Start by marking “Bij de boomgaard” as Want to Read:
Bij de boomgaard

Bij de boomgaard (Little House: The Rose Years #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,840 ratings  ·  31 reviews

Eight going on nine, Rose Wilder is beginning to settle into her new life in Missouri, the Land of the Big Red Apple. Her father is building their farmhouse and she dreams of the day they'll have their own bright crop to harvest. But before that can happen, she has a fierce ice storm to contend with and her first real Christmas in the Ozarks to enjoy.

215 pages
Published 1996 by Ploegsma (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bij de boomgaard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bij de boomgaard

Katie
I've been saving my reviews of the non-Laura Ingalls stories until the end of each series. I just can't seem to hold back with this book, though.

The first two books in the Rose Wilder series was very promising. In fact, I liked the second better than the first one. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with this book.

Truthfully, and I will be completely honest, this one was absolute torture for me to read. I actually considered stopping it when I got to the halfway point. I disliked it that much. Y
Sarina
The only thing that disappoints me about these books is Laura, now mother to Rose, has lost a lot of her spirit. I've always thought Ma was stern and solemn, but now I feel Laura is taking on a more bitter form of that role. Now, compared to Laura, Ma seems humorous and happy. I feel Laura is harsher on Rose because she sees so much of the parts she hated about herself in Rose. There was a time when Rose was speaking about the injustice of her new teacher and the pranks the kids were playing on ...more
Mary-Jane
During fall vacation from school, Rose helps with the various farm harvests. The harvesting of molasses is explained, and molasses is used as sugar by the locals (as imported white cane sugar is expensive). Honey is also used as sugar, but is usually a treat. Hired hand Abe shows how to "course" bees to find a hive. The local rules say that whoever finds a hive may have the honey, even if the hive is on someone else's land. A big ice storm causes damage to farms and livestock in the area, and Ro ...more
Heidi
I suppose it was good that I was reading this "side" of Missouri because my limited experiences there were NOT pleasant.
Gale
“GROWING HEALHTY APPLES AND CHILDREN”

Written by the adopted grandson of Laura Ingalls Wilder this book chronicles a year in the life of young Rose Wilder. The family has survived their first year in the Ozarks, after their long move East from the prairie to a place they call Rocky Ridge Farm. In this 3rd book in the RR series Rose is almost nine, coping with conflicting loyalties to girlfriends (country versus town girls) and feeling the faint stirrings of jealousy. Throughout extremes of weat
The other John
With a title like that, you'd think this book was some sort of fantasy novel, maybe one where a kid falls into a world of good nutrition or something. Well, it's not. Instead, this is the 3rd volume of the Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years series. The story of the Wilder family continues, describing life on their farm in the Ozarks and the events in their lives. It's enjoyable reading, though nothing outstanding. One thing I noticed in this one is some of the subtle differences between Mr. Mac ...more
Tiny Mendoza
Since I've read the entire Little House/The Laura Years & the first two books from The Rocky Ridge/The Rose Years last year, I've been itching to grab a copy of this book for a long time now. I seriously can't find a copy in bookstores or even online, secondhand or brand new (well except for Amazon, but duh I can't order from Amazon). But when I went to Manila with my aunt last Monday, I found out that she has the next two installments from the series! And the thing was, she gave the first t ...more
Paul Lunger
The 3rd book in the Rose Years takes us through the end of 1895 & into the Summer of 1896. Through the events of this year we see the farm on Rocky Ridge have a semi-prosperous year as the Wilder family survives an ice storm, the holidays, & the building of a new house. Along the way we have the budding romance between Abe & Effie Stubbins & the jealousy with Rose in addition to following along the everyday hardships & daily routines of life at the close of the 19th century. ...more
Leanne Aurelio
This is the first book I owned. I had it when we were strolling in the mall and there were bargained books placed in the middle of the Department Store. The cover really attracted me. And it turned out to be a really good story. It’s one of my favorites.
I really don’t know why but I have this strong liking for farm life. :)
So I searched for it online and I found in one of the previews their pictures and their family tree. Unfortunately, those weren’t included in my book.
It’s really amazing to kn
Emily
Not as good as Laura Ingalls Wilder's novels but it's great to see what happens to Laura even after her novels stop.
Lauri
I like the Rose years. I wonder if there was anyone in particular that Abe and Swiney were based on.
Kacey Kendrick Wagner
Lots of fun details in this book! How to find a beehive, how to make molasses, riding a donkey for the first time, surviving Missouri ice storms, how to move an addition off of one house onto another, etc. Those explanations are the best part about these books, in my opinion.

My favorite story lines are Rose learning about the Spirit of Christmas, Rose & Blanche's friendship, and Abe & Swiney pretty much joining the family, and what happens when Rose tells a lie. :)

Plus, Rocky Ridge Farm
Vincent Tang
Contains Santa spoiler. Be ready for some 'splainin'.
Emily Hunholz
I still really liked “In the Land of the Big Red Apple” but not as much as I liked “Little Farm in the Ozarks.” It had a lot more internal monologue—Rose gets her first crush. It wasn’t too annoying, but it didn’t fit as well with the style of the original Little House series. Nonetheless, I still LOVE the Wilder family and can’t get enough of their stories.
Emily
I love the rose series. I reread them all the time. I love how this book describes how the Wilders are expanding their farm. There are a lot of little adventures that Rose has. She gets to go to town for the Fourth of July celebration, she gets her own donkey, enjoys the Christmas spirit, learns how to find a beehive, and gets to go to a wedding.
Jenn
She "quick" did this and he "quick" did that. Ugh, what a jarring way to write. Like the other two books in the series, I found this dull and lacking any real conflict. I enjoy reading about what time was like back in those days but there's very little excitement that belongs in a good story.
Elaine
We really enjoyed this one. Rose did a bit of growing up, and learned a lot of good lessons about friendship and honesty. It also was a big year in the Wilder household as things started looking up for them, after struggling for many years, so it made me happy to read about that.
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 Gl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled. Though I have to admit, the "Rose Years" are my least favorite.
Carolyn
Being a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan as a kid, it's a treat to continue on and read about her daughter's life in the late 1800's. I'm enjoying this and it's low stress.
Steph
Excellent story full of good references and good times back during those days! All ages should read this book, not only young adults!
Clwaddoups
I loved reading the continuing lives of Laura Ingalls and her daughter Rose, with my daughter.
Kasey
I liked this one but it took me a while to finish. Great part of the series.
Kirsten
I'm really enjoying this series, learning about Rose's life.
Jessica Mitchell
I fell in love with this book in the first chapter!
Beth
I might of read it some other time, I just don't remember.
Amanda
Mrs. (Lori) Cummings gave this to me in Grade 3.
Paige
Jan 23, 2010 Paige is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good and I think it is so cute.
Sadie
Continues to be enjoyable.
Star
Jan 30, 2013 Star marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
How can read the book?
Paige
This book is so cute
  • The Far Side of the Loch (Little House: The Martha Years, #2)
  • Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • Young Pioneers
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
MacBride called himself "the adopted grandson" of writer and political theorist Rose Wilder Lane, the daughter of writer Laura Ingalls Wilder, and as such laid claim to the substantial Ingalls-Wilder's literary estate, including the "Little House on the Prairie" franchise. He is the author of record of three additional "Little House" books, and began the "Rocky Ridge Years" series, describing the ...more
More about Roger Lea MacBride...

Little House: The Rose Years (8 books)
  • Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1)
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)
  • Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • On the Banks of the Bayou (Little House: The Rose Years, #7)
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1) Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5) Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2) On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4) New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)