Start by marking “Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Adrian Mole: The Cappu...

Sue Townsend

Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole #5)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  5,501 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews

The further adventures of the master mole.

In his latest confessional diary, Adrian, now thirty, is separated from his exotic and accomplished Nigerian wife, and is a single parent to his three-year-old son. He works as a cook in a smart London restaurant that specializes in repulsive working-class food. When, to his surprise, he finds he has an older son as well, he takes

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2000 by Recorded Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Adrian Mole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrian Mole

Andrew Lasher
May 02, 2010 Andrew Lasher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I picked up this book, I had no idea who Adrian Mole or Sue Townsend were. It just so happened that the novel was sitting on the bookshelf in my office one day and I decided to give it a go.

From page one I fell in love with Adrian Mole. Basically, he is a failure. He means well, he does everything he can to be a success, but it always backfires. His story is a true tragic comedy, which fortunately is light enough on the tragedy to keep us from feeling bad.

The best point about Adrian Mole
Brianne
Jan 30, 2011 Brianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Townsend is a comic genius who presents am unsparing vision of England in all its (fallen) glory, Chavs and Cocaine Socialists alike. Adrian is the post-modern anti-hero, our generation's Holden Caulfield, if Holden Caulfield had been funnier, more human, and even more readable. (I got through Catcher in the Rye on my eleventh birthday in one sitting. The Adrian Mole series is funnier, more original, and a far better satire of society.)

My laughing fits started in the introduction where Townsend
Rebecca McNutt
Although this book is a little outdated, it's still a story with characters who teenagers everywhere can relate to, and who adults can read about and remember their own years of growing up and finding a place in the world.
Cat.
Nov 28, 2013 Cat. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, so I didn't finish this. I've read all the others in this series, and Adrian never fails to make me laugh, but he is such a frigging narcissist. Dunno--it doesn't play well at age 30. Then again, I know a few people who would make him look pretty other-centered!

We find him, in this book, working as a chef in an upscale trendy restaurant in London, in spite of not being able to cook. His young son is living with his parents in Leicestershire. He is hired to do a TV show on cooking, at which
Ute
"I expect that by tomorrow I will have embellished the story and given myself a heroic status I do not deserve, but all the same, on this night at this hour, I am pleased to record that i acquitted myself well."
Leonie Byrne
Jul 28, 2013 Leonie Byrne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Must say my opinion is completely different to the other reviewers! I read the teenage Adrian mole books as a teenager and enjoyed them. Now as an adult I decided to read the adult ones but read the teen ones again first I didn't find them half as amusing as I did as a teenager but I loved the wilderness and the cappuccino years. I find Adrian's distress at becoming a single parent to not one but two children hilarious. His continuous failure to become some kind of celebrity or hold down a stead ...more
Anne
Oct 17, 2007 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first met Adrian Mole when I was in high school and I was introduced to the young adult novel, The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4, soon thereafter followed by The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole. Adrian lives outside of London and fancies himself somewhat of an intellectual. Unfortunately, life doesn't always go so well for Adrian - his parents' marriage is always on the rocks, he has issues with his teachers (and all sorts of authority), and he never ever seems to get the girl. But, al ...more
Simon Taylor
Jun 17, 2015 Simon Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian’s latest adventure is set in 1997-1998; the longest gap between instalments but coming at an ideal time to read Mr. Mole’s diary. Not only is he now at the landmark age of 30, but this is the year of the New Labour landslide and the death of Princess Diana, among others.

As “together” as Adrian’s life seemed to be after the Wilderness Years, we join him now not. He’s divorced, living alone, a semi-absent father working as a ‘head chef’ in a nightmare kitchen. His own father is depressed, h
Sharon
Dec 11, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynne
Apr 15, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading in honour of the recent passing of Sue Townsend. Initial reading (when it was first published) proved a little disappointing, however, the passage of time seems to have highlighted the satirical elements (particularly of Blairite Britain). Adrian remains convinced of his intellectualism and his creative potential (horridly familiar!!) but has to tackle the fact that the entire world doesn't seem to appreciate him. The diary opens with Adrian apparently successful; he is head chef at s ...more
Ben Baker
Apr 15, 2014 Ben Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why!? Why would she write another? Adrian was happy! He found love! Why would tear all that apart, Sue Townsend? Thats is pretty much my reaction to this book upon first reading it in 1999. I was eighteen with a suitably Pandora-esque girlfriend of my own and after years of not having to worry about Adrian Mole, here he was back again with a broken marriage and a child. The TV adaptation two years later made things even worse with a slightly off balance unpleasantness aimed at Mole, which didn't ...more
M
Jul 13, 2013 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty or so pages into this, I thought Townsend had lost it. The writing felt more linear than Adrian's usual diary style, and there seem to be so much going on around him - too many characters that weren't as interesting or funny as Townsend thinks they are. But she pulls it around. By the middle of the book, Adrian is as pretentious and as annoying as ever. Just how we like him. And the depiction of 90s England is almost as good as Townsend's 80s.
Caitlin
I still re-read the earlier adrian mole books and they always make me laugh. This wasn't as entertaining - not as funny when an oblivious character is 30+ instead of a hapless teenager.
Pandora is still much the same - seems only natural she'd become a Labor MP now that I think of it.

