Start by marking “The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year” as Want to Read:
The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year

The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Meeting with clients, hauling the kids to soccer, supervising the kitchen remodel — women today juggle so many commitments that many don’t find time to focus on their own dreams. First created for her own needs, Jennifer Louden’s Life Organizer is a datebook for the soul that helps women create the life they want. Divided into four sections, the first part defines “inner o ...more
Published January 10th 2007 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about The Life Organizer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life Organizer

Create With Joy
I have been a fan of Jennifer Louden’s since she published her first book. I have a special place on my bookshelf where I house my collection of Jennifer’s “comfort” books.

So – it is my pleasure to introduce you Jennifer’s latest book – the newly released paperback edition of The Life Organizer – A Woman’s Guide To A Mindful Year.

If you are the kind of woman who loves to meditate, reflect upon, plan for, and journal about your life – The Life Organizer was designed with you in mind!

The Life Or
Jennifer Louden
Sep 06, 2010 Jennifer Louden rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
What can I say, it's my book!
Gina Lynette
So many "organizers" are designed around 15 minute blocks of time and making sure you are fitting it all into those blocks. This book approaches organizing in a much more organic fashion. Jennifer gives you permission to plan around your intuition, your dreams, your feelings... and to find flow in your day. She also lets you off the hook if you are an on again/off again planner. A very gentle approach... My only wish is that there were a set of Life Organizer Pages created for my Planner so that ...more
Lain
After trying literally dozens of time management systems and "life management" programs, I've finally found something that I can not only live with, but grow with. The Life Organizer offers a new way for creative-types to set directions in their lives, while recognizing that the answers we need are inside our hearts already.

Too many "self-help" books ask readers to give up their power and turn outwards for answers and life direction. Not so with Jennifer Louden's awesome book. It's entertaining
Tammy Lavine
Can't just read cover to cover & be done with this one. It's one of those you pick up, absorb a passage or a chapter, or more, dwell, in it, journal, & go apply, & return to again & again. Such a easy read that meets you deeply at your core & leaves you feeling vulnerable but like you just got a shot leaving you more alive than ever.
Marybeth
I love this workbook,more then any other I have ever purchased.
If you visit Jennifer Louden's site you can read a thorough description of what this magical book is all about! I am still working in it. It sits by my bedside and is visited several times a week.
Kelly Salasin
I'm on my third year working with this book. I answer the weekly prompts every Sunday morning and write my responses right into my calendar. In this way, I shape my days from the inside out, first.
Char
Love this book! Have gone through it several times with a group. Still in process.
Loretta
My 3 star review is subject to change, because although I have read through the first part of the book, I haven't actually started doing any of the stuff, answering any of the questions, doing any of the journaling. There are, I think, some good insights, thoughts, and really excellent questions to ponder. I might work with those questions in a much looser, unstructured way, rather than follow the "52 weeks" scheme laid out in the second part of the book.

There is good stuff in here, for sure. B
Chrissy
Like most women in today’s world, I pile way too much on myself and always wish the day would some how mystically grow longer to abide me time to finish what I take on. Alas, I wake up and realize that will never happen. In comes Jennifer Louden, a personal coach and columnist for Body + Soul magazine. She has devised a book full of tips, stories and prompts to help women to focus our needs and navigate our dreams.

Designed in a weekly sense, this book allows for daily writing or as a template to
Christine Hamblen
As a "big picture" thinker, reading this book through before thoroughly working through the strategies and calendar, I feel excited anticipation. The website is great for recordkeeping in a busy world.
Maura Badji
Great ideas to organize your life and your thinking. Big help: clutter busting, of course. I still refer to this book.
Mycala
I borrowed this from Bookswim, and then immediately went out and bought my own copy. I raved to my Mom about it and she went out and bought one as well. If you like journaling, this is a great resource to help you figure out what you want and need from life. The questions are designed so you can go through every week or every day, as desired. You can also go through by mood -- if you're feeling sad, or concerned about finances, there are stories and questions associated with those feelings that ...more
Heidi Hooten
Read the whole book -- still using.
Aubrey
I attended one of her retreats in October 2006 and purchased the book there. I had no interest in it prior to that because the title really did nothing for me. I have, however, learned quite a few things from reading it. It's set up differently than a standard book with some text in the beginning (very insightful) and then weekly pages to maintain your focus. I haven't "finished" it, but that's okay because it's a book to go back to when you're in the right place.

