Start by marking “Hedges” as Want to Read:
Hedges

Hedges

Plant Hedges

With the divorce rate steadily climbing and infidelity creeping into even the happiest marriages, in a society that trivializes adultery and its devastating effects, with temptation and opportunity coming at you from all directions-how can you keep your marriage from becoming a statistic?

The advice from best-selling author Jerry B. Jenkins is this:
plant prevent

Published May 27th 2005 by Crossway (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hedges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedges

Josh Miller
Aug 06, 2013 Josh Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife and I attempt to regularly read books on marriage. Some are better than others. However, all of the books on marriage that I have read over the years have always encouraged and helped me in my marriage. Professionals in all trades of life pursue a lifelong quest of learning and growing in their trade. Why do most married couples not continue in their learning and growing in this all important relationship of marriage??

I liked the frankness in which Jerry Jenkins writes this book. He was
Kent
May 21, 2015 Kent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: husbands
Shelves: marriage-family, 2015
I think husbands should occasionally read a book on marriage to remind them of what's most important, to reinvigorate them to loving their wives. We read books to sharpen us in business and to improve our golf game. Reading marriage books can improve our marriages. I know doing so has helped me to be more intentional about treating my wife with the respect she certainly deserves.

Hedges is one of those books that can help. The book's thesis is that because we live in such a sexually-charged cult
Jake Jordan
Mar 23, 2015 Jake Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's be honest. This is a book about lust. The biggest challenge for any man is to guard his eyes, hands and hearts from compromising situations. It is nearly impossible these days to avoid them entirely. So build yourself some habits and actions that will keep you safe from danger and frequently as possible.

Jerry does a nice job discussing his challenges openly without getting too lewd. He does toe that line, in a good way. Guys need to hear it straight!

For Wives: this is written for men, by a
Megan
Feb 06, 2016 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
While I'm not married, Jenkins does a great job valuing ideals and boundaries a lot of people would consider old school or irrelevant. Since I'm someone who's quick to shake my head and say, "Is it really that big a deal?" or say it's not my problem, his truthfulness was a solid reminder to me that we should protect the relationships we we've been blessed with, and we should express enjoyment over love and our families.
Michael
May 08, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This book would probably not have been of interest if I had not heard Jenkins speak at our church. I only knew of him from the "Left Behind" books (of which I am not a fan), and as co-writer on a sports autobiography or something. Anyway, he was a fantastic speaker, and very funny. The same practical, conversational, humorous tone characterizes this book.

Most will find his suggestions in "Hedges" to be utterly puritanical and a roadblock to the kind of mature, sincere trust that ought to be cult
Lady
Aug 26, 2013 Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jerry Jenkins has truly saved marriages with this simple, potent and of tremendous value book!

While on Missionary assignment in Nigeria in the late nineteen-nineties, GOD compelled a dear sister to gift us a copy of Hedges. At that time, I could not see the need for it ... Later that year, as we added it to our weekly "reading as a couple" library, I realized the wisdom contained in this well written book!
Jenkins submits a notion in chapter eleven that caused us to weigh our vows in the eyes o
Natalie Gilbert
This book is an excellent read for anyone who lives a life in the limelight or values long lasting relationships.