Overall entertaining, but sadly no poems about spawning salmon or letters to the BBC.
Ria
Jun 05, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At this stage of the diaries Adrian Mole is now in his 30s with a 3 year old child called William though his wife JoJo has left him and a question mark over another child Glenn Bott as he had an affair with his mother Sharon years earlier but prays he is not the culprit but his old enemy Barry Kent.
Meanwhile he has picked up another OAP called Archie Tait and is working on a new radio programme he thinks will take the world by storm called "The Royal Archers."
Also he has a culinary career and a
Svetlana Jovanovic
Adrian continues to be a funny witness to his time, but I'm afraid it's just a little too long. I would still recommend it, but keep your expectations lowered. It's not as good as 13 3/4.
Lindsay Nichols
Oh, Adrian Mole...just when you think life is going to work out, someone comes and pulls the rug right out from under you!
Juwi
May 16, 2015 Juwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

now this is the adrian mole i have missed!!!

i don't know whether he is stupid, delusional or an arsehole...probably all of them. of course he has his redeeming moments where he surprises you but usually you can't help but laugh at his stupidity.

so this book see adrian mole as FATHER!!!!! and that is quite worrying but also funny...oh and he's so sexist it's hilarious (you can't take offense because that is the type of character he is...)

he still hasn't gotten his book published poor guy. but
Karo
Apr 20, 2012 Karo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot more than the previous part.

Adrian, while still totally oblivious to so many things happening around him, seems more mature here than in any of the previous books. (view spoiler)
Nicola
Sep 02, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really not sure if the whingeing, woe-is-me formula works as well for a thirty year old man as it does for a thirteen year old boy. My future husband is the same age as Adrian in this book, so I do feel qualified to judge.

That said, I think this is the best diary since Moley came of age! He's cute and moving as a teenager, but such an annoying little bastard when he reaches eighteen then moves in with Pandora in True Confessions. Cappuccino years is just better all round. Pandora is still a
Val
Mar 04, 2016 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the Adrian Mole series. He is now older with a son and has moved back home. The love of his life, Pandora, is now seeking election. Adrian's Mum is carrying on with Pandora's father and his Dad moves out and starts living with Pandora's mother as a lodger but this then develops into something else, all to Adrian's dismay. Sue Townsend's books always bring a smile to your face and is a good relaxing read.
Andrew
Jul 29, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mole was one of my favourite books when I was a kid, and I have really enjoyed revisiting those books now, but I was not sure that I would actually like the ones that were about him as an adult. I did read this one over ten years ago when it first came out, but my memories were tainted somewhat by the dreadful TV adaptation of this story. I need not have worried, it was actually a very funny tale but, as is always the case with these, it was tinged with some sadness - in this book life se ...more
Richard Barnes
Jul 08, 2014 Richard Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Townsend takes Mole from the years of Tory rule and into the bold new world of Tony Blair.

Taking aim at the cult of celebrity while letting Mole stumble through unexpected parentage, the ongoing failure to marry (or anything else) with Pandora and his parents' marital saga - Townsend proves, once again, why she was one of Britain's foremost humour writers.
Paul
Nov 11, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dit was mijn eerste Adrian Mole. En ik denk dat het hier ook bij zal blijven. Grote delen van het boek zijn langdradig. Het middenstuk is iets beter. Dit is echt een jeugdboek. Voor onze studenten zal het steeds moeilijker worden om nog te weten wat of wie Tony Blair was (voor zover ze het ooit hebben geweten). Flauw en ontgoochelend einde.
Cassie
Oct 31, 2014 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sue Townsend has a unique way of making you feel like you're inside the story and living with these characters instead of just reading about them. This book made me laugh, cry and sadly relate to a lot of Adrian's life. I loved this book it's my favourite out of all the Adrian Moles- especially the ending- tragic and yet wonderful.
Elmeri
Jan 28, 2009 Elmeri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Luin itse asiassa suomenkielisen, mutta luulen että alkukieli ei olisi pelastanut vähääkään. Kökkö tarina, joka muistutti miten vähän kannattaa luottaa mainstream-hypeen. Kun on alle lukenut valtavan sarjan hyviä, tai vähintäänkin "ihan ok" -kirjoja pettymys on varmasti suurempi.

Henkilöhahmot olivat pinnallisia ja vastenmielisiä, tarina.. No, jos tuota nyt voi sellaiseksi kutsua, ei oikein vakuuttanut. Kaikesta huolimatta luin kirjan loppuun, köykäinen kun oli, halutessani epätoivon vimmalla ti
Jake Collins
This one is not quite there. It is slightly too surreal for its own good in places. The highlights remain Adrian's hilarious attempts at writing, and the sad fact that when he is finally commissioned to write a real, actual book he makes virtually no attempt to do it.
Strider
I must admit I do not entirely get the combination of very funny and witty Mole and the events around him that gets sadder and sadder.
Still, I will read other books, this is my first Mole book.
brandnewcycle
I decided I should read more contemporary fiction and found this on a friend's bookshelf. I wasn't looking for anything difficult and was told it was a quick easy read. Perhaps I should have started with earlier books in the series, I don't know. But I found this to be bane and not nearly as good as I needed it to be. I struggled to get into it (but had nothing to substitute it with, so I kept it on). I wouldn't re-read it, though in my non-failing optimism, I may try and get my hands on one of ...more
Nandhini Kumanan
Witty! adrian manages to see fun in his chaotic life! or thats what dear diary sees ! Hiss love for glenn and william so subtly n beautifully potrayed.Makes u feel light !
Paul
Nov 08, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! If you think you can fall then look back at Mr. Mole who can fall much further. A shame that we won't get to see him in his senior years.
  • The E. Before Christmas
  • Hajduk u Beogradu
  • No Onions Nor Garlic
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • The Meaning of Life (Rachel Riley, #3)
  • More Than Love Letters
  • The Man in the Rubber Mask
  • I'm A Stranger Here Myself
  • Over the Edge (Chloe & Levesque, #2)
  • Bleak Expectations
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story
  • Pomfret Towers
  • Al Capone and His Gang
  • Adventure Time with Finn & Jake (Issue #8)
  • Asbestemming
  • The Soul of Kindness
  • Goggle-Eyes

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a
More about Sue Townsend...

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)