Start by marking “Jump” as Want to Read:
Jump

Jump

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Told from the point of view of a woman who has just shot her grandmother, this harrowing tale challenges those brave enough to step inside her world to answer one burning question: What would you have done?
Published March 1st 2011 by Urban Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump

OOSA
Powerful, Gritty, Uncompromising Realism

In Terra Little's latest novel “Jump,” we’re introduced to Helena Hunter. In the opening of the book, Helena has just been released from prison after eight grueling years. In a matter of seconds Helena went from being a professional woman and doting mother with a bright future to an inmate who has lost everything. Prison life is a culture shock to say the least, and Helena has to do unthinkable things in order to survive. Helena finds herself largely cut o
Ms.Toni
Fractured

What kind of person kills their own grandma? Grandmothers are sweet old ladies that bake treats and spoil you, right? Well, Lena Hunter is that kind of person. After serving eight years for her ending her grandmother's life, Lena is free and forced to adjust to a new world. Gone is life as she once knew it. The label `convicted felon' outweighs her degrees. Her little girl is gone and in her place is a fourteen-year-old woman/child with seesawing emotions. She hates her mother. She love
Candace Cottrell
Terra Little has real talent. But that's not all. She also has a polished style and expert storytelling ability.
Vincent Davis
it was a great eye opener, wild and wonderful all in in one book .I love the learning progress , I was so touch by the grandmother, who was also abused by her child and she also let it go on?
B
i read this book last week while riding the train. it kept my attention and the reveal i did not see coming! great read!!
Delonya
Another 5 star read from author Terra Little!
Delonya
Just started today!
Authors & Readers Book Corner
Prison can change the most timid or ruthless person. However, being incarcerated whether male or female will bring out the survivor hidden inside. This is one of the few messages readers will receive from Jump by Terra Little. Helena Hunter is given eight years in prison for the killing of her grandmother. Helena’s family members overlook their involvement in the pain she feels and they are against her feelings of no remorse. Everything happens for a reason and Helena’s only regret has been leav ...more
Annelien Mes
Despite not being sure what to expect of this book, I had trouble putting it down at night.
It intrigued me from the first moment and the further I got in the book and the more I got to know about the main character, the more I WANTED to know!
Throughout the entire book I was hooked on the main character, I wanted to know everything there was to know about her, wanted to feel everything she felt and see everything she saw.
When she was angry, I was angry; when she was sad, so was I.

I loved the wa
Natasha
I don't think I was prepared for this book. It definitely made my skin crawl when the author wrote about the main character's prison experience and her childhood that ultimately set the stage for why she ended up in prison to begin with. I felt for the main character, she was done wrong on so many levels and she ended up doing wrong for a reason I couldn't blame her for. Something parents say they'll do for their children all the time. I enjoyed reading about her getting her life back after pris ...more
Brownsuga5
My first Terra Little book!!! Great read! Recommend this book to everyone. Crazy world we living in.
June
Jump was more than an entertaining for me, it was also very thought provoking...
Although this is a fictional tale I felt a certain measure of realism in the situation facing the victims/survivors in this story that had me really empathizing with them. It's unfortunate that this really happens to so many families and no one want to be to the one to "JUMP" in to put an end to it.
I had no problem following the flow or direction that the author set for her story.
I enjoyed reading a book worthy
Lynda
It's a decent book about an abused woman who is sentenced to prison for shooting her grandmother. We are privy to her post-prison adjustment and finding love. The book had a lot of blather though what with the main character constantly speaking in riddles in an attempt to appear mysterious. I could have also done without the love interest which added little to the story. However, I do recommend it for great scenes about prison life and because of the great suspense throughout the story as the re ...more
 Northern Light
i got this book from the goodreads giveaway and I'm glad I did. Not an author I've come across before but will look for again. This book challenges you to think what would you do if faced with such a moral dilemma. It makes you think about how people released from prison are faced with the prejudices of the world they have re-joined. I was however disappointed with the very predictable ending but other than that would highly recommend. Be prepared to have your views challenged.
Maranda
Awesome Book :-)
Jenny
After taking this book away for our summer vacation, I was so glad I did! Everything you want in a book - captivating characters, story that makes you think, and awesome writing style from the author.

Thanks to Goodreads, I was recieved this book through the first reads giveaways. I am thankful that I was given an opportunity to get this book in my hands, as I may not have had a chance to read otherwise.

You won't be disappointed!
Monique
My initial response is DAMN. I didn't see the ending coming. The characters are well developed and the storyline was tight. Little is on top of the game as a modern day renaissance writer. This is a must read and a positive edition to African American literature. What is your truth? What would you kill or die for? Sometimes life forces you to JUMP before thinking it all through...but are you ready for the consequences?
Claudia
Abuse is the reason the main character is locked up and soon gets out of prison. This book or should I say story is very twisted and frighten to the point that the character do recovers from the love and help of her daughter. It's a very intense read with passion of hope that sweeps the pages as you read. Some parts could have been flushed out some more, so I took the good with the bad and keep reading.
Jamie
Okay so I am not really the "reviewing" kind...I just like to read and keep it to myself :-)...but OMG I have to type up some props for this one! This book was awesome! I could not put it down! The plot was soooo interesting, captivating, and unique. It's the kind of book that makes you think about the characters long after you put the book down. I cried, I laughed, I smiled...I loved it!
Jessica Watkins
Omg! Read the last chapter in my car because I couldn't wait 'til I got home to finish this book! Aaron and Lucky were so romantic.

www.jessica-watkins.com
Diane
Fantastic! Terra Little has masterfully crafted a story that will captures from word one. Wonderful, layered story that will readers satisfied.
Brenda
All I can say is that Terra Little can tell a story. I had a huge "didn't see it coming moment."
Felisa
Excellent Read! Terra did an amazing job with holding your attention!
Alicia
This book was ALL over the place!!!!! Didn't like how it ended.
Hope
Excellent story! Do not miss this one.
Destiney Jones
This book was good.
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Shananate
Shananate marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Restricted
  • Thug In Me
  • Who Is He to You
  • Two Tears in a Bucket (The Kennards, #1)
  • A Wish and a Prayer: A Blessings Novel
  • Project Queen
  • Deceit and Devotion
  • What's His Is Mine
  • Love in a Carry-on Bag
  • Put a Ring on It
  • Never Make the Same Mistake Twice: Lessons on Love and Life Learned the Hard Way
  • I'm Still Standing: From Captive U.S. Soldier to Free Citizen--My Journey Home
  • A Family Affair
  • The Other Side of Divine
  • Deja 2: Unfinished Business
  • The Glamorous Life 2: All That Glitters Isn't Gold
  • The Strawberry Letter: Real Talk, Real Advice, Because Bitterness Isn't Sexy
  • Redemption Song
Terra Little debuted on the literary scene in 2008, with the national re-release of her self-published novel, Running from Mercy. Since then, she continues to do exactly what she set out to do - craft well-written stories that resonate with readers and provide the ultimate escape. Her work has been critically acclaimed by numerous literary venues, including The Romantic Times, Kirkus Reviews, The ...more
More about Terra Little...
Where There's Smoke Where There's Smoke 2 Running From Mercy Beneath Southern Skies Dear Jane...a Guided Journal for Today's Woman