Start by marking “The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa” as Want to Read:
The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa

The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa

Politically incorrect, comprehensively unscientific, and exceptionally funny, this guidebook identifies—and pokes fun at—the people of the Rainbow Nation. After sorting out the labels Black, English Whites, Afrikaners, and Coloreds, the discussion pushes on to more difficult questions: Why should you never give a White woman a white-gold engagement ring? Why do Indian men ...more
Published August 15th 2011 by Jacana Media (first published October 20th 2010)

Maneden
Nov 03, 2011 Maneden rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a fantastic take on the people of South Africa! Simon does not walk on egg shells but calls each race on their traits - good, bad and funny! Some of it might even rationalise behaviours while others are merely the truth with confusion. I recommend it to every single South African - laugh at yourself and enjoy!
Jeanine
Jan 18, 2012 Jeanine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Every South-African with a sense of homour
Recommended to Jeanine by: Alex
Loved it and laughed my arse off!

He is spot on with our preconcieved ideas about other people. This means that when you read about your own race/culture and think that it does not always reflect the reality, you realise that the same must be true of the other cultures you have been placing in a box.

Tebello Nyapotse
Aug 18, 2016 Tebello Nyapotse rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I enjoyed it. The humor of it is on another level. I was even able to identify with my race. It is basically the truth presented in a humorous manner.

I am recommending it to everyone who wants to have a good laugh and still agree to the content.
Sonja Arlow
Dec 07, 2015 Sonja Arlow rated it liked it
This was a great little book poking fun at every conceivable stereotype of the rainbow nation. I guarantee you will recognize family, friends and colleagues hidden in the book.
Maja Dezulovic
Aug 29, 2016 Maja Dezulovic rated it it was amazing
Racism has been a controversial issue in South Africa since the turn of the twentieth century. It’s out there. It will be out there for generations to come, so perhaps we should shift our focus a bit to the lighter side of our differences and have a good laugh. That’s precisely what this book achieves.

I received the book from a friend as a welcoming gift after a prolonged trip to Europe. Reading it was a humorous reminder of what I was coming back to. The book is a parody of something that would
Rosa
Jul 08, 2016 Rosa rated it really liked it
As an American, I learned almost nothing about South Africa in school. It wasn't until I relocated to South Korea that I met a sizable number of South African expats, including people of Black, Afrikaans, and Coloured backgrounds. (When I first worked up the courage to ask my Coloured friend about her experiences during Apartheid, I nearly had a heart attack when she referred to herself as "Coloured." In America, such a term has expired out of regular usage and denotes an outdated, bigoted part ...more
Ivan
Jul 08, 2015 Ivan rated it really liked it
Read it on the train while on holiday in SA. Really entertaining read. Some stereotypes were actually useful as a tourist, but the book's aim is obviously to explore cultural differences in a fun and lighthearted way. I think I liked the first half or so more, but it's the kind of text you forget after some time, so I don't remember exactly. I definitely recommend it if you live in or are visiting SA. It's the kind of book that is fun to read with others (aloud) since everyone will enjoy it a ...more
Goele Lousbergh
Sep 22, 2013 Goele Lousbergh rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Quote: "The [...] animal that Blacks don't get along with is lions in the Kruger National Park, but I don't think the lions are racists [...]. The lions just eat the Blacks because they're walking from Mozambique to South Africa and when a lion spots an easy kill, it'll take it. We can't yet prove if the lions are racists because there are no Whites walking through the Kruger Park."
Worth it.
Tracy Grant
Apr 22, 2011 Tracy Grant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
The title is misleading since it is not actually about racists, but it does poke fun at the South African tendency to like to categorise people. All South Africans of all races and ages should read this book. Very funny, absolutely irreverent and although loaded with stereotypes it is spot on most of the time.
Nico
May 04, 2014 Nico rated it it was amazing
Funniest book ever - I've read it a bunch of times and every time it has me in stitches of laughter. A must read, especially for anyone who has had experience with South Africa and / or South Africans.
Alecia Preller
Feb 09, 2016 Alecia Preller rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly entertaining. If you're from South Africa, you'll be able to relate with the stereotypes the author illustrated. A must read for someone who needs a laugh about the people in our country!
Renate
Apr 30, 2016 Renate rated it liked it
This book had me in tears of laughter.

I'd say the closer your association with "The Whites" (english speaking white South Africans) the funnier you are likely to find this book :-)
Mukhtar
May 24, 2011 Mukhtar rated it really liked it
waaaahhaaahahhahah...this is funny, and so right, just what we need.

Do not read if easily offended..equal digs at all the race types in SA..
Katie Curl
Mar 20, 2014 Katie Curl rated it liked it
A cheeky look at the different cultures of South Africa. For an outsider, it was highly entertaining. I can't wait to read The Racist's Guide to America.
Timothy
Dec 19, 2014 Timothy rated it it was amazing
So true and brilliantly written. Best read aloud at dinner parties when everyone can share the humour!
Anna Jailene
Dec 27, 2012 Anna Jailene rated it it was amazing
My five star rating of this book is based on it being such an easy read and absolutely funny. I couldn't even hide my laughter. So true and anyone who gets offended must be a real frigid person.
Bader
Aug 14, 2014 Bader rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
I am not a South African but got lucky to have this book back from my visit to South Africa. It's enjoyably funny, and yeah it's racist.
Julia
Nov 29, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it

Hilarious and mostly accurate! Its funny how you don't notice these things in your everyday life but realise how true they are when someone points them out.
Brett Harvey
Brett Harvey rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Paula Russell
Paula Russell rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Costa
Costa rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Gwenael
Gwenael rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2015
Nafee
Nafee rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
An
Mar 22, 2011 An rated it it was amazing
So funny having been to south africa on holiday!
Lislevh
Lislevh rated it liked it
May 02, 2012
Ntando
Ntando rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2011
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Juwi
Juwi rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Jock of the Bushveld
  • Die staat teen Anna Bruwer
  • The True Confessions of an Albino Terrorist
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • L'Univers expliqué à mes petits-enfants
  • The Settler
  • The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • The Horns of the Buffalo (Simon Fonthill, #1)
  • Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth (Kindle Edition)
  • David's Story
  • Energy
  • The Unlikely Secret Agent
  • 117 Days: An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law
  • Endings and Beginnings