Start by marking “Maigret a Vichy” as Want to Read:
Maigret a Vichy

Maigret a Vichy (Maigret #67)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  268 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Il commissario si accese la pipa e sfogliò il giornale in cerca della pagina dedicata alla cronaca locale. La vista di una sua foto su due colonne ... gli fece arricciare il naso. Accanto a lui si distingueva in parte la figura della moglie e dietro, più sfumate, due o tre facce anonime. MAIGRET INDAGA? «Per discrezione, avevamo sinora omesso di segnalare ai nostri lettori ...more
Paperback, Gli Adelphi - Le Inchieste di Maigret, 174 pages
Published September 1st 2010 by Adelphi (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret a Vichy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret a Vichy

Benjamin Thomas
One more stop is now complete on my grand sampling tour of the great fictional detectives of 20th century fiction with the completion of my first Detective Maigret novel. I realize, of course, that a reader can hardly get a good feel for a character such as this by only reading a single novel of the set. After all, author Georges Simenon wrote some seventy-five novels and twenty-eight short stories about Maigret which were published between 1931 and 1972 and there have been several radio and TV ...more
Thomas Strömquist
Commissarie Maigret, Simenon's inimitable detective in a large number of books, is in Vichy with his wife, 'taking the waters', for health reasons. Their rest and recuperation is, however, cut short, when one of the guests is murdered.
Bruce
Jun 20, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the middle of the 20th century the French writer Georges Simenon wrote dozens of murder mysteries featuring Commissaire Maigret of the Paris police force. This particular novel takes place in Vichy, where Maigret and Madame Maigret are taking the waters to help him recover from vague physical symptoms, symptoms probably due to overwork. While they are there a murder occurs, and the investigation is led by Lecoeur, a former policeman of Maigret who is now in charge of the region where Vichy is ...more
Sandra
Dec 09, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: francia
Sarà l’ormai approfondita conoscenza con il commissario Maigret che aggiunge piacere ad ogni nuova lettura delle sue avventure, non saprei, è accaduto che questa inchiesta mi ha appassionato e coinvolto in modo più forte delle precedenti lette.
L’atmosfera vacanziera fa bene al nostro commissario, che trascorre giornate piacevoli alle terme di Vichy con la moglie, tra lunghe passeggiate lungo viali bordati di platani e bevute –di bicchieri di acqua, stavolta, non della solita birra-, seguendo sem
Phillip Kay
Maigret Takes the Waters was first published in 1968 as Maigret à Vichy. It was translated by Eileen Ellenbogen. Maigret is taking the cure at Vichy under doctor’s orders, together with his wife. While there, he enjoys himself by noting the patients and their oddities. One woman he takes note of is later found strangled, and Maigret is unavoidably drawn into the investigation. It is not a matter of robbery, but seems a crime of passion. Yet the woman had no friends, almost no acquaintances, seem ...more
Mikee
Oct 05, 2015 Mikee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret, simenon
The Chief Inspector is in Vichy with his wife. On advice of Dr Pardon he is "taking the cure", drinking the waters, taking long walks, avoiding alcohol and people-watching. For a change he is blissfully enjoying his days, not thinking about the Quai, just living life, Then (of course) a brutal crime is committed. Maigret is not in charge, officially not even involved. He keeps his hand in nonetheless, and things are not what they seem. His final words are "maybe he will be acquitted".
Marti Martinson
Apr 01, 2016 Marti Martinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maigret is out of his jurisdiction but not out of his league. With no suspects in this resort town murder, he conjures up a profile and solves the murder with stake-outs by the local police. Simenon writes masterfully: characters, plot, scenery; I still have difficulty following his dialogue.

