Start by marking “To the Stars” as Want to Read:
To the Stars

To the Stars

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Best known as Mr. Sulu, helmsman of the Starship Enterprise and Captain of the Starship Excelsior, George Takei is beloved by millions as part of the command team that has taken audiences to new vistas of adventure in Star Trek - the unprecedented television and feature film phenomenon. From the program's death at the hands of the network to its rebirth in the hearts and m ...more
Published December 1st 1995 by Simon Spotlight Entertainment (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about To the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Stars

Dan
I thought about starting this review off with the sentence, “This book is the perfect reason I don’t go into bookstores any more”, but that might tease you into thinking I’m about to describe a terrible read.

Nothing could possibly be further from the truth!

I was walking around a local big box bookstore one evening with a friend and, knowing my propensity to buy books just for the thrill when I know I’ve got bookshelves filled with unread books, I gave in and bought the autobiography of George Ta
Harry Concepcion
For me, the audiobook version is the only way to enjoy this book. What could be better than to hear George Takei tell his life story in his own voice? Oh myyy!!!!
Nick Gotch
I actually listened to the newly released audio book version read by Takei himself. An excellent insight into the man and some behind-the-scenes history of Star Trek.

The first few chapters are emotionally powerful, when he talks about his youth and time spent inside US internment camps with his family, but it does get lighter later on. Lots on his early acting career and even his brief dabbling with politics.
Blanche
Simply delightful. George Takei is a lovely, thoughtful man, with a delightfully personable writing style. Throughout his rich life -- he begins by describing his experiences as a small boy in the Japanese American internment camps -- he maintains a clear sense of joy, a belief in the potential of humanity, and a wonderful sense of humor. As a Trekkie, I also love seeing the same stories from yet another perspective. His perspectives on the show, and on his fellow actors, are fascinating windows ...more
Grace
I enjoyed Mr. Takei's early childhood memories with his family, start into show business and Star Trek memoirs. Now I'm eagerly waiting for the "true" autobiography that explains how he handled his homosexuality in Hollywood during a time where you needed to stay "in the closet" just to work. I am such a George Takei fan!
Melissa McCauley
I learned so many things I did not know about George Takei by reading this thoroughly engaging autobiography. As a child he was interred in a WWII Japanese-American prison camp in Arkansas (my state!). He started college as an architecture major, but switched to theater and received both B.A. and M.A. degrees from UCLA. He spent a decade working on the board of directors for the Southern California Rapid Transit. He has been involved in politics since his junior high school days. He had many act ...more
Andy
A fascinating biography by George Takei. The biography actually has only a little to do with his stint as Sulu on Star Trek.

What fascinated me was his description of growing up in the internment camps in the US during WWII. I knew the US interned Americans of Japanese decent during the war (our neighbors when I was growing up are Japanese and were interned during the war), but I did not stop to think about what it was like until I read this book. Strangely enough I read this book during a trip
Kathleen
As a veteran of the American internment camps during WWII and an aspiring actor during a time when the parts for Asian leads in movies were still going to the likes of Sir Alec Guinness, George Takei's perspective on race relations in the US is fascinating. This would be a worthwhile story from any author, but it carries special interest coming from someone who portrayed such a famous, groundbreaking character.

Plus, there are awesome behind the scenes Star Trek stories.
Lisa
Of all the casts' memoirs, Takei's autobiography is the most poignant. He spent several years with his family (his father a former doctor in San Francisco) in an American "internment camp" during WWII and their family lost everything.

I appreciated his honesty and ability to delve into such painful memories to bring to life that atrocity, but more importantly his conquest over racial prejudices that marred that period of history
Thomas
This is an excellent read that focuses on the life of George Takei. It spends less than half of the book on his Star Trek career, and instead focuses on his childhood and acting education. I really appreciated his insight into the life of a Japanese-American during and post-WWII, even though he was just a child when the war occurred.

He seems to harbor a bit of a grudge against William Shatner, which may be justified based on what I've read about the man.

