Start by marking “King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus” as Want to Read:
King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus

King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,450 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author and nationally renowned minister Timothy Keller unlocks new insights into the life of Jesus Christ.

King's Cross is Timothy Keller's revelatory look at the life of Christ as told in the Gospel of Mark. There have been many biographies of Jesus, but few will be as anticipated as one by Keller, the man Newsweek calls "a C.S. Lewis for the tw
Hardcover, First Edition, 250 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by Dutton, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (first published January 1st 2011)

The Cross of Christ by John R.W. StottSeeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John PiperThe Passion of Jesus Christ by John PiperThe Jesus I Never Knew by Philip YanceyThe Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones
Books About Jesus
6th out of 177 books — 92 voters
Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Pursuit of God by A.W. TozerKnowing God by J.I. PackerDesiring God by John PiperDon't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Best Books on the Gospel
14th out of 124 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

John
Dec 06, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
I'm all kinds of happy with this book. I've either liked or loved all of Keller's books. But this one is my favorite. It carries all of Keller's popular themes: justice, idols, gospel critique of religion, and worldview challenge. But they are all brought out from the text of the Gospel of Mark. The strength of this book is that it helped me trust in and love Christ more. Also, it's a wonderful example of reading the gospels. It's a wonderful book to read for devotions or hand to a skeptic.
Barb Terpstra
Aug 08, 2011 Barb Terpstra rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend "King's Cross" highly enough. There were so many parts that spoke to me, that brought me to new awareness of the gift of Jesus to the World.

How can it be that we have lost the urgency, the joy, the passion that is the real and true story of Jesus. Like C.S. Lewis, Timothy Keller opens my brain to new pathways of understanding of just how significant the death of Jesus on the cross is.

I know this seems weird to say. I'm a Christian - one would think I'm feeling this all the tim
Brian
Apr 27, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
THERE IS GOOD NEWS!

"God is the source of all love, all life, all light, all coherence. Therefore exclusion from God is exclusion from the source of all light, all love, all coherence. Jesus began to experience the spiritual, cosmic, infinite disintegration that would happen when he became separated from his Father on the cross. Jesus began to experience merely a foretaste of that, and he staggered."

Pastor Kellers thoughts about the written word of God are at times staggering to me. I can think o
Eric Chappell
Jan 25, 2012 Eric Chappell rated it it was amazing
I. Before

Book "is an extended meditation on the historical Christian premise that Jesus' life, death, and resurrection form the central event of cosmic human history as well as the central organizing principle of our own lives" (x).

1. A true life story: Keller goes through Bauckham's arguments about the gospels as oral histories.

2. The Gospel of Mark: Peter mentioned in basically every episode--shows that Mark was writing Peter's testimony.

Jesus has come--anything can happen now. Coming of Jesus
Shelly
May 13, 2011 Shelly rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading The King's Cross by Tim Keller, and I find myself (as is usually the case when I read Tim Keller) wanting more.

Keller does a fantastic job of inviting his readers to join with him on a journey through the book of Mark. The pace is natural, the insights and teaching phenomenal. I felt as if I was right there, immersed in the first century as an eyewitness to the life of my Jesus. The nuances, the details, the tremendously multi-faceted story--all are written about wit
Kristian Kilgore
May 22, 2013 Kristian Kilgore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology-to-read
(I enjoyed this as an audio book and it was very listenable)

Tim Keller is the pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, and I have listened to his audio sermons for quite a few years - in fact, he is one of a very short list of preachers whose sermons I will actually pay to listen to. I'm familiar with his style and some of the flow of his thought, but this was by far the longest thing I've consumed of his to date. I was not disappointed.

Keller is an incredible communicator. He ha
Ben Zajdel
Dec 14, 2011 Ben Zajdel rated it really liked it
Timothy Keller is being lauded as the next C. S. Lewis, and it's pretty easy to see why. He's got a distinctive writing style--intellectual, but not complicated. While his thoughts aren't as complex as Lewis's, his prose is much more enjoyable.

King's Cross (just in time for Easter) is essentially a commentary on the Gospel of Mark. Keller focuses on the actions of Jesus, and he cites Mark's journalistic approach as the reason he chose to center King's Cross around that gospel.

Keller's premise
Ashley Katsuyama
Nov 12, 2013 Ashley Katsuyama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, favorites
This is a must read for anyone, Christian or not. For those already with a strong faith, it will solidify the core beliefs of Christianity and bring a greater level of intimacy with and understanding of Jesus himself. Walking through Jesus' ministry and life, with a focus on the facts, which Keller is so spectacular at, is a powerful way of rationalizing Christian practices and beliefs.

