Start by marking “Zen Culture” as Want to Read:
Zen Culture

Zen Culture

Published August 20th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Culture

Lysergius
Aug 22, 2011 Lysergius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who examines the Zen arts is immediately struck by how modern they seem. The ceramics of 16th-century Zen artists could be interchanged with the rugged pots of our own contemporary crafts movement; ancient calligraphies suggest the monochromes of Franz Kline or Willem de Kooning; the apparent nonsense and illogic of Zen parables (and No theater and Haiku poetry) established the limitations of language long before the theater of the absurd; 400-year-old Zen architecture seems to be a copy ...more
Mad Giles (Giles A. Madding)
A comprehensive and accessible read on what I find to be a thoroughly intriguing subject. This book examines the way that Zen found a fertile home in the mind and hearts of the Japanese people. And how those very same people helped to bring new form and thought to the religion itself.

I found it to be a fascinating read, which was hard to pull away from until the very last page. The chapter on the tea ceremony was a personal favorite.

Though no one book could truly cover every facet of this subjec
Mazen Alloujami
Nov 06, 2012 Mazen Alloujami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book about the influence of Zen on Japanese art and culture, giving also a good idea about Buddhism zen in general.
I recommend it especially for those interested in art, architecture and zen.
Al Bità
Apr 22, 2015 Al Bità rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect book for anyone interested in the history and influence of Zen Culture. On page vii Hoover introduces his work with a quotation from Sohaku Ogata’s “Zen for the West” which explains: “Throughout the entire Far East of China, Korea, and Japan, we see the system of a unique culture which originated in the sixth century, reached its meridian in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and began to decline in the seventeenth century, but which is still kept up in Japan even in this ...more
Barbara
I did not go out of my way to find this book, I was just flicking through my kindle store looking for something different to read and I saw this I was intrigued so I downloaded it not really knowing what to expect, unsure if I was going to enjoy it. Sometimes we just have to pick up a book that we wouldn't normally look at and it turns out that I enjoyed it.
Quicksilver Quill
Jun 09, 2015 Quicksilver Quill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a great little book about zen--where it came from, how it evolved, who the major players were, etc. . . . seasoned generously with poems, photos, and paintings throughout. For a novice like myself, I came away from Mr. Hoover's work with a greater understanding and appreciation of zen culture. Highly recommended for anyone interested in learning more about zen.
Duncan
Sep 22, 2013 Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating introduction to how Zen ideas influenced Japanese culture over the centuries. The book is accessible, broad in scope, and demonstrates genuine respect and understanding of the topics being discussed. Having lived in Japan and been fascinated by aspects of the culture like ceramics and the tea ceremony for a number of years, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Mark
Nov 27, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it's a good overview of the philosophy of zen and its impact on various art forms including pottery, gardening, plus archery, etc.
Sanntint
Jul 14, 2013 Sanntint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS A VERY INFORMATIVE AND SKILLFUL WRITTEN BOOKS ABOUT ZEN CULTURE AND AFTER READING IT , I FEEL MORE INFORMED ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN JAPANESE AND THEIR CULTURE !
Shmendrick
An intriguing and comprehensive introduction to how the Zen philosophy has influenced and shaped Japanese culture through exploring different aspects of the culture.
Emma Dupont
Thomas Hoover takes a comprehensive look at how Zen philosophy has created the modern Japan we see today. Not a bad book, but at times rather dull.
John Beeching
John Beeching rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2013
Nayanika Bhatia
Nayanika Bhatia rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
David L Arbogast
David L Arbogast rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Stephine Yoshikawa
Stephine Yoshikawa rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Tessie
Tessie rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Louis C. CAshiola
Louis C. CAshiola rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Silviu
Silviu rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
Marcos Caraballo
Marcos Caraballo rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2017
Buttfranklin
Buttfranklin rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
David Marande
David Marande rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2015
Josh N.
Josh N. rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
Martin Eden
Martin Eden rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Duncan Pham
Duncan Pham rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Amanda Pauls
Amanda Pauls rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Martin O'flaherty
Martin O'flaherty rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Justine Monikue
Justine Monikue rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Art of Zen Meditation
  • The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-Chi: A Translation of the Lin-Chi Lu
  • Zen - The Religion of the Samurai
  • Relax, You're Going to Die
  • Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - (Volume 3 Prayers for Daily Practice)
  • City of Dust: Illness, Arrogance, and 9/11
  • Why?: Making Sense Of God's Will
  • Essays in Zen Buddhism
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • Zen Is Right Here: Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki, Author of "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind"
  • B2B Brand Management
  • The Faith of a Heretic
  • Shrimp: The Endless Quest for Pink Gold
Thomas Hoover has a doctorate in oceanography and served as senior vice president of an architect-engineering firm in New York, where he has lived for several decades. His vices include being an avid sailor and a recognized collector of the classical music of India. He began his writing career with two classic non-fiction books on Far Eastern art and religion and then moved into fiction writing wi ...more
More about Thomas Hoover...

“revised them to suit Zen purposes.” 0 likes
“According to Ch'an (and Zen), understanding comes only by ignoring the intellect and heeding the instincts, the intuition.” 0 likes