Start by marking “The Lazarus Vault” as Want to Read:
The Lazarus Vault

The Lazarus Vault

800 years ago, one man wrote the legend that became the greatest quest in history...

Deep in the heart of London, the Monsalvat Bank is small, secretive and fabulously wealthy, with roots going far back into the middle ages. When Ellie Stanton, an impoverished graduate student, is unexpectedly invited to join the firm, the privileged world they offer looks too good to turn
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazarus Vault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazarus Vault

Vicky Ziliaskopoulou
Όχι, δεν μου άρεσε. Κατηγορηματικά. Θα μπορούσε να ήταν καλό, αλλά:
- Είχε στο πρώτο μέρος πολλές περιγραφές για οικονομικά: η πρωταγωνίστρια προσλαμβάνεται σε τράπεζα και μας περιγράφει με πολλές λεπτομέρειες τη δουλειά της.
- Το τράβηξε πολύ στο τέλος, νομίζω θα μπορούσε να κόψει τουλάχιστον 50 σελίδες
- Σε όλο το βιβλίο είχα πρόβλημα με τις περιγραφές χώρων. Όσες φορές και να διάβαζα ξανά και ξανά (και ξανά και ξανά) τις ίδιες (λίγες) προτάσεις στις οποίες περιγραφόταν ο χώρος, δεν κατάφερα να
Aug 28, 2012 Ésa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather difficult to say whether I enjoyed the book or not. Whilst I was really hooked onto it, I found the book never really explained the justification for the drive towards the main subject of the book, until at the end, a sort of deviation that this a quest that maybe leads us to this important object of power.
Also, there wasn't so much narrative, apart from the two meetings between Ellie and Harry, to really explain why Ellie would suddenly risk her life to break into the vault. A little mor
Oct 28, 2010 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
The Lazarus Vault by Tom Harper, current chair of the CWA (Crime Writer’s Association), is a wonderful adventure spanning eight centuries beginning in early 12th century England.

I have to admit I was captivated by the jacket cover, a vibrant yellow/cream design with a dynamic golden key invoking bountiful treasures held within the pages of Harper’s novel. In an era where book jackets and videos are having a greater impact on book sales, an alluring first impression is vital, certainly for the au
This book has two parallel story lines in alternating chapters: one in the current time and one taking place in the 12th century (or whatever century, all the same ancient). I find the ancient story really boring and unnecessary. I did find it difficult to follow, but maybe it's because I wasn't interested in that part of the book in the first place. The current time story is interesting and enjoyable, though I can't say I was hooked to it. I was motivated to finish this book so I could see why ...more
Jun 04, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing book, which I thought was well written, and clearly well researched too. This is not a genre of book that I would normally pick up from the library shelf, so I was very pleased to be so well entertained.
I usually have problems with books that flip between different time scales - as this one does. However there is a definite pattern - every chapter the time swaps between the present and the 12th century and so no problem.
I'm sure other reviewers will give a synopsis of the book, but
Erika Schmid
The premise for this story was intriguing, however, the novel as a whole feel flat. It had a great deal of potential to be more than just an average thriller set between two times in history on the quest to unravel the mystery. Unfortunately this novel is just that, another lack later grail quest story that left me feeling disconnected with the characters and confused with a great deal of the action involved. It simply went through the stereotypical motions of such a story and did not have enoug ...more
Michael MacConnell
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those reviewers who chose to award this book one star - I think perhaps their expectations were rather inflated.

This was a solid effort from Harper, the plot flows neatly for the majority of the book and the dual storyline, though complex, adds a nice sense of history to the story. Clearly, Harper knows his history, especially in regard to Chrétien de Troyes, and the mythology he weaves is solidly grounded.

I only really took issue with the main character, wh
I didn't like how the historical time period is written in present tense. I thought it was odd how, just like in "Book of Secrets" by the same author, the historical time period was written in first person while the modern time setting was in third person. But it works and it helps distinguish one setting from another. But I felt like the present tense was overdoing it, I'm not a fan of that at all.

