Start by marking “Conspiracies (Shadow Grail, #2)” as Want to Read:
Conspiracies (Shadow Grail, #2)

Conspiracies (Shadow Grail #2)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,140 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews

The second book in the Shadow Grail series by the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling authors Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill

Spirit and her friends Burke, Loch, Muirin, and Addie have managed to defeat the evil force that has been killing students at Oakhurst Academy for the past forty years—or so they think. When a series of magical attacks

Published July 5th 2011 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Conspiracies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conspiracies

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
MOST AWAITED BOOKS 2011/2012!
298th out of 465 books — 966 voters
Off The Grid by C.J. BoxStone Cold by C.J. BoxForce Of Nature by C.J. BoxFree Fire by C.J. BoxThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Books in my future
93rd out of 171 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

JJ
Mar 04, 2014 JJ rated it did not like it
I sighed my way through the first book, so I approached the second one with very low expectations. It seems to me the main problem with these books (aside from the fact that they're boring) is that the authors are torn between two fundamental instincts. The first is to make bank off of Harry Potter. The second is an absolute terror of being compared to Harry Potter. The result is a muddled mess that fails to conjure up the world it's supposed to be exploring, but wastes no time planting the imag ...more
Lexie
Two things really stood out to me in this second book in the "Shadow Grail" series--Spirit is an overwhelmingly negative person and the combined pop culture knowledge of Lackey and Edghill is staggering. The opening few chapters alone have half a dozen different Star Wars references never mind the movie, comic book and even some anime references spread throughout the rest of the book.

To center on Spirit's negativity for a moment; I fully understand and agree with a character who later on valida
Juliann Whicker
Jul 09, 2011 Juliann Whicker rated it it was ok
I didn't feel like anything really happened. I really liked the first book and I felt let down by the second. Spirit doesn't develop in any interesting way, her relationships feel really superficial, it was as though they were trying to cram in a back story and not really bother with things like making this book a book that could stand on its own in any way. The first book didn't have that kind of problem, so I'm wondering why it felt like one long something interesting almost happened but not q ...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Jun 30, 2011 Savannah (Books With Bite) rated it really liked it
This book pick up from right where it left on bringing on more trouble in the school. I like how this time around we see Spirit grow up more. She is more kin to her surroundings and is much more careful but also sneaky. Her friends on the other hand, I felt like they betrayed her, especially Loche. He is so different in this book that it scared me. It was like he was a whole new person.

The storyline was somewhat boring. Some things happen but it pretty much was just filled in with drama from the
Sandra Pulliam
Dec 17, 2011 Sandra Pulliam rated it it was amazing
Once again I am loving this series! From page one I could not put this book down. I love Spirit and Loch but Murr-cat she is pretty awesome too! There is so much mystery and things I still can't figure out but not in a frustrating way. I'm left smiling at the end and not feeling like I'm left hanging. I can't wait for book three, hopefully a lot of the gangs questions will be answered. I still don't know who is really the bad guy. I think I know but again brilliant writing that leaves me super e ...more
Nara
Sep 07, 2015 Nara rated it it was ok
Granted I haven't yet finished this book. I will, but as a second installment this is grinding along at a tedious pace. It feels like the same things are happening 17 different ways and the five central characters fade in and out of awareness that they are in danger, that there is an unidentified threat, and students are still disappearing and seemingly no-one is alarmed, curious, or in any way concerned beyond "oh, well, they're dead now I suppose".

I am unsure whether this will be "revealed" la

William Bentrim
May 11, 2014 William Bentrim rated it liked it
This is most definitely a YA book. That is not to disparage it but a caution that it may be a bit juvenile and if that turns you off , you should be aware of that fact. Spirit White is still magic-less at a pseudo Hogwarts Academy that appears to be infiltrated by the bad guys.

The story is as much a relationship story between friends as a urban fantasy. The core group of Spirit's friends are impacted by the arrival of alumni claiming to be there to protect the students from the forces of evil.
Courtney
Apr 14, 2014 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
Markiza
Feb 16, 2016 Markiza rated it it was ok
Well, well, well. Another hot mess, but slightly more boring, than the first one. I'm still determined to finish the series just because I want to see the end of it all.
I do need to say, that the writing is disappointing. If it wasn't for some interest, sparked by the plot, I would DNF this series long time ago.
Also, what's with the whole Russian mafia situation? Was that necessary? And where in the hell did she find a name "Anastus"? This is NOT a Russian name. If you want to bring something f
Annie Ericksen
Mar 10, 2016 Annie Ericksen rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Better than the first, but still falls short of its potential.

This series disappoints me, yet at the same time part of me can't give up hope that it will get better. The good stuff that is there is really good, it just gets overshadowed by the not-so-good.

