Start by marking “Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)” as Want to Read:
Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)

Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear #4)

Paddington gets himself into one scrape after another on a family trip to France, including accidentally winning the Tour de France bicycle race.
Published August 3rd 1973 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington Abroad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington Abroad

Christina
This is the fourth book in the Paddington series and although I really liked it, it wasn't quite as good as the first three. However, if I had read this one as the second book about our little friend from the Darkest Peru, it would probably have gotten more stars. The thing is, by now you are used to Paddington getting in all the trouble possible to get into. So even though this book is about Paddington going to France, there isn't much new in it.

Still - it is amusing to read about Paddington pr
A.E. Shaw
Nov 15, 2012 A.E. Shaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012

Something I picked up to read before bed, short chapters, so low effort, and I used to love the Paddington stories when I was little. I'm very gratified to find that I still love them just as much, and that they're written in such a way as to be just as delightful and entertaining to adults as to children. Also, the illustrations are an infinite joy. I look forward to catching up with all the other Paddington books.
Anna
May 02, 2017 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, children, 2017
Nigdy nie byłam fanką Kubusia Puchatka, a dzięki dzieciom dowiedziałam się, że Miś Paddington także nie znalazł miejsca w moim sercu. Chyba mam ogólnie problem z misiami, a może tylko z brytyjskimi misiami? Nie wiem. Najważniejsze jednak, że synowi książki się podobały i namawiał mnie stale na kontynuację lektury. Co ciekawe, córce Paddington też nieszczególnie przypadł do gustu.

Paddington to dziwak jakich mało. Przybywa do Wielkiej Brytanii z mrocznych zakątków Peru, całkiem sam. Na szczęście m
Rosemary Sullivan
Jun 20, 2014 Rosemary Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Oh, it is so much fun to go on vacation with Paddington! There's never a dull moment. He loves to try new things and has such a zest for life. His plans go awry, but it's okay because Paddington is a bear who always lands on his paws.

In this book we go with him to France. It is not bustling Paris, which I am more familiar with from pop culture, but Brittany, on the northwest coast of the country. Paddington's adventures take place in the rugged, beautiful countryside of that region. He cooks ove
Mar 26, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Paddington's adventures continue, with one subtle difference. After three books of Paddington misunderstanding the basic day-to-day life of post-war Britain, most of this book is taken up with the Browns' holiday in France. For the first time, the child reader misses out on much of the vicarious pleasure of being "ahead" of Paddington, and Michael Bond seems to try and compensate by making his little calamities overly simplistic and even stereotyped. It's all as gentle and sweet as usual but som ...more
Mark
Another collection of the (mis)adventures of Paddington Bear. This time, the running theme of the book is Paddington's first family holiday with the Browns over to France. Needless to say, this gives plenty of opportunity for mishaps and confusion along the way (starting with trouble at the airport with Paddington's passport and ending with Paddington inadvertently winning a stage of the Tour De France - with intervening escapades at the local fete and on a yacht sandwiched in between).
As delig
Ma
Feb 18, 2017 Ma rated it it was ok
Read in German

Der vierte Paddigton Band bei dtv Junior
Paddington ist in großer Aufregung: Er soll nämlich mit der Familie Braun in die Ferien fahren. Dazu gehören natürlich viele Reisevorbereitungen. Wer Paddington kennt, weiß, dass sie nicht ohne Hindernisse ablaufen. Auch im Urlaubsland sorgt unser Bär wieder für Überraschungen.......

Meine Meinung:
Man merkt dem Buch sein Alter an, durch die längst vergangene Zeit die dort beschrieben wird. Damals waren eine Reise, ganz besonders eine Flugreise
Mary
Dec 02, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Brown's are going on holiday and Paddington is planning the trip.
Will things go to plan?
Never a dull moment where Paddington is concerned.
Wonderful stories which are still popular with young readers.
I loved it all over again.
Alexander Geronzin
Feb 23, 2017 Alexander Geronzin rated it it was amazing
While it is true that this is intended for younger audiences I whole heartedly suggest that people revisit these stories for a shot of simplicity and a brief spot of nostalgia!
JanetM
Aug 08, 2015 JanetM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming children's story, but little else...

So I have had this book sitting on the shelf for the past nine years, and as one may imagine, I have since grown a lot. Still though, one can never be too old to read a children's book, and I can appreciate books now much better than I could have then... I think. At any rate, Paddington Abroad is a charming children's story, but little else.

In this petit volume, there are seven stories which make up Paddington's holiday in France; meaning seven mish
Aylea
Mar 07, 2016 Aylea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review published at The Children's Book and Media Review run by Brigham Young University.

When Mr. Brown announces that the family will be going to France for their summer holiday, Paddington is excited to take his first real holiday, especially when he is put in charge of the itinerary. He decides that going on holiday is a special occasion so he takes money out of the bank, gets stuck talking to customs over some confusion about a passport, makes a meal of escargot for the family, visits a
Книжни Криле
Мечето Падингтън е един от най-емблематичните герои на британската детска литература! Рунтавият любител на сандвичите с мармалад, създаден от писателя Майкъл Бонд, днес е един от символите на Великобритания, наред с Биг Бен, кралските гвардейци и червените автобуси. По популярност му съперничи единствено Мечо Пух! Макар и вече на близо 60 години, Падингтън винаги запазва присъщата си детска невинност и вродено любопитство. Прочетете интервюто на "Книжни Криле":

Teresa Edmunds
This is a 2015 release of the 1961 story. Since the recent movie, more children are aware of cute little Paddington and his bear adventures. In this book, the Browns and Paddington go on holiday to France. As always, Paddington finds himself in the middle of many mishaps. From hanging from a rope at the top of a sailboat, to riding in the Tour de France, there is never a dull moment. Though some of the language of the book would be termed "old fashioned", children today will still feel endeared ...more
Tara Calaby
The Paddington stories are better suited to unrelated anecdotes than to more closely linked collections like this one. Setting it abroad lessens the appeal even more, because the entire point of him is a bear in a strange country, whereas this book takes all of the Browns to a strange country and something is lost in the process.

