Start by marking “Family Secrets” as Want to Read:
Family Secrets

Family Secrets

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
After their father's death, sisters Vanessa, Ellie, and Georgiana are stunned to learn a well-kept family secret. A yellowed letter tucked away in a family Bible reveals that the woman who gave birth to their late father had not died when he was born, as they had always believed. Their paternal grandmother gave up her son shortly after his birth, leaving this note with ins ...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Family Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Secrets

Dale Harcombe
Oct 20, 2014 Dale Harcombe rated it did not like it
One and a half stars. The premise of this book about three Sister Vanessa, Ellie and Georgiana who discover a yellowed letter in the family bible sounded interesting. I’m sucker for stories about secrets and love a good mystery. Where was their paternal grandmother who they didn’t know existed till this letter was found? What made her give her baby son away? Who is Hattie? Is she still alive? The three sisters are determined to find out and I we happy to go along with them on the journey.
The fi
Grace S.
Dec 29, 2015 Grace S. rated it it was ok
Shelves: clubbin-with-mom
This book followed a strange progression down into the two-star quagmire.

Step one: Lots of background info on characters, lots of backstories highlighting unfulfilled moderately wealthy white women. Unhappy marriage, career versus settling down, finding love after death of first hubby, etc. etc. Vaguely disconnected, not much sense of a real plot, not much driving the book forward.

Step two: Introduce flashback storyline. Things get quite interesting, if also a little bizarrely written. The Hatt
Eva Ruff
Nov 02, 2015 Eva Ruff rated it liked it
Family Secrets is a nice story and the characters are not flat personifications but the whole book was just a little "thin." Don't ask any questions and just keep reading. It wasn't unenjoyable and I was drawn into the story but it just didn't sit right. You know when you fall asleep while watching a movie and doze for a short time, you know you missed parts of the plot but it still kind of makes sense so there was really no harm done? That's Family Secrets.

I'm going to look up a few of Wall's
Devi Barcena
Aug 15, 2014 Devi Barcena rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
The premise of this book is exciting: searching for a blood relative, particularly their grandmother, after years of believing her dead. Will it be a happy or a sad reunion? But after reading, I was flabbergasted. The promising eventually ended into a huge mess of loose ends.

(spoilers alert at this point...)

The story of the sister's search was dramatic. The story of Hattie's past (the long lost grandmother) was thrilling. Her attempt to silence her granddaughters was sinister. I told you, this b
Michele
Feb 07, 2008 Michele rated it did not like it
I can't believe this book got such good reviews on Amazon. It starts out all right, good plot premise. The main characters are likable & engaging. This is all well & good till the last chapters where it degenerates into total nonsense. Okay, with suspension of belief the reader can just barely accept the scene with the three sisters & their real biological grandmother. But A: she tells them her entire life history except one crucial point which would make all subsequent action possib ...more
Barbara
Aug 14, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it
Quick summer read. Reasonably well written and plotted although the author's romance novelist roots show through sometimes.
Yossie
Jun 06, 2011 Yossie rated it liked it
An interesting novel exploring ideas of love and mystery. Picking up on love, Family Secrets explores love in many ways than one. Like talking about love but synonymous with endurance, strength and pain. The three sisters manage to stick together, whatever the weather. It gives you something to think about. Although the story of Myrna/Hattie was quite far-fetched, it allows you think about things in a wider sense. It vividly reflects how secretive people can be of a "past" and also the depth of ...more
Chiara
Jun 28, 2010 Chiara rated it liked it
Really wish we could rate with half stars because this would definately have been 3.5 stars. Really enjoyed the writing style and the story of sisterhood, even though at points Vanessa really got my nerves and a mystery thrown in.

I was disappointed though with the ending. Would of known if a bond was formed with Myrna's family and Matthew Wade's and more of the love that became Ellie and the surgeon instead of it tied up in a bow; also what really becomes of Vanessa does she write book.

I will sa
Kimble
Feb 07, 2012 Kimble rated it liked it
I found this book to be a fast fun read. Sometimes it's nice to read a book that the story goes in the direction of dicovering the outcomes without having you wait several chapters to find out what happened. I liked all of the female characters, found their relationships with each other convincing. Hattie's character had experienced a lot of cruelty and hardships, she didn't make the best choices, she's the one I think about.
Amy Wikert
Aug 30, 2014 Amy Wikert rated it it was ok
I struggled to get through this book. It was a little slow in the beginning. And the last quarter of it was too far fetched and choppy. Overall I am disappointed.
Catherine
Mar 04, 2009 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
Groovy Deb♥
Jul 28, 2011 Groovy Deb♥ rated it really liked it
I really liked this story with a family history feel and surprising ending. Like so many books I have read lately the use of the Lord's name in vane was added to make the reader feel a "punch" and I found it unnecessary to the story and aggravating. Other than th
at I really did like the story.
Amy Wallace
Dec 23, 2014 Amy Wallace rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Literally couldn't put it down until the end and longed for continuation. So glad I took the time to finished and check off the list! Such a good and smooth read.
Jan
Feb 06, 2010 Jan rated it it was ok
A so-so book that initially began with a good plot and it goes downhill from there; no witty dialogue, jovial comments, not a one. The only redeeming part was picturing Cloris Leachman as the diabolical "found" grandmother.
Mandy
Oct 04, 2007 Mandy rated it it was ok
Wish you could do half stars b/c this was a 2.5. I didn't dislike it but didn't love it. It had great potential but sort of rushed through the end. Quick read.
Jackie
Sep 12, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
Good book. It was pretty intense near the end I wasn't sure how they were going to finish it in the pages left but they did and in a great way :-)
Dpande
Sep 19, 2009 Dpande rated it it was ok
3 sisters hunt for grandmother that gave father away at birth and discover mare than they wanted
Melissa
Mar 10, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Fairly boring, I couldn't really remember anything about it right after I finished.
Jessica
Mar 30, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Enjoyed this book. The first I've read by Wall; I will seek out more of her work.
Shauna
Nov 04, 2009 Shauna rated it liked it
It was good. I liked the plot, although some of it seemed far-fetched.
Sandy Neal
Mar 12, 2011 Sandy Neal rated it really liked it
Loved it! Kept my interest. Ordered some of her other books.
Corey
Oct 06, 2013 Corey rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Great writing and turned kinda creepy!
Dee
Oct 20, 2010 Dee rated it liked it
Don't try to hide your bad past!!
Berit
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Barbara Shaw
Barbara Shaw marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Charlyn-Mike
Charlyn-Mike is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2016
  • Chasing Jenna
  • Train From Marietta
  • The Fire Line: The Story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots and One of the Deadliest Days in American Firefighting
  • Spy Cat
  • Crimson Eve (Kanner Lake Series #3)
  • Beach Plum Island
  • Hidden Agenda (Southern Crimes, #3)
  • Shaker: A novel
  • The Long Way Home (A Secret Refuge, #3)
  • Devils in Exile
  • Nachtstürm Castle: A Gothic Austen Novel
  • A Cold War
  • What Would Barbra Do?: How Musicals Changed My Life
  • Murder at Wrightsville Beach (Magnolia Mysteries, #4)
  • Wake Up to a Happier Life: Finding Joy in the Work You Do Every Day