Start by marking “Finders Keepers” as Want to Read:
Finders Keepers

Read eBook

Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers #1)

In the spirit of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure meets The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ...

Traversing Europe, New Zealand, and the backbone of Eternity, Finders Keepers is a raunchy, sci-fi backpacking comedy that not only tackles friendship, sex, commitment, and desire, but also God, reincarnation--and what really happened to the dinosaurs!

On a backpacking trip t
Paperback, Oversize Paperback, 358 pages
Published March 1st 2013 by Crazy 8 Press (first published October 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finders Keepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finders Keepers

Rajan
May 11, 2017 Rajan rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Finders Keepers is the book one of this trilogy. What if the Gods also have systems like humans? This book is a sci-fi and has this interesting premise.

In some far off galaxy Eternitarians live who have the job of populating planets. They build eath like stystems on new planets. The story starts with an eternitarian couple Donald and Danielle. They are work crew and given a single jar of cosmic building matrial or CBM, which is universe DNA. A single drop can wipe out several star systems. They
Mary Fan
May 19, 2017 Mary Fan rated it really liked it
Finders Keepers follows the adventures of Jason Medley and Theo Barnes, two hapless, bumbling backpackers who really shouldn't be trusted with anything important. So of course they stumble into a plot including a jar of the Universe's DNA, a plot that could change the fate of the entire galaxy. This fun, chaotic novel captures that madcap spirit of dudely comedies like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Not saying that only dudes can enjoy it (I, for o ...more
Ove
Aug 13, 2011 Ove rated it really liked it
A Missing Jar of Cosmic Building Material

Finders Keepers is a humorous science fiction about god and backpacking in Europe. Not so much about god as about the people he has working for him creating the universe. Donald and Danielle steal some time from making the Milky Way to make love on the newly created earth. Unfortunately they lose a jar of cosmic building material too.

This Jar is the focal point for the two storylines that follow. One continues with Eternity and the stressful and oh so hum
Alysa H.
Apr 07, 2013 Alysa H. rated it liked it
This is a nice genre-bender of a novel. Part sci-fi, part buddy travelogue, part comedy, part (a small one) philosophy. There were a great many interconnected characters, and their different threads are picked up and dropped over and over via lots and lots of short chapters -- perhaps too many, and some of which I cared a lot more about than others.

The core of the story, and arguably its most effective part, is the bromance between twentysomethings Jason and Theo as they traipse around Europe.
Ed Morawski
Sep 03, 2013 Ed Morawski rated it really liked it
Finders Keepers
In the spirit of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'Finders Keepers' is a raunchy rollicking adventure spanning all of 'Eternity' -- and earth! The story is absurdist fun yet oddly compelling. Wildly humorous yet with a healthy dose of strange drama, so much so that it was actually difficult to put down. I wanted to see where the weird and wonderfully drawn characters ended up or did next...

I can understand why the author has difficulty classifying his works because despite trying
Paul
May 12, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
I've done a lot of backpacking over the years, so if you're looking for a book that captures what it's really like ... I definitely recommend Russ Colchamiro's Finders Keepers. It's hilarious.

He totally gets all the frantic running around from trains and buses and hostels and all the crazy people you meet and the places you end up that were totally unexpected.

There are also these scenes where you see the fatigue set in, and how paranoid you get thinking that anybody around you could either end u
Paula van der Riet
Jul 19, 2016 Paula van der Riet rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed it :) It was a lot of fun!
Trisha Smith
May 18, 2017 Trisha Smith rated it really liked it
I was honestly surprised at how many negative reviews this book had. I actually liked it, though it was a whirlwind of a story and was a challenge to read. But it was a challenge I enjoyed. This is a book that keeps you on your toes, and I found much of the story to be humorous, though a bit crude at times (which didn't bother me in the least). I enjoyed it, but I like this kind of book and this style of writing. I had a hard time following what was going on much of the time since there are mult ...more
Kathryn Parry
May 25, 2017 Kathryn Parry rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is my next review read on my shelf. First chapter in feels like an hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy feel to the story which is a great start for me.

Often funny and all great characters at 20%. Love all the different characters some knowing looking for the lost jar left on Earth by an accident and some stumbling into a world beyond their understanding. Loving the story so far and I'm a big Hichhicker's fan and this so far is up to that standard of writing.

Onto part two of the story. This h
Jim Dyar
May 24, 2017 Jim Dyar rated it really liked it
Do not let this man dictate how the universe works...