One thing that I found absolutely fascinat
kimberly
george takei is fan-freaking-tastic.

really enjoyable autobiography - well written and concise. definitely not gritty or juicy - george is far too circumspect for that. it was fascinating to read about his early family life in the internment camps, about how his father dealt with his desire to go into the arts, and what he felt his role was in furthering asian americans in theater and film.

i'd also never realized that he was so much into politics - he loved the democratic process and ideals. it
Mallory
I really enjoyed this book. As a Trek fan, I've made it my personal business to read all the books about the history of Trek that I possibly can, and I'd say so far, this one has been my favorite. Mr. Takei speaks very eloquently about his time in Japanese internment camps, his parent's sacrifices to him and his siblings and to their country. He writes with a heartbreaking sense of openness about some things that I'm sure a lot of people in America would like to forget, but he doesn't do it with ...more
Kathy
I really liked it. Was different from what I was expecting. He was 4 when his family was placed in an internment camp for being Japanese during WWII. That experience shaped him, for the good, and has made him an advocate for all sorts of minority groups. Clean language and no sex! Unlike many a Hollywood tale.
Rena Sherwood
Mr. Sulu only plays a small part in the life of George "Oh MY" Takei. He's the most eloquent writer of the Star Trek family and has the most compelling biography. However, this book never touches on Takei's homosexuality. The book is rich enough not to need sexual spice, though. Highly recommended!
Jim
One night in Sept 1966, I sat down in front of the old black-and-white TV in my bedroom to watch a new TV show called Star Trek. From the very first episode all the way until today, I am still proud to be a big fan of the whole Star Trek world!

It should be no surprise that when I discovered "To The Stars" by George Takei (Mr Sulu to you), I downloaded it from audible.com and listened. A relatively short book (about 3+ hours of audio) it covered the life story of our favorite helmsman. From growi
Jenny
George Takei is more than Sulu, that is for sure. He went through so much as a young child, being in a Japanese-American Interment Camp with his parents and siblings...yet he never lost his positive attitude toward things, and neither did his parents for the most part. Of course this book has a lot of things about Star Trek, and of Mr. Takei's interests in politics as well, however that is not what drew me to this book, nor kept me reading it(because I have probably only seen one or two episodes ...more
Kelly
This was an interesting read. George Takei writes about his time in a Japanese internment camp, his struggle to become a successful minority actor, the drama of working on Star Trek, and his involvement in the creation of the subway system in Los Angeles. Again, not being a professional writer has led to many flowery details that are not as interesting to others as George may has thought. Overall, more an account of an admirable Japanese American and all of his contributions to society than a co ...more
Kim
I have read both Shatner's and Nimoy's memoirs and a bio on Roddenberry, so this was a natch. While I did enjoy most of the book and it really is more like 3 1/2 stars, it got bogged down in places when Takei kinda started whining about Shatner's behavior on set and the lack of Sulu's advancement. (Since the book was published in 1994, I do not know what his take on the current Sulu is like.) What really got me were all of the BIG names he worked with BEFORE Star Trek. I also did not know about ...more
Amy
I am not a huge autobiography reader, but my husband got this for me given how much I love George Takei on facebook. I found it extremely enjoyable, engaging and very personal. I never knew Mr. Takei has been involved in so heavily in public service nor how much deeply he cares about all people and the world he lives in. My only disappointment, if you can call it that, is that it didnt keep going! But it was published in 1994. Even if you are not a Star Trek fan, this is a great read with a lot ...more
Kris Sellgren
This autobiography by George Takei, who plays Lt. Sulu on the original Star Trek TV series, is engaging and inspiring. It starts with his internment at a U.S. camp for Japanese-Americans during WW II, and ends with the U.S government's apology 43 years later. In between are sparkling stories of the headiness of getting his first acting jobs while at UCLA, the challenges of being Asian-American as a student and an actor, and the roller-coaster ride that his Star Trek career has been. This was an ...more
'becca
It was fascinating. Seriously. I loved the theme, returned to throughout the book, about American ideals. How they're worth fighting for, in spite of our country's past and imperfections, and how individuals can make a difference. I was grateful to see into a time, circumstances, areas and cultures I wouldn't have otherwise. He met Eleanor Roosevelt and Martin Luther King, Jr.! I related to his "thespian yearnings". And I love that he studied architecture and admired the work of Frank Lloyd Wrig ...more
Arial
A touching story beautifully told <3
Vincent Darlage
This book was captivating. I had no idea how much Mr. Takei was involved in local politics.
Helen
I think I read this the year it came out. That's when I learned just how cool Mr. Takei is. I've *been* telling people ever since, but it took Facebook for people to really get it. Yay! Not only is he cool, but he's kind - which is way harder. If yer a Trekkie or you enjoy celebrity biographies, give this one a try. Recommended.

