Start by marking “Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital” as Want to Read:
Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital

Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Written in the tradition of A Woman in Residence and First, Do No Harm, this vivid and acclaimed work of true medicine tells the stories of nine doctoral candidates who spend a year of internship on the psychiatric ward at New York City's infamous Bellevue Hospital.
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published December 28th 1994 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy All the Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy All the Time

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenDetour from Normal by Ken DicksonWasted by Marya HornbacherA Million Little Pieces by James FreyNaked by David Sedaris
Mental Hospital Nonfiction
14th out of 54 books — 80 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenAn Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield JamisonSurviving the Fourth Cycle by Nathan DanielsThe Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Memoirs of Madness
57th out of 211 books — 252 voters

More lists with this book...

Meaghan
A very thought-provoking and amusing memoir full of interesting and often wildly funny stories (albeit usually in a laugh-to-keep-from-crying way). The author gives insight not only into the patients but into the trainee therapists and the process of therapy itself. I really enjoyed this and found myself reading parts out loud to friends. I'm just glad my life isn't like the people's in this book!
Shay Caroline
Dr. Covan is chief psychologist at Bellevue Hospital in New York (or was at the time of this book's publication) and with help from Carol Kahn, he has written a highly entertaining account of one year's crop of interns and some of the patients they encounter and try to help.

There is Kitty, whose paranoid schizophrenic patient spins tales of having slept with six presidents of the United States. This is perhaps not as challenging as Kitty's marriage, in which her husband expects her to come home
Debbie
Turns out that living through the internship was enough, and that I didn't really need to relive it in the pages of a book!
Emma
Not to downplay the seriousness (and abhorrence) of some of the cases dealt with in this book but honestly, it begins with a case of self-mutilation of the 'let's cut off my penis with pinking shears' variety (yes, I googled pinking shears - happy?), and moves along to cases of hysterical pregnancy, PTSD, transference, counter-transference, cannibalism, shrinks trying to justify sex with patients as therapeutic, shrinks trying to claim that the urge to commit parricide is 'universal'. I think th ...more
Megan Kestel
Different from my usual read. Very different from the usual romantic filled plot lines truly depicts wonderful imagery from the perspectives of residents any psychologists dealing with patients.
Faiza
Apr 08, 2015 Faiza marked it as to-read
Shelves: maybe
whoa! this I have to read. Can't find it in my country at this time but it sounds amazing so I'd keep looking
Wendy
I really liked the book. I wouldn't mind seeing more from the author. I am sure he has many more good stories. The book follows interns as they are learning how to deal with patients with psychiatric issues. I love reading about how the interns attempt to deal with the problems. They don't always get the results they want, but Dr. Covan directs them to use different approaches which usually yield better results.
Lisa
A little entertaining, a little sententious.
Raquelle
An intriguing look into a psych ward. Dr. Covan is directing a group of interns and this book tells their tales of their internship at Bellevue. A very interesting read. The book was not a boring documentary at all, but a great combination of stories that you just can't get enough of. Wonderfully written.
Allison
I enjoyed this as Dr. Covan guides a group of psychology interns through their year at Bellevue. There was a humanity in the patients' stories that is often subtracted in this type of book. Dr. Covan has a realism of what he is there to accomplish and what the human mind is capable of.
Emily Smiltneck
Read this book a long time ago... another of my mother's choices that I read to her. An excellent book, funny and serious at just the right times, and a wonderful look at a psych ward from the viewpoint of those who work there.
Beth
Takes you to the dark and light sides of dealing mental illness from a practitioners standpoint. Definitely an easy, intriguing read with splatters of both humor and poignant thought.
Molly O'sullivan
Interesting book but it was just that. It ended somewhat abruptly but based on the account of the year, it should have. Definitely a decent read but a book I will now give away.
Brian

This book gave me hope that you don't have to lose your sense of humor to be a psychologist!
Katie
Really interesting insight into work in a psychiatric hospital setting.
Tanesha Purvis
This book is a perfect marriage between entertainment and knowledge; loved it.
Janice Osborne
Oh boy was it. Hard to put down if you like all the psych stories.
Teresa
down to earth. fun and informational. loved it!
Camila
Makes justice to its name.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Katie Carlisle
Katie Carlisle marked it as to-read
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
April
April marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Laurel Siler
Laurel Siler marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jennie L Beal
Jennie L Beal marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Stase
Stase marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Alyse
Alyse marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
  • The Day the Voices Stopped
  • Welcome to My Country
  • The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
  • Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals
  • Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill
  • Switching Time: A Doctor's Harrowing Story of Treating a Woman with 17 Personalities
  • Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness
  • Is There No Place on Earth for Me?
Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!