However, I otherwise felt this book was amazingly well written. Many books in this genre are simi
Jun 07, 2013 Celeste rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of Steve Berry or James Rollins or even Dan Brown this book my look like a good bet. My advise is do not pick it up. Tom Harper fell short in many ways: His "smart" protagonist is so stupid when it comes to men it makes you want to throw up. Many points in his plot line I figured out very on in the book. And his current story just didn't flow well.

Now for the reason the story got two stars instead of one. The author writes a great back story. This is the sort of thing he should
Miroslav Houska
I like the blending of historical and present stories, especially for carving contrasts and similarities for ages divided by more than 8 centuries. Contrast is underlined by different narrative form: 1st person for historical story and 3rd person for preset one. At the final part of the book the story is full of improbable events and awkward turnarounds. However, the ends of both stories are nicely done. Some technology mistakes can be found as well - especially ignoring today's technical limita ...more
Hadi Taki
The climax was good, especially how the how the connection between the two stories begin to surface. But after finishing it, I was kind of disappointed with the ending. I felt it was dull and underachieving compared to the build up in the last 10 chapters or so.

All in all, good story.
David Schwan
A mostly engaging story yet like eating too much candy not very satisfying. A mysterious bank in London hires the main character Ellie. They offer her a lot of money to come there even though she is basically a humanities scholar. She works on some business deals for the bank and then we get to the mysterious part of the story.

The good guys while part of the story seem to distant and removed from the story to have the impact they should have had. While the ending ties up the story line--overall
Oct 04, 2016 Agnes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A promising beginning full of intrigue and good action throughout. I found the ending a bit disappointing but not so much as not to recommend the book to my friends.
Oct 01, 2012 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just picked this book up randomly at the library, and I'm glad I did. The Lazarus Vault was a solid story and a really fun read. The story follows a grad student who suddenly gets thrown into the world of the extremely rich and powerful and uncovers a secret that could destroy it all. It simultaneously follows the story of a man as he grows up in the twelfth century who also gets drawn into the same secret. This book win the dubious honor of being one of the only books I've liked where I haven ...more
This engaging thriller mystery uses two timelines to unravel an 800 year old mystery. The current timeline involves a shady banking concern in London who hires our heroin to conduct it's mergers and acquisitions business. Their real agenda is revealed as the book progresses. The other timeline is in the 1100's. The main character here is a knight who fights for survival in a brutal and savage world dominated by wealthy, powerful, and unscrupulous characters. Lot's of similarities and shared moti ...more
Radhakrishnan Geetha
Brilliantly written. Couldn't put down the book. The title is not what it seems. Lazarus is not the biblical Lazarus. The story interlinks the past and the present. The search for the Holy Grail is interlinked with the poems of Chrétien de Troyes in both the past and present stories. But was somewhat disappointed with the way the story ends. But got to say the story is a absolute treasure. I haven't felt like this a long time. Thank you Tom Harper for giving me the pleasure of a good story.
Nov 01, 2012 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book to be enjoyable, with a pace and suspense that made me want to continue reading. Having some familiarity with the Arthurian legends was a big help while reading the book, there are numerous references and parallels. I'd re-read Mallory's "Le Morte D'Arthur" recently, and was glad I had, but I'm sure it's not required to enjoy the book.