A laugh out loud read about what you should never do when creating existence with a cast of characters should never have been put in charge of anything. Heartily recommended :)
Melissa Hayden
Dec 12, 2010 Melissa Hayden rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fun
Newlyweds, Donald and Danielle, make an unexpected stop in the Milky Way Galaxy on Earth - out and away from Eternity, their home. Not knowing this fun stop could be disastrous for them and the whole Milky Way Galaxy. They accidentally knocked their assigned jar of CBM (the Universes DNA) off a ledge into a cooling frozen humongous glacier during their hanky panky moment. Lost. Now the warehouses the jars are stored in the off hours are being inventoried and their lost jar will be caught missing ...more
Robb Bridson
Feb 10, 2014 Robb Bridson rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclosure: I received this book for free from the author through Goodreads' first reads program.

This book has its ups and downs, but ultimately it's a fascinating fantasy take with some well-developed, nuanced, interesting characters. Surprising for a book of the sci-fi/comedy genre, where it's usually more plot than character and more laughs than story.

The humor of the story is not my sort, and the philosophy underlying the story, as well as much of the slang language choices, is just plain ga
William Breen
Feb 14, 2014 William Breen rated it liked it
I have two small criticisms of this book. Reading the first quarter of the book it seemed to me as if the author put chapters in random order, especially those concerning Theo. Things seemed to be happening out of sequence. I was reading it on my kindle and would have liked to go back to chapter beginnings to sort through the dates but this edition wasn't formatted to take advantage of the kindle. The other criticism I have is the portrayal of Danielle. When we are first introduced to her she co ...more
RhC
Feb 05, 2016 RhC rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
meh …

First off: Absolutely no "science" in this work of fiction -- more of a buddy story with a fantasy twist. Unfortunately, Mr. Colchamiro has ostensibly never wandered across a continent because anyone that I ever met who has has had far better stories than are related here.

Actually, I didn't really "get" the lost jar of universal goo aspect to the fantasy. The whole subplot came out of nowhere, went nowhere, added nothing and was basically irrelevant to the story. If the search was supposed
Ray
Dec 14, 2013 Ray rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books-read
If Jack Kerouac had gone On The Road, not with Neal Cassady but rather Zaphod Beebebrox, his resulting novel would have turned out much like this. Finders Keepers is full of characters trying to find, and for obvious reasons trying to keep, a jarful of Essence of Universe that fell off a warehouse shelf.

The four main threads of the book follow Donald, Jason, Emma and Theo- not necessarily in that order (or, always, with those names)- as the jar proceeds to act as a verb and jar them into and out
Tammie
Nov 03, 2011 Tammie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I was one of the lucky winners to win a signed copy of this book on Goodreads First Reads program. This humorous science fiction book centers around an important jar containing CBM (Cosmic Building Materials)that accidently gets knocked down to Earth from Eternity by newlyweds Donald and Danielle. The important jar is subsequently picked up on Earth and now in the possession of characters Jason and Theo, while others race to find it.
I highly recommend reading "Finders Keepers"- this book is wel
Nigel Mitchell
Aug 12, 2011 Nigel Mitchell rated it liked it
I thought this was a really clever book. It avoided the trap of trying to be another Douglas Adams by being much more realistic and detailed. The journeys from Europe, New Zealand, and beyond all felt very realistic, which made the more outrageous parts funnier. There was even a detailed mythology with the Eternians as the creators of the universe, but really more consumed with their own more mundane concerns. My only caveat would be that there's a lot of sex. Lots of it. Whether that's a plus o ...more
Pantopicon
Apr 04, 2015 Pantopicon rated it it was ok
This book is definitely influenced by the tradition of Douglas Adams, but falls far short in execution. I found the characterizations and interactions to be misogynistic and racist -- with no political commentary to make these choices even marginally understandable. And, I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to fans of Douglas Adams or Christopher Moore -- there's no intelligent satire here, just copy and paste approach to their stylistic techniques.
Serina
Jun 17, 2012 Serina rated it it was ok
It was okay. I really feel this book would make a much better movie!The time line of the story jumped around so much, it made it more of an intellectual read. So if you're one of those genius people who enjoy wrapping your mind around time travel etc, you will love it. It didn't give me enough story for each person to follow easy, I had to really focus and concentrate to keep the multiple characters straight.
Jeremy DeBottis
Jul 30, 2013 Jeremy DeBottis rated it liked it
This is the definition of a book that continues to become more enjoyable the further in you get. I say that, because the main thing keeping it from being five stars in my mind is the beginning starts off a little bit slow, but once it gets going it's just a riot.