More questions get answered, but the way it gets done it almost seems as if the authors didn't know what to do and just decided throw something in and see if it sticks.

While the Wild Hunt and King Arthur is cool and the mythology fits, in some
Regina
so ive been having this one on my shelf forever but never got to it but i finally buckled down the last few days to finish it. i liked it but i didnt love it like the way i hoped i would. the second book does feel darker and the whole Loch thing blindsided me because i didnt expect it but hey that was a way to end a love triangle in the making right? well its not that i mind but i feel as confused as Spirit as to what the hell is going on most of the time. i wish the action was not so slow becau ...more
Erica
Apr 18, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Anyone else feel like Spirit is the Thelma in this Scooby Doo crew? While this book didn't resolve much, I felt like it at least moved in the direction of answering questions left over from book one.

Spirit can get a bit annoying (although it hasn't even been a year since her family died and she learned about magic, so, she probably has every right to have breakdowns) but otherwise this book seems to be building off of book one for books three and four.

We do learn a bit more about the rings, ab
Colleen
Oct 09, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it
BOOK #1 SPOILERS AHEAD

Now I think I know why Tom Dolby's The Secret series is so underwhelming ... Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill are doing a much, much better job with a similar storyline. I'm very happy that the world-building and character development wordiness of Legacies (book #1 in the Shadow Grail series) was just a set-up so that the action can come fast and furious in subsequent novels.

Because you are already entrenched in the world of Oakhurst Academy and its well developed chara
Lianne Burwell
Jan 09, 2012 Lianne Burwell rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, urban-fantasy, library
Recently, I've been on a kick of rereading early Mercedes Lackey Valdemar novels. That made this book interesting to look at. On the one hand, her writing skills have definitely improved over the years. On the other hand, this book had a certain amount of plot-by numbers to it.

In the first book, Spirit White was orphaned, and sent to an Orphanage/Private School that her parents were apparently students at. The school turned out to be for magicians, but she doesn't have any magic, or if she does,
Kathy Davie
Aug 23, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was ok
Second in the Shadow Grail urban fantasy series for young adults and revolving around a core group of magick-wielding students at a special boarding school. Mmmmm, sounds familiar, doesn't it?

My Take
I suspect that Conspiracies is a bridge novel setting us up for the next story in the series and I certainly hope it's better than this bit of ho-hum. I can't believe Lackey and Edghill put out such drivel. I think Richelle Mead does this much better in her Bloodlines series.

Well, the school is cert
Teresa
4 Stars

*** No spoilers were harmed in the writing of this review ***

While I must admit this book did suffer somewhat from the middle book syndrome of feeling like a "bridge" book (bridging the story line from book one to book three) I enjoyed Conspiracies quite a bit more then I did the first book, Legacies. Even though there is less action, the characters are more fleshed out and the plot feels more cohesive.

Conspiracies starts right where Legacies left off.
The suspense is building and th
Julia
I didn't see these books on the new books shelf in the library when they came out, and found them recently in the YA section after seeing on GR that Mercedes Lackey had written a series that I didn't know about. (I guess YA has its own new book section, which I haven't been looking at.) I wasn't missing much.

Although the books (this is for #1 and #2, haven't read the third one yet) are written well enough that I kept going, they don't work well enough to suspend disbelief. There are major plot h
Shiloh (Fantastic Reading)
After defeating the Wild Hunt in the last book, Spirit and her friends are now trying to figure out who at Oakhurst is trying to kill them. It seems that they're caught in the middle of an ongoing battle between reincarnated Mordred and Arthur, with no idea who is on which side or which reincarnations might appear. Meanwhile, a group of Oakhurst alumni are on campus, probably with nefarious purposes, and they might also be mixed up with the Arthurian battle.

As is unfortunately true of most middl
Soma Rostam "IOB"
Mar 16, 2013 Soma Rostam "IOB" rated it it was amazing
I love co-authored books. It is always fun to figure out which author wrote which part. But sometimes, like this book, the writing is so in harmony that you can never figure it out. Which points to the authors' unique writing style.
Minor spoilers if you have not read Legacies (my review here)...
Spirit White has survived the Wild Hunt with her friends. But the enemies of Oakhurst academy have much more in mind. Suddenly,students are being taken away again. There is a cold, raw fear circling thr
Matthew
Aug 10, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Christ on a Macbook, that was...something. A quick read, for one thing. Somehow, though, this felt more depressing than the first book. Maybe it's the school. It feels like Brakebills, the school from The Magicians, if it sucked in every way possible (i.e., it's in Montana, all the students' entertainment options are severely restricted to only things that suck, and people frequently disappear to an unknown fate). I felt that the restrictions were more emphasized in this book, which may have mad ...more
Furrawn
Feb 04, 2015 Furrawn rated it it was amazing
Spirit White and her gang are back. This time the battle takes us into Arthurian legends. Excellent second book in a series.

