Start by marking “The Brushstroke Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Brushstroke Legacy

The Brushstroke Legacy

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  316 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Forbidden. Hidden. Denied. Can art be powerful enough to endure?

Ragni Clauson’s work, relationships, and body all seem to be falling apart. And she isn’t convinced that spending her vacation fixing up her great-grandmother’s cabin and supervising her rebellious teenage niece, Erika, will offer any much-needed rejuvenation.

As Ragni and Erika clean, they begin to uncover
Published February 4th 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published September 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Brushstroke Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brushstroke Legacy

Janice Dick
I enjoyed listening to this in audio format, especially moving from past to present. The leaps of time were clearly defined by the name of the lead character in each switch. Themes of doing vs being, achieving vs enjoying life, the important things in life, Alzheimers, teenage angst, art, all combined to create a book to remember.

The reader of the story did quite well, except I didn't like her male voices. All of them sounded stern and stiff, and sometimes made me think they were all old and me
Paula  Phillips
Mar 28, 2010 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Brushstroke Legacy- Lauraine Snelling - 2006

I didn't realise at first that this book was written a few years ago now , It only just arrived in my TBR ( To Be Read ) Pile recently. I had read some of Lauraine Snelling's books in the past and so when I discovered this one I was excited to read it. As like her previous books , Lauraine has a gift of weaving the past and present into novels . This is something , I personally either like or dislike depending how well the author has presented the
Dru
May 19, 2015 Dru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You might call this a double love story - one up-to-date and one in the past. But a very good book. Kept you reading to find out what was going to happen in each case. I would read another book by this author.
Sheila Van Dyke
Jun 12, 2014 Sheila Van Dyke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I would recommend this to anyone looking for good Christian fiction. I liked the continuous tire inn of the past with the present. Some parts were predictable but overall a good read.
Mbojar
Jan 26, 2016 Mbojar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay story - parallels of two distantly related women. VERY religious - lots of talking to God and putting things in his hands. While I don't disagree with that the book dragged for me.
Deb
Jul 17, 2015 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was our book club selection this month. Great story! Fast read :)
Melissa
Three women--two present day, one in 1906--who are in a cabin in North Dakota.
Kellie
May 18, 2008 Kellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Really made me think about all the fascinating women that are in my family that I don't know very much about (and probably should find out about). My only critique is that the first 3/4 of the book develop nicely, in detail and a slower pace, then the last 1/4 of the book just sums up every issue in like 10 pages. Would have liked it to be done in more detail and at a consistent rate. There were questions left unresolved, and more history on the family that could of b ...more
Lisa Rathbun
I was pretty bored by this book. Be prepared for lots of writing of things needed to buy down on lists. Topics are introduced to make this seem deeper than just a shallow romance - sabotauge at work, a dad with Alzheimer's, a rebellious gothic niece, paintings hidden behind a cupboard - but in the end, it was shallow *SPOILER* with her handsome new Christian neighbor asking him to marry her two weeks after they met. Blah.
Nancy
Nov 06, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction and this is one of my favorite authors because she is so great at telling what it was like in the little details to live in another era. I really liked this book until the end where I thought the author tried to wrap things up too quickly--it was like she had run out of time and had to hurry and finish. Several things were left unresolved. Maybe she's leaving it open for a sequel?
Rebekah
Dec 10, 2014 Rebekah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think Lauraine Snelling has had much better books than this one. It was definitely a good thought for a book but I felt like a lot of random fluff and listing things was in it. And being a religious Snelling fan I was thoroughly bored and severely disappointed in this book :(

Jennifer Henschel
I LOVE this book! A family in turmoil through no fault of their own, must sacrifice and come together to help each other out. Not only is the concept of family exhibited in their actions, but the meaning of faith is also shown by example. Snelling has another amazing book.
B.J.
May 23, 2012 B.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got lost in this story and found myself wanting to express myself through painting even though I've never painted anything in my life! Love the connection of generations of women - and the unveiling of the likenesses that carry through the family's bloodline.
Julie
Jan 04, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than most might just because I could relate to well to the main character. I too am an artist struggling to find my way. Lauraine blends all the characters together nicely and reading the past helps you with what is happening in the present.
Kristine
re-read. I love the juxtaposition of the two stories. There's just something special about how they intertwine that makes this book really interesting. I wish there were a sequel so we could learn how Ragni's family evolves from the events at the end.
Amy
Feb 19, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice read for the week. It was easy to read and get in a few chapters each night to help get my eyes tired. I love reading romance stories set in the old west times. This was another good one from Lauraine Snelling.
Mary Ann
Oct 14, 2011 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
When I started the book it didn't seem like it was one of Lauraine Snelling's books. I expected this book to be of pioneer days and it wasn't. She still included rural or small town living. It was different but still enjoyable.
Esther
Oct 13, 2011 Esther rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more modern christian romance setting with a parallel story from the main character's ancestor. Overall a good read, but still fairly predictable ending. I enjoyed the story line of the ancestor the most.
Marilyn
Nov 25, 2008 Marilyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marilyn by: Nancy Tregaskis
I can see why Nancy would like this. It's about an artist, and re-doing an ancestral cabin, and the beauty of nature. It also shows city people opening up to the beauties of nature.
Leedra
Aug 04, 2011 Leedra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the very first Lauraine Snelling book I read. It hooked me. Everything I have read by Lauraine Snelling has been great. Can't go wrong with this author.
Bertha
Apr 23, 2008 Bertha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauraine Snelling wonderfully interweaved the past with the present in this book about artists. A compelling story and a great read.
Melissa
Oct 14, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: library
a good, positive, Christian book.

Sometimes cumbersome with all the internal thoughts and list making.
Karen
Sep 17, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best books I have ever read. Highly recommend! All of her books are excemllent.
Sbugsy
Jul 23, 2009 Sbugsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the flow of the book and the descriptions were not too much.
Donna
Wonderful twist to carrying on a beautiful legacy. Thought provoking.
Barbi Phillips andrews
One of my all-time favorite Christian fiction novels.
Bobbi
Good book but a little hard to read.
Erin
Feb 13, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely LOVED this book!
Julie
Oct 21, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club

Very sappy.
Catherine Sandy
Jun 30, 2012 Catherine Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book.
  • Nosy in Nebraska (Maxie Mouse Mystery #1-3)
  • Amelia's Journey (Winds Across the Prairie, #.5)
  • God’s Handmaiden
  • Brides O' the Emerald Isle
  • A Stitch in Time: Basket Stitch/Double Cross/Spider Web Rose/Double Running
  • Angel of Mercy (Shannon Saga #3)
  • Yesterday's Embers (Clayburn, #3)
  • Unforgotten (The Michelli Family Series #2)
  • Tying the Knot (Deep Haven, #2)
  • Sundays in Fredericksburg
  • Patchwork Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #2)
  • Solemn Oath (Er Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadows on the Sand (Seaside Mysteries)
  • Alaska Brides
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...