The Map of Me

The Map of Me

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The note Momma left on the fridge says only: “I HAVE TO GO.” But go where? Twelve-year-old Margie is convinced that Momma’s gone to the Rooster Romp at the International Poultry Hall of Fame, in search of additions to her precious flock of chicken memorabilia. And it’s up to Margie to bring her home. So she commandeers her daddy’s Faithful Ford, kidnaps her nine-year-old s...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Bloodlines by Richelle MeadChain Reaction by Simone ElkelesHades by Alexandra AdornettoDelirium by Lauren OliverAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
2011 August YA Releases
40th out of 71 books — 78 voters
Big River's Daughter by Bobbi MillerFlutter by Erin E. MoultonDon't Touch by Rachel M. WilsonIf All the Animals Came Inside by Eric PinderTracing Stars by Erin E. Moulton
VCFA Student/Alum Books
95th out of 133 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle
When everyone in the world seems to misunderstand you and life is harder than it should how do you handle the abandonment of one of the only ones who supported you. Margie goes after her. One afternoon after a particularly hard day at school, that includes her little sister teasing her relentlessly, Margie comes home to a note on their chicken decorated fridge “I HAVE TO GO”. Without the support of her father and with her sister tagging behind her she borrows her dad’s prized truck and begins to...more
Terrie
Review Book. Reading level suggestion Grades 3-6.

This is a story of a young girl searching for who she is.

Twelve year old Margie steals her father's car, kidnaps her younger but brighter sister and goes in search of their mother, whom they believe is at a Rooster Romp at the International Poultry Hall of Fame. While this story of a disfunctional family is sweet and readable, there was plenty that bothered me.

First of all the main character Margie is in the 6th grade, physically able to drive a...more
Kat Goldin
This book is not well-balanced, but does have humor, sadness, joy, family relationships, and love. There is a strong storyline, but not a full understanding of the main protagonist and how she as a 12 year-old would take it upon herself to go get her mother and the chicken, FOUL memorabilia with the little brainiac sister who causes Margie grief. I realize that her relationship with her father is stressful, yet stealing his truck will mend any rifle? Peep is book smart and, yes, her little siste...more
Sarah BT
About the Book: When Peep and Margie arrive home to find a note on the fridge from Momma that says only "I have to go" Margie is convinced that she knows where Momma went. Momma has to be at the International Poultry Hall of Fame to find the Henny Penny Coin Bank to complete her chicken collectables. It's up to Margie to find her and bring her home. So Margie finds an extra key to Daddy's Faithful Ford and Margie and her younger sister are off in search of Momma. As Margie sets off on a trip to...more
Angie
How funny. I was offered a copy of this book to review for my blog and then ... oh, about a month later (I'm a little behind in my reading--been under the weather for a while now, dumb fall allergies) I won a Skype visit from this author through a different blog.

Luckily ... I liked it! Really! Kind of reminded me of Frances O'Roark Dowell, Frances O'Roark in terms of writing style. This is realistic fiction about a young girl named Margie trying to find her place in middle school and in her fami...more
Kristen
First Impression:
There's nothing more interesting to me than sister stories. Maybe it's because I have two of my own and can relate well, even if it's a bit more outlandish or different than my own experiences. And this book seemed like quite an adventure for two sisters to have.

While Reading:
Once I started reading, I related to Margie because she reminded me of my older sister. A bit impulsive, kind of mean and definitely the type to act out for attention. I was like Peep growing up, only a hec...more
Allison Parker
Margie’s world is rocked when she comes home one day from school, expecting to find her mother as usual, and instead she finds just a note: “I have to go.” She believes she knows where her mother went and hijacks her father’s precious car and her smarty-pants younger sister to boot. But Margie’s confidence wavers as it seems less and less likely that she’ll be the hero who brings her mother home.

