Harry Potter: The Prequel (Harry Potter, #0.5)

Harry Potter: The Prequel (Harry Potter 0.5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  24,078 ratings  ·  2,241 reviews
The Harry Potter prequel is an 800-word story written by J. K. Rowling, and was published online on 11 June 2008. Set about three years before the birth of Harry Potter, the story recounts an adventure experienced by Sirius Black and James Potter.

At the bottom of the card, JKR wrote: "From the prequel I am NOT working on - but that was fun!"

There is no official 'cover' for...more
Published June 11th 2008 by Mugglenet.com

Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
Oh, I want a whole series' worth of prequels about James, Lily and the Marauders. It's a pity J.K.Rowling said she won't write such a thing ;(
Steph Sinclair
Cute, but WAY too short to be a "book" in my humble opinion. Hopefully if she does stretch it into a full-on prequel/series, it'll be a genuine story instead of a way to milk fans for more money. Not that she'd do that, unlike some authors I could mention (shoots daggers at Stephenie Meyer for The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner). Even though she has kind of milked it with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them & such, at least she donates the proceeds to charities.
Morgan
I haven't read the Harry Potter series yet, and I am about to take a few trips this month, and since I haven't read them yet, I was thinking I would do so. I hope the the book is really good, and from what I have heard, it will be awesome...wish me luck on my journey to the world of Harry Potter!
Jeremy
Jun 16, 2012 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elondel
I'm not sure why precisely it is called 'the prequel' as it is just a small extract that hardly can be seen as the cause of the events in the Harry Potter series.

It feels like J.K. Rowling has written a fanfiction story for her own creation. Very nice indeed. Certainly when she wrote it to collect money for charity.

Although vexatiously short, it's a lovely story. Correct characterization of Sirius Black and James Potter, judging by the image we've seen of them in the books. Funny as well. It's...more
Claudette
I so miss Harry Potter.
This short, short story took me back in time, to the first time I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
Ah, the good ol' times.
Anagha
Sep 03, 2012 Anagha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: HP fanatics like me :D
I am such a Harry Potter fanatic and I had NO IDEA Rowling wrote a prequel! How could that escape my notice?

ZOMG. LOL. Are there any other ubercool expressions to define that heart-stopping moment when you realize there's Harry Potter content out there that you haven't read? This is the kind of time to create awesome abbreviations, because by golly, the prequel was hilarious, but more importantly, it gave me the chance to revisit the Potter world without actually rereading the books (I hate re-r...more
Mandy
Jen at Reading Lark
Kind of short, nice snippet though. I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing we will see more of on PotterMore.

I'm happy to read anything by JK Rowling to be honest, but I thought that this was just too short. At two pages, if that, there wasn't much that I could glean from it to add to the mythology in my head.

Sirius and James once had a scrape with the law... ok, not surprising. What was more surprising is that they both seemed to have 'Order of the Phoenix' t-shirts on, unless I interpret...more
Melissa Darnold
This is so wonderfully charming, I cannot even properly explain. As a huge J.K. Rowling fan, I was so excited when I found out that she wrote this prequel to the series. Not only was I excited that she wrote the prequel in general, I was even more psyched that she wrote it about James and Sirius. I think that many Potter fans have a closeness to James and Sirius that was never really able to be fleshed out like they might have been able to, had their deaths not been so early in life. This 800-wo...more
Linda
I found online. It's this short:

The 800 word Harry Potter Prequel that JK Rowling wrote for the Waterstone’s “What’s Your Story?” Charity benefit

If you are having any difficulty reading the handwritten version, here is a typed copy of the submission. Enjoy!

The speeding motorcycle took the sharp corner so fast in the darkness that both policemen in the pursuing car shouted,”Whoa!” Sergeant Fisher slammed his large foot on the brake, thinking that the boy who was riding pillion was sure to be flun...more
Maud
This a short story but really great! I laughed after only a few lines and I wished this would become a total new Harry Potter book. The story is about James and Sirius and it's just great. I wished there would be more then those 800 words but I'm glad that they are there to begin with. A great small story for every Harry Potter fan.
John Egbert
I did read this one!

AND I HATED IT.

Review later :3

Editing time:

The speeding motorcycle took the sharp corner so fast in the darkness that both policemen in the pursuing car shouted 'whoa!' Sergeant Fisher slammed his large foot on the brake, thinking that the boy who was riding pillion was sure to be flung under his wheels; however, the motorbike made the turn without unseating either of its riders, and with a wink of its red tail light, vanished up the narrow side street. Rather awkward, I f...more
Kevin
After searching the internet I found that this was written(on a card) by Rowling for charity and she has no plans to write an actual prequel beyond this very short story. This is more of a tease than anything else but without the possibility of a "real" prequel it is a bit disappointing. Its nice to get a bit of a sense of what Sirius and James were like as students but damn I want more!
Jackie
HARRY! YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY !

I want more ...
J.K. Rowling MUST satisfy this need ..

I'm addicted to Harry Potter ..
You're like my own personal brand of heroin ... OKAY, crash that out .. HAHA .. I sound like a damn fucking fairy ..

