Start by marking “Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital” as Want to Read:
Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital

Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Written in the tradition of A Woman in Residence and First, Do No Harm, this vivid and acclaimed work of true medicine tells the stories of nine doctoral candidates who spend a year of internship on the psychiatric ward at New York City's infamous Bellevue Hospital.
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published December 28th 1994 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy All the Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy All the Time

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenDetour from Normal by Ken DicksonWasted by Marya HornbacherA Million Little Pieces by James FreyNaked by David Sedaris
Mental Hospital Nonfiction
14th out of 54 books — 78 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenAn Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield JamisonSurviving the Fourth Cycle by Nathan DanielsThe Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Memoirs of Madness
55th out of 198 books — 241 voters

More lists with this book...

Meaghan
A very thought-provoking and amusing memoir full of interesting and often wildly funny stories (albeit usually in a laugh-to-keep-from-crying way). The author gives insight not only into the patients but into the trainee therapists and the process of therapy itself. I really enjoyed this and found myself reading parts out loud to friends. I'm just glad my life isn't like the people's in this book!
Debbie
Turns out that living through the internship was enough, and that I didn't really need to relive it in the pages of a book!
Emma
Not to downplay the seriousness (and abhorrence) of some of the cases dealt with in this book but honestly, it begins with a case of self-mutilation of the 'let's cut off my penis with pinking shears' variety (yes, I googled pinking shears - happy?), and moves along to cases of hysterical pregnancy, PTSD, transference, counter-transference, cannibalism, shrinks trying to justify sex with patients as therapeutic, shrinks trying to claim that the urge to commit parricide is 'universal'. I think th ...more
Shay Caroline
Dr. Covan is chief psychologist at Bellevue Hospital in New York (or was at the time of this book's publication) and with help from Carol Kahn, he has written a highly entertaining account of one year's crop of interns and some of the patients they encounter and try to help.

There is Kitty, whose paranoid schizophrenic patient spins tales of having slept with six presidents of the United States. This is perhaps not as challenging as Kitty's marriage, in which her husband expects her to come home
Megan Kestel
Different from my usual read. Very different from the usual romantic filled plot lines truly depicts wonderful imagery from the perspectives of residents any psychologists dealing with patients.
Wendy
I really liked the book. I wouldn't mind seeing more from the author. I am sure he has many more good stories. The book follows interns as they are learning how to deal with patients with psychiatric issues. I love reading about how the interns attempt to deal with the problems. They don't always get the results they want, but Dr. Covan directs them to use different approaches which usually yield better results.
Raquelle
An intriguing look into a psych ward. Dr. Covan is directing a group of interns and this book tells their tales of their internship at Bellevue. A very interesting read. The book was not a boring documentary at all, but a great combination of stories that you just can't get enough of. Wonderfully written.
Allison
I enjoyed this as Dr. Covan guides a group of psychology interns through their year at Bellevue. There was a humanity in the patients' stories that is often subtracted in this type of book. Dr. Covan has a realism of what he is there to accomplish and what the human mind is capable of.
Emily Smiltneck
Read this book a long time ago... another of my mother's choices that I read to her. An excellent book, funny and serious at just the right times, and a wonderful look at a psych ward from the viewpoint of those who work there.
Molly O'sullivan
Interesting book but it was just that. It ended somewhat abruptly but based on the account of the year, it should have. Definitely a decent read but a book I will now give away.
Brian

This book gave me hope that you don't have to lose your sense of humor to be a psychologist!
Katie
Really interesting insight into work in a psychiatric hospital setting.
Tanesha Purvis
This book is a perfect marriage between entertainment and knowledge; loved it.
Janice Osborne
Oh boy was it. Hard to put down if you like all the psych stories.
Teresa
down to earth. fun and informational. loved it!
Camila
Makes justice to its name.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Mary Elaine
Mary Elaine marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Gosia
Gosia marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Emily Smirnova
Emily Smirnova marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Debbie Cringan
Debbie Cringan marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Becky Costello
Becky Costello marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Paula Ignizio
Paula Ignizio marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Steff
Steff marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
  • Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals
  • The Flock: The Autobiography of a Multiple Personality
  • The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
  • Welcome to My Country
  • Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill
  • The Lobotomist: A Maverick Medical Genius and His Tragic Quest to Rid the World of Mental Illness
  • Bodies Under Siege: Self-mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry
  • Suffer the Child
Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!