Start by marking “Le catilinarie” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  1,543 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Una coppia di anziani coniugi, Emile e juliette, decidono di ritirarsi in campagna per trascorrere gli ultimi anni della loro vita in una felice cornice bucolica. Ma i due vengono quotidianamente perseguitati da un vicino obeso e silenzioso, Palamède Bernardin, che tutti i pomeriggi va a trovarli invadendo, con la sua enorme mole, il loro salotto. Le cose si complicano ult ...more
Paperback, Le fenici tascabili #71, 133 pages
Published 2002 by Guanda (first published August 24th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Le catilinarie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le catilinarie

Emmett
This is the 8th novel of Nothomb's I've read. While I always enjoy her works, some are obviously more entertaining/impressive to me than others. That being said, I LOVED this one. I've typically enjoyed her semi-autobiographical works more than just her stories, but this was definitely an exception. The story was amazing. It was short (like everything I've read by her) with very little background, consisting mainly of dialogue between a husband and wife, but I couldn't wait to finish it. Her des ...more
Genevieve
Nov 28, 2014 Genevieve rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of dark, psychological fiction
Shelves: horror-dark, reviewed
In The Stranger Next Door by Amélie Nothomb, childhood sweethearts, Emile and Juliette Hazel, married for 43 years, decide to abandon city life for an idyllic retirement in the country. They have a burning need for solitude, to become true free spirits liberated from "what men have made of life." And so, in true fairy tale fashion, they buy a cottage in the woods, a house covered in blue wisteria set near a river, and get ready to begin their golden years in peace and tranquility.

But then comes
Tessa
More than anything this book is about pleasure. What makes us happy and what gives us pleasure? Are the 2 the same? Or can we have one without the other?

Emile and Juliette found the perfect home for their retirement. Everything seems to go perfect until their sanctum is bothered by their neighbour, Bernardin. Incredibly fat and rude, he tortures them 2 hours each day by coming to their house and sitting them without saying anything. Just looking uncomfortable and making the old couple feel the s
William He
Finished this short novella in a week and I couldn't help laughing at Nothomb's brilliant descriptions of repulsive characters. The story revolves around two retired couple who move to the country side after finding the house of their dreams. Mr. Hazel, a retired high school teacher, and his wife moved away from the city to enjoy some peace and quiet in the winter. Everything was going swell until their dear neighbor comes in for a visit, then another visit, and then one every day. When push com ...more
I liked Fear and Trembling so I borrowed another book from her.

This too was a quick read. 205 pages, took perhaps a bit over an hour. I quite enjoy short books, not just because they are easy to approach but if written well, often there is plenty left unsaid which leaves so much room for personal interpretations. I do not like books where the author treats the reader as if they had no ability to think themselves.

The book begins with a man and woman who have just retired and have finally fulfille
Cora D
Sin querer el azar ha puesto en mis manos uno de los mejores libros que pudiese esperar y desear.

Me encantan los problemas morales hechos novela, pero esta novela corta en particualar lleva al lector desde su visión externa, hasta hacerle cómplice de las cavilaciones pasionales de Emile.

Recomendado si se busca delimitar lo correcto e incorrecto de las acciones personales en un marco social.
Tassia
Un libro dall'incredibile capacità di analisi psicologica. Dapprima non ce ne si rende conto, i personaggi sembrano caricature - forse in fondo la coppia Bernardin lo rimane fino alla fine (Bernadette mi ricorda incredibilmente la versione finale della Strega delle lande nel Castello errante di Howl) - eppure possiamo parlare di una vera e propria epifania, c'è un momento in cui tutto, perfino lo straordinario, ritorna sotto il controllo dell'ordinario e si riesce ad aggiustare la prospettiva co ...more
Sophie
Nothomb writes with so much insight and this story isn't any different. It deals with a couple who retire to the countryside to be on their own. There is only one house anywhere nearby. But when the doctor who lives there starts coming to visit between 4 and 6pm every day, it changes everything. The story is uncomfortable, psychological and excellent. I just didn't like it myself.
AmberBug *shelfnotes.com*
The central character is a retired philosophy teacher and the book jumps right into the human psyche. I loved every word of this book and want to read everything by Northomb, although I don't know how many of her books have been translated into English from French. Her writing makes me contemplate learning French... that's how much I liked this book.
Roberta
Amélie Nothomb è un'autrice fantastica e decisamente particolare. I suoi romanzi migliori per quel che mi riguarda sono quelli autobiografici, ma tutti sono meritevoli: solo uno dei tanti che ho letto mi ha proprio lasciato perplessa (Igiene dell'assassino).

