Start by marking “Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital” as Want to Read:
Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital

Crazy All the Time: On The Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Written in the tradition of A Woman in Residence and First, Do No Harm, this vivid and acclaimed work of true medicine tells the stories of nine doctoral candidates who spend a year of internship on the psychiatric ward at New York City's infamous Bellevue Hospital.
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published December 28th 1994 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy All the Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy All the Time

Detour from Normal by Ken DicksonGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenWasted by Marya HornbacherA Million Little Pieces by James FreyNaked by David Sedaris
Mental Hospital Nonfiction
13th out of 56 books — 93 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenAn Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield JamisonThe Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins GilmanSurviving the Fourth Cycle by Nathan Daniels
Memoirs of Madness
60th out of 225 books — 304 voters

More lists with this book...

Meaghan
Mar 16, 2008 Meaghan rated it really liked it
A very thought-provoking and amusing memoir full of interesting and often wildly funny stories (albeit usually in a laugh-to-keep-from-crying way). The author gives insight not only into the patients but into the trainee therapists and the process of therapy itself. I really enjoyed this and found myself reading parts out loud to friends. I'm just glad my life isn't like the people's in this book!
Shay Caroline
Nov 10, 2012 Shay Caroline rated it really liked it
Dr. Covan is chief psychologist at Bellevue Hospital in New York (or was at the time of this book's publication) and with help from Carol Kahn, he has written a highly entertaining account of one year's crop of interns and some of the patients they encounter and try to help.

There is Kitty, whose paranoid schizophrenic patient spins tales of having slept with six presidents of the United States. This is perhaps not as challenging as Kitty's marriage, in which her husband expects her to come home
Debbie
Nov 24, 2008 Debbie rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Turns out that living through the internship was enough, and that I didn't really need to relive it in the pages of a book!
AJ
At first this book struck me as way too voyeuristic and "I'm the wise, sane, totally awesome dude running the show and of course I'm witty and everything goes well due to my great supervising."

The book covers a year in the life of interns at Bellevue hospital as told by the chief psychologist. Apparently the "characters" are composites so their identities can't be easily traced, but it was hard to tell, especially this being a book published before HIPAA.

I like reading books about mental illne
Emma
Jun 09, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
Not to downplay the seriousness (and abhorrence) of some of the cases dealt with in this book but honestly, it begins with a case of self-mutilation of the 'let's cut off my penis with pinking shears' variety (yes, I googled pinking shears - happy?), and moves along to cases of hysterical pregnancy, PTSD, transference, counter-transference, cannibalism, shrinks trying to justify sex with patients as therapeutic, shrinks trying to claim that the urge to commit parricide is 'universal'. I think th ...more
Patricia Kaniasty
You know how sometimes when you see a movie or read a book that is so inspiring that you want to run out and go back to school and do something different with your life?? This is one of those kind of books. Funny, scary, heartwarming, heartbreaking, ...........it has it all. Very thought provoking.
Megan Kestel
Jan 26, 2015 Megan Kestel rated it really liked it
Different from my usual read. Very different from the usual romantic filled plot lines truly depicts wonderful imagery from the perspectives of residents any psychologists dealing with patients.
Faiza
Apr 08, 2015 Faiza marked it as to-read
Shelves: maybe
whoa! this I have to read. Can't find it in my country at this time but it sounds amazing so I'd keep looking
Wendy
Aug 01, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-medical
I really liked the book. I wouldn't mind seeing more from the author. I am sure he has many more good stories. The book follows interns as they are learning how to deal with patients with psychiatric issues. I love reading about how the interns attempt to deal with the problems. They don't always get the results they want, but Dr. Covan directs them to use different approaches which usually yield better results.
Raquelle
Oct 06, 2013 Raquelle rated it it was amazing
An intriguing look into a psych ward. Dr. Covan is directing a group of interns and this book tells their tales of their internship at Bellevue. A very interesting read. The book was not a boring documentary at all, but a great combination of stories that you just can't get enough of. Wonderfully written.
Allison
Nov 02, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I enjoyed this as Dr. Covan guides a group of psychology interns through their year at Bellevue. There was a humanity in the patients' stories that is often subtracted in this type of book. Dr. Covan has a realism of what he is there to accomplish and what the human mind is capable of.
Emily Smiltneck
Feb 10, 2008 Emily Smiltneck rated it liked it
Read this book a long time ago... another of my mother's choices that I read to her. An excellent book, funny and serious at just the right times, and a wonderful look at a psych ward from the viewpoint of those who work there.
Beth
Apr 09, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Takes you to the dark and light sides of dealing mental illness from a practitioners standpoint. Definitely an easy, intriguing read with splatters of both humor and poignant thought.
Barry
Mar 06, 2016 Barry rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Covan is Chief Psychologist at Bellevue Hospital. The book is a year in the life of his six interns. Recommended by John Fox.
Molly O'sullivan
Aug 10, 2013 Molly O'sullivan rated it liked it
Interesting book but it was just that. It ended somewhat abruptly but based on the account of the year, it should have. Definitely a decent read but a book I will now give away.
Brian
May 21, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing

This book gave me hope that you don't have to lose your sense of humor to be a psychologist!
Katie
Mar 27, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Really interesting insight into work in a psychiatric hospital setting.
Tanesha Purvis
Sep 08, 2013 Tanesha Purvis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a perfect marriage between entertainment and knowledge; loved it.
Janice Osborne
Jan 12, 2013 Janice Osborne rated it it was amazing
Oh boy was it. Hard to put down if you like all the psych stories.
Lisa
Nov 13, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
A little entertaining, a little sententious.
Teresa
Aug 22, 2013 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
down to earth. fun and informational. loved it!
Camila
Apr 03, 2013 Camila rated it really liked it
Makes justice to its name.
Lisa
Aug 15, 2015 Lisa marked it as to-read
Shelves: psych
not at HCPL
Jerrie
Jerrie rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
nicole
nicole marked it as to-read
Glow
Glow marked it as to-read
heather shives
heather shives marked it as to-read
  • Danger to Self: On the Front Line with an ER Psychiatrist
  • Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals
  • A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy
  • Welcome to My Country
  • Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia
  • The Lobotomist: A Maverick Medical Genius and His Tragic Quest to Rid the World of Mental Illness
  • The Day the Voices Stopped
  • Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill
  • The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Bodies Under Siege: Self-mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry