Liberation Day: (Nick Stone Book 5)

Liberation Day: (Nick Stone #5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  670 ratings  ·  21 reviews

If Nick Stone wasn't so desperate for his American citizenship, he probably wouldn't have agreed to do this one last job with the CIA. But Carrie is over there and he simply can't refuse the chance of a new life with the woman he loves.

The job seems simple enough - and he is certainly skilled enough. Infiltrate the hostile, violent republic of Algeria, kill a money-laund

Paperback
Published October 1st 2004 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Liberation Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberation Day

Kristina Chalmain
Another pageturner in the Nick Stone series by Andy McNab. While not up to for instance "Fire Wall", it is still an excellent thriller, with a realistic background in the hawala system (see for instance http://www.gdrc.org/icm/hawala.html).

Nice with a change of scene too, after many scenes in poor backwaters or djungles etc, we are suddenly in the glitzy French Riviera. Again, excellent scene descriptions that you actually enjoy reading, and plenty of humourous quips (like letting your chihuahas...more
Graham
Unfortunately the law of diminishing returns seems to be hitting Andy McNab’s Nick Stone series, and hitting it hard. While Chris Ryan’s rival Geordie Sharp stories remain simple and fresh, McNab seems to be wallowing in the mundane detail of his tales as he regales us with page after page of the boring, routine day-to-day existence of an ‘undercover operator’.

This book’s set in the south of France, but the glamorous setting doesn’t really get a look in as Nick spends much of his time hiding in...more
Oscar
Grace
I find these series of books baffling. Some are quite good and keep you gripped until the end and others, you can't wait to finish. This fell into the latter category in that I couldn't wait to finish it. It was enjoyable but once again you are overwhelmed with detail which sometimes doesn't add anything to the tale that is unfolding.

Despite this I will be happy to try other books in the series and I'm sure that I will continue to find the hit and miss enjoyment in them.
Neil
Not the best Nick Stone novel ever, it was a long convoluted planning stage for an operation, but as usual the action shifted up a gear in the final 25%. Most interestingly (for me) it was set in the South of France where I live, so I knew a lot of the locations and now I feel a bit like an ex-SAS hard man when I take my kids to the beach where Nick Stone had previously (fictionally) assassinated some Al-Qaeda targets.
Trung
Probably the weakest book of the series I have read so far. Most people did say the majority of the book was made up of a lot of preparation work (which I can agree with in the world of covert operations), but the problem was it felt sort of repetitive. At least the ending portions made up for it and were a lot more crazy.
Chris Harrison
Started off well and I thought it was looking like being one of his better efforts but I felt it kind of just plodded along for large parts after the initial job with his two accomplances. Have noticed that McNabs favourite phrase when somebody gets shot/killed/beaten up seems to be "so and so was given THE GOOD NEWS"
Phoebe223
I only gave this two stars, because I got a bit lost at times. If you you read these types of books and know about these kinds of missions I think you would enjoy the book. I am a novice about these topics. I am intrigued to read more of his books despite the two star rating.
Bec
The worst of this series that I have encountered so far, and I would advise only those that feel they couldn't live without reading every book in a series to read it.

It had a lot of recon and waiting and talking and shopping, and only a little action or thrilling sequences.
Paul Chandler
Another great book by Andy McNab. I have said this before, but I enjoy how human "Nick Sone" is. He get hurt and bleeds. In other book the hero always wins without a scratch not with Nick Stone. He wins some and loose some!
Jim Whitefield
More edge of the seat reading - a breathtaking ride as Nick Stone is enticed into another black op. The fifth in the series and still as entertaining and thrilling as the first story. Gripping stuff.
Gary Scothern
had a bit of a typical man moment and bought this, it's ok I guess although very much a man book filled with unrealistic scenarios involving guns.
Brian
Reads like a technical manual instead of a novel for most of it. Found myself skipping large portions of pages just to get somewhere.
Johan
Niet slecht als tussendoortje, maar veel te veel details. Het eigenlijke verhaal verdrinkt in de onbenullige details.
Stephen Richards
A shoot-em blow-em-up airport thriller. I'm ashamed to have read it, but even more ashamed to say I quite enjoyed it.
Joseph Soroye
I liked how realistic it was. It was like reading a more action based Tom Clancy.
Roy McDine
Brilliant plot - makes you wonder how bear to the truth these plots are...
Matt R
it took a while for me to get into it, but ended up ok
Peter
have read before, a good read.
John Polson
A 160 page chase scene?
Jon P
Jon P is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Emma
Emma is currently reading it
Simon Pickering
Simon Pickering marked it as to-read
Barry Boswell
Barry Boswell marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • Blindfold Game
  • Task Force Black
  • Nerve Center (Dreamland, #2)
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • The Cabal
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • Pay The Devil
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t...more
More about Andy McNab...
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Immediate Action Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)