Stalking Darkness

Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  6,243 ratings  ·  206 reviews
With the Leran threat laid to rest, Alec and Seregil are now able to turn their attention to the ancient evil which threatens their land. The Plenimarans, at war with Skalans, have decided to defeat their ancient enemy by raising up the Dead God, Seriamaius. The early attempts at this reincarnation--masterminded by the sinister Duke Mardus and his sorcerous minion Vargul A...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Spectra (first published February 3rd 1997)

Troy G
I'm of two minds about this book.

It is good fantasy adventure. There is a good pace to the adventure, and while some of the world may have been a bit foggier than other books in this genre, I did enjoy the quests, magic, and intrigue.

HOWEVER, I was really, really bothered by the romantic relationship between the two main characters. It isn't about the homosexual part of it (though that did suprise me when I was 16). The problem I had with this was the age and social maturity difference between...more
Jennn
I like the characters, I do. They change and develope. I also like how Flewelling will revisit things, too, like the death of Alec's father. Things aren't just swept under the rug and I appreciate that.

I also appreciate how Seregil and Alec's relationship isn't the focus of the story that unfortunately happens too much in romance, especially homoerotica. The book is more dedicated to the story and in doing so, makes their relationship realistic and believable.

The biggest complaint I have is maki...more
Kathryn
I can sum this up in essentially the same way I did with Luck: They have lots of adventures and kick lots of butt. And they also fall in love with each other, but Seregil has a crisis of conscience because Alec is still pretty young, and Alec is just plain confused by what he feels for Seregil, so neither of them say anything.

Saying anymore than that would spoil it if you haven't read it, really.

There's no real social commentary going on with the two main characters falling for each other, unl...more
Ayanna
I'm guilty of breaking off in the middle of reading and coming back to this one a lot later.

It made reading awkward. I was no longer into the whole intrigue thing and just waiting for Alec and Seregil to become lovers.

Still, I kind of got back into the whole web of intrigue that was happening. It's exceedingly well-crafted. I like that it's not so explicit I can't walk around with this and not be afraid some kid might accidentally read over my shoulder or pick this up.

Welp. Onto bk 3...
April
Deserves lots of GIFS!

Better than the first, in my opinion. Maybe it's just because the story is more engaging for me this time round
...and I've grown more attached to the characters, which, I know, is
Though the writing isn't necessarily what I would usually read (I find it kind of heavy sometimes), it's well suited for this type of book. It's just colossal amounts of fun. The world Flewelling has spun is wondrous and enchanting; a pleasure to dive into. This series is seriously underrated....more
Shortlatte
Philip
This book continues with all the best parts of Luck in the Shadows. Alec, Seregil, Micum, Nysander and everyone continue to be amazing, for the most part.

Most of the plot that was built up in the first book but not finished there is resolved in this one. As it's all starting to come together, the writing does a fantastic job of building the tension and giving feelings of impending doom without the excessive obviousness or clumsyness of some stories/movies. Then about two thirds in it takes a sha...more
Sath
I enjoyed this second part, much better than the first book in the nightrunner series.
I believe I was let down by the first book because I wasn't at all drawn in by Seregil's character, he appeared too perfect to me; he had fame, money, knowledge, skills, charisma, good looks, loyal friends etc. It seemed nothing could go wrong for this character, he was too well set up. And poor Alec was continually left behind by Seregil, I always feel resentful when a main character in a book is blinded to th...more
Charlotte
This review is for the first three volumes of the Nightrunner Series, it does however exclude the following volumes, which in my opinion differ strongly from the first 3.

I realise I find it hard to start writing a review for these books. The first three volumes of the Nightrunner Series are definately part of my favorite books ever. Within the genre of fantasy, they set such high standarts that many other books appear shallow beside them. The books are full of great and often innovative plot ide...more
Charles
Stuff I Read - Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling Review

I was quite excited to read this book, having liked the first of the series, and the story did not let me down. Continuing rather directly on the heels of the first Nightrunner book, this one found Alec and Seregil recovering and continuing on Alec's training. It's a bit of a slow build in the beginning, with much of the first two thirds of the book dominated with more covert missions, more skullduggery that was present in the first. It w...more
Shelby
I’m wavering a little on how to rate this one. I enjoyed this book very much and rated against itself I’d give it 5 stars. But place it up against my favorite fantasy series’ (Valdemar/Pern/Shanara/Black Jewels etc.) and it falls a little short. I don’t even know why it doesn’t hook me as deeply. I enjoyed the story immensely as I was reading it. Somehow though I just know it’s not one of those that I’ll remember every little detail of the way I do my all time favorites.

