Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama, and Other Page-Turning Adventures from a Year in a Book store

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Suzanne Shea has always loved a good book-and she's written five of them, all acclaimed. In the course of her ten-year career, she's done a good bit of touring, including readings and drop-ins at literally hundreds of bookstores. She never visited one that wasn't memorable.

Two years ago, while recovering from radiation therapy, Shea heard from a friend who was looking for...more
Published May 15th 2005 by Beacon Press (first published May 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Shelf Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelf Life

Trin
A memoir about a writer who, after a fight with cancer, takes a part-time job at a local, independently-run bookstore. This seemed right up my alley: books, bookstores, and writing are three of my favorite things (throw in some slashy TV and a couple of cupcakes and I'll never leave). But Shea's narrative is both too personal and too distant. She'll say things like, "And then Old Hank, who everyone in town knows, came in." That example is totally made-up and probably exaggerated, but the point r...more
Lain
I would venture to say that any lover of books has toyed with the idea of working at the mecca for bibliophiles, a bookstore. Strempek Shea -- not just any book lover but also a bestselling author -- shows us what it's like on the other side of the cash register.

Shea has a way with words, and her turns of phrase are always skillful and often unexpected. I enjoyed the way she wove details about the publishing business with the details about the inner workings of the store and its many colorful c...more
Keri
If you are at all curious what it is like to work in a bookstore, this is the book to read. I worked in a small, independent bookstore from 1995 - 1998. It was the best job I've ever had. I loved it. And reading this book was like a walk down memory lane. I remember the quirky customers, the unbelievably vague book descriptions ("that book with the tiger on it") but still finding what they were asking for, opening the boxes of new inventory, setting up the displays, all the non-book items we sol...more
Lightreads
A novelist, recovering from cancer, takes a part-time job in an independent bookstore. This is brilliant, in that understated way which creeps up on you. She's got that trick of describing entirely ordinary things like constructing holiday book displays with deep, resonant emotion. The conceit is bibliophilic and beautiful: books and the people who love them as a healing force. In between insights on the publishing and marketing worlds and discussions of customer satisfaction, there are little g...more
Kitty
Author Suzanne Shea, shortly after battling cancer, is at a loss for what to do when her friend, a proprietress of a bookstore, calls her up needing help - Shea jumps at the opportunity and begins working at the bookstore, collecting a year's worth of reminiscences in this story.

I initially was intrigued as a book-lover myself. I work at a library, and one of the high points of my day is when the holds appear. After working there for nearly two years, I'm able to guess which book is whose even b...more
Monica Williams
Suzanne Strempek Shea is a breast cancer survivor and a writer. After she completed her treatment she is at a loss- not ready to resume her career as a writer, but she wants to do something. Fortuitously her friend who owns a local independent book store calls asking if Suzanne knows anyone who is looking for a part time job. Suzanne decides to try it for herself. And so begins her adventure into retail. It is a charming read about hope, redemption, and of course books! The employees and the reg...more
Claudia
It's always interesting to read someone else's perspective on something one's done oneself, and greatly enjoyed--in this case, work in a bookstore.

It's odd, too, to see the things that other people focus on, and the differences that arise just from store to store. They aren't necessarily regional differences, either, since I've worked in a Boston shop and her's is only a couple of hours drive west. I too was working in a bookstore not longer after 9/11, but we had a completely different experie...more
Kate
"Novelist Suzanne Strempek Shea heard from a friend who was looking for help at her bookstore, so she volunteered, seeing it as nothing more than a way to get out of her pajamas after an illness. But over the next twelve months, from St. Patrick's Day through Poetry Month, graduation/Father's Day/summer reading/Christmas, and back again to those shamrock displays, Shea lived and breathed books in a place she says sells 'ideas, stories, encouragement, answers, solace, validation, the basic ammuni...more
Annie Garvey
I always wanted to work at a bookstore and from reading this book, I feel that I at least know the jargon. Before reading this book, I didn't know the difference between a regular paperback and a trade paperback, or what a dump was.

The author, Shea, is a breast-cancer survivor. The main reason for taking the bookstore job was to get out of the house and out of her depression. The author seems to enjoy the experience and the sense of family working entales.

I would have liked to know more about Sh...more
Mitch
I read some reviews of this book prior to reading it- mainly to see if guys read it too, and what they thought.

Most of the reviews were by women, and most were positive. The guys were more ambivalent.

Not me.

This book is about an author who is recovering from cancer treatment and gets back into the world by working 8 1/2 hours a week in a bookstore. The cover claims it contains drama, romance, mystery, etc...and this is quite true if you regard taking inventory as drama or decorating a store for...more
Danielle
I read one other non-fiction book by this author and really enjoyed it, so I added some of her other titles to my to-read list. She also writes fiction books, which I have not read any of. I really enjoyed this book as well, so perhaps I'll have to check out some of those.