(P.S. I haven't looked to see if there's an audiobook, but if there is one and George Takei reads it himself; I'd recommend that highly).
Michael
This was an interesting read, learning about his life in an internment camp in WWII and his life in TV and movies. It was done before he came out, which now seems like a crazy idea; George in the closet? But he was, so there is no mention of his real life in this book. This brings the score down, almost as if the autobiography became a fiction novel. I'm not harping, just being honest. His storytelling is good and I want to read the updated version.
Patricia Williford
George Takei's story from his early childhood in internment camps, to his lifelong political activism, to his career is fascinating. However, I believe it was published before he he came out, and so it says nothing about his long term relationship with his husband and his active support for gay rights. I found the lack of information about his personal relationships left gaping hole in a book that is supposed to be a memoir.
David Rytell
It's not bad. Many aren't aware that George Takei spent a good part of his childhood behind barbed wire in a concentration camp for Japanese Americans during WWII. An early gig was a dubbing artist for a "Rodan" movie. Humorous, witty, but nothing profound. Ran for City Council in L.A. and has many anecdotes behind the scenes of Star Trek. Does not portray a good picture of Shatner. Enjoyable light reading.
Suzie
4.5 stars from me. Uncle George's autobiography brought tears to my eyes quite a few times. I thoroughly enjoyed this account of his life, and it revealed a lot about his activism and interest in politics. Oh and some Star Trek stuff too. I smiled at the dedication and mention of Brad Altman, and reflected how difficult it would be to write the story of your life without disclosing such an important relationship.
Carol
I was really surprised and pleased with this book - have already recommended it so many times my family's eyes begin to dim when I bring it up. Star Trek I expected. The history lesson, primer about show business, and the view of conventions from the other side of the stage I did not expect.

I REALLY recommend this book. Seriously.
Joe
Well written and entertaining. Again a book I purchased because of the Star Trek connection, and again I was pleasantly surprised to find much more than behind the scene tales from the show. Mr. Takei's sharing of his life was interesting, often funny and occasionally sad as well but it was always compelling. A good book!
  • Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories
  • I Am Spock
  • Star Trek Memories
  • From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley
  • Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (Star Trek)
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • Spock's World
  • The Metaphysics of Star Trek
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers, Volume II
  • Vulcan's Glory
George Hosato Takei is an American actor best known for his role in the TV series Star Trek, in which he played the helmsman Hikaru Sulu on the USS Enterprise, as well as his dreamy voice and upbeat country singing. Most recently, he played Hiro Nakamura's father Kaito Nakamura on the NBC television show Heroes.

Takei is also known for his baritone voice and catch phrase, "Oh my!" Consequently, Tak
More about George Takei...
Oh Myyy! Lions and Tigers and Bears (The Internet Strikes Back) (Life, the Internet and Everything) Mirror Friend, Mirror Foe Soldier of Change: From the Closet to the Forefront of the Gay Rights Movement Cacophony (Star Trek: The Original)

“Pioneering is never done in front of cheerleaders urging on a roaring grandstand of popular approval.” 3 likes