Please .. Just one more ..
Lauren (Lauren Reads YA)
This was really short, and I just really wished J.K. Rowling would write a book about James, Sirius, Remus, Lily, and Severus at Hogwarts. Or maybe just a book with short stories about random Hogwarts people, I don't know.
It was okay. I guess I just expected more from J.K. Rowling.
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Grace
Read it.
HATED it.
I'm extremely DISSAPOINTED in J.K. Rowling. It was awful. All of us HP lovers already know that Sirius Black and James Potter were troublemakers. We don't need her to tell us this. I am pretty sure that I could have written somethig this simple in my sleep.
I am pretty positive that J.K. Rowling is getting pretty tired of all this HP stuff. She could definitly write a better prequel than this wimpy 800word thing. Unfortunatly, she has decided that she's not gonna write an ACTUAL...more
Bonnie
Little Harry Potter prequel (available free online) that involves James Potter and Sirius Black. Didn't exactly consist of much but fun nonetheless.
Anne Nikoline
Jul 18, 2012 Anne Nikoline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any potter fans
Recommended to Anne Nikoline by: J.K. Rowling
So apparently J.K Rowling was working on writing a prequel to the Harry Potter series but only she was not. If I did not know that this was suppose to be a scene from the prequel I would not have liked it to be called a prequel but instead something like 'random scene.'

That said I thought it was great to get a sneak peak into James and Sirius' friendship and traits. They are must similar to the Weasley twins which made my heart ache a little, however, I thought the descriptions were just perfec...more
Hina
Before I start this piece of writing was written by J.K. Rowling in a cafe on a napkin which was auctioned off and the money given to charity without any re-writes and editing and it's still a better piece of literature than anything Stephanie Meyer wrote.

Dear James Potter & Sirius Black,

[image error]

That gif sums up my feelings for this piece of writing entirely.

I think James Potter is a seriously underrated character and he doesn't really have the appreciation that he deserves. The amou...more
Anila
Meh. I don't see much point to this. The writing seemed pretty amateur - I don't remember the series being like this - and it didn't contribute to plot or even worldbuilding. James and Sirius sassing the Muggle law; par for the course. There might be an interesting story in here somewhere, but it isn't this scene.

Props for the whole auctioning for charity thing, though; that's nice.
Choco

It's only 800 words, so it's not much, but it was all right.

It was sold off at an auction and the money was given to charity, which is why now I think it was more than 'all right.'

It was WONDERFUL! Yep, all 800 words! A little silly, but WONDERFUL!
Graham Bradley
Ridiculously short and pointless, but who am I kidding. Take all my stars.
Nilesh Kashyap
800 words! That doesn't even make a story. It's like a scene or a sequence of roughly 2 pages taken from a book.
Nevertheless I did enjoy it, but it didn't cast magical spell of J.K. Rowling's writing, considering it was first time I was reading anything written by her. The reason is probably because it was too short, by the time I started to enjoy the story, it abruptly ended.
But it gave birth to desire of reading Harry Potter series. Hope I will read it someday and probably enjoy it too.
Shown a...more
Scarlet
2.5 STARS

I more skimmed than read this actually, even though it's really short. As much as I love J.K Rowling and don't want to give her works any less than 5 stars, this prequel didn't sound like her at all. It didn't have the voice or feel of her Harry Potter books, and frankly I don't think it was really that necessary. That's not to say I wouldnt love it if J.K. published more HP books. I don't know, I want to question the legitness of this prequel but everyone insists it's real, though it l...more
Nina ♥
I didn't know about this! :O

Just read this online! I really liked it, though I wish it would've been a bit longer. I mean, honestly, when I saw the word Prequel I expected at least 70 pages of Sirius badassery (pun entirely intended). Nonetheless, it was good, and it just increased my love for James and Sirius--but dammit, why did it have to be so short? Gawd!
Owen
ATTENTION EVERYONE! IT'S NOT ACTUALLY A PREQUEL.

It is a short scene that happens like ten years before Harry. Basically insignificant but I think the author wrote it for a charity event or something, so it's all good. I can't say it was great since it was between two characters I don't really care about, but it is a step above fan-fiction quality. This is not what I would want to see in a prequel (view spoiler)...more
Mith
Well, this is not really a book per se - more like a short story published online, featuring James, Sirius and two unsuspecting English policemen.

I would have liked a little bit of Moony in here as well. And Snape! Why, oh why wasn't this about the time when Snape went underneath the Whomping Willow following behind Lupin and spotted him transforming into a werewolf and almost got killed doing it but then was rescued at the last minute by James?? WHY?????

So, while it didn't exactly create butt...more
Mehnaz
J.K. Rowling sure knows how to hook her readers with only a few pages of a story. When I had reached the last page, all I could think was, "That's it?" I wanted much more. Actually I have always wanted to know how James and Lily's life had been, before and after their marriage. If Rowling ever decided to write another 7-book saga featuring James Potter's entire life at Hogwarts, I would be the first one to support her decision, and I would have undoubtedly bought all the books and read them. :)
I need to read this 6 41 May 05, 2014 07:46AM
Did anyone read this? 26 208 Feb 27, 2014 07:55AM
Did anyone read this? 15 121 Feb 19, 2013 12:52PM
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
  • Harry's First Christmas
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike
  • Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • Arriane's Day Out (Fallen Shorts, #0.5)
Although she writes under the pen name J.K. Rowling, pronounced like rolling, her name when her first Harry Potter book was published was simply Joanne Rowling. Anticipating that the target audience of young boys might not want to read a book written by a woman, her publishers demanded that she use two initials, rather than her full name. As she had no middle name, she chose K as the second initia...more
More about J.K. Rowling...
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)

“And don’t forget: Elvendork! It’s unisex!” 11 likes