All the Things You Are

All the Things You Are

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Carly Wheeler lives a charmed life. Her mother is a stylist for the soap opera Lovelock Falls, she lives in a nice house, and goes to an excellent private school. But when her mom is arrested and charged with embezzlement, everything starts to unravel. There are shocking stories about her mother's crimes in the local newspaper. Carly's friends start avoiding her. And her s...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtBigger than a Bread Box by Laurel SnyderWords in the Dust by Trent ReedyThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. ValenteBreadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
Middle Grade Novels of 2011
89th out of 126 books — 143 voters
Savvy by Ingrid LawSummer of the Wolves by Lisa Williams KlineThe Glory Wind by Valerie SherrardA Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson LevineListening for Lucca by Suzanne LaFleur
Books For The Summer!
74th out of 103 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi
This is a First Reads Giveaway book. I think every teen and pre-teen girl should read this book!

Carly is 12 and when her mom gets arrested for embezzlement Carly has to come to terms with her mom's mistakes and learn about what it means to be a true friend.

This book does an excellent job showing that our actions and decisions have consequences that impact not only us but those around us too. It also shows what it takes to be a good friend to others, especially when they are in crisis.

This book...more
Anne
Carly's dad died when she was 6 weeks old. Mom re-married a man that Carly calls Faux Pa (a nice play on words). He has 2 children from a previous marriage that spend quite a bit of time with Carly and her family. All this seeming tranquility is brought to an abrupt halt when mom is arrested for embezzling! Carly struggles to deal with the loss of friendships, resulting trust issues with her mom, and basically trying to re-adjust to a new world view.
The story is well-written but the emotions se...more
Bookworm1858
All the Things You Are by Courtney Sheinmel
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2011
258 pages
MG; Contemporary
4/5 stars

Source: Received a free ARC via Simon & Schuster's GalleyGrab program in exchange for an honest review.

One day thirteen year old Carly's mother is arrested for embezzlement and conspiracy, throwing a wrench into her pretty enjoyable life. She attended a private school, was friends with the most popular girl in her grade, loved her mother and her cool job as a wardrob...more
Lauren
After Courtney Sheinmel’s Positively, Courtney and her books officially landed on my book radar, because she has such a knack for writing memorable and poignant middle-grade fiction. Thankfully, her newest release, All the Things You Are, did not disappoint.

In Carly Wheeler’s life, everything is nearly perfect. She has a best friend named Annie whose funny and one of a kind. She attends a diverse private school filled with lots of interesting and nice people. Best of all, her mom works on Lovelo...more
Bibi Rose
Jessica Lawlor
For Carly Wheeler, life is good. She lives in a beautiful house with her stylish mom and her stepfather whom she loves. Carly’s mom is a stylist for the popular soap opera Lovelock Falls, and Carly and her best friend Annie love going with her mom to the set.

But in an instant everything changes when Carly’s mom is arrested and charged with embezzlement. Carly’s entire world is turned upside down. Her friends stop talking to her and she constantly worries about what’s going to happen to her mom....more
Chrissy
**Disclosure: I received this novel as a free e-book from S&S Galley Grab. Although I am highly smitten with free books, all opinions are my own and are uninfluenced by the price I paid for the reading experience.**

Getting right down to business -- starting with the plot. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE centers around Carly, a preteen with a pretty glamorous life. She goes to a ritzy private school, courtesy of her mom's high-profile job as a fashionista on a well known soap opera. Carly is no strang...more
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Carly's grown up with it all. She's never wanted for anything, and she's the envy of all the girls at her private school, but when she hears a whisper one day about her mother, she had no idea it was all about to fall apart. When the whisper becomes a raging torrent of press, anger and confusion, Carly isn't sure where her place is anymore. Her friends don't want her, her mother's actions confuse her, and she just wants everything to go back to normal. Can she grow up and adapt, or will Carly su...more
L_manning
I enjoyed this book a lot. It's the story of Carly, a girl who lives a fairly privileged life. She goes to a very nice private school, and she gets a lot of perks from her mother's job as a stylist on a soap opera. Sounds like a pretty nice life, right? It is until one day Carly's mom get arrested for embezzling from the soap opera. Suddenly Carly's life is turned completely upside down.

One of the main themes in this book is forgiveness. Carly is angry at her mom for making her lose friends and...more
Katie
“The lost crown” was a great book about Russian history. I knew about the two revolutions, which took place in Russia in 1917, but they’re always described in history books of the perspective of the population, never of the family of the tsar. So it was nice to finally read the story of their point of view. I also didn’t know they were all killed in the end, so I could also learn from the book. I recently read another historical fiction book, which was great as well. They contain not only great...more
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
This book was just okay for me. I know I was supposed to feel bad for Carly, but I just didn't care that she was going through a hard time. Overall, I just couldn't muster up any kind of sympathy or emotion for Carly, her family, and her friends. It was hard to relate to, as far as a close relatively embezzling money to support me goes. I guess I can relate to wondering if I can trust people after they've betrayed it, but the book just felt bland.

