Start by marking “Familiar Letters of John Adams and His Wife Abigail Adams, During the Revolution: With a Memoir of Mrs. Adams” as Want to Read:

This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published September 11th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published 1875)

Be the first to ask a question about Familiar Letters of John Adams and His Wife Abigail Adams, During the Revolution

Zachary Gorelick
This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite sources of inspiration. John Adams is painted, by his own metaphorical brush, as something rare to find in a U.S. president: a person with feelings, fears, doubts, vanity, and hope. He is brought to life in this correspondence between himself and his wife, whom I now contend might be seen as the finest First Lady with whom this nation has been graced.

Her powerful, poignant words echo constantly in my mind. Vastly ahead of her time in terms of her vie
Jewels
Jul 09, 2012 Jewels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
It took me a while to get through this, as I was a bit burned out on my history classes. Abigail Adams remains one of my heroines, and I have nothing but respect for her husband John, even though he amused me a bit with his protestations of vanity. I have to admit that I felt really sorry for Abigail; the loneliness and sorrow at being parted from her husband for so long came through as quite the burden to bear. It was interesting to see how the war effected the times that they lived in as well, ...more
John
Dec 05, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would love to have given this 5-stars just because of the respect I have for both Adams'. But, I reserve 5-star rating for those books I would re-read whenever, and although this is a fascinating view into the life of some of our founding fathers, it is a little dry to re-read. Highly recommended, though. For a more entertaining read, try "John Adams" by McCullough. He obviously used these letters as some of his source material.
Jennifer Zartman
Reading personal letters makes history come alive. I found it thrilling to read the account of the Declaration of Independence by a man who labored to bring it about. John and Abigail Adams detail the sacrifices, the deprivations, and the emotions of war and separation in a personal, unguarded way, and the balance of the masculine and feminine perspectives makes this book particularly interesting and unique. I highly recommend it.
Fred Lente
Mar 15, 2013 Fred Lente rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The star rating is for the shoddy POD quality of the book, a reproduction, which is basically a text-file dump to standard letter sized paper f what must be an early-to-mid nineteenth century edition, then bound. C'mon, people, if I wanted a .txt doc I would've found one on-line, not accidentally bought a dead tree version on Amazon.
Naomi
Jul 23, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
A wonderful window into a marriage during the American Colonial Era and onto experiences of the Revolutionary War.
Diana Blick
Diana Blick rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
PATRICIA BRADFORD
PATRICIA BRADFORD rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Alex Galton
Alex Galton rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2009
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Linus Williams
Linus Williams rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Sylvia Feicht
Sylvia Feicht rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Tanya Anderson
Tanya Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Lista C. Ammirati
Lista C. Ammirati rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Moses Pena JR
Moses Pena JR rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Kelley
Kelley rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Stanley Harder
Stanley Harder rated it liked it
May 07, 2017
Benjamin Harrington
Benjamin Harrington rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Sharon Mollerus
Sharon Mollerus rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Morgan
Morgan rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Beth Palmer
Beth Palmer rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Fablespinner
Fablespinner rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Rebecca Ripley-welton
Rebecca Ripley-welton rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Jeff Bowen
Jeff Bowen rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2008
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2010
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2011
Maria Rocio
Maria Rocio rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2011
Aubby
Aubby rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 12, 2012
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 15, 2012
Janell
Janell is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2012
Ava Riley
Ava Riley rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2012
Elis
Elis marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Marcia Thom
Marcia Thom marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Kassie
Kassie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Lonna
Lonna added it
Mar 17, 2013
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Arcelianeon
Arcelianeon is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2013
Kevin Sheridan
Kevin Sheridan is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2013
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Chris Pisarczyk
Chris Pisarczyk marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Cristal Angustia
Cristal Angustia marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. This is John^^Adams.

An American Founding Father, the second president of the United States (1797–1801), having earlier served as the first vice president of the United States (1789–1797).

Adams came to prominence in the early stages of the American Revolution. A cousin of revolutionary leader Samuel Adams, John
More about John Adams...

“But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed? How has it happened that all the fine arts, architecture, painting, sculpture, statuary, music, poetry, and oratory, have been prostituted, from the creation of the world, to the sordid and detestable purposes of superstition and fraud?

[Letter to judge F.A. Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816.]”
20 likes
“Negro Slavery is an evil of Colossal magnitude and I am utterly averse to the admission of Slavery into the Missouri Territories.” 17 likes