Doug Lewars
May 09, 2017 Doug Lewars rated it liked it
*** Possible Spoilers ***
I agreed to act as a reviewer for this book. So, first things first – the advertisement for this book suggests that it’s imbued with the spirit of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. It isn’t.

The author appears to be targeting a demographic of males aged eighteen to twenty-five. Since I’m not in this demographic or even close, it will be difficult for me to fully evaluate the book; however, I think he succeeded in producing a story and characters that will appeal to thos
Kru
May 24, 2017 Kru rated it liked it
**I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The story is drafted around Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker blending travelogue and a little fantasy all along. Writing was quite stunning at places, while at certain places it did not make much of sense, felt incomplete and disjoint.

There could have been a brief introduction on who is who, or a back story as the characters just popped in and it takes a few chapters to get into the mood of the story and know the characters and wha
Emris Lindsay
May 30, 2017 Emris Lindsay rated it really liked it
This is the most unorthodox book I have come across so far, it tells of the unique concept of how the world and the universe were created from a jar, imagine that. It’s a bit rowdy and altogether the testosterone and hormones levels are on overdrive. Although this book isn’t my cup a Joe, I know there are others out there who would enjoy this train ride. The story line isn’t bad, it’s just a tad bit too much for me
Lori
May 29, 2017 Lori rated it liked it
I was given this book to review, it's not something I would normally read. The characters and book itself are really well written, it's a fast fun read. I didn't like all the swearing, it just didn't seem necessary. There's a lot of sex and drug use in the book too. This book is definitely not for all readers. I can definitely see fans of Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy enjoying this.
melydia
Jul 18, 2011 melydia rated it liked it
Most of this novel is actually two more or less unrelated stories told side by side. The first is the tale of 20-something Jason’s adventures backpacking across Europe for the first time. Much of this plot is rushed and at times appears to be anecdotes from the author’s own experiences quoted verbatim and out of context. The other is about a jar of Cosmic Building Material lost during the construction of the Milky Way. It’s found by chance by a New Zealander, and the rest of the book is spent wi ...more
Sarah Sammis
May 25, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
In 1978 a little radio play debuted on BBC Radio 4 that went onto be a series of books, a television series and a movie. I'm talking about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It paved the way for the modern day science fiction comedy. It's also the story I thought of most while reading Finders Keepers by Russ Colchamiro.

Jason Medley just wants to get to Rome and decide where to backpack to next except he has about has much common sense as my cat. Theo Barnes is a bloke in New
The
Aug 07, 2015 The rated it liked it
Full review at http://atg-reviews.com/books-and-comi...

One of the first submissions we ever received for a book review came from an author named Russ Colchamiro. He was signed to an independent publisher and had just written a standalone comedic/dramatic space opera called Crossline. Not having the highest expectations, I read the book and was pleasantly surprised, not only by the humor, but also by how engaged I was with the story. So I figured it was time to start working on his Finders Keeper
Winnifred
Jun 19, 2011 Winnifred rated it liked it
Goodreads giveaway!

The cover so looks like something from scooby doo LOL, doesnt it?

Anyways, it was such an amusing story!
Liz
Nov 10, 2010 Liz rated it it was amazing
crazy fun!
Tyson
Jul 04, 2011 Tyson rated it liked it
My review here.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Mind Games (Guardian, #2)
  • Regolith
  • Caught In Time (Alysian Universe, #1)
  • Molly September
  • Down from Cascom Mountain: A Novel
  • The Road Home
  • Red Smoke Rising
  • The Way of the Eagle: An Early California Journey of Awakening
  • Kismet: Beyond the Bedroom Series
  • A Cure to Die For
  • Kendras Diaries (Growing Pains #1)
  • The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1)
  • Maximum Ice
  • The Mission (Worlds Without End, #1)
  • Majesty's Offspring
  • Perception (Tigers' Eye, #1)
  • Angel
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
Russ Colchamiro is the author of the rollicking space adventure Crossline, the hilarious scifi backpacking comedy Finders Keepers, and the outrageous sequel, Genius de Milo, all with Crazy 8 Press.

For fans of Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Christopher Moore, and Josh Whedon.

Russ lives in West Orange, NJ, with his wife, two children, and crazy dog, Simon, who may in fact be an alien himself. Russ
More about Russ Colchamiro...

Finders Keepers (2 books)
  • Genius de Milo