For those still seeking, this book is beautiful in that it deals with the core of Christianity. Jesus' life is
Rob O'Lynn
Jul 16, 2015 Rob O'Lynn rated it it was amazing
Excellent! What else can I say about a Time Keller book. I am very glad that I selected this as a textbook for the Mark course I am teaching this fall.
Gigi
Dec 22, 2015 Gigi rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! So many great points and illustrations. I will be going back it again and again. A clear, thorough guide through Mark and all the miracle of the gospel. Can't recommend it enough.
Cherrie
Feb 12, 2015 Cherrie rated it it was amazing
This is my 1st Tim Keller book and I absolutely loved it. Took my time to chew through the book - SO many good things in here; I nearly highlighted the whole book. THAT good.

"I trust that you will find the figure if Jesus worthy of your attention: unpredictable yet reliable, gentle yet powerful, authoritative yet humble, human yet divine."

Takeaways:
- knowing God as a goal - not using God as means to get to other life goals
- "follow me bc I'm the King you've been looking for. follow me bc I hav
Hannah Brandenburg
Feb 20, 2013 Hannah Brandenburg rated it it was amazing
This book greatly broke me then healed me. It showed me how to dance for Him.
Keiki Hendrix
Apr 14, 2011 Keiki Hendrix rated it it was amazing
More than a few readers have dubbed Timothy Keller as the C. S. Lewis of our day. This is quite an impressive statement especially to me because of my particular fondness of Lewis' books. Not having read any of Timothy Keller's books, I was definitely intrigued.

His words, his illustrations, and how he presented the gospel message matches Lewis' style. It did not surprise me to read that Lewis is of Keller's favorite author.

In King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus, Keller focu
Matthew
Jan 26, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Timothy Keller is very quickly becoming one of my favorite authors to read. His last book, Generous Justice, was fantastic and skillfully addressed the important issues of social justice and the gospel, generosity, and God’s heart for the marginalized in a profound way. Now, just a few months later, he’s following up with King’s Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus.

Built off a sermon series done by Keller at his church in Manhattan, King’s Cross is basically a guided tour of Jesus’
Clockstein Lockstein
Mar 22, 2011 Clockstein Lockstein rated it it was amazing
King's Cross by Timothy Keller is a study of the life of Jesus and his message through the Gospel of Mark. Keller who is the pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan has written several other books about Christianity, but this is a compilation of his sermons on Mark. Mark is considered to be the oldest of the Gospels and is also the shortest. Mark keeps his Gospel short but sweet focusing on the true message of Christ. Keller's wisdom is evident on every page with a great deal of insi ...more
Leonardo Bruno
Dec 14, 2013 Leonardo Bruno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O livro é uma espécie de comentário de Evangelho de Marcos. Mas não um comentário do tipo que estamos habituados a ler. Nas palavras do próprio autor, esse livro trata-se de "uma extensa meditação sobre a histórica premissa cristã de que a vida, morte e ressurreição de Jesus constituem o evento central da história humana a cósmica, assim como o princípio organizador central da vida de todos nós. Dito de outra forma, toda história do mundo — e o modo como nós encaixamos nela — é mais claramente c ...more
Eric Anderson
Jun 05, 2012 Eric Anderson rated it it was amazing

Keller does an excellent job walking through the book of Mark. His work is well-educated, yet still very much accessible. The book is divided into two sections: the first expounds upon Christ's identity (King), while the second more fully relates His purpose (cross). Overall, his treatment of the scripture passages was thorough and enlightening.
I thought his comments on the uniqueness of the Gospel were right on. The Gospel is not simply good advice, but is rather life-changing news. Similarly,
Keren A.
Dec 27, 2011 Keren A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reading
King’s Cross is hands down the best book I’ve read in recent months, and probably in years. Keller uses the Gospel of Mark to clearly articulate and examine the major themes of “the King” and “the Cross,” dividing the book in to two main parts under those headings. This work is both commentary and devotional, both theological and inspirational, both intellectual and easy to read (or listen to). It is written to address both the skeptic of Christianity and those already in love with this King.

It
Bethany
May 08, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book.

