Start by marking “Hedges” as Want to Read:
Hedges

Hedges

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  27 reviews

Plant Hedges

With the divorce rate steadily climbing and infidelity creeping into even the happiest marriages, in a society that trivializes adultery and its devastating effects, with temptation and opportunity coming at you from all directions-how can you keep your marriage from becoming a statistic?

The advice from best-selling author Jerry B. Jenkins is this:
plant prevent

Published May 27th 2005 by Crossway (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hedges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedges

Josh Miller
My wife and I attempt to regularly read books on marriage. Some are better than others. However, all of the books on marriage that I have read over the years have always encouraged and helped me in my marriage. Professionals in all trades of life pursue a lifelong quest of learning and growing in their trade. Why do most married couples not continue in their learning and growing in this all important relationship of marriage??

I liked the frankness in which Jerry Jenkins writes this book. He was
Kent
May 21, 2015 Kent rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: husbands
Shelves: marriage-family, 2015
I think husbands should occasionally read a book on marriage to remind them of what's most important, to reinvigorate them to loving their wives. We read books to sharpen us in business and to improve our golf game. Reading marriage books can improve our marriages. I know doing so has helped me to be more intentional about treating my wife with the respect she certainly deserves.

Hedges is one of those books that can help. The book's thesis is that because we live in such a sexually-charged cult
Jake Jordan
Let's be honest. This is a book about lust. The biggest challenge for any man is to guard his eyes, hands and hearts from compromising situations. It is nearly impossible these days to avoid them entirely. So build yourself some habits and actions that will keep you safe from danger and frequently as possible.

Jerry does a nice job discussing his challenges openly without getting too lewd. He does toe that line, in a good way. Guys need to hear it straight!

For Wives: this is written for men, by a
Michael
This book would probably not have been of interest if I had not heard Jenkins speak at our church. I only knew of him from the "Left Behind" books (of which I am not a fan), and as co-writer on a sports autobiography or something. Anyway, he was a fantastic speaker, and very funny. The same practical, conversational, humorous tone characterizes this book.

Most will find his suggestions in "Hedges" to be utterly puritanical and a roadblock to the kind of mature, sincere trust that ought to be cult
Lady
Jerry Jenkins has truly saved marriages with this simple, potent and of tremendous value book!

While on Missionary assignment in Nigeria in the late nineteen-nineties, GOD compelled a dear sister to gift us a copy of Hedges. At that time, I could not see the need for it ... Later that year, as we added it to our weekly "reading as a couple" library, I realized the wisdom contained in this well written book!
Jenkins submits a notion in chapter eleven that caused us to weigh our vows in the eyes o
Natalie Gilbert
This book is an excellent read for anyone who lives a life in the limelight or values long lasting relationships.