Tweens will identify with Margie’s struggle in comparing herself with a rather bratty and brainiac s...more
Cathe Olson
When 12-year old Margie and her younger sister Peep come home from school one day to find their mom has left them, Margie decides that she must bring her back. She steals her father's car (after all, she'd driven before--in her daddy's lap, but still--driving is no harder than riding a bike) and heads for the place she's sure her mother is waiting and then everything can be as it was.

I can't believe how much I loved this book. I could totally relate to Margie's feelings of being invisible and th...more
Faith
Momma left leaving a note that said, I HAVE TO GO. Go where? Margie believes she knows. She thinks Momma went to the Rooster Romp at the International Poultry Hall of Fame. Margie decides to go after Momma, taking along, Peep, her genius little sister. Margie is only 12, can she drive to the International Poultry Hall of Fame?

Reasons I like this book-

Reason 1- Margie loves her Mother so much, that she is willing to go after her and find her.

Reason 2- Margie thinks the only way to bring Momma hom...more
JennLynn
A girl is upset when she comes home and finds her mother gone, leaving only a cryptic message. Somehow she thinks her mother has gone to a nearby town in search of a chicken collectible. Taking along her precocious younger sister, she "borrows" her father's car and heads off in search of her mother - and some of the value she feels she lacks in comparison to her sister. I found this book both sad and slightly implausible at the same time. It just didn't appeal to me and didn't leave me feeling e...more
Mercy
Apr 05, 2012 Mercy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: j-fic
Mother leaves family- older daughter goes on quest to find her. I thought the mother-daughter relationship needed more set-up/depth the beginning- as SLJ review says- "not enough attention is given to the parents' relationship to make the woman's departure believable, and Aunt Blanche, proprietor of the International Poultry Hall of Fame, is too quick to gather these runaway chicks under her wings and instill wisdom."
Megan
Margie feels like the stupid older sister, being stuck with her precocious much younger sister (Peep) in the same grade as her. When her chicken paraphenilia-collecting mother disappears, Margie kidnaps Peep and her father's car and heads off to Flench, KY, to find her mom. She is forced to listen to Peep's complaints and insults the whole time. I never really felt a strong resolution at the end of the story.
Mary
This book hooked me right away. The writing was engaging and well done. The poignant relationship Margie had with her sister was very well done. The mother's disappearance was out of context for me and a stumbling block to my enjoyment overall. I never understood why or what actually happened. I needed more about that and the father's reaction was not believable, so the ending was a big disappointment.
Mary Louise Sanchez
Margie is twelve and barely scratching at the surface of life when suddenly Mama has left a note on the fridge saying I HAVE TO GO. Margie takes her precocious nine-year-old sister,Peep, who is in Margie's class, along with their father's car, and drives the Kentucky highways to find their mother who is probably searching for the elusive Henny Penny coin cannister, and bring her home to roost.
Anna
Tami Lewis Brown does a wonderful job revealing the emotional arc of the main character. The use of the class mapping assignment is an effective endowed object. Very powerful, lyrical writing! I wish that the father's character had evolved more by the end but perhaps the main character's development is enough. Thought provoking.
Erin Moulton
Margie drags her genius little sister, Peep, off to the International Poultry Hall of Fame in their dad's Faithful Ford in the hopes of bringing their Momma home. This quiet book is a sweet, well-written story of love and acceptance. A quick and enjoyable read.
Jen Mech
This book broke my heart. I was right there in the car with the girls through their whole trip. The author made this book short and sweet. She could have written more of an exposition, and more falling action, but really, the story didn't need it.
Jalyn
Jan 02, 2014 Jalyn marked it as to-read
Shelves: jayy
I think this is a very good book.
Edward Sullivan
A warm, well-written family story about love, acceptance and understanding.
Lee Vb
This book was written really well. Both my daughter and I loved this book.
Monique
Wasn't a spectacular, memorable read, but it did keep my attention to the end.
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Cheyenne
Cheyenne marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014