Start by marking “School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)” as Want to Read:
School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)

School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #7)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Humphrey is excited to get back to Room 26 and see all his old classmates. But on the first day of school, a bunch of strange kids arrive and no matter how loudly he squeaks up, they don't realize they're in the wrong room! Once Humphrey gets over the shock of being with a whole new group of students, he gets busy learning all about them and their problems. There's Rolling ...more
Published June 30th 2011 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about School Days According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Days According to Humphrey

Samantha Ray
This book is appropriate for Second Grade and Up. Written in the perspective of Humphrey, the classroom hamster. Excited to be in Classroom 26 are. He believes that they are in the wrong room, but finally understands that these kids are his new classmates and so he wants to learn all about them.

1) Why do you think Humphrey believes the students are in the wrong classroom?
2) Have you ever had to adjust to a new setting? How were you able to transition?
3) How did Mrs. Brisbane's class
Oct 08, 2014 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
Shelves: children
I really enjoyed this installment!

I loved that Room 26 had a whole new class of students, with a whole new set of problems. I also appreciated that it took time for Humphrey to get used to his new classmates. Even as an adult, sometimes I have to remind myself that you can't compare people you've just met with people you've known for years and years. Friendships take time to develop.

I especially liked the way Mrs. Brisbane handled the two students whom Mrs. Wright accused of misbehaving. I hav
Eliza Snow
I was thinking while reading this book, how I would recommend it to teachers or those studying to become teachers for elementary school grade levels. It is interesting and cool to learn how the teacher, Mrs. Brisbane, manages the classroom and resolves conflicts with students (or a group) that Humphrey the Hamster gets to see. Her techniques are clever and of course Humphrey's plans to help out are just as clever too. He simply cannot talk to the students like Mrs. Brisbane does so instead, he c ...more
We haven't read any of this series besides this book and it is admittedly for a younger target audience. While Humphrey is cute the story was boring. I don't see a beginning reader being motivated by a story with little plot such as this. It is predictable and repetitive but not really in the way that supports learning. Humphrey describes everything as "unsqueakably" good or other simple adjective. We started using it as a game- with each unsqueakably we had to do 10 jumping jacks or clap 5 time ...more
It's a new school year in room 26 and everyone's favorite classroom pet is back. But this time there are new students with a whole new set of problems and challenges for him to "take care of." Humphrey's off and running setting problems to right in this wonderful addition to one of my favorite series.
Jan 14, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is another fun story in the Humprhey series by Betty G. Birney. I introduced my oldest to these books when I brought the first one home from England as a present. She has really taken to these books and I am so grateful, since she's read virtually nothing but fairy books for the last two years. We both read these books separately and then discuss the plots and themes. These books involve a class of third graders and the stories have a lot of moral lessons that are very age appropriate for c ...more
This is such a cute children's book series. I read this book with my son and we both enjoyed it very much. Humphrey the hamster is a very entertaining narrator and the problems that he, Mrs. Brisbane, and the students in her class face each day were all problems that were easy for my son to relate to so it made for a very engaging read for him. He's already begging me to take him back to the library to get another Humphrey book so he can see what happens next in Mrs. Brisbane's class.
I enjoy reading the Humphrey books. In School Days - it's the first day of a new school year. So that means Room 26 gets a new class. Like Humphrey, I wasn't sure if I would like the new class as much as the original class, but luckily the author did a great job with this. I ended up enjoying this book as much as all the previous ones. I look forward to reading the rest in the series!
Another great book in this series! I liked that there's a new set of students (new school year), with a new set of issues to deal with-keeps the story fresh. The old students make an appearance here and there, which was a nice way to connect the two school years. This one dealt a lot with learning to get along with new people and working together. There was also a plotline about a student that had issues with being on time/getting distracted, and although they resolved it, I don't think it was a ...more
Juliette Molina
I loved this book so much that I all ready can't wait to move to 4th grade! To a class hamsters point of view starting a new school year is very confusing aspeashily when you can't wait to see your old friends:)
Sarah Beneke
Another great Humphrey adventure! This one takes you into a new school year with a new group of students. Hard for Humphrey at first (and maybe a little hard for us as we liked the kids from last year's class) but we all ended up liking the new group! Such a fun series!
My students will enjoy this book. It has humour and important lessons to be learned.
Oh this series is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! I hope Betty writes more!
just okay, boring and cutesy

A children's chapter book, a little boring but okay. A little cutesy (which for me is a negative).