Alec and Seregil are rec...more
Jesse
I thought that the story of Alec and Seregil couldn't possibly get any better than in the first installment (Luck in the Shadows) but man...Stalking Darkness was all that, and ten times stronger.

I read the last two hundred pages all at once, unable to put it down, not wanting to do anything else until I finished the book, and at the same time never wanting it to end. I already have the third book right here next to me, and I'll waste no time in diving into it.

(view spoiler)...more
Bryan
I love things that surprise me. I've been around the block a time or
two and have a perception of people and things honed from years of
studying trends, people, and why things are the way they are. Most of
the movies that I watch are usually because they surprise me in some
fashion, whether it be new and innovative ideas, a different approach
to a usual topic, or what have you. I'm rather limited when it comes to books because I spent so many years simply not reading. Still, over time I've come to ha...more
Trix
Such a gripping story. I am an avid fan of sword play, magic and perilous adventures. And this book delivers them all.

I had started "Luck in the Shadows" only assuming it was a one volume story, containing a light plot to encompass the romantic entanglement between Seregil and Alec. I was proven wrong on both accounts. The book turned out to be the first of 5 (as of yet) published volume) with only a slight derail in acknowledging the romantic development between the two men.

[spoiler ahead]While...more
Rhianon
Aug 30, 2009 Rhianon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of high fantasy
Every bit as good as the first volume, Flewelling doesn't disappoint. Less incidence of info-dumping -- it's readily apparent that her writing style is improving, without sacrificing the voice and authenticity of her characters.

One of the most poignant scenes for me in this book was the death of one of two twin brothers. Gut injury in a battle leaves him dying slowly in his brother's arms in the medical tent, surrounded by members of his platoon. He was far from a prominent character in the tale...more
Caroline
This is just as addictive a read as Luck in the Shadows, with plenty of action and adventure, this time concentrating way more on the necromancer plot that was the first half of Luck (but later was taken over by the Leran plot). The creepiness aspect was excellent, and this is a much darker-feeling book than Luck was.

At the same time, the character development is so excellent. I loved the slow growth of the romance, which was sweet and touching compared to so many romantic subplots. I don't ofte...more
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

In this mesmerizing follow-up to "Luck in the Shadows", Seregil and his companion, Alec, attempt to erase an ancient evil from their land. The danger unfolds as a raging battle results in the reincarnation of an old god bent on destruction. Now, an age-old prophecy points to Seregil's continued role in stopping this threat, even as it leads him on a deadly journey of terror and intrigue.

My Thoughts:

Awesome sequel. The world has been well established and it turns out that picking up that...more
Contrarius
This book was often very frustrating for me. As I mentioned in my review for the first volume of the series, I'm seriously underwhelmed by Llewelling's writing ability. Her prose seems very.....elementary? basic? blunt?.....to me. There's no special talent at description or emotion or any real grace at all.

So why is that especially frustrating here? Well, unlike the first volume (Luck in the Shadows), there were many moments in this book that I thought **could** have been very dramatic and movin...more
Sineala
Still one of my favorites in the series and in fantasy in general. I just find this book really comforting. It takes on the evil-magic plot left hanging at the end of the last book, all the way through an epic (and angst-filled) resolution. I really like how, even though this falls neatly into the everyone-is-bi (or at least okay with the possibility) fantasy trope, it's not just about being queer, but nonetheless you really want Seregil and Alec to end up happy together.

Sure, it's still not the...more
Snowtulip
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I devoured this book! This is what storytelling is!

It's been a while since I had to stay up all night to read a book, sure I might stay up late with some books, but this one I had to stay up until I was finished with this book.

What an absolutely wonderful balance between world building, character development and plot. It had politics, legends, betrayals, friendship, and grief. The tale was riveting, dynamic, and came together seamlessly.