I actually do NOT like the conclusion. The murder cannot be excused nor justified. This is still an intriguing tale.
Amanda
Jun 15, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
My first ever Maigret. I feel lucky that a I have all the others to read, having read all the Christies, Chandlers, Heyers (regency, not crime) to bits. And all in the name of improving my French! Beautifully written, full of detail that made me look at images of Vichy on Google. Enchanted to see that a French lady in the sixties might call her salon a "living room" to make it sound more chic!
Richard Brand
May 02, 2015 Richard Brand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is more a story about good police work and the process of discovery, it is a clever twist to the murder story and one in which you end up thinking that the murderer might be a better person than the victim. Simenon writes in a kind of slow and deliberate pace and things move of their own power. It is not hard reading.
Pamela Mclaren
I really like the character Georges Simenon created. Maigret feels real, acts like a likable bear and can't be as deadly for a criminal. In this story, he feels his age and a friend and doctor suggest that he vacation (a true, three-week vacation unlike others he has taken) and take the cure in Vichy. He and his wife walk a lot, drink the water from two springs and generally get away from all the usual routines but murder does follow. At first, Maigret attempts to steer away but that is like ask ...more
Donna
Aug 22, 2007 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of police mysteries and human psychology
Shelves: mystery-suspense
In crime novels as in life, there's a tendency to oversimplify, with one character cast as the victim and another as the villain. Georges Simenon habitually delves deeper into heart of his characters, blurring the distinction between "good" and "bad," showing that there's a little of both in most of us.

Maigret in Vichy is a fine example of this. On vacation with his wife, Maigret is inadvertently drawn into helping solve a local murder. But as his watchful, nonjudgmental way of gaining informati
Jeffrey
Feb 25, 2014 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La creme de la creme of the Policiers! Magritte rocks!!!!
Mike Clinton
Aug 30, 2011 Mike Clinton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the plot has an interesting twist, the real appeal has to do with Simenon's concentration on Maigret's internal life - more of a character study of the protagonist than a mystery. In fact, the French word for books of this type - 'policiers', rather than 'roman mystere' - indicates that the real focus is on the detective himself. Still, the story was still compelling enough to make it a satisfying read ... for what it is.
Ruth
Jan 07, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I'm a Maigret fan. Secondly, I spent a summer in Vichy as a teenager many years ago. This book has it all. My favorite Simenon mystery.
Thomas
Feb 05, 2013 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maigret ist in Vichy auf Kur, beobachtet seine Mitmenschen, stößt auf ein Verbrechen und klärt es. Ein neuer Beleg für die These:das Verbrechen lauert in der Idylle, hinter jeder Fassade wird etwas verborgen. Mit nachvollziehbaren Typen und Erklärungen von Menschen, die auf Kur sind. Stimmig und atmosphärisch dicht in Simenons kanpper Sprache
Lisa
Nov 18, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maigret takes "the curative waters". I like it because is reminds me of one my fave healing places.I like mysteries because they are not the most difficult, relaxing read, and they tell you something of the writer and culture. You can feel the French even with the translation.
Finished, enjoyed.
Sara
Apr 18, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Simenon's best. An unforgettable main character whose real story is quite unpredictable. We also see Maigret and his wife in the spa atmosphere of Vichy. I especially like the Maigrets which give little insights into his private life.
Jessica
a fun read.
Hadn't ever read Simenon before.
(on doit le lire en francais, non?)*
(she says, with her mauvais francais)

*though I've the French edition here, I read it in English, a discarded library book circa 1960.
Kathryn
Feb 01, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
Even though these books aren't really about who did it, I'm still so proud I figured this one out before the end. All those hours of watching Law and Order are finally paying off...
Kathy
Apr 28, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathy by: Dad
Fast read, engrossing with an interesting approach to character development and investigation. First Maigret story I've read, will probably read more.
Paul Jellinek
Oct 23, 2012 Paul Jellinek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back up to his usual level of perfection. Nobody else writes mysteries like these, because nobody else could.
Dawn
Jan 18, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: languages
I'm reading the French edition of this book. Great French practice. I love the character Maigret.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
taking the cure and a busman's holiday
Babete
Apr 16, 2015 ioana. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chal
3,5
Ellyn
Ellyn marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Geoffrey Bucknall
Geoffrey Bucknall rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
  • Acqua in bocca
  • Sans feu ni lieu
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos
  • Tatuaggio (Pepe Carvalho #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • The Glass Cell
  • Attenti al gorilla
  • Dead Man Upright (Factory #5)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • Crimini
  • Unforgivable: A Novel
  • Hammett
  • The Best of Warren Ellis: DOWN and Tales of the Witchblade
  • Per cosa si uccide
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)