The ending took a bit to sink in, but one of the main characters eventually becomes a storyteller/author, and it was worthwhile to note that chara
Liva Celmina
Jan 11, 2016 Liva Celmina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realistic
The start was promissing, while at the end the only part that made me wanna hold the book and read it till the end,ironically,was the historical part of it. Somehow i felt more pulled to the historical side to everything that happened in the book opposed to the new age way of dealing with stuff. The thing that ticked me off tho,was that the female MC was supposed to be smart, but to think she might do some of the stuff she did,made me facepalm quite a bit, on the other hand she was tired and ove ...more
True confession - I bought this audiobook totally by accident. Was meaning to buy another book with "Lazarus" in the name and clicked the wrong button. That said, it's a fun read, a la Da Vinci Code. It alternates the story of an 11th century knight and a modern quest for the Ultimate Object, with all the requisite good guys, bad guys and beautiful, smart, yet imperfect young heroine. Good reader. A plot full of holes and ultimately unresolved issues, yet . . . a very fun diversion along the way ...more
Jun 28, 2015 Bren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The back and forth between current and ancient times was distracting. The protagonist was a dingbat and the storyline poorly described.
I'd really give it 3.5 stars, maybe I should have given it 4. It wasn't quite the page-turner that I love, but it did keep me wanting to find out what happened next. One thing about the book about which I am ambivalent--there are quite a few "unanswered" threads within the plot--I want to know the answers and yet leaving them unanswered adds a bit to the allure of the story, since it is based on a widely held belief and beloved "myth" through the ages up to present day.
Aug 29, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I found this a good enough light read, well paced and not completely implausible (although you do have to ignore the lead character making some major choices without very clear or plausible motivation). The historic storyline dragged in the first half; there simply wasn't enough plot to justify the word count. The London setting is well drawn without getting overblown. Don't expect too much and you may well enjoy it.
Sep 19, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not quite sure. This book started as very exciting, and I get the irony in the end, I just feel it lost something as the chase began. Here I was thinking there was a familiar link between the two stories, but then I dont think there was. Also, I dont know if I read over parts of the stories, but bits seemed to happen without me knowing... Still a good read if you like a bit of Da Vinci style escapism!
Feb 16, 2016 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by a friend and, from a "look inside" far from unbearable. Had it finished on page 200 it would have been okay, but by page 300 I'd had enough. A looping story, round and round, blokey and cliched sex, gadgets and car chases. Pity, but ...
Nicolene Smith
Dec 25, 2013 Nicolene Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had an extremely vivid flashback of The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, just with less symbolism. Yes, the Holy Grail will fascinate people until the day they die, but it is not asking too much of authors to be original in their works. This will probably result in me not reading any other books of mr. Harper. Ever.
Maureen Rae
This book had a really cool premise that never really went anywhere. I loved the dual storylines but it was incredibly anticlimactic when they came together. Nothing was fully explained in the end except to say that there is no explanation and that the mystery continues. I had high hopes at the beginning but by 1/3 of the way in, I had to force myself to finish.
Annette Gisby
Really well written, fast paced and with characters you care about. Part set in the present, part set in the past, each bit complements the other. I loved Ellie, it was so unusual to find a female lead in this time of book, but this is Ellie's story, she's not here as a love interest or anything like that. I want to read more of this author's books.
Oct 03, 2011 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-books
It was pretty good - Harper's pacing is impecable and he sure knows how to raise the stakes for his characters and keep the reader turning the pages. However, the secret turned out to be the usual thing, so I was disappointed in that, having hoped for something new and different. Even so, a great read, with an interesting twist on a very old idea.
Dec 31, 2011 Ricardo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the worst books I've read in a long time. Short on plot and credibility, the book leaves the reader wondering what happened between Point A and Point B. It's obvious that the author likes the subject matter and probably knows a great deal about it, but that doesn't stop the book from making little sense at times or flow better
Annie Falconer-Gronow
Another audio book to while away the lonely hours sewing - but what a find! I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's got a female/male lead-very different and refreshing. Slightly questing/action heroine/meeting of past and present. Jolly good fun, not masses of swearing or sex, not overly clever, neither dumbing down. Would recommend as an audio .
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • Kingdom
  • The Sacred Blood
  • The Moses Legacy
  • The Babylon Rite
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • Newton's Fire
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
  • Sphinx
  • The Doomsday Testament (Jamie Saintclaire, #1)
  • The Last Ember
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
Tom Harper was born in West Germany in 1977 and grew up in Germany, Belgium and America; he now lives in England. He is chair of the Crime Writers' Association and also a member of the Historical Novels Society and the Society of Authors.

Tom Harper also writes historical adventures as Edwin Thomas.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thre
More about Tom Harper...