing by the "D" section). Turns out Sophie Dahl is Roald Dahl's granddaughter!
Jodie
Jan 17, 2015 Jodie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
'I hope you have someone's love to keep you warm,' said the driver as she got out.

'Yes,' replied Pierre crisply. 'My dog's. Goodbye.'

This was so cute and the pictures were really cute, it was kind of like a picture/ story book for mature readers and I really enjoyed it!
Emily
This is a simple story if falling in and out of love and in again. While the story itself has little substance, the quirkiness of it was quite entertaining, and I don't know why, but it felt very parisienne. The illustrations, of course, are absolutely beautiful and lovely.
Esti
Dreamy and romantic in the way that London and New York can be romantic, prose like a mash-up of Francesca Lia Block and Sophie Dahl's famous grandfather. Beautiful pen and watercolor illustrations. A bit of a love-song-simple story, but the references are treats and it's a quick read.
Saritha
Aug 06, 2013 Saritha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite my cup of tea and Dahl is a difficult surname to carry. Hardly a picture book for grown ups. As a love story, it doesn't work for me. But yes, there's a certain quirkiness that I like, which hopefully expresses itself differently in other stories by Sophie Dahl. Love the sweetpeas.
Kimberly
Dec 17, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I needed something to read and I picked this up. I'm glad I was in the library when I did because I wouldn't have paid for it.

Check my blog for the full review:
Alexandra
Nov 10, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For what this is, it's perfect. Accomplishes emotional responses and connection in a small space and time, manages to be innocent and whimsical and have a children's book feel whilst retaining the bite of truth and pain that's completely adult. Very impressed by old Sophie, I hope she writes more.
Kristin
Jan 09, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book is a book is just a book. And lovely illustrations and galloping prose aside, the meeting of expectations from the author might've jarred the gap a bit after reading, then again, not.
Dec 30, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2011-reads
Admittedly, I love this book because Pierre uses the Sweet Pea test.
Something that I love. You can't like a man who doesn't give sweet peas....
Beth
Jan 07, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet story about finding love. Great drawings/paintings on every page! Check out the website for the book here: http://www.dancingeyes.net/
Ruby
Apr 10, 2010 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Oh please can I live inside this book? And can the Man With the Dancing Eyes and long limbs and his mermaid tattoo be mine?

I do wish so.

(the ending made me a tiny bit uncomfortable, though)
Cori Reed
If you want an odd love story with questionable morals and what feels like a pint of frivolity and a teacup of pretentiousness, I have found the book for you!

Pretty, though.
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
He had a tattoo of a mermaid snaking seductively up his arm and sang Bob Dylan tunelessly but with soul...
Ewa
Apr 24, 2015 Ewa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute and quirky! I loved it. I'd love to read it again sometime while sitting in a garden with sweet pea and listening to Ella Fitzgerald.
Emma Topp
I like it for the illustrations but the story is hardly gripping. It is very dreamy and airy-fairy but then I guess it's supposed to be. Not bad but glad it only takes about 20 minutes to read.
hannah
I wanted this to be more like Dahl's novel, Playing with the Grownups, but it was pretty disappointing and dull. Cute illustrations, though.
Ellen
Jun 09, 2013 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imagining
"As the sun rose lazily above London, he kissed her on the Albert Bridge. She was filled with an inexplicable burst of joy, although it could have been the champagne."
Kristin LiBretto
Kristin LiBretto rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2011
Ceci Coon
Ceci Coon rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Sky Full of Kindness
  • The Apothecary’s House
  • Harriet
  • In the Arms of Morpheus: The Tragic History of Laudanum, Morphine, and Patent Medicines
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Hospital
  • De tuinen van Dorr
  • Black Jack
  • No Room for Secrets
  • Anna Boom
  • De nieuwe man
  • The Wombles
  • Paddington: Here and Now (Paddington, #12)
  • The Allegory of Love: A Study in Medieval Tradition
  • My Dad's A Birdman
  • Lewis Carroll: A Biography
  • Unlovable
  • Over to You: Ten Stories of Flyers and Flying
  • EmiTown, Vol. 1
Sophie Dahl (born Sophie Holloway) is an English author, cookbook writer and former model. She was born in London, the daughter of actor Julian Holloway and writer Tessa Dahl. Her maternal grandparents were author Roald Dahl and actress Patricia Neal. Her paternal grandfather was actor Stanley Holloway. She was the inspiration for Sophie, the main character in her maternal grandfather's book The B ...more
More about Sophie Dahl...