Start by marking “What Remains of Heaven” as Want to Read:
What Remains of Heaven

What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr #5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  4,645 Ratings  ·  306 Reviews
Sebastian St. Cyr's search for the killer of the controversial Bishop of London leads him from the back alleys of Smithfield to the power corridors of Whitehall to the well-guarded secrets of his own family's past.
Published August 2nd 2011 by NAL (first published October 14th 2009)

Stephanie
4+ stars! The 5th book of Sebastian St. Cyr historical mystery series is thrilling with some twists and turns!

I read What Remains of Heaven as a Buddy Read, but devoured it faster than intended. Seriously, once I started reading the story -- it was impossible to put it down. This series keeps getting better with great characters and an interesting 1810's England setting, combined with intriguing mystery.

The story starts when the Archbishop of Canterbury and Aunt Henrietta come to ask for Seba
Phrynne
May 02, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number five in the series and I have no trouble giving it a rating as a very easy five stars. Sebastian is just so likable and the development of Hero as a character so interesting that it is hard to stop at the end of each book and not binge read the whole series in one go! However I will restrain myself to my current reading of just one of these books a month and enjoy looking forward to the next one. I love the setting, the story, the characters and the different mystery to be solved in each ...more
Mary Beth
Aug 09, 2016 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the series and was so good. I read this as a buddy read with a GR friend. It was full of surprises. I just love this series. A great historical mystery series. The books just get better and better. If you like a historical mystery this series is for you. I really can't tell what its about because it would give a lot away. I don't want to give anything away. This one is the best in the series so far and the ending will blow you away.

Two bodies are found in a crypt, and S
Jonetta
When the Bishop of London is found dead in a recently opened crypt, Sebastian is asked by his aunt to investigate. What follows next is one whiplash twist after another.

This might be the most complicated political mystery in the series to date. There are lots of principals, most we've seen before. Just as I thought I was unraveling the mystery, a new wrinkle and revelation would appear. I didn't even come close to the right answers. I loved it!

The revelations weren't limited to the murder myster
Felicia
Nov 05, 2010 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I give this one less star that the others, not because the mystery wasn't great, it totally was, but UGH KAT JUST GO AWAY. Sebastian needs to GET OVER HER, so boring, she needs to die of consumption or something so he can move on. The whole twist with him NOT being her half-sibling was so soap opera-y, and there was NOT ENOUGH HERO. Serious, I can't wait for the next one because maybe indeed he'll get over the actress already. SHEESH.

Love this series. haha.
Veronica
Sep 19, 2013 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series has done several things right from the start. I admit to being no expert on 18th century London (or 18th century anywhere for that matter), but this series has always felt "right" to me in terms of bringing the time period to life, with all of its sights, sounds, and smells. Sometimes very vivid smells. *wink* That said, my investment in this series sky rocketed with the last book (book 4), Where Serpents Sleep, with the elevation of Hero Jarvis as a character to be reckoned with. No ...more
Lauren
What Remains of Heaven
4.5 Stars

When the body of a Bishop is discovered in an ancient crypt, the Archbishop of Canterbury seeks the help of Sebastian St. Cyr to solve the mystery of his death as well as that of the other, decades old corpse whose identity is unknown. As Sebastian gathers clues and suspects, he is also forced to confront the ghosts of his own past and stumbles across a devastating family secret.

While the mystery is well-crafted with smoothly interwoven historical detail and sever
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

Voy a intentar aclarar algo para no ser muy injusta con la historia. Esta serie va más de misterio que de otra cosa, pero hay una trama familiar y otra romántica que se mantienen desde el primer libro, y que para mi eterna desesperación, no llegan a su fin.
Así que primero decir que sí tuviese que puntuar el misterio, este sería de 4 estrellas. Pero como en este caso el misterio ha pasado a un sonoro segundo plano a favor de todo el melodrama family-román
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
This is one series I'll be sorry to come to the end of. I'm having an absolute blast with good ole St. Cry, Tom, Dr. Paul Gibson and even Hero. I'm starting to like her quite a bit. I have to admit being a bit disappointed in the possible love interest I was hoping would bloom in this book, but this book is not a romance; it is a murder mystery and on that score, it does not disappoint. I was kept wondering who and why? The series is kept alive with the magnificent narration on Ms. Davina Porter ...more
Caz
Oct 10, 2016 Caz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review to follow.
LJ
First Sentence: His breath coming in undignified gasps, the Reverend Malcolm Earnshaw abandoned the village high street and struck out through the lanky grass of the churchyard.

Families and their secrets take center stage. The bishop of London, leading candidate for archbishop of Canterbury, has been found dead in a recently opened crypt. The bishop is not the only murdered body. Along with him are the remains of a man who was stabbed in the 1700s. During his investigation, St. Cyr uncovers a co
Jody
Dec 30, 2009 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CS Harris presents the fifth installment of her moody, suspenseful Sebastian St. Cyr series. To solve his latest murder case, Sebastian must explore the decades old family secrets of the victim. In so doing, he confronts truths about his own life, while still fighting his feelings for the forbidden Kat. Hero Jarvis is also a major presence in this book, as she continues to alternately infuriate and assist Sebastian.
This action in this book did build slowly, despite two dead bodies discovered in
Kerry
Dec 26, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guilty pleasure. Unfortunately forgot it during recent travels but finished it as soon as home. Another wonderful and intricate historical mystery. At times it seems there are too many plots and revelations to keep straight. I found this one too complicated to listen to--had to get the book in order to keep all various plot points straight. While each book gives some background, this is a series best enjoyed in order. The characters are fun to follow, better than any soap with the benefit of lea ...more
Jess
Broken record, I know, but HERO JARVIS, LOVE OF MY LIFE.