Tim Keller is an engaging communicator anyway, but this book did a fabulous job at blending apologetics and story. The gospel already feels alive to me, but his blending into story doesn't make me leap around through the Gospels in the same way, trying not to miss any important details. He explained the Gospel story as one and shot down some pervasive arguments against it. He did it gently and with logic and personal/emotional connection. He showed that while the gospel
Jonathan McIntosh
Jun 04, 2012 Jonathan McIntosh rated it really liked it
Most of the best Keller gems are here, so King's Cross makes a great intro to Tim's work for those who are unfamiliar. Don't go into this thinking this is a commentary on the book of Mark - not everything in Mark's gospel is covered here. Keller has a cohesive theme he's working with, so the book is more like 18 little Tim Keller sermons packaged together... easy to read and insightful. Keller always writes/speaks with unbelievers in mind, so it makes a great book for seekers/skeptics as well as ...more
Mark
Apr 16, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
I am continually impressed by Tim Keller's ability to present the Gospel in refreshing and insightful ways. Once again, he has taken a familiar portrayal of Jesus (from the Gospel of Mark) and drawn out truths which are relevant and practical to ordinary, garden variety seekers of truth. is less intellectual than his (equally enlightening) The Reason for God, and a bit more socially-oriented than The Prodigal God. Keller fans will not be disappointed and those unfamiliar with Keller will become ...more
Susan
Feb 17, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
This book did more to challenge my thinking than any book I've read in some time. Every chapter presents the familiar stories of Mark in a different way, forcing the reader to dig deeper to find the significance behind the words on the page. It has helped me better relate to the characters in the Biblical stories and shown me that in their place, I probably would have done just what they did. And just as Jesus loved them anyway, so he loves me. I am not somehow more insightful than Peter when he ...more
Catherine Gillespie
Apr 28, 2015 Catherine Gillespie rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
King’s Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus is a great book Tim Keller wrote based on his sermon series on the gospel of Mark. As in his other books, Keller combined an in-depth study of scripture with insightful applications that expose common cultural blindspots and make familiar Bible passages seem new.

One of the many topics that resonated with me in the book was Keller’s discussion of how Jesus addressed identity. With examples like the behavior and attitudes of the rich young
Mik Ferguson
Oct 28, 2012 Mik Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent book by Keller. This is the third book I've read by him and each time I have been challenged to love Jesus more.

Initially I was a little disappointed when I discovered that not all of Mark's Gospel was going to be covered. However by the end I didn't feel like I'd missed out.

Based on a series of sermons it is an absorbing, fast moving, Gospel centred book. I thoroughly recommend it.
Bryan
Dec 22, 2015 Bryan rated it it was amazing
OK, so I buy the story of Jesus: son of God, resurrection, last judgement. No problem. Keller makes an argument so philosophically sound on this point that Socrates himself would have a hard time poking holes in it. While I think he's a little shakier in his intellectual reasoning, I'll also buy his argument on the existence of Hell and Satan. However, I just cannot convince myself about original sin and the Garden of Eden. Keller stands his ground on this point, but I guess I lack faith here. H ...more
Richard Kuhn
Jan 19, 2016 Richard Kuhn rated it really liked it
This is my introduction to Timothy Keller's work, and it certainly won't be my last. Keller is the founding pastor of the massive Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City. Newsweek has called him a modern day C.S. Lewis, a huge comparison and going into reading this book I felt like if Keller even got into the same ballpark as Lewis, it would be a successful experience. In this reader's humble opinion, not only is Keller in the same ballpark, he's in the same batter's box.

KING'S CROSS is Ke
Sergio Rodríguez González

La cruz del Rey es una reflexión devocional alrededor del hecho más trascendental de la historia de la humanidad: la vida, muerte y resurrección de Jesús. A través del testimonio del evangelista Marcos, sus enseñanzas encarnadas en su propia vida dan sentido a las nuestras de una manera extraordinaria, su gobierno como Rey supremo y su propósito al morir en la cruz. La cruz del Rey es el testimonio personal de un encuentro genuino con Dios en la persona de Jesús.

Tim Keller toma prestado de C.S.
Amy Kannel
Sep 25, 2012 Amy Kannel rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, christianity
Classic Keller, full of the gospel where you've never seen it before. I actually went through this twice--once just reading it cover to cover, then again later as a commentary while reading through the book of Mark. As usual, Keller is excellent.

Drake
Mar 28, 2015 Drake rated it really liked it
Tim Keller does a great job of writing a book that can be read by both a new believer and a mature Christian, by both a skeptic wanting to learn more about what Christianity is all about and a pastor who is studying and teaching through the gospel of Mark. But most importantly, Keller makes the reader look long and hard at Jesus - His life, His teachings, His works, His death, and His resurrection - and does so in a way that is at times simply breathtaking. Jesus Christ is the most amazing man w ...more
David
Feb 28, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
His best and clearest presentation of the gospel using the Mark text.
  • The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Gospel Wakefulness
  • The Next Story: Life and Faith after the Digital Explosion
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit)
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • Surprised By Grace: God's Relentless Pursuit Of Rebels
  • Gospel: Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary
  • Why We Love the Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion
  • Note to Self: The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself
  • Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
Timothy Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, which he started in 1989 with his wife, Kathy, and three young sons. For over twenty years he has led a diverse congregation of young professionals that has grown to a weekly attendance of over 5,000.

He is also Chairman of Redeemer City to City, which starts new churches in New York and other global cities, and pub
More about Timothy Keller...

“If this world was made by a triune God, relationships of love are what life is really all about.” 3 likes
“But in true love, your aim is to spend yourself and use yourself for the happiness of the other, because your greatest joy is that person’s joy. Therefore your affection is unconditional: You give it regardless of whether your loved one is meeting your needs. And it’s radically vulnerable: You spend everything, hold nothing back, give it all away.” 2 likes