Start by marking “In the Shadow of the Tokolosh” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of the Tokolosh

In the Shadow of the Tokolosh

Four young men growing up in the wilderness, as the last remnants of colonialism in Africa. While the world and its attitude changed around them, they found themselves fighting to save their way of life, in a land that did not share their views or values. Set in the Zambezi Valley, where the white man made his last stand in Africa.
Published October 1st 2010 by Silverling Inspired (first published September 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of the Tokolosh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of the Tokolosh

Conrad K.
Jul 19, 2011 Conrad K. rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the editor but my 5 stars are based on Amazon reviews as follows:

"Just finished reading this book, for someone who grew up during this time, it brought back a lot of memories. The writing keeps you interested the whole way through. It was a fantastic read, loved every word. It's one of those books that you can't stop turning the pages and yet you're really sad when you get to the end so fast.... damn! should have made it last a little longer!!"

"A great book about a period of history I knew
Tony Maxwell
Jul 19, 2011 Tony Maxwell rated it it was amazing
The Tragedy of Rhodesia.

I throughly enjoyed reading In the Shadow of the Tokolosh, even though it is a painful reminder of how it all began. How the hopes and dreams of a small African country were dashed on the alter of expediency and political correctness.
The story is a skillful blend of fact and, presumably, fiction; though the descriptions of the Rhodesian bush war are very realistic indeed.
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Africa.
Conrad K.
Ashley Symeou
Aug 21, 2012 Ashley Symeou rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhodesia, war, africa, troopie
This book is a must for any individual with links to Rhodesia. It tells the story of a young man growing up (1950s - 1970s) in a country that saw huge change over that period. It weaves a heart-rending story of conflict, friendship and loss, and questions the reasons why in a way that doesn't judge but leaves the reader to make up their own mind. A great read!!!
Sheridan
Apr 09, 2013 Sheridan rated it really liked it
Gave me a good idea of what life was like for my mom growing up in Zambia. Seems to have been a very different racial relationship than South Africa. Sad that it failed. Sad that we can never work together. Just plain sad.
Bev Bancroft
Mar 02, 2013 Bev Bancroft rated it really liked it
Loved the reality of the book - although I grew up in South Africa, I remember the news reports coming from Rhodesia, and a lot of it was very familiar to me. I found the ending disappointing however - too sudden and no closure, but I suppose that was the reality in that time.
Avary
Didn't finish this. Perhaps anothher time?
Diana M Bolton
Diana M Bolton rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Robin Hobson
Robin Hobson rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2017
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Kurt Andersen
Kurt Andersen rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Eddy Byron
Eddy Byron rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Hugh Young
Hugh Young rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Nicky Steinbach
Nicky Steinbach rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2012
Jackie Stainton
Jackie Stainton rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Thomas Baylem
Thomas Baylem rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2017
Melanie Miller
Melanie Miller rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Clain Jaques
Clain Jaques rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Muriel
Muriel rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Tristan Palmer
Tristan Palmer rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
JL
JL rated it liked it
May 26, 2017
Richard Tearle
Richard Tearle rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Mona Smith
Mona Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2013
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Keith Ramphal
Keith Ramphal rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Simon Bennet
Simon Bennet rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Though the author of 'In the Shadow of the Tokolosh' is unknown, it must be remembered that many young Rhodesian males lived the life portrayed in the book.
This man, if alive today, would now be approximately 70 years old.
An unrepentant colonialist, he would have grown up on the Copperbelt, Northern Rhodesia, and spent his life in Africa amongst it's people.
He would have brought up a family and fo
More about Conrad K....