Start by marking “The Next Place” as Want to Read:
The Next Place

The Next Place

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  50 reviews
An inspirational journey of light and hope to a place where earthly hurts are left behind.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 9/1/1997 Pages: 36 Reading Level: Age 5 and Up
Published September 1st 1997 by Waldman House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Next Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next Place

Julie
This is a great picture book which i interpret as being about life after death. Or if not life, then the thing that is after death but is not life (as we know it). I am going to read it at my Gran's funeral.
SJ
We all die. So why do so many work so hard not to talk about it? This absolutely beautiful illustrated book tackles what happens after death in a lovely comforting beautiful way. I found, as an adult, it was just what I needed during a difficult time to put into perspective how we are all connected to one another. It makes this book equally a good gift for an adult who has lost someone, as it is as a tool to talk about death with a child.

Different groups will not like this book for different rea...more
Magpie67
What a beautiful poem about traveling to Heaven. Simply put "The body I once lived in won't be part of me at all. I will finally be perfect. I will be without a flaw. I will never make one more mistake, or break the smallest law. And the me that was impatient, or was angry or unkind, will simply be a memory. The me I left behind. I will travel empty-handed. There is not a single thing I have collected in my life that I would ever want to bring except... the love of those who loved me, and the wa...more
Mel
A beautifully written and illustrated book for all ages. It gave me a sense of peace after the loss of a loved one.
Heidi
Summary: The Next Place is an inspirational journey of light and hope to a place where earthly hurts are left behind. An uncomplicated journey of awe and wonder to a destination without barriers.
Lose yourself in the uplifting sense of comfort and serenity. Embrace the joyful spirit of oneness. Then pour yourself into the lives of those you love.
The Next Place is, above all, a celebration of life. Hear the music. Feel the warmth. And be carried away along life's everlasting flight. Thanks Goodrea...more
Arin Williams
This books uses rhyme, full-page mixed media illustrations, and stylized text to create a peaceful journey into the next place; it seems to be a metaphor for traveling to Heaven or a similar afterlife. The author describes leaving behind a physical form, worldly possessions, and all imperfection; all they will take is the love and friendship found during their lifetime. The ambiguity of the language used allows for application with individuals of all walks of life. 32 pages.
Erin Shepard
I was given this book after my father passed away after a long sickness. It moved me to tears and I re-read it whenever I miss him or need some peace. I would recommend this book to anyone
Sara Furr
I love this book. It is a beautiful way to explain death to children and adults. My daughter brought this home from the school library when she was in 3rd grade, having chosen it due to the illustrations on the cover. We read it together and I found myself feeling comforted, believing there is a "next place" but not always being sure about what or where it is. Now as I travel the road of grief again, I have read and re-read this book. I even read this to my sister who is terminally ill and we we...more
Charlene
A visually stunning book that portrays death as a great and beautiful journey.
Mary
Beautiful.
Rachel
Poetic and poignant book explores what "The Next Place" will be like. While nicely open to interpretation, the author does assure young readers that their bodies will be left behind, that every material thing they ever had will be left behind, but that all the love and relationships, laughter and memories will be there. At times bittersweet, this ends up as a moving exploration of change, renewal, and regeneration outside the bounds of our earthly lives.
Fascinating! This book talks about the after life basically without actually coming out and tying it to any religion. This would be a great book to try to soothe a child who has recently experienced a death in the family or something like that, or if the child just asks about what happens after one dies. I'm not sure I would have this in the classroom, but it is a great book that student's parents might choose to read.
Cheryl
Nov 17, 2008 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, any age, who is dealing with grief
The most perfect book for anyone dealing with death. Altho it is a children's book, I think it is perfect for adults, as well, especially when the frief is new. This book speaks to the heart - when it is the heart that is breaking. Self help books on grief are better read 6 months or so after a death has been experienced. They will speak to your mind, when your mind is ready to understand the grieving process.
Deyanne
Having recently lost a loved one, this book was recommended to me. I found it uplifting, comforting and inspiring all at the same time. Filled with wonderful thoughts like: "I will be absolutely free of the things that I held onto that were holding onto me" makes me want to read and reread it. Wouldn't be marvelous if we could create a heaven on earth in our hearts and homes!

Jen
I remembered this book today as I was picking out my clothes tonight for a funeral for one of my student's parents tomorrow. I wonder if it is a comfort to kids to have it read to them as it is for me to read it to them. A must read for any adult who has young children and they find themselves needing to understand and explain what happens after death.
Lisa
I picked this book up for my daughter to read in the waiting room at our doctor's office. After she silently read it, I asked her what it was about, she said, Heaven. I read it to myself and it is such a beautiful book. The illustrations are amazing, but the words are so comforting and profound. All I can say is that this is a must have.
Dolly
Jun 28, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nicely illustrated book of reassuring words and platitudes about the next life or afterlife or however you choose to define it. It is calming, inspiring and moving, and is likely to bring peace to those who have suffered a loss. It is a good book to read to children when discussing the concept of death to them.
Gerry Wyatt
An amazing, comforting book. I have shared this with so many friends and family members in their last days.
Vicki G
I was trying to find comfort imagining he was in the place the book mentions. I wanted to believe he went from a brutally violent death to "glide beyond the rainbows. Drift above the sky. Fly into the wonder, without ever wondering why."
Very little eases the pain of a violent death.
Cheryl
Gentle peaceful description of a glimpse of author's view of 'the next place'. The imagery is calming and gentle and I enjoyed the text but very much new-age. Some would find this very comforting, others may find it incongruous with their own beliefs.
Shannon
This book helped me weather the loss of my cousin. Beautifully written, gorgeously illustrated. A must for anybody who has lost a loved one.
Peggy Morrison
I don't know how many of these books i have bought - for children, for adults all dealing with loss. It is a magnificently beautiful book lifts you up to see the possibilities.

Truly my favorite book.
Dlmc
For me, this book describes Heaven.... what happens to us when we die. I believe it can be a great comfort to someone whose loved one has just died and I send it as a sympathy card to many.
emotional for me. My grandma gave it to me. A lovely and non-specific description of afterlife. Highly recommend for helping very young people cope with a loved one who has a terminal illness.
Mari
Mar 20, 2008 Mari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone...
Recommended to Mari by: I came across it when researching books on death and dying...
An ethereal children's or adult's picture book on what happens after we die. Comforting, beautiful, and peaceful. A wonderful resource for those who have lossed a loved one.

=^..^=
mb
Lisa Factora-borchers
Simple and beautiful. A gorgeously illustrated children's book. I gave this as a gift to my then boyfriend, now husband who lost his 11 year old cousin in a tragic accident.
Rainzen
This is supposed to be a childrens book but it has a very special place on my bookshelf. Everything about this book is incredibly well done and simply beautiful.
Sally
Rather new-agey; very differnt views on the afterlife than mine. Unique topic for a picture book! Clouds, hearts, birds, stars, music and mosaic illustrations.
Wendy
I gave this book to all my family and friends after the death of my son. It gently reminds us that there is something beyond and what it might be like.
Amanda
I cannot tell you how many times I have recommended this book. I've never seen a more beautiful, simple, all-encompassing explanation of "The Next Place".
  • I'll Always Love You
  • On Meadowview Street
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss
  • My Mama Had a Dancing Heart
It's Monday, Mrs. Jolly Bones! The Sea Of Sleep Bugtown Boogie Paw Prints in the Stars: A Farewell and Journal for a Beloved Pet Kiki's Hats