Immediate Action

Immediate Action

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,641 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Immediate Action is a no-holds-barred account of an extraordinary life, from the day Andy McNab was found in a carrier bag on the steps of Guy's Hospital to the day he went to fight in the Gulf War.

As a delinquent youth he kicked against society. As a young soldier he waged war against the IRA in the streets and fields of South Armagh. As a member of 22 SAS Regiment he was...more
Published 1996 by Corgi (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Immediate Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immediate Action

Arun Divakar
Special Forces ever since I came to understand them has been a source of fascination for me. The fact that a handful of soldiers could inflict deeper damage into ant enemy's heart than a conventional military force is nothing sort of a brilliant albeit successful idea. I had heard of McNab from the Bravo Two Zero legend (which interestingly i am yet to read) and Immediate Action was in fact called a stepping stone for B2Z.

The book sketches the career of McNab from the time when he was a juvenil...more
Grace
I find with Andy McNab’s books that on average I enjoy every other one. Unfortunately this wasn’t one of the books that I enjoyed. The last one I read by McNab prior to this was ‘Bravo Two Zero’ which I thought was fantastic. Although a lot of reader think that the authors writing style adds to the authenticity of his books, I don’t think it lends itself particularly well to this autobiography. I felt that some of the operations weren’t described in any detail, which is unusual for an autobiogra...more
Glenn
Loved it!!

Although I was never in the Regiment, I did serve in the infantry around the same time as the author and as you would expect with a diminishing list of destinations at that time, served in almost all of the locations described in the book.

I guess this was the main reason I found this book so compelling and identified with it so well.
Procyon Lotor
Mr McNab could be an ideal neighbour. Some years among SAS troops, an autobiography. Who joins the Regiment (hungry orphans, angry young boys, white trash and eccentric or particular people); what the Regiment does (everything but flying planes or floating ships); when they need to be fit and ready for action: immediately; how heavy and tough their drill is (as tough as hell). Where: Brunei, Malaysia, Ulster, Oman, Belize, Botswana, UK, Beirut, Colombia, Iraqi desert. Unexpectedly, weaponry is n...more
Demien Hieriem
this book reveals that even killer elite squads like the Regiment are afraid of a hippopotamus.
Karen
Published after Bravo Two Zero, in IMMEDIATE ACTION McNab takes us back to his early life. He starts, albeit briefly, with being raised by his adoptive parents after being found as a baby on the steps of Guy's Hospital.

In McNab's very matter of fact style he relates how, as a juvenile delinquent, he decided he had a choice between jail and a nothing much of a life, and the Army. After fighting against the IRA in South Armagh McNab decides that the SAS is where he wants to be and he goes in for "...more
Steve Smy
This is a memoir that shows that even the author can find it difficult to find any redeeming features about themselves! This work by Andy McNab reveals, with brutal honesty, what an unpleasant, dishonest young person he was - the kind of youth we cross roads to avoid. More, he exhibits an egocentricity ruling his life for many years that many will find extremely unattractive. Indeed, apart from very rare hints of a better nature, it's not until the last moments of the book that he suggests that...more
Seth
Given the subject matter--an autobiography of an SAS soldier up to Desert Storm--you would expect one of two things: a) insightful commentary about the SAS, its methods, its role in the world, and it's interrelationship with Thatcherian policies, or b) a great escapist thriller with lots of action, whether interpersonal or military.