There wasn't a lot of emotion in it, and I was r...more
Jaime Leroy
Carly has the perfect life. She goes to a great private school and her best friend is the most popular girl in school. Her mom is a stylist for the hottest soap opera on daytime TV. She is popular and her mom is awesome. That all changes when her mom is arrested for embezzling money from the very soap opera that has employed her for eight years. Now, Carly doesn’t know what to think of the mother she so dearly loved, her friends at school don’t want to be her friends anymore and she may have to...more
Ariel
Plot: I had a hard time getting into this book at first. It started slow and wasn't very interesting, but luckily it picks up soon after and ends well.

Characters: I was really annoyed with Carly's best friend Annie. She was selfish and a miserable person, and I didn't think Carly deserved her as a friend. I did appreciate how their friendship ended up, however.

Setting: I liked that part of the book was both on the set of the show, and in the court room. It helps the reader visualize where the ch...more
Louisa
I read a few reviews before posting my own and for the most part I do agree with a lot of the criticism.

I too had a really hard time caring what happened to this family--Carly included. The only main character that I felt at all emotionally invested in was her stepfather, the archly coined Faux Pa. Dude, that poor dude.

However, the novel's saving grace was a well-drawn army of peripheral characters. I loved her neighbor Amelia, her school-friend Lauren. Even her step-sister Jessa.

From what I rem...more
Christie Brown
I like that the conflict in this story is unlike what readers typically find in YA novels. Although most youth haven't faced the issue of a parent going to prison, I think a lot of the feelings and situations Carly experiences are ones that teens will make connections with even though what they are personally facing may be quite different. Carly has a friend say mean things to her and exclude her; she worries that her parents will divorce; and she has to learn to forgive. These sitatuions are re...more
Tracie
Carly has a good life with her mom, who works as a clothing stylist on a popular soap opera, and her great stepfather whom she calls lovingly, Faux Pa. When her mom is suddenly accused of using the show's credit cards to make personal purchases and pay bills things start to change. All of which will ultimately teach Carly about friendship, including how to be a better a friend herself, love and forgiveness. I'd actually give this 3.5 stars. It is readable, realistic and interesting.
Stasia Kehoe
Almost-thirteen-year-old Carly's life is thrown into chaos when her mom is accused of embezzlement. From going to school in the wake of scandalous news articles, to dealing with the wide-ranging reactions of classmates, to being swept into the jarring world the criminal courst, Courtney Sheinmel creates a richly textured story of a girl dealing with the fact that her family will never be the same again. An gripping and powerful read.
Gayathri Mudigonda
I really liked this book. It was about a girl named Carly whose world was turned upside down when her mom got arrested for embezzlement.I think that when Annie's (Carly's best friend) mom got arrested,I felt like that was too much of a coincidence and that event was way too rushed. I also really hated Annie's and Carly's friendship.Annie did not deserve Carly's friendship:) Overall,it was a nice, enjoyable read.
Lisa
Carly's mom is kind and loving. Carly admires her mom and feels lucky to have such a fashionable and loving mom. But Carly's mom made some bad choices and they've finally caught up with her. She is going to prison and Carly's life is in upheaval. What will happen to her and her family? Told from Carly's twelve year old perspective, her story is poignant and real.
Rebecca
This was an interesting book if only for the fact that the mother embezzles and is convicted. Plus which the mother is in the soap-opera industry. Both elements you don't usually come across. Our protagonist, Carly, has her life up-ended and that's interesting.
Ekta
Full review on Sniff Books, Not Drugs: http://tinyurl.com/63op6q7

To Sum It Up
A light read that dealt with the theme of forgiveness and acceptance.
Relatable characters and understandable situations.

*THANK YOU GALLEY GRAB! Much love <3
Erin
Oct 17, 2011 Erin rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, ya
Far too much exposition and random descriptions, boring narrative--and really, no point. What a convoluted and random plot. Seems someone had intimate knowledge of a court case and wanted to educate kids on it? But why?
The Library Lady
This is reminiscent of "problem" novels of the 70s and 80s. I liked this but didn't love it. My 12 year old daughter felt the same way. Found Carly calling her stepfather "Faux Pa" to be an unnecessarily cute touch.
Heather
Carly's life changes when her mom gets arrested for embezzlement.

A realistic portrayal of the conflicting emotions you go through when someone you love has betrayed you.
Janessa
I love this so much it give u a good lesson and it shows u what ur true friend r every one should read this BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kaitlin
BOOOORING AND NO EMOTIONS.... I read this with my TAG (teen advisory group) and we all have the same opinion: boring and it sucked.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book was okay. It is about a girl whose mother is arrested because of using money from the company where she works. J.S.
Elsa
It was ok. I liked that her stepfather didn't abandon her even though he was really angry at her mom.
Dahlia
Mother Daughter Book Club book #2 - girls enjoyed it. Ending was pretty silly.
  • Four Seasons
  • Displacement
  • Girl Wonder
  • What Comes After
  • Silhouetted by the Blue
  • And Then Things Fall Apart
  • Are You Going to Kiss Me Now?
  • The Opposite of Amber
  • The Sweetest Thing
  • Dreams of Significant Girls
  • The Reinvention of Bessica Lefter
  • The Babysitter Murders
Goal of each day: to read a bit, and to write a bit.

Look for the Stella Batts #6: Something Blue, in stores and online on April 1, 2014.
More about Courtney Sheinmel...
Positively  Sincerely, Sophie; Sincerely, Katie My So-Called Family Stella Batts Needs a New Name Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow (Stella Batts)