Start by marking “A Wanted Man (Stone Creek, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Wanted Man (Stone Creek, #2)

A Wanted Man (Stone Creek #2)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  2,456 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
The past has a way of catching up with folks in Stone Creek, Arizona. So schoolmarm Lark Morgan and Marshal Rowdy Rhodes are determined to hide their secrets - and deny their instant attraction. That shouldn’t be too hard, since each suspects the other of living a lie. Her too-fancy clothes and big-city ways inspire gossip all over town; his blond good looks and impudent g ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published June 26th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Wanted Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wanted Man

Carol Gambill
Oct 11, 2010 Carol Gambill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very nice read. Smooth, characters well-developed.

All in all, 'A Wanted Man' gave you a real feel like taking a dusty stroll in the ole West while wanting to greet everyone along the way with a 'howdy'. Ms. Millers dialogue between her characters was very fluent and credible, especially between father and son. I loved how Ms. Miller entwined a family, dysfunction at that, and made it work throughout the entire story.

Rowdy Rhodes was a surefooted individual with a gentle, caring natur
Elise Wilson
Apr 20, 2011 Elise Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Not only is it well-written, with vivid and descriptive details, which make you feel like you're right there with the characters in Stone Creek , Arizona, but it is also a story filled with mystery and plot twists.

There is great chemistry between Rowdy (the hero) and Lark (the heroine). They have something in common in that they each have secrets and are running from a past! They instinctively know this and are drawn to each other. This keeps the romance alive and the r
nurmawati
Jul 01, 2015 nurmawati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr, cowboy
Baguuuus.....4.5 stars...
Buku pertama linda lael miller yg gw bsca...gak nyesel deh...
Bagi pecinta american HR setting thn 1900 an mesti baca...
Suka sama rowdy rhodes...mantan penjshat yang jadi marshall fi stone creek..
Pengen baca ttg sodara2 rowdy..

Nb : kirain buku linda gak ada hot2 nya...ternyata ADAAAAA sodara2...lumayan hot di bagian2 terakhir..so bagi prcinta buku "pedes" ...sabar2 ya bacanya hihihi
Mareli
Aug 22, 2015 Mareli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning of the story I was surprised, because I was expecting some relative of Sam O'Ballivan and instead I got Rowdy. Well, not that I'm complaining ;)

Rowdy is good!!! I loved him and Lark. She was very afraid but in the end she was strong.

The ending is someway strange.

Good anyway!!!
Christel
Jan 28, 2008 Christel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book!! I love Miller's writing. Just another one of her books to add to my collection. I hope the rest of the series is just as good as the first 2 books
Ladiibbug
Dec 15, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Western Romance Fans
Recommended to Ladiibbug by: Donna Brooks
#2 Stone Creek Western Historical Romance

Arizona Territory, 1905

Very nice :-) LLM writes with such authenticity. It's the little details that transport the reader to the Old West ... such as the characters using flour sacks or burlap feed sacks to dry off after bathing.

Stone Creek's new marshall, Rowdy Rhodes is hiding a secret. He's an outlaw. The pretty schoolmarm, Lark, has secrets too, and Rowdy's made it his business to discover them.

As with #1 The Man From Stone Creek, a wonderful story, l
Rebekah
I should have seen this coming, but remember how the first book had a guy named Rowdy in it? THIS WAS ROWDY'S BOOK. And his dog. He's a town marshal, with a past! A secret past! There's a schoolteacher named Lark. With a secret past! WHAT ARE THEY HIDING FROM??

A development in the last 50 pages made me say, "oh, twist!" aloud. And it actually ISN'T a man that saves Lark and kills the bad guy at the end (spoiler alert: the bad guy gets killed). Don't worry, the dog is still fine.
Wendy
Feb 04, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers/cowboy lovers
I very much liked this book. I fond that the characters are people that you can relate to and you come to love a lot. Rowdy is a man running from his past and is asked to be the sherrif af a town in Northern Arizona. He is learning his job and falls for the local school marm. He is intrigued by her when she is everything he isn't and can't stay away from her. He must change his future and stay away from the past, including his outlaw family. I would recomend this book to anyone.
Jeanne
Jan 09, 2010 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
This is the second in Miller's Stone Creek series. It is the story of Lark Morgan and Rowdy Rhodes. The characters were very likeable, the story was good, it had everything a good western needs. I'm looking forward to reading the next in this series.
Ursula
This is the 2nd book in the Stone Creek series. I enjoyed it better than the first one the characters were better and so was the storyline. Save a horse and ride a cowboy Yeehaw!
Katy
Mar 22, 2017 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both Lark Morgan and Rowdy Rhodes arrive at Stone Creek, months apart. Both are instantly attracted to each other, but they both have secrets to hide. Train robberies, missing husbands, family with a name different from what you have, an innocent child who loses her father but unwittingly gives away a secret,,,,a lot going on in a small sleepy town, the schoolmarm and the sheriff discover.
Rhonda Soukup
Two people hiding identities in the old west. One is a lady who divorced her powerful, abusive husband and the other a train robber hiding from the law. They meet and are attracted to each other. Other interesting things occur in this book.
Mahareni Sukadi
Lebih seruuuuu...lebih tegaaaaaang...lebih komplet ceritanyaaaaa...dibanding The Man from Stone Creek - Pria dari Stone Creek by Linda Lael Miller. Ada lucunya - pas Pappy, Rowdy, Gideon bereuni, sumpah bikin ngikik-ngikik, apalagi pas Gideon nonjok hidung Pappy. Ada sedihnya - tentunya pas bagian ending, sukses bikin daku mbrebes mili. Ada misterinya - teka-teki keberadaan Mr. Porter bikin merinding. Apalagi yaaaaa? O iyaaaa...tegangnya dapat juga, pas penyergapan para perampok, juga bagian ending pas Lark dan Autry berhadapan. Duuuuuhh...Mrs. Porter, beneran g ...more
4 1/2 stars
The second in the Stone Creek series follows Rowdy Rhodes who was badged as marshal of Haven, Arizona, by Sam O'Ballivan in The Man from Stone Creek. Rowdy has been called to Stone Creek by Sam and the major to help track train robbers plaguing the growth of the railroad.