Given the lurid cover Bantam/Dell gave the mass market edition ("The explosive true story..." "The controversial book the British government tried to suppress!" "Dare...more
Kevin
Good book, however I had to learn all new words to understand what he was talking about. I served in the armed forces, and the jargin is entirely different. When I began to read the book I was having to read paragraphs twice to understand what exactly was going on. The author did attempt to explain some of the terms, and how things relate to American English.
One of the quotes on the exterior of the book said in essence that the government tried to suppress the release of this book. I kept looki...more
Andrew Herbert
McNab's writing isn't the greatest, but the storytelling is compelling. This is supposed to be a memoir, so that's interesting too!
Brunhilde
I know for a lot people Andy McNab is their initiation into the special forces world and therefore, there first love. And I respect that. He is not that for me.
I will say his writing has a quick paced, adventurous style that mirrors his life and is impressive to read. But I do feel like there is something lacking. I just can't put my finger on it. It could be depth or introspection.
Mark Dawson
An impressive biography from a writer who - by his own admission - couldn't read or write particularly well until his adult years. McNab is an easy read, with a loose and informal style that means the pages turn quickly. McNab has led an interesting life and he relates the highlights (and lowlights) with characteristic honesty.
Malcolm
Very descriptive analysis of the selection process and the counter terrorist methodology in eliminating opponents (very useful in mock trial criminal self-defense claims). Also has recollections from the British Special Air Service incursions, against the IRA, in Belfast.
Beabe
I had read some really great reviews of Andy McNab books, but was really disappointed with this particular one. The paragraphs jumped ahead in the narrative so much that it was jarring and confusing.

I gave up about 82 pages from the end. I'll try his other books next.
Bicefalus
la prima guerra del golfo vista dagli di chi c'era e si è trovato in mezzo ad una delle missioni più fallimentari di tutta la guerra ...
nulla nasce dalla fantasia e l'atrocità del combat tere per salvare la propria pelle esce in tutta la sua tragicità
Zare
First modern [non-WW2] book on SAS that I have read. Gripping tale of SAS operators and their actions worldwide. As it is always the case with this sort of history books do not expect that all secrets of the trade will be revealed.
John
How strange... that so many years after reading this book I should find myself providing work to one of the colleagues of McNab, just a couple of weeks ago.

It has made me want to go back and read this and his other books again.
Leahcim
James here again. Read this book to learn all about the secret world of the SAS the masters of CQB. Fun to read and amazing that people are alive to tell the tell. Jason Bourne is fiction. Andy McNab and his team of SAS guys are real.
Beth in SF
Interesting look at the making of a warrior and how he is used. Also a disturbing commentary on the choices of what others do with their training. Is it the rush, making a living, greed, wanderlust, death wish...? Who can tell.
Sergio ruocchio
senz'altro uno dei migliori di Andy .
rende chiaramente il senso dell'azione e della preparazione dei SAS.
per soli amatori, agli altri i particolari tecnici e dell'azione potrebbero stufare.
prodotto di settore
Ralph Halse
McNab is an excellent writer whose efforts to deliverance enjoyable product are most appreciated, particularly impressive is his attention to detail along with a sense of reality tied to a work of fiction.
Chris Harrison
Massive McNab fan but got bored with this book and gave up 3/4s of the way through..started reading seven troop and the 1st 100 pages of that seem to be the same as what was mentioned in immediate action
Rickard
An interesting book, however I read it straight after reading Bravo Two Zero and it became a bit too much with two of his books after each other.
Tim Evans
First read this when I was 11 so it was my first look at what the army and, especially, the SAS were. Quite shocking but fascinating.
Patrick
Apr 20, 2008 Patrick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Matt
a great book, only marred by the fact that there is some belief that some of the details are not true.
Simon
A very eye opening account of a young soldiers journey to a life in the special forces.
Brian
[Full Review to Follow]

Re-reading this book for review purposes.
John Polson
Enjoyed - surprised at this level of detail in non-fiction.
Gareth
not a great writer, but interesting content.
Pat
Prequel to Bravo Two Zero.
The REAL Bravo two Zero 2 3 Sep 14, 2014 03:50AM
The REAL Bravo two Zero 1 2 Sep 11, 2014 07:20PM
  • The One That Got Away: My SAS Mission Behind Enemy Lines
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Task Force Black
  • Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
  • SOG: Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t...more
More about Andy McNab...
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2) Traitor (Boy Soldier, #1)