This Shared Dream

This Shared Dream (Dance Family #2)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Kathleen Ann Goonan introduced Sam Dance and his wife, Bette, and their quest to alter our present reality for the better in her novel In War Times (winner of the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Novel and ALA’s Best Science Fiction Novel of 2008). Now, in This Shared Dream, she tells the story of the next generation.

The three Dance kids, seemingly abandoned by bot...more
Published July 19th 2011 by Tor Books (first published July 15th 2011)

Mitchell
Book 2 of a 2 book series. And wow. What a bizarre ride. A fairly non-linear romp through making the world better through physics cosmic unconscious consensus. And jazz and stuff. And as crazy as this sounds, an absolutely rollicking plot spinning out of control the whole way through. I have almost no idea what I just read but it was really cool.
Vanessa
Siblings Jill, Megan, and Brian were orphaned while in their youth—but now as adults they still don't know what really happened, since their parents simply disappeared. It turns out that their parents had something to do with the development of Q, a sort of world network of education and communication, and its later incarnation: the Device, the machine that will change the world.

But someone wants the Device for their own use, and Jill and her family are in danger.

THIS SHARED DREAM by Kathleen An...more
M Tat
Total surprise find.

Goonan introduces some plausible and entrancing ideas on intersections that many may not have thought about. For the most part, it's almost like reading a prose presentation of theoretical ideas from a capable mind. I say, for the most part, because it seems as though Goonan doesn't _really_ know how to wrap up here story. Towards the end there are some nigh-farcical, 'suspend your disbelief here or go no further' plot resolutions that weaken the reader's interest in 'listeni...more
Ray Duncan
Much better than "In War Times." Unfortunately, reading In War Times first is pretty much vital to making sense of this book.
Rachel
Jan 26, 2012 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
As far as I'm concerned, Kathleen Ann Goonan can do no wrong. Every page is rich with ideas, plot twists, and engaging characters. This book is a sequel to In War Times, which should be read first. I love that she uses parts of her father's war diary in the war diary of Sam, her father's contemporary.
Jim
Goonan is good at writing characters, and she has a lot of them in "This shared dream"--maybe too many. Or maybe one should read "In war times" before tackling "This shared dream." Also, her ideas are intriguing and persuasive. Still, I feel she bit off more than she could chew.
Rachael Kulokas
This series of books was wonderful; It felt like reading and listening to music at the same time. No author like her; She has a unique flavor and very interesting ideas. Loved it and it still lingers on like a beautiful old melody you can't forget and wouldn't want to anyway.
night music -- bring on the clowns ♫
Front cover blurb: "A tough-minded, kind-hearted, fiercely intelligent novel." -- Ursula K. Le Guin

Back cover blurb: "... As elegant and complicated as the ever-changing timestreams that wind through it. ..." -- Connie Willis

Sharon
I so wanted to like this book, after all I love contemporary sci fi. I stayed with it for close to 200 pages but it still felt like I was slogging through character introduction and background and that the story line just never got going.
Mark R.
Liked it, but not as much as its predecessor. It's a bit too techno-utopian (is that a word?) for me.
Steve
Worthy sequel to In war Times
Jessee
Jessee marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Fullcycle
Fullcycle marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Molly Kellie
Molly Kellie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Chuck Given
Chuck Given marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Lachlan Hardy
Lachlan Hardy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Athanasios Kormazos
Athanasios Kormazos marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Marcie Henry
Marcie Henry marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1) In War Times Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3) Mississippi Blues (Nanotech, #2) Light Music (Nanotech, #4)