I'm left with questions. What happened to Elizabeth Walker? Who is Quercus? Is Spirit White's mage gift something that allows her to be a conduit for reaching groups of people? Does she streamline and aim clear thought for a group in the midst of fear?

Luckily, I get to read book three to find out. Sometimes, it's great to discover a series way into its existence:)

David Fournier
I was disappointed with this 2nd installment of the series. All the characters are one dimensional (except for the main character Spirit), throughout the book until the last two chapters. It makes it hard to care what happens to them and weakens the any impact that the main character might provide to the story. And once again the author has ended the story without saying or hint at what ability(ies) that Spirit (the main character) may have.

Also, throughout most of the book it's the old saying "
Beth
Dec 28, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, ya, fantasy
I was disappointed in this book--it seemed to be mostly exposition. Also, Spirit misses some major clues (e.g., that wearing the class rings affects people's susceptibility to the Oakhurst party line), a new character is introduced just to vanish almost immediately, and some of the characters' behavior seems out of character (e.g., Murr-cat). I'll probably keep reading the series, though.
Libby Ames
Nov 13, 2011 Libby Ames rated it it was ok
Reading this second book of the Shadow Grail Series, I realized its weakness and why it does appeal to me as much as some of Lackey's others. This is her first attempt at a young adult series and I don't think she gives teenage readers enough credit. Trying to compensate for what Lackey expects to be less astute readers, her characterization and plot building becomes less subtle. After hearing no less than ten times that Oakhurst tries to placate their students with food and parties, I felt offe ...more
Terri
Aug 06, 2011 Terri added it
The second book in the Shadow Grail series was just as entertaining is the first! Looks like I have another series to follow - generally, if Mercedes Lackey authors or co-authors something, I am hooked before I start! Even though the protagonist and central characters are teenagers (and i am not!), they do not come across as either stereotypical or overly childish. One of the many reasons I enoyed this book is Lackey's and Edgehill's understanding that "group think" and "safety over truth" are p ...more
Katy
Dec 29, 2014 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The tension is ratcheting up in this book. The antagonists attempt to break Spirit's friendships, and come close to succeeding.

I knew they were in trouble when the Dementors showed up. (Except in this universe, they're not Dementors, they're a cabal of evil Blizzard employees.)

I had my suspicions of ties to Arthurian legend back in book 1, when the headmaster was introduced. Naming him Ambrosious is anything but subtle.

Liking this better than some other similar books (I'm looking at you, The Mag
Marie Smart
May 07, 2016 Marie Smart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, fast read but ends frustratingly

I like the concept of this saga and love the details of life at Oakhurst but before I knew it, the book ended and I'm a little lost...good thing I can read Book 3 without waiting :)
Joy
Jul 25, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
I'm already on #3 and really hooked on the mystery. That 1984 is often quoted gives you an idea of the situation and dynamics of the action in this story. It includes all the elements most young people often fear. To be orphaned and forced to live in a super-regimented, highly competitive school where you have no options to runaway, to find you a great evil is at work killing your fellow students and to be unable to tell the good guys from the bad so trust and friendship is always in question.

I
Ria Loader
Boarding school magic

I like the characters and the progression of their friendships. Some of the board ing school tropes lacked interest, and that makes it a three rating for me.
  • Mark of the Succubus, vol. 1 (Mark of the Succubus, #1)
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 6
  • Pig Bride, Vol. 01
  • Spellbound and Determined
  • The Oak Prison
  • Frost (Stork, #2)
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 5
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 2
  • Magic's Child (Magic or Madness, #3)
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Converting Kate
  • Rin-Ne 5 (Rin-Ne, #5)
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • The Scarlet Letterman (Bard Academy, #2)
  • The Heart of the Witch
  • Forsaken Harbor (Summer Chronicles, #2)
  • Solstice Magic (A Calgary Stampede Adventure, #1)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &a ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Shadow Grail (4 books)
  • Legacies (Shadow Grail, #1)
  • Sacrifices (Shadow Grail, #3)
  • Victories (Shadow Grail, #4)

“Doctor MacKenzie says "Sometimes I think the Victorians had the right idea. When you lost a family member back then you were suppose to be in full mourning, dress in nothing but black, for a whole year. Then you went into something they called 'half mourning' for another full year, adn during those two years, you were pretty much expected to have emotional breakdowns, you could do it whenever you felt you needed to, and everybody would support you. Now?, A month after a tragedy, maybe two, and you're expected to be all better-or down pills so you can pretend you are.” 9 likes