I read this book years ago and still sometimes recall its powerful principles for exclusive romantic relationships. The author's examples are very realistic, and demonstrate how even a trustworthy and faithful mate can unintentionally set themselves up for failure. The crux is living above reproach: making sure you never discuss marital/LTR arguments with someone to whom you may be at
Brent MacDonald
Feb 17, 2016 Brent MacDonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book with especially new ideas or insights, it nonetheless provides an honest and passionate personal reminder that it is never prudish to protect God's greatest gifts. Note: My edition came with a free DVD of the author teaching "Hedges" to a congregation. The book is helpful, but the visual presentation is truly inspirational. A good resource.
Amy
while geared for men to read, wives gain from this one too. I appreciate the candid view of the male psyche, because Christian men are no different but held to a higher standard. while it may not be an issue for us today, the battle is real and could be a problem tomorrow if we did not have our hedges in place!
Michaiah
This book was ok, although I found most of it to be fairly commonsense stuff. The gist is that we should protect our marriages by having certain rules in place (mostly dealing with interactions with the opposite sex) in order to avoid an affair. The author's thought on lust is that it is the one sin/temptation that cannot be overcome by prayer, willpower, etc. Rather, one should completely flee from it in the first place. It is written to a husband audience, although wives can learn from it as w ...more
Spencer Sokol
Feb 26, 2014 Spencer Sokol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read26indy
Granted, I’m not the target audience for this book, but there is a bit of practical, usable information contained within its pages. You will just have to look past his bias (and second-class viewing) of non-Christians.
Russell Miles
Dec 03, 2011 Russell Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent advice on practical ways to protect your marriage. WIth half of all marriages ending in divorce, it seems a lot of people are not doing what it takes to make sure their marriage does not end up on the bad side of statistics. My wife and I have seen a marriage of good friends of ours fall apart for the exact reasons laid out in the book, and our friends were married for 20 years; no one thought it could happen to them, but sure enough it did. If you are married, taking the steps outline ...more
Tina Baughman
Sep 04, 2014 Tina Baughman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Practical advice. Every married person should read.
Jeremy
May 01, 2016 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationships
Nick
Basic good reminders for marriage. It has the limitations of being a book written by a man for men. Our small group was reading through this together, and I couldn't help wondering how some of Jenkins' phrases came across to the women in the group. Sometimes he said things that came across awkwardly. E.g. "I like hugging women. It's fun, and it can be friendly" (89). But all in all, I like this way better than the first chapter of Left Behind (a book that I never finished).
Princess
I would actually give this book 3 1/2 stars. It is written for a male audience and I didn't realize that when I first picked it up off the sale shelf at the library. However, I did glean some useful information and felt relieved and uplifted by several different passages. Jenkins has very good advice and I don't think he comes across as overly preachy. I didn't really care about the workbook pages in the back, but they might prove useful to some.
Heidi
Jan 12, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He talked a lot of his own marriage in this book. I thought it would just be a bunch of him mentioning Bible Verses, but I was surprised and can take a lot of advice from this book. It was interesting enough that I didn't want to stop reading it. It also had worksheets in the back to help you understand what he's talking about. This is a good book to read before and after you get married.
Joy
Sep 05, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for married couples, soon to be married, and for single people who believes that marriage is a sacrament to be honored. Jerry Jenkins shares his own "hedges" to protect his marriage mainly from infidelity. He is right in saying that we all are vulnerable and open to temptation. One wrong move and everything would be in chaos.
Ryan Young
Jenkins gives a lot of good common-sense advice for Christian (and generally moral) men who don't want to get divorced. His tone is conversational and down to earth. I read it alone in a single sitting but I am sure it would make for some pretty interesting group discussions. Thanks, Mama!
Sam
Apr 24, 2012 Sam rated it it was ok
Really was hoping to get more out of this book. HOWEVER, it is a good one at that. A lot of the principles are good, and it takes skill to personally apply your own. It is good to be warned of affairs and illicit sex and whatnot. I want to be pure.
Ashley Calvert
This book helped set the foundation for our marriage. It's a thought-provoking approach to how to set and maintain hedges in marriage. There are many revelations that should be put to action in this book.
Shirley
Mar 24, 2014 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good advice that I would suggest all married couples to read. It's about making choices to protect and nurture your marriage relationship and avoiding choices that may weaken it.
Bruce Baker
Feb 21, 2011 Bruce Baker rated it liked it
A difficult to accept but very truthful reality about us all, we sin. I as a man and a husband I do not protect my marriage up front it may fail. If left to my own devices I will fail.
Chris
Jan 24, 2011 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I respect this guy's angle, but the entire book could be summed up in one short sentence. Never put yourself in a situation that would give you the opportunity to cheat.
Lee Marthers
Great book about guarding a marriage from sexual failure. Very practical and wise. Highly recommended on the subject.
David
Dec 27, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage-family
Excellent advice to men.
Mike Dunn
Mar 17, 2008 Mike Dunn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
A good warning of how marriage can be destroyed by failing to set protective hedges around them.
Jun 25, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with simple, yet wise advice to protect your marriage.
Amy Nagel
Mar 26, 2008 Amy Nagel added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Pastor Ron Williams
This was a good book, but I think was more from a male perspective.
Huggiworld
Aug 10, 2010 Huggiworld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about establishing personal boundaries.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Marriage Without Regrets: No matter where you are or where you've been, you can have…
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Your One-Year-Old: The Fun-Loving, Fussy 12-To 24-Month-Old
  • Your God is Too Small
  • The Power of a Praying Husband
  • Arms of Love
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics
Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 185 books, including mysteries, historical fiction, biblical fiction, cop thrillers, international spy thrillers, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature Christians as protagonists. In 2005, Jenki ...more
More about Jerry B. Jenkins...