Start by marking “Bongo Fishing” as Want to Read:
Bongo Fishing

Bongo Fishing

Jason has a pretty normal life: he lives with his mom, he goes to school, he does his homework. But when he meets a short, bluish alien named Sam, his life begins to seem much less normal and a lot more...well, alien. Sam takes Jason bongo fishing in space, and a whole new world opens up.

But when Jason's cat, Sputnik, disappears, things start to get a little weird. Interst
Published February 1st 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Bongo Fishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bongo Fishing

Aj Swaim
Sep 30, 2012 Aj Swaim rated it really liked it
Bongo fishing is a very interesting book. There are many different intruiging points that draw the reader's attention.

As in most science fiction novels, there is advance technology; however, in this book there are much more practical technologies than in other, more complicated science fiction books. The story follows the adventures of a boy named Jason who typically gets bored in school. One day as Jason was walking home from school, a space ship fell into an empty lot next to him. The man insi
Childrens Librarian
Apr 27, 2011 Childrens Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic
I thought it was great. Thacher Hurd has branched out from picture books and Bongo Fishing is a funny, exciting, entertaining children’s novel. It has a boy, Jason, who had a great adventure with a couple of aliens, Sam and Edna. The setting is Berkley, San Francisco, Nevada and outer space. Berkeley, California, middle-schooler Jason Jameson has a close encounter of the fun kind. The Dodge Dart is driven by a blue-skinned, small alien named Sam who owns an intergalactic garage and took the Dar ...more
Shaheer Khan
Nov 14, 2012 Shaheer Khan rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. I read it because it was recommended by a friend. I really like how they mixed different cars with science fiction. It had a lot of action but it was kind of confusing. I like this author. He mixes different things and makes a good book. He has interesting ideas about how he would think of alien life. Not green aliens with three eyes. He thinks of normal aliens that look just like humans but have a skin color with a shade of blue. He doesn't make futuristic space ships. ...more
Christian Goetz
Sep 14, 2012 Christian Goetz rated it it was amazing
I was reading this book, then I went to another book. This book is a good book; it's about a alien and a guy named Jason. Jason was walking home from school when he heard a loud music. Then a 1969 Dodge Dart came down the steet and fell into a lot. An alien popped out and said hi I'm Sam. So the next day, they go bongo fishing in the outerspace. When they get there, they feed the fish glazed dougnuts. Then all the fish jmp up in the air and dance. After they're done with that thy go home and eve ...more
Nancy
Jun 28, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-2013ms
This is a fun & quirky book by Thacher Hurd (wonderful picture book author/illustrator of Mama Don't Allow.) Hurd's illustrations add to the humor of the story. Some reviewers describe Bongo Fishing as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for middle school students. I have to say that I was first attracted to read the book by three things: 1) title 2)cover art and 3)author. A good one for our middle school boys.
J.k. Rollins
Oct 02, 2011 J.k. Rollins rated it it was amazing
I loved this book -- kind of like a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for kids! Hurd's humor is dead-on for the middle-grade reader. His quirky imagination spins a sweet story of how you can make family anywhere -- even out of space with aliens! For parents or teachers searching for a book to appeal to boys, this is it.
Suzanne
Jul 30, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This is a strange, fast boys would like it science fiction book about a boy who meets an alien named Sam on the way from from school. Sam takes Jason for a ride in his 1960 Dodge Dart space ship. Darts are the best ride according to Sam. Eventually, Sam intoduces Jason to his wife and the three end up having an adventure running from alien hunters. This is a fun, easy read.
Shanshad Whelan
Not working for me. May have something to do with the fact that where I'll put up with whimsical fantasy and even enjoy it to some degree, I have little patience for whimisical SF. I need my aliens to be . . . alien. Might appeal to someone else, but I'm just going to be annoyed if I continue.
Cathy
Apr 11, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Bongo Fishing is a delightful read - full of heart and adventure. The characters are well-drawn and it is pleasant to know that Mr. Hurd's writing skills are as honed as his drawing skills. This is Hitchhiker's Guide for the elementary school set only without the whole world blwong up part.
Julie
Mar 11, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This was the first science fiction book I have read. It was a good book. Fun to follow the plot, good character development and interesting story.
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Gaisce
Gaisce rated it did not like it
Oct 14, 2016
Owen
Owen rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Amanda Blanco
Amanda Blanco rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Nikeda
Nikeda rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2011
Aiden
Aiden rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2013
Tyvee
Tyvee rated it it was ok
May 24, 2014
Laurie Scott
Laurie Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Kim Kanofsky
Kim Kanofsky rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Tim
Tim rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2012
Kkeym
Kkeym rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Lakendra
Sep 23, 2013 Lakendra rated it it was amazing
It was cute in an E.T. sort of way.
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Muhammad
Muhammad rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2016
Christine Perry
Christine Perry rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Cristina Redmond
Cristina Redmond rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Molly
Aug 05, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it
Grade 3-5
Thacher grew up in a family of children's book artists, and after attending the California College of Arts and Crafts, he began to turn his talent to picture books. He is the award-winning author of Mama Don't Allow, Art Dog, and most recently Moo Cow Kaboom! He has also written two board books, Cat's Pajamas and Zoom City. Thacher and his wife, Olivia, live in Berkeley, California.

from Author Pag
More about Thacher Hurd...