Start by marking “Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)

Ice Run (Alex McKnight #6)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,402 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Alex McKnight is in love. Even though he met Natalie Reynaud, an officer from the Ontario Provincial Police, under difficult circumstances, they share a common bond of solitude, as well as the same nightmare - they’re both cops who buried their partners. It’s Alex’s first real relationship in years, which in some ways is terrifying. But Natalie has her own fears to deal wi ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published June 1st 2004 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Ice Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Run

Andrew
Darn you, Steve Hamilton!!

How am I supposed to get any work done around the house once I've started one of your Alex McKnight novels?? (*) They are almost impossible to put down, and Ice Run is no exception.

Who knew that there was so much mystery to mine in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?? (Yeah, OK, Henry Kisor & Joseph Heyward did, but we'll leave them to reviews of their own works.) Even if you do occasionally foray across the border into southwestern Ontario? Yes, your characters - Alex
Jennie
We listened to this as an audiobook on the drive up to Mackinac for summer vacation. I freely admit the narrator (whose name eludes me) didn't help the book's case, but here's my review, in summary.

Oh, my, GOD. She looked at me with THOSE EYES. GOD DAMMIT ALL! Son of A bitch. Good guy! Bad guy! Family feud! THOSE EYES! Blood. Blood! Spinning! THOSE EYEEEES! That face! GOD DAMMIT ALL!

Perhaps if I'd read other books in the series, the characters might've resonated more; I suspect that, overall, th
Roberta
I've read all the books in the series and I'm starting to feel like Alex McKnight is a real person.

There is a paragraph in this book that I marked to quote.

"I'd known enough liars in my life. You can't be a cop without meeting plenty of them. For the worst of them, the truly hopeless born liars, maybe this is how it all starts, by keeping a tight lid on your own secrets. By never revealing the truth about yourself. When you've learned to control the truth, then you can start bending it. Just a
Matt Allen
I think it's safe to classify me as a fan of Steve Hamilton's by now. Ice Run is money in the bank and is a good example of why.

The Alex McKnight series has created memorable characters and locales that are so easy to fit right back into, a warm glove. The series (and Ice Run) has a pitch-perfect balance of setting, plot, and dialogue. The pace crackles but doesn't move so fast that you can't feel the cold in your bones, the intrigue of the plot, and the emotion of the characters. In fact, there
wally
1st from hamilton for me. ice run, (alex mcknight, #6). paperback, 2004...dedicated to nonna and donna

story begins:
in a land of hard winters, the hardest of all is the winter that fills you with false hope. it's the kind of winter that starts out easy. you get the white christmas, but it's a light snow, six inches tops, the stuff that makes everything look like a postcard. the sun comes out during the day. you can take your coat off if you're working hard enough. the nights are quiet. the stars
Jon
An exciting page-turner, but not up to the usual standards of the series. Motives, characters, and plot are just a touch too unbelievable for me. Alex has gotten himself beat-up a few too many times, and Natalie has just gotten annoying as his eager-then-reluctant girlfriend. Still, the cold, stormy, remote, life-threatening Upper Peninsula is almost a character in itself, and scary as it is, it's far less dangerous than that dark, ocean-sized lake out there.
Richard Brand
it is not clear how the romance will end. The couple were together at the end of the book. But it is open ended meaning Hamilton can get a different girl friend for his hero if he needs one. It is in a James Lee Burke style. Independent guy. Ex cop. Doesn't always think first. Has some very loyal and helpful friends. Hero gets beat up badly. This is a love interest. The Grant boys get the raw end of the deal all the way around. The Deus ex machina of a solution is a video tape. I wanted to finis ...more
Mary Sue
What possesses me to read Steve Hamilton's books in the winter? Set in the UP if Michigan and Ontario there is enough snow, wind and ice for three Iowa winters. And that is saying a lot. I think I liked this one best of the series. Personally I think a major star of this series is Alex's truck. He takes it out in the worst weather and puts an enormous number of miles on it.
Harry Roger Williams III
Weird, strange, bizarre - not just the precipitating event but the extended families of bad guys and the history that resonates into the present. Arrayed against this is our flawed hero, Alex McKnight, with his character and courage, and his few friends, solid but merely human. Keeping up with them is exhausting but rewarding - rewarding as always.
Franchesca
Dec 07, 2012 Franchesca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love their crime/suspense book with a touch of romance
Recommended to Franchesca by: my uncle? who gave this book as a xmas gift for me?
Shelves: whodunit-plots
For some reason, it reads like a romance novel which incidentally is also a crime/thriller novel. Critics have written that Hamilton has written it in a masculine way though for the life of me I couldn't see how. I'm glad though that he did not create a simpering woman for his male protagonist (who I think is rather wise and mature, in an oddly hilarious way. I understand though that not everyone would see it the same way I do) who did not faint at the merest sound. I have to say though that the ...more
Dean W
Even though this is the 6th of the Alex McKnight book series it was the first book I read and it was not the last Steve Hamilton book I read. I continued to read another three of his books because I really enjoyed this first one, "Ice Run", and with each book I continued to learn about Alex McKnight even more. When you think things can't get any worse for one person in life they get worse for Alex McKnight. He is confronted by an elderly man he doesn't remember by the elderly man sure does. Bein ...more
Brian Clapper
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in ...more
Annthelibrarian
Alex McKnight has a new girlfriend, Natalie, a woman who is an Ontario Provincial Police officer. Their relationship is very sudden, very intense. But of course if you’ve read previous books in the series you know that Alex is going to find his way to trouble- and as often as not through no fault of his own. This time trouble begins at the Ojibway Hotel in Sault St. Marie, Michigan (the Soo) when an old man watches Alex while he’s there with Natalie. Later he delivers a hat to them saying, “I kn ...more
Kirk
Alex McKnight is not the brightest (or luckiest) hero of a mystery series, and this story has him getting beat up and shot at too many times to be believable. Well written but convoluted story.
Marianne