Upon arrival in Stone Creek, Rowdy meets the schoolmarm, Lark Morgan. She is beautiful and guarded and obviously hiding a few secrets--like Rowdy himself.

I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first. Rowdy was a fun
Romancenesia
How they met...
Hidup dalam ketidakpastian dan menjadi buronan membuat Rowdy Rhodes menyetujui permintaan Sam O'Ballivan untuk menjadi marshal di kota Stone Creek. Merupakan hal yang lucu sebenarnya karena pria yang dihormatinya itu memintanya untuk menangkap para pencuri kereta api dan yang dicurigai oleh Sam adalah komplotan Yarbro. Komplotan keluarganya sendiri. Sebuah masa lalu yang berusaha dilupakannya.

Tidak berbeda dengan Rowdy yang berusaha menyembunyikan masa lalu, Lark Morgan juga serup
Kate Vale
Jul 31, 2013 Kate Vale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still captured by my summer reading cluster of historical romances set in the Old West of Arizona, I dove into WANTED MAN, the second in the Stone Creek series. A character who shows up oh so casually in the first title is the main character here. Rowdy Rhodes (not his real name, but how he decides on it is explained) is hired by Sam O'Ballivan as Marshall in Stone Creek, Arizona and swears him in as a Ranger, too, should he be so needed.

One of the first people he meets is Lark Morgan (not her r
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Awesome book. I always thought it would be Texas Glory for me but this one is right up there with it. Lark Morgan a former polls and singer lady is hiding from her ex- husband Autry Whitman. When she meets Rowdy Rhodes (Aka Robert Yarboro aka ex-train robber) the new sherif of Stone Creak, Arizona. Sparks fly but in the end all comes down to the revelation of secrets on both parts. Lark the new teacher for the kids there is like one more person to worry about. But turns out Rowdy is not working ...more
Beatrice Drury
Apr 24, 2016 Beatrice Drury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad that Rowdy, a minor character in Man from Stone Creek, got his own story. As in all of Linda Lael Miller's books, the characters are believable and worth reading about.

Nearly everyone in this story has secrets. Because of those secrets some people die (thankfully in some instances for the better). A well deserved HEA for Lark and Rowdy.

I suspect my next comment is because I am "of a certain age". I could not call Rowdy Rhodes by this name for most of the book. I kept calling him Rowdy
Cristina Contilli
"Allora era così, appartenere a qualcosa, avere una vera casa. E casa non voleva dire una città, o un edificio, come aveva sempre creduto. Era una persona. Casa per Maddie era il cuore coraggioso e grande di Sam O' Ballivan."

Questa volta anche se siamo in un'ambientazione western, la maestrina non è lei, ma lui, si tratta, però, di un ruolo assunto temporaneamente (anche perché il nostro protagonista alle prese con i suoi poco obbedienti scolari più che virile è imbranato!!!) perché in realtà Sa
M
Dec 15, 2011 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Linda L.MIller's old west books. Train robber turned marshall, Rowdy Rhodes is trying to stay on the good side of the law but his father and brothers seem to have other ideas. Rowdy's pa and brothers were train robbers and he hopes they have given up the family business. The local school mistress, Lark Morgan, is also a distraction for Rowdy, but a pleasant one. Lark is running from a family connection also, but her troubles have stayed far away until now. Her ex husband owns the railroad ...more
Pam
Aug 09, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Pretty good; I read this one before I read The Man from Stone Creek, and I actually liked this one better. Rowdy was a more interesting hero to me than Sam, I guess. I was kind of disappointed that there was very little carry-over of the characters between the books. Rowdy isn't developed much as a character in The Man from Stone Creek, and Sam and Maddie don't play much of a part in A Wanted Man. I have two other books from the series that I plan to read, but I'm now kind of doubtful that they ...more
Jintana
บทแรก ๆ เรืองจะเอือย ๆ ไปนิด แตลองฟังไป ๆ กเริมสนุกขึนและชวงหลัง ๆ ยิงเขมขนโดยเฉพาะฉากโรแมนซทีมาตีตืนเอาบททาย ๆ

