Start by marking “A Wanted Man (Stone Creek, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Wanted Man (Stone Creek, #2)

A Wanted Man (Stone Creek #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,960 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The past has a way of catching up with folks in Stone Creek, Arizona. So schoolmarm Lark Morgan and Marshal Rowdy Rhodes are determined to hide their secrets - and deny their instant attraction. That shouldn’t be too hard, since each suspects the other of living a lie. Her too-fancy clothes and big-city ways inspire gossip all over town; his blond good looks and impudent g ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published June 26th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Wanted Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wanted Man

Christel
Excellent Book!! I love Miller's writing. Just another one of her books to add to my collection. I hope the rest of the series is just as good as the first 2 books
Carol Gambill
This was a very nice read. Smooth, characters well-developed.

All in all, 'A Wanted Man' gave you a real feel like taking a dusty stroll in the ole West while wanting to greet everyone along the way with a 'howdy'. Ms. Millers dialogue between her characters was very fluent and credible, especially between father and son. I loved how Ms. Miller entwined a family, dysfunction at that, and made it work throughout the entire story.

Rowdy Rhodes was a surefooted individual with a gentle, caring natur
Elise Wilson
I really liked this book. Not only is it well-written, with vivid and descriptive details, which make you feel like you're right there with the characters in Stone Creek , Arizona, but it is also a story filled with mystery and plot twists.

There is great chemistry between Rowdy (the hero) and Lark (the heroine). They have something in common in that they each have secrets and are running from a past! They instinctively know this and are drawn to each other. This keeps the romance alive and the r
Ladiibbug
Jan 27, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Western Romance Fans
Recommended to Ladiibbug by: Donna Brooks
#2 Stone Creek Western Historical Romance

Arizona Territory, 1905

Very nice :-) LLM writes with such authenticity. It's the little details that transport the reader to the Old West ... such as the characters using flour sacks or burlap feed sacks to dry off after bathing.

Stone Creek's new marshall, Rowdy Rhodes is hiding a secret. He's an outlaw. The pretty schoolmarm, Lark, has secrets too, and Rowdy's made it his business to discover them.

As with #1 The Man From Stone Creek, a wonderful story, l
Wendy
Feb 04, 2009 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers/cowboy lovers
I very much liked this book. I fond that the characters are people that you can relate to and you come to love a lot. Rowdy is a man running from his past and is asked to be the sherrif af a town in Northern Arizona. He is learning his job and falls for the local school marm. He is intrigued by her when she is everything he isn't and can't stay away from her. He must change his future and stay away from the past, including his outlaw family. I would recomend this book to anyone.
Rebekah
I should have seen this coming, but remember how the first book had a guy named Rowdy in it? THIS WAS ROWDY'S BOOK. And his dog. He's a town marshal, with a past! A secret past! There's a schoolteacher named Lark. With a secret past! WHAT ARE THEY HIDING FROM??

A development in the last 50 pages made me say, "oh, twist!" aloud. And it actually ISN'T a man that saves Lark and kills the bad guy at the end (spoiler alert: the bad guy gets killed). Don't worry, the dog is still fine.
Jeanne
This is the second in Miller's Stone Creek series. It is the story of Lark Morgan and Rowdy Rhodes. The characters were very likeable, the story was good, it had everything a good western needs. I'm looking forward to reading the next in this series.
Ursula
This is the 2nd book in the Stone Creek series. I enjoyed it better than the first one the characters were better and so was the storyline. Save a horse and ride a cowboy Yeehaw!
Emily
Rowdy Rhodes, AKA Rob Yarbro is a former train robber and wanted man trying to hide from his past and start a new life. Sam O'Ballivan offers him the job of Marshal of Stone Creek and he gets a taste for being on the right side of the law. Lark Morgan is on the run from a wealthy and powerful abusive ex-husband, working as a Stone Creek's schoolteacher. The two uncover each others secrets as they fall for each other.
A sweet romance with good characterization, excellent chemistry between the two
4 1/2 stars
The second in the Stone Creek series follows Rowdy Rhodes who was badged as marshal of Haven, Arizona, by Sam O'Ballivan in The Man from Stone Creek. Rowdy has been called to Stone Creek by Sam and the major to help track train robbers plaguing the growth of the railroad.

Upon arrival in Stone Creek, Rowdy meets the schoolmarm, Lark Morgan. She is beautiful and guarded and obviously hiding a few secrets--like Rowdy himself.

I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first. Rowdy was a fun
Kate Vale
Still captured by my summer reading cluster of historical romances set in the Old West of Arizona, I dove into WANTED MAN, the second in the Stone Creek series. A character who shows up oh so casually in the first title is the main character here. Rowdy Rhodes (not his real name, but how he decides on it is explained) is hired by Sam O'Ballivan as Marshall in Stone Creek, Arizona and swears him in as a Ranger, too, should he be so needed.

One of the first people he meets is Lark Morgan (not her r
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Awesome book. I always thought it would be Texas Glory for me but this one is right up there with it. Lark Morgan a former polls and singer lady is hiding from her ex- husband Autry Whitman. When she meets Rowdy Rhodes (Aka Robert Yarboro aka ex-train robber) the new sherif of Stone Creak, Arizona. Sparks fly but in the end all comes down to the revelation of secrets on both parts. Lark the new teacher for the kids there is like one more person to worry about. But turns out Rowdy is not working ...more
Stacie
A continuation of the Stone Creek Series. Lark is a school teacher who has a mystery past that she is running from. Marshal Rowdy Rhodes is a man with a past to but he is a wanted man trying to become law man in his town of Stone Creek. They have an attraction to each other but feel that the other is hiding something.
Cristina Contilli
"Allora era così, appartenere a qualcosa, avere una vera casa. E casa non voleva dire una città, o un edificio, come aveva sempre creduto. Era una persona. Casa per Maddie era il cuore coraggioso e grande di Sam O' Ballivan."

