Start by marking “Mindful Movements: Ten Exercises for Well-Being” as Want to Read:
Mindful Movements: Ten Exercises for Well-Being

Mindful Movements: Ten Exercises for Well-Being

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Not only is Doctor Who the longest-running science fiction television show in history, but it has also been translated into numerous languages, broadcast around the world, and referred to as the "way of the future" by some British political leaders. The old (or Classic) Doctor Who series built up a loyal American cult following, with regular conventions and other activitie ...more
Published July 28th 2008 by Parallax Press (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mindful Movements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindful Movements

Riobhcah
May 17, 2012 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, zen, yoga
What a beautiful and precious little book. Thich Nhat Hanh never ceases to amaze me that he can write so much meaning into his wonderful little books. The "mindfulness movements" that are the centre of this book are great low-stress exercises and definitely made me feel better when I was a little stressed. They don't take too long and are a great way to stop during the day and practice some mindful breathing. They will continue to be a part of my daily repertoire.
Skathi
Mar 12, 2013 Skathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this cute little thing! And the ten mindful movements! Just tried them after a crazy day, coming home exhausted and stressed out. Instead of collapsing on the couch with a thousand thougts whirling in my head I put on the dvd, did the program and felt grounded, calm and more like myself afterwards. The movements are lovely actually, feels good and does good :)
Nikki
This book is a gem! I always enjoy Nhat Hanh's work. This one feels especially magical because of the beautiful illustrations included. The ten mindful movements then are described carefully in the book, or you can watch them on the accompanying DVD. I just found them to be a great way to really wake up into the body, to quiet the mind, and start the day. :)
C.
Jan 16, 2013 C. rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Although I practice yoga, I don't always have the time I would like, and this is a nice way to still check out and check in with myself. It has also proven a great way to engage my children. My toddler is especially willing to engage in the process with me, which is enjoyable for both of us. My son is a little more resistant, being 9, but he's capable of doing all of the poses, and when he's in the mood, it's a good way to relax together. The book is highly accessible ...more
Joe
Feb 21, 2016 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
10 mindful movements are described in detailed brevity. The illustrations are wonderful - very inclusive and welcoming. I'm hoping the book will be a great addition to my classroom library - the book as a whole is very kid-friendly. Will try the DVD with students soon.
Nickie
Jan 15, 2016 Nickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll use this book and it's movements along with the dvd for teaching children and adults. Another way to bring attention to the body and mind and preparing for yoga and meditation.
Fiona
Apr 05, 2016 Fiona added it
I enjoyed the exercises. Very calming.
Marissa Barbieri
This is a reprint (with DVD!) of a book that came out a decade ago from Thay and the other fine folks at Plum Village (where I'd love to spend time some day) Now entering my 5th month of both a)being extremely mindful of my movements and b)losing my shit, I figured it'd be good for me. I can't do a lot of yoga poses without fear of dislocating a hip or two, but these are fairly simple and gentle, so I think I'll be cool. As long as I don't have to cross my legs, which is now forbidden. :(
Karen
Short book, but the 10 movements are well laid out and easy to follow. Worth the read.
Melissa Shirley
Jan 13, 2012 Melissa Shirley rated it really liked it
A wonderful little book! This would be an excellent and thoughtful gift. It's just a little picture book/DVD with very easy exercises that bring your mind to the present and leave you with a long-lasting feeling of well-being.
Megan
Dec 23, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Great ideas for movement practice with children or older folks. I may do some of these with my students during our "brain breaks."
Michael
Oct 28, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Not really calibrated to the kind of exercise I like. It's a little too quiet. That's probably the point. Good for kids though.
Nina1982
May 09, 2014 Nina1982 rated it liked it
Good reminder to live a mindful life.
Ame
Dec 04, 2008 Ame is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this caught my eye right away; I stayed within budget and got a dvd to boot!!
Carrie
Sep 22, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Ten great mindful movements to incorporate into a Yoga practice.
Joe Bartmann
Joe Bartmann rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Daniel Gabrielli
Daniel Gabrielli rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Lisa Bintrim
Lisa Bintrim rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Mary Pat Carothers
Mary Pat Carothers rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Lisa Lyon Coloma
Lisa Lyon Coloma rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Anna Adams
Anna Adams rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Shirley Norwood
Shirley Norwood rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Jeaneen
Jeaneen rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Paula Tarazona Diaz
Paula Tarazona Diaz marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Fiona O'Neill
Fiona O'Neill rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Michelle Hawley
Michelle Hawley rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Richard Meacham
Richard Meacham marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles
  • Developing Intuition: Practical Guidance for Daily Life
  • The Intuitive Way: A Guide to Living from Inner Wisdom
  • Riding Between the Worlds: Expanding Our Potential Through the Way of the Horse
  • Peaceful Piggy Meditation
  • Animal Reiki: Using Energy to Heal the Animals in Your Life
  • The Big Questions: A Buddhist Response to Life's Most Challenging Mysteries
  • How To Live 365 Days A Year
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • Healing with Form, Energy, and Light: The Five Elements in Tibetan Shamanism, Tantra, and Dzogchen

“If we bring mindfulness into every aspect of our life, we cannot help but experience life’s miracles.   THE FIRST MIRACLE is to be present and able to touch deeply the miracles of life, like the blue sky, a flower, the smile of a child.   THE SECOND MIRACLE is to make the other—the sky, a flower, a child—present also. Then we have the opportunity to see each other deeply.   THE THIRD MIRACLE is to nourish the object of your attention with full awareness and appropriate attention.   THE FOURTH MIRACLE is to relieve the suffering of others.” 0 likes