พระเอกมีชนักติดหลังโดนทางการออกหมายจับจากการปลนรถไฟ หนีมาที Stone Creek เพือเริมตนชีวิตใหม สวนนางเอกกหนีสามีสูงวัยทีมีทังเงินและอำนาจมาเปนครูอยูที Stone Creek โดยเชาหองอยูในบานของ Mrs. Porter ทีเปิดบานเปนเกสทเฮาส นางเอกหวาดระแวงวาพระเอกจะเปนคนทีสามีเธอจางมาเพือตามหาตัวเธอในขณะทีพระเอกกรูสึกวานางเอกปิดบังอะไรบางอยางอยู

ฟังไดเพลิน ๆ สนุกพอใชให 3.5 ดาวละกัน
Emily
Feb 09, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowdy Rhodes, AKA Rob Yarbro is a former train robber and wanted man trying to hide from his past and start a new life. Sam O'Ballivan offers him the job of Marshal of Stone Creek and he gets a taste for being on the right side of the law. Lark Morgan is on the run from a wealthy and powerful abusive ex-husband, working as a Stone Creek's schoolteacher. The two uncover each others secrets as they fall for each other.
A sweet romance with good characterization, excellent chemistry between the two
Paula
Rowdy was appointed marshal in book 1 by Sam O'Balivan and decided to keep the job. Now, Sam is back in Stone Creek with Maddie and has requested Rowdy come to Stone Creek for a new assignment. While working as marshal, he meets and falls for Lark, the overdressed school marm. Rowdy's new job comes with the responsibility of catching train thieves, who just so happen to be his family. Things get interesting when Rowdy realizes he has been set up by Sam to find his family of robbers and the owner ...more
Megan
I love Linda Lael Miller. She writes such strong characters and entertaining books.

Rowdy Rhodes is an Outlaw turned marshal who is hired to hunt down some train robbers. Unfortunately for him, those train robbers might be relatives. He falls in love with the school marm, Lark, who is running from her powerful ex husband. They turn to eachother for strength.

I love the charters in this book: Olivia, Mrs. Porter, the other tenants, and of course Gideon. I look forward to reading the rest of the se
Patricia Atkinson
Apr 29, 2016 Patricia Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book starts out with the story of the boys father pyton yarbo who is living under a different name for 10 years is accused of robbing trains and he has not done that for years.geideon goes to stay with rowdy who has just been appointed sherriff of stone creek.it tells the story of lark just coming to town running from her husband.it tells about Lydia and her sickness and gideion writing the letter for her.
kate
Sep 16, 2013 kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truthfully this is my least favorite of the Stone Creek series. The others were much better. I think it's because I found the Lark character extremely weak and wishy washy. And more then a little naive for a girl with her background. Which I won't go into because I don't want to add a spoiler. Rowdy had a cock of the walk attitude but then he was a marshal/thief/cowboy. That comes with a certain arrogance. Not a bad book but I guess I hold LLM to a higher standard.
Nicole Galbraith
This is book two in the Stone Creek series. It does feature characters from the first book, but could read as a stand alone.

Lark Morgan and Rowdy Rhodes are instantly attracted to each other, but both sense the other has secrets. They're both right; each has a dangerous past they are trying to escape. I found this to be a sweet romance and I really liked both Lark and Rowdy. However, I felt like the story dragged in some parts, which is why I rated it a 3 instead of 5.
Julie Morales
Feb 19, 2016 Julie Morales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Western romances. Even Louis L'Amour manages to put some romance in his Westerns so I love his books too. Linda Lael Miller can put some romance scenes in that make your toes curl while still reminding you of the element of suspense. I've read this book a while back, before I started reading series in order, but since I read the first one not long ago, I thought I'd reread this one and liked it just as much as I did the first time, even knowing how things ended.
Denise
Nov 10, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miller has a way of drawing you in. This is a romance but I found miller looking for western female authors and she fills that bill well. I am looking forward to the remainer of this series and moving on to her others. If you want a light hearted western that has a bit of steam under the sheets this is the book for you.
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • The Loner
  • Frontier Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #1)
  • Summer Breeze
  • Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Stone Creek (6 books)
  • The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #1)
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • A Stone Creek Christmas (Stone Creek, #4)
  • The Bridegroom (Stone Creek, #5)
  • At Home In Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #6)