I read this book years ago and still sometimes recall its powerful principles for exclusive romantic relationships. The author's examples are very realistic, and demonstrate how even a trustworthy and faithful mate can unintentionally set themselves up for failure. The crux is living above reproach: making sure you never discuss marital/LTR arguments with someone to whom you may be at
Michaiah
This book was ok, although I found most of it to be fairly commonsense stuff. The gist is that we should protect our marriages by having certain rules in place (mostly dealing with interactions with the opposite sex) in order to avoid an affair. The author's thought on lust is that it is the one sin/temptation that cannot be overcome by prayer, willpower, etc. Rather, one should completely flee from it in the first place. It is written to a husband audience, although wives can learn from it as w ...more
Spencer Sokol
Granted, I’m not the target audience for this book, but there is a bit of practical, usable information contained within its pages. You will just have to look past his bias (and second-class viewing) of non-Christians.
Russell Miles
Excellent advice on practical ways to protect your marriage. WIth half of all marriages ending in divorce, it seems a lot of people are not doing what it takes to make sure their marriage does not end up on the bad side of statistics. My wife and I have seen a marriage of good friends of ours fall apart for the exact reasons laid out in the book, and our friends were married for 20 years; no one thought it could happen to them, but sure enough it did. If you are married, taking the steps outline ...more
Tina Baughman
Good book. Practical advice. Every married person should read.
Nick
Basic good reminders for marriage. It has the limitations of being a book written by a man for men. Our small group was reading through this together, and I couldn't help wondering how some of Jenkins' phrases came across to the women in the group. Sometimes he said things that came across awkwardly. E.g. "I like hugging women. It's fun, and it can be friendly" (89). But all in all, I like this way better than the first chapter of Left Behind (a book that I never finished).
Princess
I would actually give this book 3 1/2 stars. It is written for a male audience and I didn't realize that when I first picked it up off the sale shelf at the library. However, I did glean some useful information and felt relieved and uplifted by several different passages. Jenkins has very good advice and I don't think he comes across as overly preachy. I didn't really care about the workbook pages in the back, but they might prove useful to some.
Heidi
He talked a lot of his own marriage in this book. I thought it would just be a bunch of him mentioning Bible Verses, but I was surprised and can take a lot of advice from this book. It was interesting enough that I didn't want to stop reading it. It also had worksheets in the back to help you understand what he's talking about. This is a good book to read before and after you get married.
Joy
Highly recommended for married couples, soon to be married, and for single people who believes that marriage is a sacrament to be honored. Jerry Jenkins shares his own "hedges" to protect his marriage mainly from infidelity. He is right in saying that we all are vulnerable and open to temptation. One wrong move and everything would be in chaos.
Ryan Young
Jenkins gives a lot of good common-sense advice for Christian (and generally moral) men who don't want to get divorced. His tone is conversational and down to earth. I read it alone in a single sitting but I am sure it would make for some pretty interesting group discussions. Thanks, Mama!
Sam
Really was hoping to get more out of this book. HOWEVER, it is a good one at that. A lot of the principles are good, and it takes skill to personally apply your own. It is good to be warned of affairs and illicit sex and whatnot. I want to be pure.
Ashley Calvert
This book helped set the foundation for our marriage. It's a thought-provoking approach to how to set and maintain hedges in marriage. There are many revelations that should be put to action in this book.
Shirley
Really good advice that I would suggest all married couples to read. It's about making choices to protect and nurture your marriage relationship and avoiding choices that may weaken it.
Bruce Baker
A difficult to accept but very truthful reality about us all, we sin. I as a man and a husband I do not protect my marriage up front it may fail. If left to my own devices I will fail.
Chris
I respect this guy's angle, but the entire book could be summed up in one short sentence. Never put yourself in a situation that would give you the opportunity to cheat.
Lee Marthers
Great book about guarding a marriage from sexual failure. Very practical and wise. Highly recommended on the subject.
David
Excellent advice to men.
Mike Dunn
A good warning of how marriage can be destroyed by failing to set protective hedges around them.
Good book with simple, yet wise advice to protect your marriage.
Amy Nagel
Mar 26, 2008 Amy Nagel added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Pastor Ron Williams
This was a good book, but I think was more from a male perspective.
Huggiworld
Great book about establishing personal boundaries.
  • A Marriage Without Regrets: No Matter Where You Are or Where You've Been, You Can Have...
  • Strengthening Your Marriage
  • Love & Respect Workbook
  • Love Talk: Speak Each Other's Language Like You Never Have Before
  • Violin for Dummies
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • Arms of Love
  • Lesbian Couples: A Guide to Creating Healthy Relationships
  • How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics
  • Your God is Too Small
Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 180 books, including mysteries, historical fiction, biblical fiction, cop thrillers, international spy thrillers, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature Christians as protagonists. In 2005, Jenki ...more
More about Jerry B. Jenkins...
Soon: The Beginning of the End (Underground Zealot, #1) Riven Left Behind Series Hardcover Gift Set (Left Behind, #1-6) The Vanishings: Four Kids Face Earth's Last Days Together  (Left Behind: The Kids, #1) Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)