Legend of the Mer (Legend of the Mer, #1)

Legend of the Mer (Legend of the Mer #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Lana Prentis is 17 years old and lives on Safe Harbor Island in the North Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of North Carolina. She was born with several physical challenges. Lana is an albino with silver eyes, milky-white skin, white hair and webbed fingers and toes. Lana hides her fingers by wearing fingerless gloves and she never shows her feet.

Lana's father (Cole Prentis) i...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Sheri L. Swift

To ask other readers questions about Legend of the Mer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legend of the Mer

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerHush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Most unlikable characters
102nd out of 182 books — 233 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFallen by Lauren KateFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickEvermore by Alyson Noel
Most pathetic heroine EVER
95th out of 149 books — 305 voters

More lists with this book...

D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
Great premise, horrible execution. Lana is the daughter of a lighthouse keeper living off the shores of North Carolina. She's self-conscious about her albino skin and webbed hands and feet, and tends to overcompensate by being a Goth: wearing black, heavy makeup, etc. She's also never learned how to swim, ironically. One day she does, and it leads to her discovering her true heritage as a merwalker, a half-human half-mermaid.

I'm not going to mince words. The book is bad. The author tells everyth...more
Ammanda
I honestly didn't know if I would like this book at first. The style of writing is much different than I'm used to and some of the dialogue is different. However, the further along I got into the book, the more I just couldn't put it down. I know what it is like to be made fun of and then pick up a sport and everything start to change because you're pretty good at it. I also know how it feels to want to be able to say there is a whole other world out there for you that you never realized. . . th...more
Celeste
This is a story about a young teenage girl who feels like she is an outcast. She has webbed fingers and toes and is an albino. Her father is a lighthouse keeper and her mother drowned when she was young. Though circumstances that are unseen, Lana, the main character, discovers a part of herself and her history that has been kept hidden all these years. This light hearted book will lift your spirits and make you believe in mermaids once again.
Kiery
Worst writing ever. Poor grammer, poor sentence structure, everything was disjointed. stopped after the first hundred pages into the ebook.
Natalie
I wasn't sure if I would like this book or not when I first started reading. Then the further I read into it, I couldn't get enough. The phrasing is a little bizarre at times but I think this is the authors way of distinguishing between the mermaids and the humans. The story surrounds a young girl who discovers she may not be entirely human. She is thrown into a different environment where once she was a social outcast now she is a princess and is wanted by everyone even the kind you don't want...more
Melony Fallen
Very fast read. loved that it was so simple and pure.
Howard Parsons
It is the policy of this reviewer to NOT include spoilers and/or plot synopses in his reviews. (Neptune knows that there are enough other reviewers who do this.) Instead, this reviewer usually chooses to comment on the book as a whole or, perhaps, certain characters and/or points in the plot.

Unless otherwise noted, all reviews are based on the Kindle edition.

A small, isolated island community. A father trying to keep his motherless daughter close to him. A lonely adolescent affecting goth-like a...more
Abigail
Wasn't sure what I was expecting with this book but I definately didn't expect to read this in only a few hours. The author may be new at writing but she is still very talented author. This is a story of a young girl with a mysterious past and a lonely existence. Through a series of events that starts with her learning how to swim, she discovers her past and a part of herself she was unaware of. Highly recommended.
Kimchi
Lana wants to be like everyone els but the problem is she isnt. Born with web feet and fingers she is searching for her purpose her place in the world when her teacher decides to teach her how to swim.
Maari
it was a very sweet book
Kristina
UGH

This book did start off promising but it got pretty cheesy about half way through. I mean two people finding true love is great and all but geez! The lovely dovey soul mate stuff got really old really fast.
Cheyenne
I loved it!!! my book cover is different than this one.
Leilani
I enjoy reading different trypes of style reading there is. I've always wanted to read a mermaid story, having the first I read disturbe me and not finishing it I was skeptical to read this book. I am really glad that I did. I loved all the characters and how the story was told including all of their progression not just with the main characters. You get a better understanding of what they are and how they are doing. Most would find this to be a long read, that's what I liked about the book the...more
April
DNF.

This book is one that I may, eventually, finish completely, since the storyline is interesting. My issue with it is how utterly terrible the spelling and grammar and formatting are. I am somewhat of a grammar Nazi and I expect authors to at least be able to distinguish between "you're" and "your," and "their/they're/there," etc.

I tried to read this, I really did. But for now, at least, the horrible lack of editing - or good editing, anyway - made me have to put this book down.
Kelly Britton
the actual plot of the book is very good, but the author is a terrible writer!
there is no correct punctuation or grammar it's like nobody correctly edited the book!
Danielle
Poor grammar, repetitive scenes and narrative, boring characters, far too long. But a mermaid story, which was what I wanted.
Rachael Evans
Idea of the book was goid but the Grammar and phrasing was terrible, couldn't finish the book.
Cyrena Yensi
Cyrena Yensi marked it as to-read
Sophie Kozicki
Sophie Kozicki marked it as to-read
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Raevyn [Hello!]
Raevyn [Hello!] marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Claire Comber
Claire Comber marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Ismary
Ismary is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Madisen
Madisen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Amoni
Amoni marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
4452099
Author of Legend of the Mer, Legend of the Mer II The New Guardian and The Hart of Telendaria An Elven Love Story. Currently writing Legend of the Mer III.
More about Sheri L. Swift...
The New Guardian (Legend of the Mer, #2) Legend of the Mer II THE NEW GUARDIAN The Hart of Telendaria The Hart of Telendaria The Hart Of Telendaria An Elven Love Story