Questa volta anche se siamo in un'ambientazione western, la maestrina non è lei, ma lui, si tratta, però, di un ruolo assunto temporaneamente (anche perché il nostro protagonista alle prese con i suoi poco obbedienti scolari più che virile è imbranato!!!) perché in realtà Sa
Mindy
I love Linda L.MIller's old west books. Train robber turned marshall, Rowdy Rhodes is trying to stay on the good side of the law but his father and brothers seem to have other ideas. Rowdy's pa and brothers were train robbers and he hopes they have given up the family business. The local school mistress, Lark Morgan, is also a distraction for Rowdy, but a pleasant one. Lark is running from a family connection also, but her troubles have stayed far away until now. Her ex husband owns the railroad ...more
Barbara Van zandt
i just couldnt put it down, I love a good western and this is the 1st time I have read this author and I'd enjoyed her writting
Pam
Pretty good; I read this one before I read The Man from Stone Creek, and I actually liked this one better. Rowdy was a more interesting hero to me than Sam, I guess. I was kind of disappointed that there was very little carry-over of the characters between the books. Rowdy isn't developed much as a character in The Man from Stone Creek, and Sam and Maddie don't play much of a part in A Wanted Man. I have two other books from the series that I plan to read, but I'm now kind of doubtful that they ...more
Sandy Forman-Johnson
alittle tough going but eventually the story line moved. LLM usually writes better than this
Meaghan
historical romance - the lawman (who isnt what he says he is) and the school teacher (who isnt what she says she is. the part at the end with the landlady's husband was really weird.
Jintana
บทแรก ๆ เรื่องจะเอื่อย ๆ ไปนิด แต่ลองฟังไป ๆ ก็เริ่มสนุกขึ้นและช่วงหลัง ๆ ยิ่งเข้มข้นโดยเฉพาะฉากโรแมนซ์ที่มาตีตื้นเอาบทท้าย ๆ

พระเอกมีชนักติดหลังโดนทางการออกหมายจับจากการปล้นรถไฟ หนีมาที่ Stone Creek เพื่อเริ่มต้นชีวิตใหม่ ส่วนนางเอกก็หนีสามีสูงวัยที่มีทั้งเงินและอำนาจมาเป็นครูอยู่ที่ Stone Creek โดยเช่าห้องอยู่ในบ้านของ Mrs. Porter ที่เปิดบ้านเป็นเกสท์เฮ้าส์ นางเอกหวาดระแวงว่าพระเอกจะเป็นคนที่สามีเธอจ้างมาเพื่อตามหาตัวเธอในขณะที่พระเอกก็รู้สึกว่านางเอกปิดบังอะไรบางอย่างอยู่

ฟังได้เพลิน ๆ สนุกพอ
Megan
I love Linda Lael Miller. She writes such strong characters and entertaining books.

Rowdy Rhodes is an Outlaw turned marshal who is hired to hunt down some train robbers. Unfortunately for him, those train robbers might be relatives. He falls in love with the school marm, Lark, who is running from her powerful ex husband. They turn to eachother for strength.

I love the charters in this book: Olivia, Mrs. Porter, the other tenants, and of course Gideon. I look forward to reading the rest of the se
Debbie Turner
It was a good western.
Jenny
Pretty much anything Linda Lael Miller writes is great!
kate
Truthfully this is my least favorite of the Stone Creek series. The others were much better. I think it's because I found the Lark character extremely weak and wishy washy. And more then a little naive for a girl with her background. Which I won't go into because I don't want to add a spoiler. Rowdy had a cock of the walk attitude but then he was a marshal/thief/cowboy. That comes with a certain arrogance. Not a bad book but I guess I hold LLM to a higher standard.
Kelly
I was wondering what was up with Mrs. Porter the whole time so that really piqued my curiosity. As for the novel as a whole I found it enjoyable and thought the author did a great job creating the characters. I'm going to school right now for acupuncture so of course it was a nice surprise to stumble upon Hon Sing's character. I thought it rather odd thrown into a western .. But I guess it worked ! Overall good read.
This book was definitely not bad. ;) I've already read a later book inthis series (The Bridegroom) and I was interested enough in the characters to seek out the rest of the series. My bigeest beef (and the reason why I didn't give it a higher rating) is that Miller reused a plot from this book in an almost identical fashion in The Bridegroom which I think is just plain lazy writing.
Julianne
The last schoolmaster turned out to be an Arizona Ranger, so enter the new schoolmarm. With secrets. And the new marshal is just the one to figure them out! But will she discover his secrets, instead?

This is Stone Creek, Book #2.

I read this in 2007. Reread it again in 2011. Still loving anything by Linda Lael Miller!

Denise
Miller has a way of drawing you in. This is a romance but I found miller looking for western female authors and she fills that bill well. I am looking forward to the remainer of this series and moving on to her others. If you want a light hearted western that has a bit of steam under the sheets this is the book for you.
Janet Horton
This is a part of another of Miller's series, A Stone Creek Novel, where she writes about family and brothers. Again, there is love-hate-discension-disagreements and the shaping into maturity. There are the outlaws and the converted; romance and mystery, and yes even laughter. I enjoyed this book just as I have her others.
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • Summer Breeze
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • The Loner
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...
Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3) McKettrick's Luck (McKettrick Men, #1) (McKettricks, #6) High Country Bride (McKettrick, #1)