Also, Devlin's aunt is my favorite.
1CheekyLass
The mystery was great. Hero is a bit too prickly for my liking. Missing Kat.
Barbara Rogers
Wonderful addition to a great series! This series has it all -- great mysteries and a wonderful romance. Who could ask for more.

I love the interaction between Hero and Sebastian and am anxious to see the relationship grow.

The mystery is interesting and the twists and turns are many.

Great read

Cornerofmadness
Dec 07, 2009 Cornerofmadness rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is one of the better historical mystery series I’ve read in ages. There are many Victorian mysteries but Harris carves out a time period about 50 years earlier and the early 1800’s in England is quite different than the Victorian era if for no other reasons they’re reeling from a loss in the Colonies and a mad King at the helm.

This is, I believe, book 5 in the series and the one that came just before this one probably should be read first but even without that, the subplots can be discerned
Jacqie
Sep 20, 2011 Jacqie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I wanted some light escapism. I've enjoyed other books by this author in the past, but I was glad to finish this one.

We have a bishop murdered in a crypt (crypts sound like about the most horrible places on earth) and a body 30 years dead found in the same crypt. Sebastian St. Cyr normally wouldn't involve himself in something so declasse, but his aunt asks him to, so he does her the favor.

I noticed that Sebastian's detective work mostly consists of going around asking people
Dawn
This is more of a 3.5 rather than a flat 3 star rating.

Set in Regency Era England, Sebastian St. Cyr (the Viscount Devlin) is a cross between Mr. Darcy and Sherlock Holmes with a little sprinkling of James Bond thrown in for good measure. In this installment of the C.S. Harris’ series Sebastian finds himself investigating two murders victims found in a recently opened crypt; the murder of the Bishop of England and a 30 year old unsolved murder. C.S. Harris’ strengths continue to be her ability t
Feb 19, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norma Huss
Oct 28, 2011 Norma Huss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I've found a new series to read--the Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries. This one is the fifth, so I have some serious (and delightful) reading ahead.

What Remains of Heaven was on the "new mystery" shelf. (I like to dip into something new every once in a while.) This book takes place in 1812 London with a seemingly ever-changing plot line that could only happen with the social and political realities of that time and place. Besides the intrigue of London and villiage life, the English view of
Starling
Jan 15, 2010 Starling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read. The entire series is quite remarkable. The body of man who has been missing for a generation is found in a crypt that has been boarded up for a generation, along with the body of his much younger brother who is the Bishop of London. In addition to the two murders, the book is filled with family mysteries involving the Ct.Cyr family, the family of the murdered man, and the Jarvis family.

One of the other reviewers objected to the fact that the end of this book sets up a majo
Jordan
Jan 31, 2014 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Julie
Apr 12, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sebastian is deep in another macabre murder mystery. Things gets murkier as more truths are revealed about what his father has been keeping from him for years. Surprisingly though, this book seemed a little flat, I was looking for more play between Hero and Sebastian and there was hardly any. Despite this, it was a good story and my heart goes out to him and the tangled feelings he has for Kat, his father and duty towards Hero. Looking forward to the next. Full review later.
Misti
May 30, 2009 Misti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was another great book in a great series. The personal revelations didn't surprise me because I had guessed but it was still great to have Sebastian finally know some of these things. The mystery was fun and exciting. I love Hero and can't wait to see where that whole thing goes. But mostly, I just hope that Sebastian finds a little peace and gets some kind of happily ever after by the time the series is over. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Logan
I love this series! Just when I thought Sebastian's life couldn't have any more twists and turns, this one comes along and ups the ante. I loved that we see some interesting anti-American sentiments in the British ton leading up to the War of 1812. Great mystery with the same great characters. I can't wait to read the next one.
Corrie McMurtry
As always a delight to read, even if it is about murder. i love the characters in this series and how they are always different, growing. They surprise you when you think you know what may happen, its never as clear. then the mystery itself, so many twists and turns you just don't see it coming.
Nancy
Oct 01, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series because it is well researched and it has interesting characters. The main characters, Sebastian and Hero, are very well developed as individuals and I also enjoy their relationship.
Jill Heather
I'd have really liked it if we didn't have the b-plot of "she was a virgin, they had sex just the once, baby!" going on. But the series is lots of fun.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 28 10 Sep 10, 2016 05:22AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 10 9 Sep 08, 2016 02:36AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 21 9 Sep 08, 2016 02:35AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question Q 15 8 Sep 07, 2016 12:06PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question R 14 8 Sep 07, 2016 11:52AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 12 9 Sep 07, 2016 11:33AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 4 8 Sep 07, 2016 11:27AM
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • A Death in Norfolk (Captain Lacey, #7)
  • A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • Vienna Waltz (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #4)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage, #2)
22067
Candice Proctor, aka C.S. Harris and C.S. Graham, is the bestselling, award-winning author of more than a dozen novels including the Sebastian St. Cyr Regency mystery series written under the name C.S. Harris, the new C.S. Graham thriller series co-written with Steven Harris, and seven historical romances. She is also the author of a nonfiction historical study of the French Revolution. Her books ...more
More about C.S. Harris...

Sebastian St. Cyr (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
  • What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8)
  • Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr #9)
  • Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)