Absolutely recommend and can't wait to...more
Macpudel
I thought I would warm up to the two main characters, Seregil and Alec, in this second book in the series. Unfortunately, I enjoyed Stalking Darkness less than Luck in the Shadows. In Luck in the Shadows, the main challenge for our heroes was a political threat. In Stalking Darkness, the adversary is from another country, yes, but is pure Ee-vil. These evil folks have no motivation other than the promise of total world domination, but they are not very strategic about it. We spend quite a bit of...more
Christykay Kasper
I loved this Book. It was very difficult to get through. One of the main character is tormented in terrible ways for a long portion. I loved the added point of view of Beka in the second book and hope to see more of her in the rest. I loved adventures in this book and of course the developing relationship of the two main characters.
I rather enjoy the world Lynn Flewelling has created. Looking forward to the third book in the series.
Jody Nightbow
This series is so vexing. I like the world and the premise, and the way it's both innovative and sort of traditional alterna-medieval fantasy is all well and good. But it's uneven, and the plot lurches from delightful to hackneyed, and glosses too many key scenes that a better writer would turn into jewels. She squanders the emotional scenes too often on weak dialogue. What else? Well, the characters are endearing. They're also pretty weakly drawn...but I loooove them, you know? It's a comic boo...more
Judy Goodwin
The first book of the series was pretty good--I liked the two main characters and there was good action and intrigue. This book by far surpasses the first book, both in the depth of the plot and in development of the characters. The reader gets to experience the transition in Alec from a boy to a young man who by the end loses all innocence (both in good ways and bad). Seregil goes from a simple happy-go-lucky rogue to someone with a great deal more depth. I also enjoyed the introduction of Kari...more
Tonileg
We continue the story of Serengil of Rhiminee and his new apprentice Alec of Kerry only a few weeks after the crazy finale in Luck in the Shadows so we keep the fast paced mysteries that surround the politics in this crazy town with war coming very soon. Serengil and Alec haven't only known each other for a few months but they are very close and trusting, but that is going to be tested when powerful dangerous secrets are floating around without revealing themselves.
Lots of butt kicking, unfortun...more
Auden Johnson
I finished this book days ago, but I hadn't had time to review it. I so wanted to review it. This is another amazing book by Flewelling. I seriously read it in like a couple of days. Stalking Darkness was one of those books I didn't want to finish. I just couldn't stop reading. I had so many moments where I just had to go back and reread a paragraph or sentence. The scenes were that amazing.

I was a bit annoyed with the Beka chapters. I mean, I like her, but at first, I didn't care about what wa...more
Alex
Apr 21, 2014 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers who think women are overrated
For the most part, I really liked Stalking Darkness, and am more than happy to continue with the series. However, of the two that I have currently read, I consider it to be the weaker. The characters were still was vibrant and exciting as I would of hoped, and, for the most part, the plot, when it DID eventually get going was a gripping read too. However, for the first quarter of the book, I somewhat bemusedly found myself reading through what I personally feel was less than the exciting standar...more
Charlie
I’m currently part-way through the third Nightrunner book, Traitor’s Moon but I’m going at a slow pace and since I bought this book today so I could re-read it, I thought I’d write a review to re-cap how awesome it is.

Stalking Darkness finalises the plot established in the first Nightrunner book. The series continues on with a different story involving the same characters but the major conflicts faced in Luck in the Shadows and Stalking Darkness are encapsulated within those two books alone.

I ha...more
Monica Dias
I have no ideia why I'm loving this series as much as I am. No ideia at all. Because it's not that good, actually. The writing is bland, the situations as clichéd, and the author doesn't seem to fully know what she's doing. Well, at least that's what the first instalment of the Nightrunner series was like in my opinion. However, I did see some potential in the series and in the characters, and I hoped that in the second book somethings would've been improved, and for the most part, I was right....more
Anka
5/5 ★

I enjoyed Stalking Darkness even more than Luck in the Shadows, which I gave 5/5 stars, as well, so I think it's pretty evident that I loved it.

If I have to highlight flaws, I'd say some of the technical incongruities that I mentioned in my review of Luck in the Shadows remain the same. Also, some of the passages in Beka's point of view dragged on a bit, mostly because I wanted to find out what was happening with Alec and Seregil, but I still adored the book. These were all small flaws, and...more
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • The Fire's Stone
  • The God Eaters
  • Swordspoint (Riverside, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Strange Fortune
  • Bound (Kria, #2)
Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, #1) The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1) Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3) The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3) Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)

“So I might have to marry Alec when I'm grown," Illia was prattling across to Seregil. "I hope that won't hurt your feelings too much."

Seregil slapped a hand over his heart like a troubadour in a mural. "Ah, fair maiden, I shall slay a thousand evil dragons for you, and lay their steaming black livers at your dainty feet, if only you will restore me to your favor."

"Livers!" Illia buried her face against Alec's shoulder with an outraged giggle.
"You wouldn't bring me livers, would you, Alec?"

"Of course not," Alec scoffed. "What a disgusting present. I'd bring you the eyeballs for a necklace, and all their scaly pointed tongues to tie your braids with.”
28 likes
“It was Alec who brought their lips together.

Seregil's first reaction was disbelief. But Alec was insistent, clumsy but determined. It lasted an instant, an eternity, that one awkward kiss, and it spoke silent volumes of bewildered honesty.

The moment that followed was too fragile for words.”
21 likes