Akhila
I knew this book was translated from French to English. I don't know much about the author, the book was a gift. It's really interesting and the musings of the main character, was interesting but the plot made me keep going. The plot. It was the plot. Interesting abstract read.
Deepa
What a good book!just picked this one off the shelf without the usual research i put into picking books.Surprise!Great suspense,and 149 pages only.so, busy readers who are fans of creepy,funny and suspenseful novels will enjoy this one!
Jen
Kind of desturbing, a little aggrivating, bone chilling - for sure - but on the whole I enjoyed it. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes the 'mental suffering' genre.
Sandra
L'ho letto tutto di un fiato. E' un libro che sembrerebbe raccontare una storia di quotidianità, ma poi... Mi ha lasciato perplessa.Mi sa che non l'ho capito.
Josephine
Amazing. Totally takes the place of 'Loving Sabotage' as my favourite by Nothomb...so far.
Sherry
So strange, and so good. A mystery of the human psyche.
Emma T.
Feb 05, 2013 Emma T. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aux férus de la comédie à la française
Shelves: humour, réflexion
Je connaissais la dame au chapeau mais pas ses oeuvres. C'est maintenant chose faite, grâce à Les Catilinaires .
C'est l'histoire d'un papy érudit, drôle et sympathique qui emménage avec sa femme depuis toujours à la campagne, pour profiter d'une retraite bien méritée. Mais problème, leur voisin est une plaie car il ne cessera de les harceler de son silence tous les jours... Un homme qui s'invite contre votre gré chez vous quotidiennement pendant deux heures sans parler ou presque, c'est aussi a
Bibliophile
De parca n-as mai fi avut si altceva de citit, m-am apucat de carticica asta, pe care, bineinteles, am si terminat-o in curs de o zi si ceva [cum altfel, la cat de subtirica e, si la cat de labartat e scrisul?].

Mi-a placut foarte mult subiectul acestui roman, pentru motivul ca stiu cum e sa-ti violeze cineva intimitatea. Cu siguranta, insa, n-am avut parte, in viata mea, de nici un personaj atat de insolit, anost, si, pana la urma, nesimtit, cum e Palamede Barnardin, care sa-mi scotoceasca minte
Alisea
Le catilinarie

Palamède Bernardin è l'ingombrante vicino di casa di Emile e Juliette, una coppia di anziani coniugi che decidono di ritirarsi in campagna per trascorrere gli ultimi anni della loro vita in una felice e campestre solitudine. I coniugi però sono costretti dalle regole imposte dalla buona educazione a subire quotidianamente le visite dell'asociale e silenzioso vicino obeso che invade dalle 16 alle 18 il loro salotto. La situazione precipiterà quando, a queste riunioni silenziose, si
Syringa Smyrna
"Certes, il y aura toujours des gens pour dire que le bien et le mal n'existent pas: ce sont ceux qui n'ont jamais eu affaire au vrai mal. Le bien est beaucoup moins convaincant que le mal: c'est parce que leur structure chimique est différente.
Comme l'or, le bien ne se rencontre jamais à l'état pur dans la nature: il est donc normal de ne pas le trouver impressionnant. Il a la fâcheuse habitude de ne rien faire; il préfère se donner en spectacle.
Le mal, lui, s'apparente à un gaz: il n'est pas f
Rainbowgirl
Un couple de vieillards amoureux s'installe dans la maison de leurs rêves, à la campagne. Tout serait parfait sans leur voisin, un homme odieux qui s'invite chez eux tous les jours à la même heure, tant et si bien que leur havre de paix devient le théâtre de la discorde dans ce couple béatement heureux depuis soixante ans. Cette situation insolite va mettre à jour les faiblesses de l'époux, mais aussi son côté obscur, insoupçonné.

