Start by marking “Clouds Without Rain: An Amish-Country Mystery” as Want to Read:
Clouds Without Rain: An Amish-Country Mystery

Clouds Without Rain: An Amish-Country Mystery (Amish-Country Mysteries #3)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A compulsively readable new series that explores a fascinating culture set purposely apart.
In the wooded Amish hill country, a professor at a small college, a local pastor, and the county sheriff are the only ones among the mainstream, or "English," who possess the instincts and skills to work the cases that impact all county residents, no matter their code of conduct or
Published November 1st 2010 by Plume Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Clouds Without Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clouds Without Rain

Elizabeth
The title of this book comes from the Bible. It is from Jude who refers to people who are self-involved. These shepherd to feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn tree's, without food and uprooted – twice dead.

Specifically it refers to JR Weaver who has been killed in an buggy accident. He had become a very liberal member of the Amish faith and had become a real estate developer. He used electricity, telephones and fax machines but still drove a simple
Joe A
Jan 10, 2009 Joe A rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoy Mysteries
This book is called Clouds without Rain and it is written by Paul Gaus. Clouds without Rain is an Ohio Amish mystery in which the members of a small Amish community in Ohio face trouble when there is a deadly accident involving a truck and an Amish buggy. Many people suspect that there is more to the accident then meets the eye. To add to the trouble, a group of unknown teenagers have been robbing Amish buggies in the community. Professor Michael Branden, with help from the local Sheriff, decide ...more
Brigid
Mysteries aren't really my thing, but I picked this up for two key reasons: it was only a dollar (I can't resist cheap books) and it is set in Amish Country and I grew up 'English' in the Pennsylvania Dutch heartland and went to school with mostly 'fancy Dutch' but also some plain kids.

It was a fast read, and relatively entertaining. It's the third in a series and I think the more interesting plot point (some sort of Amish Satanic cult?!) must drag on through a few books because that was almost
Heather
It was an interesting mystery with a lingering romantic element. I think more descriptive language as well as background information would have been helpful to bring more the Amish culture out in the story. A bit dry, I feel like it was meant to be a short story and the publisher told them if they just added here, here, and here it would be a book.
Mayda
In Clouds without Rain, P. L. Gaus has again written a superb mystery wrapped around a social concern. Land is important to the Amish for farming, for food and a modest living; it is important to developers to generate money and for a profit, the bigger the better. In this mystery, the two worlds collide, and the result is disastrous. The Amish cannot believe one of their own would treat them unfairly in his lust for money. But seems to be the case, or is it? When the ownership rights to eight ...more
Elizabeth
mysteries...unbelievable premise but no worse than other series'
Alethea Bothwell
Number 3 is his best so far. Finally a mystery.
Merle
This is a very quiet series but it is definitely worth reading. The little peaceful world of Holmes County is affected by the world of Ohio outside. There is consistent conflict between the Old Order and the world around them. I enjoy these stories. This particular one begins with a terrible accident which causes reflection and change among the main characters. These men and women all have heart and it shows even though they prefer to hide that fact. Well done.
Donna
I really enjoy reading this mysteries set in Amish country in Nnortheast Ohio. Having visited the area several times, it is fun to picture the scenery and the characters are likable. I had not solved this one. This was my third title by this author. He knows the subject of Amosh and the area well.
Richard
This was an interesting book in that the locale -- the Amish country of Central Ohio -- is familiar to me, as we live only about an hour from the places described in the book. Some of the other locations are in even closer proximity. Other than that, it was more a light-read book that did not occupy much thought process. Being familiar with the Amish and their traditions, I did detect an error or two that a good editor should have caught.
Stefanie
Disappointing. I was (vaguely) interested enough to listen to the end just to see how the mystery resolved, but the dialogue was stilted (has anyone past Shakespeare's time ever called someone "you rotten cur"?), and Britta Summers was one of the most unrealistic female characters I've ever come across. Still, I may try another one of these just to give this series another shot.
Kerry
This book was OK, but not really compelling or exciting. I may have not liked it so much because I was interrupted frequently when reading, so I couldn't "lose myself" in the story. I did enjoy the description of Amish life. Perhaps I might have enjoyed it more if I had started with book one in the series so I would have been more familiar with the characters.
Grey853
Andy Plonka
A pleasant read which centers on an Amish community in Ohio, where deaths occur and are solved by an no Amish professor of history at a local college. In this one an Amish buggy is hit by a semi with the occupant killed as well as an innocent bystander. The best parts are the attempts by the Amish to maintain a "simple" lifestyle in today's world.
Sandy
Ok story, but author should be consistent with what he calls the characters. He has at least 3 names that he uses for each character....sometimes it's the first name, sometimes it's the last name, and sometimes it's their occupation (such as sherrif, or professor, or biship, and so on.... Makes it very confusing to follow who's talking.
Katy Budget Books
Reviewed by: Stephanie Coxe (Tale Talk Book Club member)