I love her relaxed, "you are oka
Marisa
This book was recommended to me by poet Naomi Ayala. It couldn't have come at a more important time in my life.
I use this book every week to help me remember to stay close to what I need to feel complete. It helps to ask myself questions I'm usually too busy or disconnected to think about. It always asks you to create a list of "let go" "could do" and "have to", but her introduction to the book is really inviting, if you don't have time one week it's OK, although I've made time for this because
Relyn
May 28, 2012 Relyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hmmmm?
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted in a magazine - I think
I requested an interlibrary loan for this book because I really enjoyed Louden's Women's Comfort Book years ago. While this book was intriguing for a few pages, it just didn't grab me. The idea was basically to make your life choices based on the emotional resonance you feel. I felt it was a complicated version of a too-simple idea. You can't direct your life based on gut feelings.

Maybe the above is an over-simplification, but the book just wasn't worth any more review time to me.
Leslie
It was okay-the general idea is good and I like the thought provoking questions each day/week, but the premise is wishy-washy for using it as it was intended ("Life Planner") and the author seems to have no concrete idea of what and why this works; it was a headache just reading her intro chapters to get to the planner part. Good in theory, but not practical. There are better "spirit-centered" and "live life to its fullest/your purpose" books out there in my opinion.
Jamie
It's a nicely packaged and well-written, but it just was not for me. I could not get into it. That's just me.
Jennifer (JC-S)
I bought this book as a present to myself. I bought two other copies as presents for others.

This is my new strategy for dealing with a new year and trying to do a better job of balancing life and work. Already, thinking through a few goals for the first few weeks of 2008 makes me feel better organised.

Feel free to ask me in a few months whether it's working.
Frangipani
Nov 17, 2009 Frangipani is currently reading it
This book so far seems to me to be written from a childless perspective. It seems to assume that you have time to focus on yourself and planning where you want to be. Whereas what I am hoping this book will do is GIVE ME the tools to carve some more ME TIME out of my hectic schedule!
Hope
One of the best "organizer" books for women that I've never followed... I like Louden's writing and her approach to "comfort" and I like the questions she asks. A great journalling tool if nothing else...
Lisa
Really interesting exercise. I'm going to do it again next year (or at least try).
Curtiss Matlock
Good insights. Began to skim, the book is longer than needed. A good reference
Tiffany
A book I use almost everyday as I strive for balance, harmony and fulfullment.
Patricia
Nov 04, 2011 Patricia is currently reading it
Shelves: self-improvement
This one was a gift from my boss. I like it so far. It offers some useful tips.
Michelle
Oct 14, 2010 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all women
Great book. Great concepts. Great guide to self-growth and getting a grip.
Deborah Schuler
An unorganized book on organizing- sleeping editor I guess
Maria Calokerinos
Lots if helpful hints. Still reading the book.
Dani Lindholm
There are a lot of good tips and ideas
  • The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • The Body Sacred
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • The Reluctant Entertainer: Every Woman's Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • Living a Beautiful Life
  • Five Books Of Miriam: A Woman's Commentary on the Torah
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • True Balance: A Commonsense Guide for Renewing Your Spirit
  • The Source of Miracles: 7 Steps to Transforming Your Life through the Lord's Prayer
The Woman's Comfort Book Woman's Retreat Book: A Guide to Restoring, Rediscovering and Reawakening Your True Self --In a Moment, An Hour, Or a Weekend The Comfort Queen's Guide to Life: Create All That You Need with Just What You've Got Couple's Comfort Book: A Creative Guide for Renewing Passion, Pleasure and Commitment The Pregnant Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide to Your Emotional Well-Being During Pregnancy and Early Motherhood