Start by marking “The Northern Queen” as Want to Read:
The Northern Queen

The Northern Queen (The Song and the Sorceress #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Northern Queen: The new sequel to Kim Vandervort's critically-acclaimed first novel, The Song and the Sorceress. Two short years have passed since Princess Ki'leah Alrhiane Del'Sivahr solved the ancient riddle that prevented Lyarra Val'rahimir from gaining a dangerous foothold on Si'vad-hardly enough time to prepare for the responsibilities of ruling a kingdom. Neverth ...more
Published November 12th 2010 by Hadley Rille Books

To ask other readers questions about The Northern Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Northern Queen

Karin Gastreich
For readers who came to know and love Ki'leah, Britta, Erich and Breyveran in Vandervort's debut novel The Song and the Sorceress this is a satisfying return to the rich world of Si'vad.

The story opens with Ki'leah's coronation and follows this remarkable young woman as she takes on the challenging task of ruling a kingdom. Intrigues and deceptions abound, and tension builds as a net of death and treachery closes in on the new queen.

Some readers may find the first half of the novel a little slo
Carol Hyland
I just finished The Song and the Sorceress, and loved it. I was impressed that you included a map so I could follow the journey from North to South. I wish I had a glossary for some of the words or a description of how you pronounce them. I was carried away by the tale and look forward to reading the Northern Queen.

Please keep writing Kim, I will read everything you put to paper. All my best.

Carol L. Hyland
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for

I had to read this book after reading the first in the series, THE SONG AND THE SORCERESS.

It has been two years since Ki'leah has returned from defeating Lyarra, the ancient evil sorceress, and two years since she has seen the man she loves, Breyveran, the King of Sahtamor. Her father has died, and she is to be crowned Queen of Si'vad.

She is very excited to see her love again, since many monarchs are coming to her coronation. Breyveran doesn't come
I liked this and will read the 3rd when it is published. But I didn't like it as much as the first one. Since I read it back to back with the first one, I found some of the differences between the end of the first and the beginning of the second jarring. For example, in the first book, the previous king is portrayed as a fairly bad, out of touch king. Then in the beginning of this one it's all about how he was such a great king.

I liked some of the palace politics, but Ki'leah was just too oblivi
Terri-lynne Defino
The stakes are higher, the costs are dearer, and if you thought "The Song and the Sorceress" was full of action, it was a walk in a moonlit garden compared to "Northern Queen." Kim Vandervort succeeds in doing what only the best series novels do--she's pulled her readers in all over again with new elements that raise the action and suspense to a higher level. And like really good second novels, it makes you want a third, and a fourth, and as many as she can keep writing.

No damsels in distress h
3 1/2 stars. I really enjoyed this book, but am frustrated with where it ends. After reading the author's blog it sounds like she is in the process of writing the next book in the series which I'm really happy about because there are way too many loose ends left at the end of this one. As with The Song and the Sorceress, I enjoyed reading about the characters in this book.
Stephanie Sundquist
I don't normally read fantasy novels, but I am loving this series. The characters are fantastic. Vandervort paints a vivid and detailed picture of her world, causing you to get lost in the pages, not wanting to find your way out. The Northern Queen leaves you yearning for more once the last page has been turned. I can't wait to read the next book! Write faster :)
this was a disappointing book as compared to the first. princess ki'leah came off as too whiny and there were contradictions in her character.

plus i felt that not a whole lot happened.
This series is amazing! I love the characters and Vandervort's prose is just fantastic. I can't wait for the next installment... give me more of Ki'leah and her world!
Second in the series - and definitely a place holder waiting for the 3rd. Lots of pages with not much happening. I'll probably finish the series (hoping that there are just 3) to see how it resolves, but the first book was the best of the two so far.
Better than the first, largely since the central character had grown up and stopped whining so much (and when she did, it was legitimate complaints!)
In which a newly-minted queen discovers that ruling and leadership require a different kind of strength.
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Xena Elektra
Xena Elektra marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Alan75 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Gally marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Nikki marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Staci added it
Feb 28, 2015
Bojana Kaplarski
Bojana Kaplarski marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Krystal marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Rebecca Borsley
Rebecca Borsley marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kim Vandervort began writing at the age of eleven as an outlet for her overactive imagination. Since then, she has written a variety of mostly-unpublished pieces that will never see the light of day. After attending Viable Paradise XI in 2007 her writing and marketing skills improved, enabling her to transition into publication. Her first short story, "The Librarian of Talimbourne," appeared in th ...more
More about Kim Vandervort...

The Song and the Sorceress (2 books)
  • The Song and the Sorceress
The Song and the Sorceress Outcast Renaissance Festival Tales The Librarian of Talimbourne Faire Aria