Start by marking “Number One Kid” as Want to Read:
Number One Kid

Number One Kid (Zigzag Kids #1)

The author of the beloved Kids of the Polk Street School series introduces a new generation of readers to a multicultural group of kids who enjoy all the activities of an after-school center.

I'M #1!That’s what Mitchell McCabe’s favorite T-shirt says. He'd like to be Number One at the Zigzag Afternoon Center, where there are lots of fun activities to choose from: swimming,
Published August 10th 2010 by Yearling (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Number One Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Number One Kid

Nov 17, 2015 Rossy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I didn't like it very much. Too many characters and I couldn't connect to them, but the message of the book was great, everyone is good at something, you just have to keep trying and find out what it is!
Jan 09, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Number One Kid is the first book in Patricia Reilly Giff's Zigzag Kids series. The books are loosely connected, I believe, by the fact that all the main characters attend the same school, Zelda A. Zigzag elementary school. But the books do not share main characters. This first book is narrated by Mitchell McCabe. Mitchell, for better or worse, tends to think of himself as a loser. He doesn't see himself at being particularly "good" at any one thing. Will participating in the after-school program ...more
Oct 12, 2015 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Just like its name, this book was all over the place. I felt it lacked a cohesive story and compelling characters. Appleville Elementary is for this same demographic and, in my opinion, better written.
Ashley Allen
This is a great book to give to students who are transitioning between a picture book and a chapter book. This book shows how students work towards an award and how great they feel when they get to my award. I can use this to help shape my behavior management plan in my classroom.
The chapter book “Number One Kid” addresses one of kids’ biggest fears: measuring up to their peers. Mitchell McCabe is a little unsure of himself and how he fits in at the Zelda A. Zigzag elementary school. Mitchell and his sister, Angel, recently moved to the area, and now Mitchell thinks he is no good at anything. On top of that, his teacher, Ms. Katz, announces a contest which will soon award prizes to students to recognize their talents. Mitchell attends the “Afternoon Center”, the aftersch ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I think this is a the start to a delightful series that both kids and those reading these books to them will enjoy. Patricia Reilly Giff introduces a group of lovable characters, with whom young kids will easily relate to. I think she has done a fabulous job at capturing the emotions kids go through from worries and excitements of meeting new friends, going to a new school, being with a group of kids they may not know, attending after school care and discovering the world around them.

The Zigzag
Heather Lynn
Mar 23, 2015 Heather Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's such a cute book. It goes through what a child would go through entering a new school and whether or not they will fit in with the others. Reading it from this perspective really brought back memories
My preschooler really liked it -- he found many things funny that I was kind of confused good job getting to the target audience! :)
3 1/2 stars. First book in a new series.
This is a really cute book. Mitchell is at a new school. He doesn't know anybody, and he doesn't want to go to the Afternoon Center. But his older sister hears about the permission slip and signs him up for everything. He does make one friend, so maybe it won't be all bad, but then Mitchell finds out that they're giving out prizes at the end of the week. How will he get a prize if he's not good at anything?

This book is simply laid out, a fun read, and has a good message.
Ugh. This was pretty bad. The sentences were really choppy, even for a first chapter book. The text kept jumping from one idea to another without any transitions, and it kept referencing past (non-funny) events in an effort to make (non-funny) jokes. I had trouble keeping tabs on the huge cast of characters, and following the story was super hard because I just didn't care. I won't be recommending this series to anybody.
Mar 02, 2011 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mitchell and his kindergarten aged sister Angel have moved to a new neighborhood and a new school. What if the other kids think Mitchell's a loser? Where did the mask he borrowed disappear to? And what is the school's Afternoon Center and why would he want to go there? Told in first person, Mitchell has the angst and the observations typical of an early elementary school student.

2nd grade reader.
This delightful new series is sure to be a favorite for those just beginning to rad chapter books. They are full of fun, surprises, excitement and lots of after-school fun.

This brand new series about a group of quirky, lovable kids is sure to win a lot of fans. New friends and after-school excitement abound in all the books. This is the first book in the series.
Multicultural Characters. Mitchell moves to Zigzag School and is afraid he is terrible at everything. Each character shows that they are individually successful at different activities from swimming to art to WRITING! Mitchell wins the writing prize for his journaling.

Fast moving plot. Sometimes hard to follow. But lots of words that are easily decode-able.
Oct 15, 2010 B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader-boy
This is a new series for Patricia Giff, (Zigzag Kids), which like her Polk Street School is for younger readers. I liked Polk Street better. I don't remember the sentences being quite so short! But I do like that it takes place in the now, (Polk Street goes back to 90's), and also the cultural diversity of the children. Plus a kid recommended it to me!
Karen Arendt
A good series for character education read alouds in the classroom. Mitchell wants to be a number one kid, but his sister Angel tells him he's number 87. As a new kid in school, he doesn't feel like he fits in, until he wins an award in the Afternoon Center, which is an after school club/acitivty hour.
Liz Wilson
May 01, 2011 Liz Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main idea of the story is good, but none of the events/concepts are elaborated on. The story jumps from one event to another and is hard to follow. I am not ready to give up on the series yet. I'll read book #2 next before deciding how to use the book in my classroom.
Dec 28, 2010 Amalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-fiction
I like Patricia Reilly Giff, but found this narrative to be choppy. In this first of the "Zigzag Kids" series, there are many short sentences and brief dialogue which do not add to the flow of the story. This one does not encourage me to read further in this series.
Elissa Schaeffer
As others have said, it seemed a bit choppy as it jumped around, making following Mitchell's activities and his train of thought somewhat hard to follow. I'll see how things are in the second book, but for now, this was just OK.
A new series that taps into realistic situations kids deal with everyday. Appreciated the use of multicultural characters.
Aug 18, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2ND/3RD GRADE - First in a new series call Zigzag Kids by Giff. cute story about a group of kids at an afterschool center.
Jill Kahan
Jul 15, 2012 Jill Kahan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Takes place in community center after school, learning relationship skills with various characters. Slow read.
Apr 30, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
An okay book for kids. Would be good for those who are struggling with reading or barely learning.
Jun 08, 2011 Taja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A good book for a young reader.
Sep 05, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
Mercy marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Pamela added it
Aug 05, 2016
Melissa Vaughn
Melissa Vaughn marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
PATRICIA REILLY GIFF is the author of many beloved books for children, including the Kids of the Polk Street School books, the Friends and Amigos books, and the Polka Dot Private Eye books. Several of her novels for older readers have been chosen as ALA-ALSC Notable Books and ALA-YALSA Best Books for Young Adults. They include The Gift of the Pirate Queen; All the Way Home; Water Street; Nory Ryan ...more
More about Patricia Reilly Giff...

Zigzag Kids (7 books)
  • Big Whopper
  • Flying Feet
  • Star Time
  • Bears Beware (Afterschool)
  • Super Surprise