Still, there are worse things for little kids to read!
Nonethousand Oberrhein
From the mountains of Peru to London
This is a collection of Paddington's adventures with a foreign flavour: the clumsy, talking, marmalade-eating bear with a well-behaved but direct approach to life will have a holiday in France with his adoptive family! Children and grown-ups will enjoy the simple, but in their own way profound stories where he’ll endlessly get in trouble, but will always try his best to make things right for everyone. The series never gets old!

Seth
Sep 07, 2010 Seth rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this series (that which I read anyway). Though the writing is formulaic in nature and doesn't really change much, Paddington never disappoints. He is always getting into something in his ignorant, innocent fashion. These books aren't very deep or thought-provoking, but they make a good read for younger readers and those who enjoy plays on words. Very similar to series such as Miss Pickerel, Marty the Martian, Amelia Bedelia, etc.
Brie
Oct 09, 2016 Brie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, childrens
The Brown family take off on a family vacation for this one. Obviously, Paddington is up to his usual self. :)

Paddington makes a trip to the bank to withdraw his money, only to be upset that he can't have the exact same notes he gave them originally. He also runs into trouble at the airport, feeds the Browns snails, visits a fortune teller and ends up playing with a band in a parade, tries his hand at sailing, and the book culminates with him riding a bicycle in the Tour de France race.
Kressel Housman
I remember devouring all the Paddington books in rapid succession as a girl, but after reading just two of them to my kids, I've had enough. In this one, Paddington and the Browns go on vacation to France. It's cute and parts of it made both the kids and me laugh, but how many bear misadventures can one adult take?
erica
Jan 13, 2016 erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you can't go wrong with paddington! he's fun! he's friendly! he's innocent! he gets into mischief that isn't really mischief at all! and there's marmalade!
fourth book in the series, read as a library review book (because i get to do that, yay), and it's just a fun book. very british, thankfully not americanised!!!
Eliza
Jan 14, 2017 Eliza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Paddington Bear stories are just always a pleasure to read. The subtleties in the writing and the sheer Britishness makes them even more enjoyable. In this one, Paddington goes on holiday to France and the national stereotypes are so much fun. Plus, even the Tour de France features!
Michelle Butler
We were discussing books to read our 4 yr old at bedtime when my husband discovered I hadn't read any Paddington books. He gave me a very hard stare and sent me straight to his bookshelf. This is 4th in the series and I think it might have been best to start on the 1st one but I still enjoyed it.
Christine
This fourth installment of Paddington's adventures follows the family's holiday in France. Unlike earlier books, this one felt much more like a full novel needing to be read in order rather than a collection of stories each with their own "chapter."
Marlee
Sep 23, 2012 Marlee rated it it was amazing
A lovely, funny book. Both of my children (ages 8 and 4) love Paddington and have for years. A great family book.

Rereading to my children who are 12 and 9 and the book is still so much fun. I enjoyed it even more than the first reading. My children loved it. So silly and funny.
Scott
Apr 27, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good old Paddington goes on holiday (who'd have thought it from the title).
The Brown's are heading to France, and as usual our little bear gets himself into all kinds of mischief involving customs, banks, a yacht, and even (view spoiler) the Tour de France.
Anie Things
Entrtenido, mucho mejor que el tercero (Paddington en apuros).
Beverly
Dec 28, 2011 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Poor Paddington, no matter what he does he always ends up in troubled outcomes that by different twists turn into being positive. He is a true bumbling hero of a bear.
Jessie
Jun 08, 2015 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Not quite as good as the others but still brilliant. It probably only got 4 stars because I missed Mr Gruber
Alice Myers
Feb 22, 2015 Alice Myers rated it really liked it
Perfect as a childrens bedtime story.
Michele
Oct 13, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paddington is up to his normal hijinks... but in France! Very cute and a great read aloud.
Iris
Feb 06, 2012 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mijn versie heet: de kleine beer gaat met vakantie. Leuk weer!
  • Lightfoot the Deer
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • The Legend of Sleeping Bear
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)
  • McDuff Saves the Day
  • God Gave Us Christmas
  • Poppleton Has Fun
  • Crictor
  • Tales of Peter Rabbit and His Friends
Michael Bond, CBE was an English children's author. He was the creator of Paddington Bear and wrote about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also wrote culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.
More about Michael Bond...

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington On Top (Paddington, #10)
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)

“Luckily he had found a piece of cloth on the balcony outside Mr Brown’s room and so he’d been able to clean off the worst of the dirt before getting down to the important job of taking it to pieces and polishing it.” 0 likes
“I’d like to leave all my interest in, please,” explained Paddington. “In case it rains.” “Well,” said the man in a superior tone of voice as he made some calculations on a piece of paper. “I’m afraid you won’t keep very dry on this. It only comes to ten pence.” “What!” exclaimed Paddington, hardly able to believe his ears. “Ten pence! I don’t think that’s very interesting.” “Interest isn’t the same thing as interesting,” said the man. “Not the same thing at all.” He tried hard to think of some way of explaining matters for he wasn’t used to dealing with bears and he had a feeling that Paddington was going to be one of his more difficult customers. “It’s… it’s something we give you for letting us borrow your money,” he said. “The longer you leave it in the more you get.” “Well, my money’s been in since just after Christmas,” exclaimed Paddington. “That’s nearly six months.” “Ten pence,” said the man firmly.” 0 likes