In the Shadow of the Tokolosh

In the Shadow of the Tokolosh

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Four young men growing up in the wilderness, as the last remnants of colonialism in Africa. While the world and its attitude changed around them, they found themselves fighting to save their way of life, in a land that did not share their views or values. Set in the Zambezi Valley, where the white man made his last stand in Africa.
Published October 1st 2010 by Silverling Inspired (first published September 17th 2010)

Conrad K.
Jul 22, 2011 Conrad K. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the editor but my 5 stars are based on Amazon reviews as follows:

"Just finished reading this book, for someone who grew up during this time, it brought back a lot of memories. The writing keeps you interested the whole way through. It was a fantastic read, loved every word. It's one of those books that you can't stop turning the pages and yet you're really sad when you get to the end so fast.... damn! should have made it last a little longer!!"

"A great book about a period of history I knew...more
Tony Maxwell
The Tragedy of Rhodesia.

I throughly enjoyed reading In the Shadow of the Tokolosh, even though it is a painful reminder of how it all began. How the hopes and dreams of a small African country were dashed on the alter of expediency and political correctness.
The story is a skillful blend of fact and, presumably, fiction; though the descriptions of the Rhodesian bush war are very realistic indeed.
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Africa.
Conrad K.
Ashley Symeou
This book is a must for any individual with links to Rhodesia. It tells the story of a young man growing up (1950s - 1970s) in a country that saw huge change over that period. It weaves a heart-rending story of conflict, friendship and loss, and questions the reasons why in a way that doesn't judge but leaves the reader to make up their own mind. A great read!!!
Bev Bancroft
Loved the reality of the book - although I grew up in South Africa, I remember the news reports coming from Rhodesia, and a lot of it was very familiar to me. I found the ending disappointing however - too sudden and no closure, but I suppose that was the reality in that time.
Sheridan
Gave me a good idea of what life was like for my mom growing up in Zambia. Seems to have been a very different racial relationship than South Africa. Sad that it failed. Sad that we can never work together. Just plain sad.
Avary
Didn't finish this. Perhaps anothher time?
Craig Morin
Craig Morin is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2014
Jasmyn
Jasmyn marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Gerold Whittaker
Gerold Whittaker is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2013
Paige Hamilton
Paige Hamilton marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Detlef
Detlef marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2013
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Donna Friday
Donna Friday marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Jeff Beazley
Jeff Beazley marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
AJ
AJ marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2012
mar
mar marked it as to-read
May 06, 2012
Jan
Jan added it
Apr 23, 2012
Anthea
Anthea marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2012
Though the author of 'In the Shadow of the Tokolosh' is unknown, it must be remembered that many young Rhodesian males lived the life portrayed in the book.
This man, if alive today, would now be approximately 70 years old.
An unrepentant colonialist, he would have grown up on the Copperbelt, Northern Rhodesia, and spent his life in Africa amongst it's people.
He would have brought up a family and fo...more
More about Conrad K....