This is the 2nd story in the Amish-Country Mystery series. The characters are likable people, and the mystery was engaging. The solution was not apparent, so the ending was a surprise. This was a little better that the 1st in the series.
Mary
The third in the series of quick, light mysteries set in Ohio Amish country. I enjoy the Amish culture in the stories since we have a large Amish population near here, but I wish there was more character development.
Clara Roberts
This was the third book I read by Gaus. It was my least favorite. Like the other two books the author has wonderful descriptions. I did not like the almost vague introduction of the major protaganist.
Maureen
interesting to read about some of the traits of the Amish, who have recently become quite popular with a new tv show. I am not a mystery reader but this mystery moved along as it is quite an easy read.
Julie
I don't remember it very well, which makes me think it was neither horrible nor outstanding. It was certainly a short, brisk read and set very near where I live.
Judith
This was a good addition to this series that I started years ago. It was very predictable, but the characters were interesting
John Hanscom
Maybe a little less. There was more mystery and less Amish in this book, and I love the learning as well as the sleuthing.
Wanda Ballou
Great reading not my normal reading but found that I just couldn't put it down. Will continue reading his books.
Marsha Moyer
This is a really good series of murder mysteries. I've enjoyed them all so far.
Theresa
It wasn't my favorite of the three that I've read, but I didn't hate it.
Bev
A little "dark" for me, but action makes it hard to put down
Jan 24, 2011 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults who like the Amish cultural setting will like this.
This was a quick, very light mystery set in an Amish community.
Janiej78
I liked these books, gave me an insight into the Amish way.
Bobbi
Another solid outing by Gaus. Really enjoying this series.
Natalie
Calm, mature, intriguing, well written.
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Road Home (Maplecreek, #1)
  • The Doctor's Blessing (Brides of Amish Country, #2)
  • Vanish in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #2)
  • Healing Hearts: Healing Hearts / A Change of Heart / A Choice to Forgive
  • A Perfect Square (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #2)
  • Amish Society
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • Beginnings (Amish Knitting Circle, #1)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • Secrets of Harmony Grove
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Amish Winter Wonderland (Jacob's Daughter #2)
  • Running Around (And Such) (Lizzie Searches for Love, #1)
  • The Silent Order
Paul L. Gaus writes The Amish-Country Mysteries, set authentically in the Amish settlements of Holmes County, Ohio. Three life-long friends - Professor Michael Branden, Sheriff Bruce Robertson, and Pastor Caleb Troyer - work sometimes together and other times at crossed purposes to solve mysteries involving the often inscrutable Amish sects of the region. The rich cast of English characters includ ...more
More about P.L. Gaus...

Amish-Country Mysteries (9 books)
  • Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1)
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • A Prayer for the Night (Ohio Amish Mystery, #5)
  • Separate from the World (Ohio Amish Mystery, #6)
  • Harmless as Doves: An Amish-Country Mystery
  • The Names of Our Tears: An Amish-Country Mystery
  • Whiskers of the Lion: An Amish-Country Mystery
Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1) Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2) Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4) A Prayer for the Night (Ohio Amish Mystery, #5) Separate from the World (Ohio Amish Mystery, #6)