Start by marking “The Northern Queen” as Want to Read:
The Northern Queen

The Northern Queen (The Song and the Sorceress #2)

The Northern Queen: The new sequel to Kim Vandervort's critically-acclaimed first novel, The Song and the Sorceress. Two short years have passed since Princess Ki'leah Alrhiane Del'Sivahr solved the ancient riddle that prevented Lyarra Val'rahimir from gaining a dangerous foothold on Si'vad-hardly enough time to prepare for the responsibilities of ruling a kingdom. Neverth ...more
Published November 12th 2010 by Hadley Rille Books

To ask other readers questions about The Northern Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Northern Queen

Karin Gastreich
For readers who came to know and love Ki'leah, Britta, Erich and Breyveran in Vandervort's debut novel The Song and the Sorceress this is a satisfying return to the rich world of Si'vad.

The story opens with Ki'leah's coronation and follows this remarkable young woman as she takes on the challenging task of ruling a kingdom. Intrigues and deceptions abound, and tension builds as a net of death and treachery closes in on the new queen.

Some readers may find the first half of the novel a little slo
Julie
Apr 20, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, princesses
Carol Hyland
Feb 27, 2012 Carol Hyland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished The Song and the Sorceress, and loved it. I was impressed that you included a map so I could follow the journey from North to South. I wish I had a glossary for some of the words or a description of how you pronounce them. I was carried away by the tale and look forward to reading the Northern Queen.

Please keep writing Kim, I will read everything you put to paper. All my best.

Carol L. Hyland
Jennifer Wardrip
Apr 24, 2011 Jennifer Wardrip rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I had to read this book after reading the first in the series, THE SONG AND THE SORCERESS.

It has been two years since Ki'leah has returned from defeating Lyarra, the ancient evil sorceress, and two years since she has seen the man she loves, Breyveran, the King of Sahtamor. Her father has died, and she is to be crowned Queen of Si'vad.

She is very excited to see her love again, since many monarchs are coming to her coronation. Breyveran doesn't come
Stacey
Feb 06, 2015 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this and will read the 3rd when it is published. But I didn't like it as much as the first one. Since I read it back to back with the first one, I found some of the differences between the end of the first and the beginning of the second jarring. For example, in the first book, the previous king is portrayed as a fairly bad, out of touch king. Then in the beginning of this one it's all about how he was such a great king.

I liked some of the palace politics, but Ki'leah was just too oblivi
Terri-lynne Defino
The stakes are higher, the costs are dearer, and if you thought "The Song and the Sorceress" was full of action, it was a walk in a moonlit garden compared to "Northern Queen." Kim Vandervort succeeds in doing what only the best series novels do--she's pulled her readers in all over again with new elements that raise the action and suspense to a higher level. And like really good second novels, it makes you want a third, and a fourth, and as many as she can keep writing.

No damsels in distress h
Tammie
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed The Northern Queen, but am frustrated with where it ends. After reading the author's blog it sounds like she is in the process of writing the next book in the series which I'm really happy about because there are way too many loose ends left at the end of this one. As with The Song and the Sorceress, what I enjoyed the most about the book were the characters.
Stephanie Sundquist
I don't normally read fantasy novels, but I am loving this series. The characters are fantastic. Vandervort paints a vivid and detailed picture of her world, causing you to get lost in the pages, not wanting to find your way out. The Northern Queen leaves you yearning for more once the last page has been turned. I can't wait to read the next book! Write faster :)
Nicole
Jan 18, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
this was a disappointing book as compared to the first. princess ki'leah came off as too whiny and there were contradictions in her character.

plus i felt that not a whole lot happened.
Ginger
Feb 12, 2011 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This series is amazing! I love the characters and Vandervort's prose is just fantastic. I can't wait for the next installment... give me more of Ki'leah and her world!
Rachel
Jul 26, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Second in the series - and definitely a place holder waiting for the 3rd. Lots of pages with not much happening. I'll probably finish the series (hoping that there are just 3) to see how it resolves, but the first book was the best of the two so far.
Katrina
In which a newly-minted queen discovers that ruling and leadership require a different kind of strength.
Cheryl
Jun 01, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the first, largely since the central character had grown up and stopped whining so much (and when she did, it was legitimate complaints!)
Marta Morrison
Marta Morrison rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2011
Robin Sue
Robin Sue rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Pablo Enrique
Pablo Enrique rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Michael Eidson
Michael Eidson rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Kinsey Rieth
Kinsey Rieth rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Kim L
Kim L rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
J.A. Campbell
J.A. Campbell rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Iska
Iska rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2011
Ellise
Ellise rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Elizabeth Feira
Elizabeth Feira rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2011
Kim Vandervort began writing at the age of eleven as an outlet for her overactive imagination. Since then, she has written a variety of mostly-unpublished pieces that will never see the light of day. After attending Viable Paradise XI in 2007 her writing and marketing skills improved, enabling her to transition into publication. Her first short story, "The Librarian of Talimbourne," appeared in th ...more
More about Kim Vandervort...

The Song and the Sorceress (2 books)
  • The Song and the Sorceress