Comme le seul roman de Nothomb que j'aie trouvé satisfaisant jusqu
Monica
Emile e Juliette decidono di ritirarsi in una vita di tranquillita' in campagna. Poi arriva Palamede Bernardin, vicino di casa. Ogni giorno, nel pomeriggio, egli fa visita agli anziani coniugi, si siede sul divano e non dice una parola... una presenza che alla fine si fa ingombrante e psicologicamente insopportabile.

Un bel libro, dalla finezza psicologica ammirabile, anche se non semplicissimo da comprendere. Titolo Italiano: Le catilinarie.
Sli
Tema knjige bila je miljama daleko od mene. Niti me zanimala, niti angažirala.
Ova knjiga je toliko slična Strahu i trepetu, ali ovoga puta likovi su (iako sasvim plošni kao i u Strahu i trepetu) potpuno nezanimljivi. To je tako kada pišeš takve romane. Ili te čeka neviđen uspjeh ili neslavno propadaš. Na žalost ovim romanom Amelie se približila drugoj opciji.
Stranice su se okretale brzo, ali knjiga nikako da završi.
Sve one kvalitete koje sam vidio u Strahu i trepetu sada su išle protiv knjige.
Callie S.
Fatti un favore: smamma

A dispetto del mio apprezzamento per la Nothomb e per il surreale cinismo delle sue pagine, comincio ad accusare una discreta stanchezza per il costante ripetersi dei suoi schemi narrativi.
La battaglia tra cervello e stomaco, la presenza (persistenza, oserei dire) del ‘corpo disturbante’, si rincorrono tra un romanzo e l’altro, come l’inevitabile carattere dal nome astruso e la ricerca del motto fulminante.
Qui impera lo scocciatore-della-porta-accanto, archetipo di un egoi
Lauma
Pirmā iepazīšanās ar ievērojamo beļģu rakstnieci Amēliju Notombu. Grāmatu "Svešinieks kaimiņos" izlasīju pāris stundās un ik mirkli pavadīja lielāka vai mazāka sajūsma par sižetu, valodu, varoņiem.
Patīk man tās absurda drāmas, tad uzreiz atceros Kafku kā izcilāko pārstāvi.
Sākums mani pagalam fascinēja,beigas ne tik ļoti, zvaigznes varētu būt 4,5.
Noteikti lasīšu vēl kādu no viņas darbiem.
Kaloyana
Това вече е една от най-любимите ми книги на Амели Нотомб!!! Просто грандиозна.
Mónica Rubio
J'ai découvert cette auteur avec ce livre. J'ai été éblouie.
Isabel
Una historia tan extraña pero muy buena!
Monica Mogno
Meravigliosamente paranoico.
Simo
A quick and enjoyable read.
  • Prisonniers du paradis
  • Les Jolies Choses
  • Messieurs les enfants
  • Destruction d'un cœur
  • L'Éducation d'une fée
  • L'évangile selon Pilate
  • Un petit pas pour l'homme
  • Miss Charity
  • The Mustache
  • Les Sept Jours du talion
  • Enfance
  • Le Petit Sauvage
Amélie Nothomb was born in Kobe, Japan to Belgian diplomats. She lived there until she was five years old, and then subsequently lived in China, New York, Bangladesh, Burma, a stint in Coventry and Laos.

She is from a distinguished Belgian political family; she is notably the grand-niece of Charles-Ferdinand Nothomb, a Belgian foreign minister (1980-1981). Her first novel, Hygiène de l'assassin, wa
More about Amélie Nothomb...
Stupeur et tremblements Hygiène de l'assassin Métaphysique des tubes Ni d'Ève ni d'Adam Cosmétique de l'ennemi

“It’s true that someone will always say that good and evil don’t exist: that is a person who has never had any dealings with real evil. Good is far less convincing than evil, but it’s because their chemical structures are different.

Like gold, good is never found in a pure state in nature: it therefore doesn’t seem impressive. It has the unfortunate tendency not to act; it prefers, passively, to be seen.”
15 likes