After the winter we have just had, this book shivered me all the way to my bones!
Sheesh, why would anybody want to live in Sault St. Marie?

Great book.
Robin Jonathan Deutsch
I am a big fan of Steve Hamilton and am working my way through the entire Alex McKnight series. I've liked them all ... they are generally quick and interesting read. Perhaps there are simply too many of them and they start to run together, but this one just didn't pass the test for me. It seemed a little forced to me, a bit contrived, a bit too much. I have two more to read and they'll be on a summer day when I want to get a quick read done at the beach.

That said, Hamilton's Lock Artist is one
Laura Shannon
My least favorite of this series so far, but it was still pretty good.
John
Gotta love the U.P.
Kitty Myers
I am being generous giving ICE RUN 3 stars. I do so because I love the characters and especially the location. (I am in the process of re-reading the whole series.) But this story seemed forced; it didn't ring true. I have never cared for the character of Natalie, and I grew to hate her while reading ICE RUN. I'm sure Steve Hamilton began with the germ of a good idea here, then something went wrong. Maybe he was blocked or hurried, or maybe he ran out of ideas. Whatever; the story just didn't wo ...more
Jackie
Alex is so easy to like. I want to read more!
Alicia
I absolutely love this series! :)
Sandy D.
A good mystery set mostly in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan for those who don't know) and adjacent Ontario. Hamilton gets the atmosphere just right, and the characters are interesting and the story has lots of suspense and fascinating historic tidbits.

It was also fun to read about Mackinac Island in February, with people snowmobiling across the lake to get to the all but deserted resort in the summer in Michigan when all the tourists are lining up to buy fudge.
Lacorota
It's just good to re-visit familiar characters: Alex, Vinnie, Jackie et. Al. Hamilton, again, does a superb job of bringing the Michigan U.P. landscape into the story. Without it, it'd be lifeless. If you need something to cool off a hot summer, read Ice Run. Glad Alex FINALLY found a woman to go crazy over.

It's great seeing the author's gradual change with each successive installment. Either I've adapted, or his style seems far smoother than the first book.
Lisa
I found myself absolutely lost in this book and as the story progressed, I couldn't wait to get to the end. I was however, so disappointed with the ending! I have so many unanswered questions from the plot. The author built the story with many twists and turns, and my impression is that it was all wrapped up too quickly in the last 50 pages. I would still give Steve Hamilton another try though, not sure which of his books I may come across yet...
Donald Baker
This book followed what I considered the best of the series. And this one is the worst of the series by far.

Alex and his girlfriend drive all over the UP chasing one lead or crisis after another. He runs the wheels of his truck driving. I kept telling myself that if he gets in that truck one more time I will stop reading. Of course I didn't. This one was not a quick read like the others. It drug on and the plot was contrived.
Stefani
I enjoyed the basic plotline and found myself wanting to continue read until all hours. That being said, I think the author overdid it quite a bit with the mushy love parts. I love a good romance, but this is definitely not one. I really could have done without all G** D****t's too! Juast unneccessary. )f course, I will finish out the rest of the books in the series because I really do enjoy this authoir and character!
Caro
I continue to look forward to each book in this series, despite the fact that the plots are getting a bit contrived, and in this one poor Alex gets beaten up almost as much as Jack Reacher. The mysteries are not solved so much as revealed at some length by various characters. But I like these for the Great Lakes setting and for the series characters, particularly poor hapless Leon and loyal Vinnie.
Kim
Another great read. Again, the whole getting beat up by jackasses in the bar is getting a little old, and to me it was quite obvious who was behind the whole thing, and 2 police officers in the book couldn't figure it out until it hit them in the face??? find that a little hard to believe, but still like the book, read it in 2 days and can't wait to pick up his next book at the library
Julie
Just when I thought things were looking up for Alex.
Doctorwu51
3.5- I found book #6 in the Alex McKnight series to be an entertaining read; unlike some others, I don't think that this is a series where you can easily jump in without reading the prior entries. The author sure does know his way around the cold & snow! It's amazing how much trouble the main character in this series can find while living alone in the middle of nowhere.
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #2)
  • Trickster's Point (Cork O'Connor, #12)
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • At the City's Edge
  • A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry, #3)
  • The Hanging Tree (Starvation Lake, #2)
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
LET IT BURN, the next Alex McKnight novel, coming Summer 2013
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (10 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
The Lock Artist A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1) Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5) Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8) Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)