I think the reading level is significantly higher than the story-interest grade-level. In other words, the story itself, if read aloud, would appeal to Kindergarten and 1st graders, but the reading level is at least 2nd grade. I could be wrong, I'm not an elementary school teacher. This opinion is based only on what I myself liked to read as a child, and what my own kids
Hannah Stone
It was very interesting
Audience: Grades 2 and up classroom teachers and students
Appeal: This book is told from the point of view of the classroom pet hamster, Humphrey. It is an "unsqueakably" good read aloud. It deals with beginning a new school year. It would be great for students that are nervous about starting a new school year. Humphrey adds a new "rule for school" at the end of each chapter.

The first Humphrey book, The World According to Humphrey, was the intermediate Nebraska Golden Sower Award winner in 2008.

This was the first Humphrey book I have read so I didn't really know who some of the characters were that Humphrey referred to, but it didn't really interfere with my understanding of the plot. The story did seem to drag out, like the author was trying to make the story longer than it needed to be, but I think children 9 and under would still enjoy this series. It's a good step up from beginning chapter books into a bit longer chapter book. It would also make for a good read aloud.
My son brought this home after his teacher read it to the class. He and I then read it together. I can't believe I hadn't been introduced to Humphrey and Og before now. What fun characters Ms. Birney has created. Humphrey the hamster gives his new friends a lot of "help" to learn how to work together and go from being the "worst class ever" to the "best class ever". I can't wait to read some of the other adventures.
Amanda Lit
It wasn't that good
This is an excellent book for read aloud in the beginning of the school year for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. It can produce excellent discussions on the elements of a classroom, including classroom procedures, rules and regulations. The main character, the classroom hamster, does excellent analysis on student relationships in the lower primary grades.
I am so obsessed with Humphrey books!
They are so good!!
This book is about Humphrey going back to school from summer vacation.
(he is the classroom hamster).
But when he comes back Humphrey notices that all of his friends are gone!
the students are all different.He gets confused.
I highly recommend this book :)
I love reading these books with my boys, they're so cute!
Jan 06, 2013 Halle added it
Humphrey is excited to get back to room 26 and see his old class mates but when he gets to room 26 he notices that these are not his class mates from last year so Humphrey has to find out where his old class mates have gone.Where do you think his class mates have gone?
Sixth installment in the Humphrey series. Humphrey is a golden hamster and the perfect classroom pet. Of course, his job is to help the students, and he does his job well. This particular book finds him welcoming a new class to Room 26.
Love the Humphrey series for 7 year old girls (my 10 year old listens too). I liked this one in particular because it addresses the issue of changing classrooms, teachers and class mates at the beginning of the school year.
Another good one. My seven year old is very sad we don't have the next one yet.
Tina Cousins
A very cute and funny book, based on the life of Humphrey "a school classrooms hamster" and his friend a frog.
Apr 13, 2012 Ellen marked it as to-read
Just started reading this with Ryan. We loved the first Humphrey book & hope this one is as "unsqueakably" good & fun!
Kim Collins
My kids LOVE these books. This one was a tough one for this ADULT to get through...
Jul 12, 2015 Aly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: series
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Penguins
  • Riddles and Danger (The Secret Zoo #3)
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Shadow of the Shark (Magic Tree House, #53)
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball (The Fairy Bell Sister #1)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • Summer School! What Genius Thought That Up?
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Wild! (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #4)
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • March Mischief (Calendar Mysteries Series #3)
  • Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
  • When Life Gives You O.J.
  • Mousenet
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5)

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...

According to Humphrey (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
  • Imagination According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #11)

“exhausted” 0 likes