Start by marking “Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)” as Want to Read:
Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)

Recoil (Nick Stone #9)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,009 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Recuperating in Switzerland after a job that cost the life of one of his closest friends, ex-deniable operator Nick Stone is looking for a quiet life.

But when his private life starts to disintegrate, Nick is reluctantly forced back into action. The trail leads him to Africa and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where it isn't long before his dark past comes knocking on
Published June 18th 2007 by Corgi

Christian Scala
Dec 11, 2010 Christian Scala rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
"Nome in codice Dark Winter" in originale "Dark Winter" è un libro del 2003, romanzo di azione/spionistico di Andy McNab, che è uno scrittore e militare britannico, pseudonimo dietro il quale si nasconde un ex-sergente dello Special Air Service (i corpi speciali dell'esercito britannico), noto al grande pubblico come autore di romanzi di spionaggio. Questo romanzo è del 1997, e fa appunto parte della serie "Nick Stone": in particolare questo è il secondo romanzo della serie.

L'autore è anche un s
Thomas
Feb 13, 2017 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
solito grande McNab. Se volete una lettura impegnata leggetevi Dostoevskij. Se volete un thriller poliziesco leggetevi Deaver. Se volete azione pure a non finire c'è McNab! Qua c'è azione azione e azione fino alla fine, tanti informazioni di tattiche militari e stavolta qua si parla anche di cose serie, come le guerre in Congo e i bambini soldato, come vengono sfruttati e torturati. Grande realismo come al solito!
Terry
Nov 28, 2015 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Just when you think he can't get any better McNab pulls out a masterpiece that is only eclipsed by his first novel. His gift is his ability to bring to life these very real world scenarios. With the James Bonds, Jack Reatchers, and Jason Bournes of this literary world everything is very much larger than life with super villians and Hollywood explosions. McNab pulls on his first hand SAS experience to tell stories about events that actually can and do happen.

This time our hapless hero Nick Stone
Samori Augusto
Where does my smartphone get its juice?

A bit racist, but I've read his memoirs so I was expecting that. Read this for research, for a story I want to write, having never been a soldier in my life. Good adventure story, but freaks me out about the nuggets (get it?) of truth behind a story about child soldiers and what in Angola we called garimpeiros. And now I feel incredibly guilty about typing this with my Google Nexus while I sit here in comfortable Western dialysis surrounded by the latest te
Afsana
Apr 28, 2010 Afsana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was not to my taste in so far too much in reality and could have been non fiction. It was written well and would be good read for those interested in gritty books.

There was indepth description of death bombings and the use of children in the mines, fighting and re mercerneries

There was regular use of swearing which added to realism and I hate to adamit it but I like to read to escape from reality and though love reading crime where hear about what people can do knowing that though peop
Jim McGowan
Oct 10, 2009 Jim McGowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid Nick Stone novel, but like the latter books in the series, it has a rather simple plot. However, the story is engaging and rich in the immersive details that make McNabs novels stand out. The setup for the story is based on Stone's relationship with the girl he meets up with in the previous novel, but this book can still be read out of sequence and not detract from the story.
Abhishek Prakash
first of all d first person narration style of "i,me,myself" gets to you....second.. d plot of d story is good bt hasnt been done justice wid...too mch focus on weapons n too leas on d humane side...i didn lyk d writin style and d way d characr of d protagonistNickStone has been developd....
a read which u can giv a miss as ill b doin to all andy mcnab books...
Chris Harrison
Jul 25, 2011 Chris Harrison rated it liked it
Enjoyed it, found it a bit different as Stone usually gets captured and tortured at some point and that never really happened in this book, a lot of the scenes reminded me of the genocide scenes from Hotel Rwanda - Just wish there was a glossary at the start to explain some of the more technical descriptions - Big fan of McNab and Chris Ryans books
Manoj
Jun 07, 2016 Manoj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy McNab isn't quite the thriller you expect him to be. Having said that, with the personal experience he has, what we have at hand is more of an autobiography rather than a novel. Another of those slow reads, you should take up when you have nothing else to do. As the saying goes, all is well that ends well, the novel ends positively which does well in the favour of the book.
Richard Howard
Standard Nick Stone book, where Nick goes off too the jungle to rescue his girlfriend. Action packed fluff.

Some interesting bits about the PRC and it's political instability. Also deals with the subject of child soldiers.
John Cheeseman
This was a very short book, pretty exciting though but a lot less realistic than his previous ones. There were no insights into the tradecraft of a special forces operator and far too many coincidences but as an action novel it was pretty decent.
Anita
Sep 09, 2012 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too much emphasis on weapons, but I liked the setting of the conflict and the action. Also the reference to the LRA and Kony made me wonder if all the attention earlier this year did any good to put this guy out of power.
Warwick
Aug 19, 2015 Warwick rated it really liked it
Another good Nick Stone story. Detail of main battle a bit tedious, but overall just wanted to keep reading.
Steven
Sep 10, 2010 Steven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
struggling with it actually. Not as good as other mcnabs. I've actually stopped reading it. Not going to bother reading anymore Andy McNabs.
Paul
Nov 16, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book. There Nick Stone stories continue to get better and better. I could not put this book down.
Colin
Oct 22, 2012 Colin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor!! This was an old present I read as my kindle is out of action. I hated the writing style, and how basic the language in the book is. No depth to the plot, saw everything coming. Disappointing
Big Shell
May 07, 2012 Big Shell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the unexpectedly optimistic and sweet Nick Stone books. the plot is simple, though as an intermission goes it is enjoyable read.
Adam Brown
Adam Brown rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2015
JOHN M TIDY
JOHN M TIDY rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Manuel
Manuel rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Reetta Saine
Jul 24, 2011 Reetta Saine rated it it was ok
Shelves: dekkarit
Got bored out of my wits.
Erik Leonard
Erik Leonard rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Michael Gough
Michael Gough rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2014
Marshiee Kai
Marshiee Kai rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Robert Greig
Robert Greig rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Sinéad Gough
Sinéad Gough rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Charles Gobble
Charles Gobble rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Russell
Russell rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Saroj Comandur
Saroj Comandur rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2012
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • The Hostage (Stratton, #1)
  • The Double Tap (Mike Cramer #3)
  • Operation Certain Death
  • Nerve Center (Dreamland, #2)
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...

Nick Stone (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)