This book describes her experience working in a small non-chain bookstore after recovering from cancer. She was working in the bookstore at the same time I was working at Barnes and Noble so I remember dealing with a lot of th...more
Lisa
When author Suzanne Strempek Shea was asked by a bookseller friend if she knew anyone who wanted a part-time job, she surprised her friend and herself by taking it. It turned out that it was wonderful therapy for her as she recovered from cancer. I thought Shea might intermingle her experience and recovery from her illness with this new job, but she talked little about the cancer and more about the workings of an independent bookstore. That was okay by me. I lapped up every little detail about b...more
Wendy Paige
Rare gem of a book about the year in the life of an author who worked part-time in a book store after her cancer treatments ended. Good insight into the independent bookstore.
Patti Henger
I just had a hard time getting into this one. Maybe it's because I've read so many "books about books" that have been excellent and it's one of my favorite types of books. However, there were certain parts (one in particular where she is trying to show the varied interests of readers) where the author literally lists magazine titles for at least two pages. The bookstore where she works sounds lovely, and there were some vaguely interesting tidbits....but I must say I didn't finish the last 30 pa...more
Denise
This is about an author who after taking cancer treatments is pretty much lounging around the house not doing anything when a bookstore owner that knows her calls and asks if she knows anyone that would like a part-time job at the store and Suzanne decides that she needs to get out of the house and she asks if she can apply. This begins a second career of bookselling and that is what this book is about. I love books about books. I would recommend this as a goodread.
Judy Goodnight
Jun 02, 2010 Judy Goodnight rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Judy by: judy@gwd.org
Our May book club read. I was one of only two who liked the book but I found it an enjoyable read. The author has written several books and began working at a bookstore part-time while recovering from cancer treatment. I enjoyed her perspective as both a writer and seller of books, her musings about people and the books they enjoy reading. It made me think about the many ways in which books/reading have played a large role in my life.
Sara
I loved this book. It brought me back in time to my days as a bookseller. Working in a bookstore was heaven for me. I can relate to the author as she reminisces about the odd things that people want from a bookstore. It was a bit of nostalgia for me. I am tempted to apply for a part time job so that I can rekindle some of the old magic. I recommend this to anymore that loves books.
Judy
I haven't given up on it yet and will probably finish it, but her early chapters drove me wild, with paragraphs worthy of Goldsmith. Because I've working in a bookstore, this is less intriguing to me than it might be. I'm sticking with it b/c she is a writer who had cancer, and very gradually, she's telling that story. She's got a great segment on the bookmobiles of her childhood.
jacky
Apr 16, 2009 jacky marked it as to-read
This author was our visiting writer this year (09) at Leavitt. While I didn't get to work with her because of timing issues (I always seem to have planned immovable lessons when things like this come around), I did meet her when we had breakfast to great her during our common prep.

Bethany has an autographed copy of this that I might borrow / purchase.
Michelle
Another gem about bookselling, this time from the perspective of an author turned bookseller. Her descriptions of working in a bookstore situated in a dying, dead end corner of a Mall is much like the experiences I had during my first foray in bookselling. All booksellers will enjoy this humorous tables-turned view of life behind the counter.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Who here wouldn't want to work around books all day?! As for me, I'm headed to a library, about as close as you can get to a bookstore without opening your purse. Shelf Life is a perfect book for
all of us book-crazed people...helping people find books...meeting
authors..."hafta" reads for kids in school....Recommended.
Bruce
An interesting memoir of an author who took a job in a bookstore after being treated for breast cancer. The owners and workers at the book store as well as several customers are described. Some humorous anecdotes are included. Within the book are vignettes of visits to various bookstores while on tour and/or vacation.
Jean
This a wonderful love story about a woman and a bookstore. A great tribute to all independent bookstores. If you love them, you'll love this book. It is really one of the sweetest stories I've read in a long time. Geez...I feel bad about shopping Amazon.
Jackie
Aug 13, 2008 Jackie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jackie by: Mom
I liked her other books as well. Mostly because she is Polish from Western Mass and writes about being Polish from Western Mass. This one was nonfiction, so different, but includes alot of recommendations for books that I want to remember.
Catherine
While recovering from breast cancer, the author takes a part-time job working in a bookstore. The focus is not as much about her breast cancer recovery; it's more about her experience of working in a bookstore from her perspective as an author.
Suzi
This was a nice story from an interesting perspective: a professional author working in a book store. The narrative became a little repetitive at times, but the book grew on me as I read. Anyone who loves books can relate to this one.
Diane
Suzanne's book: Shelf Life was a very enjoyable read for me. Having grown up in Western Massachusetts, and a life-long book-lover, I frequented many of the quaint, unique bookstores she mentions throughout this wonderful book.
Hpreeder
This book rambles on and on about nothing. Pages dedicated to what's selling in the book store. Got to page 70 of the 250 page book and it was still introductions to the characters. Nothing happens in this book.
Carolyn
Apr 03, 2013 Carolyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: book lovers
Recommended to Carolyn by: my dad
This reminded me of my days as a book seller. I loved that job so much. Almost as much as I enjoy writing. It is a great book for all who love selling books and reading them as well as writing and book signings.
Danella Shea
I was initially hooked by the first chapter, but unfortunately, it went down hill from there. The author lost me in endless descriptions and tangents and I eventually had to add this book to my 'giving it up' shelf.
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • The King's English: Adventures of an Independent Bookseller
  • Living With Books
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance
  • Ruined By Reading: A Life in Books
  • Book by Book: Notes on Reading and Life
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • An Alphabetical Life: Living It Up in the World of Books
  • The Smithsonian Book of Books
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
  • Old Books, Rare Friends: Two Literary Sleuths and Their Shared Passion
  • Rereadings: Seventeen writers revisit books they love
  • A Reading Diary: A Passionate Reader's Reflections on a Year of Books
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books
Suzanne Strempek Shea is the author of five novels: Selling the Lite of Heaven, Hoopi Shoopi Donna, Lily of the Valley, Around Again, and Becoming Finola, published by Washington Square Press. She has also written three memoirs, Songs From a Lead-lined Room: Notes - High and Low - From My Journey Through Breast Cancer and Radiation; Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama and Other Page-Turning Advent...more
More about Suzanne Strempek Shea...
Becoming Finola Hoopi Shoopi Donna Selling the Lite of Heaven Sundays in America: A Yearlong Road Trip in Search of Christian Faith Lily of the Valley